PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Main Site (what do you think?) - Countdown timer added - 9 March 2011

Coyotegrey
31st Aug 2010, 18:28
Hello you beautiful people,

Straight to the point: What do you think of the current Deusex.com (http://deusex.com/) website? Is there anything you don't like? Do you have any recommendations? Let us know!

In another thread, H.D. Case suggested: "if your plans for releasing materials to the public ireally exists, why don't you put a meter on the webpage? That way we could at least know how long we have to wait and maybe even anticipate the new material more?"

This might be doable.

Ideally, the way I'm going to do this is you suggest some ideas, why you think they're good, and I'll compile them into a list and present them to the team here.

So...have fun!

SUMMARY OF SUGGESTIONS (in no particular order of importance)

1. Countdown meter
2. Game introduction
3. History of the previous games and links to the DX universe and how HR fits into the overall timeline and concept.
3. Official box art
4. In-depth sections for:

characters and factions
weapons
augmentations
localities (worldwide and relevant city maps)

5. More concept art and screenshots
6. Add all the earlier trailers and E3 gameplay trailer
7. Collectors' Edition section
8. Official competition to win some goodies
9. Offer tribute to the DX Logo
10. Possibly use a dynamic user interface (mouse-over interaction)
11. Perhaps improve on the tagline, "DISCOVER THE WORLD OF TOMORROW"
12. Guestbook area to leave comments/feedback
13. Introduction to the dev team and voice actors (and mini interviews)
14. In-game newspaper snippets (to build up atmosphere)
15. A journal from Adam (personal or work related)
16. Add music to the site
17. Fun flash game (pimp your aug/fly as Icarus without falling etc)
Or how about a facebook game where we battle each other using augs. We could then earn xp to upgrade our augs (or switch them out for better augs). You could throw in health, fitness and luck into the mix - just a bit of fun in the run up to release.
18. Return link to Dev Blog
19. Add forum FAQs inside the "Game" tag so that it isn't inactive
20. Add links to all the company YouTube channels.
21. The Story & Features section looks a bit barren.

TECHNICAL PROBLEMS/BUGS ETC.

The link to the store appears to be broken and gives the following error:
*Not Found / The requested URL /en/shop.html was not found on this server.

The RSS-feed (http://www.deusex.com/?func=rss) doesn't work with greader.

Is the Icarus by Michael McCann no longer available for download? If so - why?

The RSS feed fails. I get the information via feed however the links are bogus and sends me to a page with Error 404, Example link from feed "http://www.deusex.com/blogs/%5Bsname%5D"
Perhaps I would suggest having an external site for this or at least combining the feed with the official main blog/news for Eidos (if there is one

On the site of sarif industries, after the hacking, there is a mistake in file with armblade. We have three dimensions, one lenght 35cm, and section dimensions 10 i 50 cm- it should be milimeters I think.

Some issue with the forum - when I log in, in redirects me into the DX:HR subforum all right. But when I use opera, I get always kicked to the forums list. It's become tiresome after so many logging-ins. Any possibility of an Opera fix? (the best browser around, the one I feel like praising every time somebody mentions the "browser" word?)

Angel-A
31st Aug 2010, 18:54
I really like the site overall, It's great looking. And I like the idea of a meter/counter for releases.

Here's what I have to say:
I would love to see more of the concept art that's been made; it's just fantastic to look at. :thumb: Perhaps separate screenshots and concept art to better serve this purpose?

No DX logo in sight, just the triangles. :nut: Come on, everyone misses the DX logo, can't it be brought back?

The Media page only has the two latest trailers, dropping the first ones. Also appears to be missing the latest screenshots...? Would like it to be more... Complete...

Oh my, I am disapoint that the poll says "JC Denton" instead of "J.C." Those are his initials, it's not a full first name! And it also says "Ok" as opposed to "O.K." or "Okay". How (gramatically) Unprofessional...

IH-Denton
31st Aug 2010, 20:08
this is Enter-your-date-of-birth site. Nothing more nothing less (=

Dr_Bob
31st Aug 2010, 20:09
Hmm, maybe:

More in-game screenshots, separated into platform categories (PC/PS3/Xbox 360 screenshots).
A characters section
A weapons section
An augmentations section
A section on the locales you will visit
A section on a collector's edition and how the digital distribution method will handle it (if one is in the works)
Please fix the 'Game' button; it doesn't work.

Jerion
31st Aug 2010, 20:15
I'd like to see some screenshots of all three versions (PC, 360, PS3), and have the platform each shot was taken from clearly marked. :)

I know it's not exactly the right venue for it, but maybe an FAQ comparable to the pinned one on there so people can learn about and reference some details of the game quickly.

Ashpolt
31st Aug 2010, 20:28
Looks nice, no real substance.

How unbelievably fitting.

Laying aside the snarky comments for a while though, it could definitely do with more content. More screenshots! More news posts! (Hopefully that's something that should pick up now you're here...) Also, is it just me or does the "game" tab on the top not work?

There's also very little info about the actual game on there. And by very little, I mean none. Sure, there are the trailers and the screenshots, but imagine you're coming to this site for the first time: you've seen the trailer, you liked it, and you want to know more about the game. There's nothing to tell you what the game's about - even what kind of game it is (not helped at all by the trailers and screenshots - I genuinely would not know that this was even intended to be a "primarily" first person game from this site.) The site seems to assume you already know a lot about the game before you get there, and just want to see some pretty pictures.

Returning to "snarky" mode for a second, but to make a point: considering how much EM seems to be targeting the game itself towards an entirely new audience rather than long term fans of the series, to have the website going in completely the opposite direction is a somewhat staggering oversight.

Also, you may want to remove the "goodies" section for the media tab until you actually have something to put in there. It's sending the message of "we have no goodies" as it is.

Finally, is "DISCOVER THE WORLD OF TOMORROW" really the best tagline EM's marketing team could come up with? Come on guys, you can do better than that! "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" is much better, for instance.

Coyotegrey
31st Aug 2010, 20:40
Yeah, if we can keep the snarkiness to a minimum here that would be much more conducive to establishing a website we can all enjoy. I know what everyone thinks of the game right now, and I know how you all feel about past communications with EM, so let's focus on creating something better together. :)

Cronstintein
31st Aug 2010, 20:52
I actually think Ashpolt's making some good points in between jabs ;)
Even just a paragraph explaining the design philosophy of the game for a newcomer would make some sense to me. From the trailers it looks like it's just a run of the mill shooter + metal arms.
And rather than removing the section, give us goodies! Om nom nom.
Weapons/augs section = yes.
Countdown timer = doubleplus good (although refrain from counting interviews with no new content)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Aug 2010, 21:02
The site looks good to me but I agree with Cronstintein that an introduction to the game's design philosophy would be beneficial to newcomers.

I like H.D Case's countdown timer idea, so hope this can be done. :thumb:

May I suggest we have an official competition a few months before release date?
We all want that, surely! :D

Irate_Iguana
31st Aug 2010, 21:03
Is there anything you don't like?

A few things, but they won't be changed so I won't complain about it.

Do you have any recommendations?

We have this lovely FAQ on the forum and a big thread with quite a few screenshots and articles. Both of these contain a lot of useful information and images that can't be found anywhere on the site. Now, I would appreciate it if more newfriends join us in this barren wasteland, but it might help the game if people could find actual information about the game on the site. As Ashpolt said, if I am new to the game and go to the official page I can't find out anything about the game. The "Game" button doesn't work. Now I understand that any info will be in hype speak, but something would be much better than nothing.

Besides the screenshots you have going on that page there are a ton of really neat concept images that have already been released to the press. Images dealing with the Boxguard, weapons, antagonists, enemies and locations. Pretty pictures and it would be a shame to let them go to waste. Also, the current gallery is very heavy on the gold and black. I know those are the main colors of the game, but it couldn't hurt to show a bit of variation. As they say, variety is the spice of life.

Boxguard is focus-testing well with this forum. You might want to take note of that.

Coyotegrey
31st Aug 2010, 21:06
Good stuff, everyone. Keep it comin' if you can.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Aug 2010, 21:12
Good stuff, everyone. Keep it comin' if you can.

Okay, you asked for it. :p

Any chance we can read some information on the official box art and also the collectors' edition?

Gizmostuff
31st Aug 2010, 21:22
Hmm, maybe:

More in-game screenshots, separated into platform categories (PC/PS3/Xbox 360 screenshots).
A characters section
A weapons section
An augmentations section

Yes to all the above. Plus one.

Locations

Esnuk
31st Aug 2010, 21:46
I would like that the site had a section like this (http://splintercell.us.ubi.com/conviction/#/manofconviction/), with Adam instead of Sam.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Aug 2010, 21:59
I would like that the site had a section like this (http://splintercell.us.ubi.com/conviction/#/manofconviction/), with Adam instead of Sam.

Yes, I really like those dynamic interface websites.
(Hope that's the right terminology? :o )

Dr_Bob
31st Aug 2010, 22:00
Okay, you asked for it. :p

Any chance we can read some information on the official box art and also the collectors' edition?

Yes, I'd like to hear more on this, too.

Yes to all the above. Plus one.

Locations

Good suggestion.

Angel-A
31st Aug 2010, 23:01
I'll just put it out there that the DX fansites have fairly thorough synopsises (as far as can be done with the known info) of HR. Official site=nothing?
What the heck, man...
As stated above, plot introduction, overall game info, character profiles, in-game tech rundowns... Need this naooowgh.

Finally, is "DISCOVER THE WORLD OF TOMORROW" really the best tagline EM's marketing team could come up with? Come on guys, you can do better than that! "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" is much better, for instance.
To be honest, when reading that I can only think of the cryo-lab scientist from the first episode of Futurama.

WELCOME...
TO THE WOOOORLD OF TOMORROW

H.D.Case
1st Sep 2010, 01:37
To be honest, when reading that I can only think of the cryo-lab scientist from the first episode of Futurama.

WELCOME...
TO THE WOOOORLD OF TOMORROW

High five! :D The same here! I even went to look for the fragment on yt, but I could not find it. Makes it all so ridiculous, doesn't it? :) At least it is not the usual "The world as you know it will never be the same. A new era has come and nothing's gonna be the same again!"

H.D.Case
1st Sep 2010, 02:07
Thanks for giving some thought to my idea Coyotegrey :) I think that the website is pretty clean, which means it is good. It shouldn't be stripped off the dx stuff though, so I agree with others - it would be nice if all was gathered there :) Maybe it would be good to let people comment on seperate things?
I am glad that the trailer does not start automatically - this is one of the things that annoy me at other websites the most.
If your company's web designers feel up to a challenge, a flash presentation of weapons & stuff would be nice. Just as others below have already said. Along with items introduction, there could be an interactive presentation of weapons, augs and so on. Could look spectacular. Do you know what the weapons/ships presentation in the freespace series looked like? Just like the ship's presentation between 0:46-1:06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbo203HLAI I think, if it was flash based and interactive, that would be really great! Just like somebody stated on the forum some time ago - virus marketing works, so if not seperate sariff advertizing movies, then at least sth like that on the website? :)

Isterio
1st Sep 2010, 03:03
Improving the website?

Well, I do like the design, but as the others already said, the content is missing.

But how about:

- Some statements of the game testers .. I would like to know their thoughts about the game.
- I'm also interested in EM. Some pictures of the Devs working places and who is responsible for what etc. would be nice.
- Why not copying the text of the user manual to the website? Especially the part about augs and inventory would be intriguing.
- A Dev blog about the last balancing stuff maybe? Or at least a chat, where the devs appear to answer our questions once weekly? The scipt could then be placed in the forum. Star Trek Online did solve this quite well, before the game came out (didn't buy it though).
- How about some information about the game background? Why not publishing some ingame news already? You could already build up some atmosphere ("Bad fame for company XY introducing new YZ", "Riots in blabla because of this and that"). How about a journal of Adam before the game starts? Maybe he is writing about his work as security guard and give some family background? Maybe he's complaining how boring his life is at the moment.
- The marketing people are linking the game to the icarus myth. Why not give some information about this? Maybe not just the story everybody knows, but also some interesting links/connections to other aspects.
- How about a silly flashgame called "pimp your AUG" or something? Or flying as Icarus without falling down.

FrankCSIS
1st Sep 2010, 03:05
Visually speaking, it's pretty swell. A bit of a large emphasis on the partners and their non-fitting logos, but that can't be helped much, I assume.

A lot of things strike me as odd, content-wise, however.

The biggest issue, by far, is that it seems to take for granted the visitors already know all there is to know about the game, which completely nullifies the entire purpose of having a site up in the first place. It's not like the people here, or other followers of the game, will suddenly forget the game exists. Has anyone, during the creation process, wondered who the target of the site was, who it aims to inform, and what it wants to inform them of? Pretend for a minute you know nothing about the game, and you just typed in deusex.com. What's the first thing you see, once you pass the Minotaur's age test? Would you know what this whole site is about?

I understand the trailer is a big showpiece right now, but putting them both on the home tab. Really? And a poll to top the most important page of a website. Seriously, a poll. I'd understand the trailers if you (not you, you, btw, but you as who you represent) were going for a "oooh let's intrigue the visitor so he clicks around to find some more" strategy, but there IS litterally nothing more to explore right now, anywhere on the site.

Which brings me to my next question; Why is the "game" reduced to a tab? Is the game aspect just one part of DX:HR. Does Deusex.com offer other services we're not aware of yet? Regardless of what other game sites may look like, which I really don't care, the issue here seems to be that the site itself is built like a company website, not a product website. I almost expect to find a "contact us" section with an email adress to Sarif Industries somewhere in there.

Bar the trailers, absolutely none of the content released so far left and right by the hectic marketing plan has found a place on the website. Where are the hi-res screens released exclusively to magazines? Where is the plot of the game described only in parcels throughout 25 clone interviews? Where does HR fit within the Deus Ex story? Considering the weblink is Deusex.com, one might actually wonder how any of this fits into Deus Ex.

The news section is overly prominent. The recent news section on the home tab, coupled with an actual news tab, is out of place. Even as we near release, just how many news do you expect to show up that requires two news sections, when the game is reduced to a tab? Again, I wonder who the site is exactly aiming at, and what it wants to describe. Before you start making plans to link the news section to Twitter's subscribers, efforts should really be focused on site content.

I understand there is little content to provide right now, for reasons beyond my reach or yours, but once content does get released the site's entire structure will have to be revised, hence why I mention all of this now. You can't just use this foundation and pour in screens, character bios and other material within the tabs in place and have something coherent. Way, way too much info will be lost in the game tab, while the home page will be ridculously empty, with its poll on the side, as a final joke to the concept.

Pinky_Powers
1st Sep 2010, 03:45
I didn't even know there was an Official Site. :hmm:

FrankCSIS
1st Sep 2010, 03:52
I didn't even know there was an Official Site. :hmm:

That's another problem. It's quite simply underexposed.

Pinky_Powers
1st Sep 2010, 04:07
I imagine if there was any reason at all to go there, people would know about it, and go there. But we're not quite at that stage yet.

Don't worry, our new CM will handle the situation!

:flowers:

pha
1st Sep 2010, 04:15
A medium to directly contact the devs would be great, assuming they have absolutely no intention to use this official forum. There should also be more information about the gameplay and the overall game structure (for newcomers to the franchise and DX vets alike). And some PC version screenshots please!

avenging_teabag
1st Sep 2010, 06:18
Some links to the established DX universe would be great - what the past games were and how HR fits into the overall timeline and concept. Many people who are gonna play this game have no idea what this franchise is about.

And as someone said above, an explanation of the Icarus mythos, but let's take it a little further - how about a section dedicated to all the concept underlying the game ("Phylosophy" or something) - expanding a little on the Renaissance, Humanism, Rembrandt, mythology and so on? Could be interesting.

jtr7
1st Sep 2010, 07:58
I'd like to see the site as an introduction for the whole series, and the overall themes, and what sets this whole franchise apart from other games, and how these games impacted the industry and gamers, in their time and beyond, and make an attempt to turn people onto the differences they may not be aware of or never experienced in gaming for themselves. An honest fan-gush that isn't hype but piques genuine interest that won't lead to disappointment.

Pretentious Old Man.
1st Sep 2010, 10:38
Something else it needs:

ZCk8ByyCsks

AxiomaticBadger
1st Sep 2010, 10:56
It really does require more for people new to the franchise. Perhaps a small page describing the world, or in-game newspaper snipets / general literature springled throughout the site.

I also feel it's very scrunched up, for lack of a better phrase. All the information is packed into the middle of the page, with large amounts of wasted space on either side. It's the webspace equivelent of shyly hiding in the corner.

Lastly, get rid of links to sections that aren't there yet. It comes accross as, well, amateur.

edit----

Oh, forgot. When it comes to newsposts, we need quantity. Even if they consist of nothing more than "fixed a bug which would cause Adam to become blue."
Show us that the game lives!

H.D.Case
1st Sep 2010, 13:29
And as someone said above, an explanation of the Icarus mythos, but let's take it a little further - how about a section dedicated to all the concept underlying the game ("Phylosophy" or something) - expanding a little on the Renaissance, Humanism, Rembrandt, mythology and so on? Could be interesting.

No no no no NO NO NO NO NOOO!!!!! By George, it is NOT primary school! If people are idiots and know nothing at all about the world they grew up up, you think that GAME makers should SHOVE IT into their faces? The Icarus in the intro is pretentious enough, I ground my teeth when I was watching it for the first time. And you want to EXPAND on it? So you want to the game makers to tell you "We know that you are an undereducated fellow and your association skills are at minumum - here, take my hand, let's write DX for Dummies".

PS. My idea about the weapons - maybe static descriptions would be better anyway. if you ever decide on it, please make a community poll - I wonder what are other people's ideas of aesthetics :)

Fluffis
1st Sep 2010, 13:39
It really does require more for people new to the franchise. Perhaps a small page describing the world, or in-game newspaper snipets / general literature springled throughout the site.

This is one of the best suggestions I have seen. If there are such connections between the three games, perhaps a couple of article/literature snippets from each of the games that connect? They don't even have to be on the same page. Maybe a couple of quotes from each of the games, that tie in to the world in HR.

Not too noticeable, though. Maybe half-faded into the background in places around the site. You know; kind of like Easter Eggs.

avenging_teabag
1st Sep 2010, 14:00
No no no no NO NO NO NO NOOO!!!!! By George, it is NOT primary school! If people are idiots and know nothing at all about the world they grew up up, you think that GAME makers should SHOVE IT into their faces?
Not shoving anything bud, just a section giving a general outline of things. It's a teacher in me speaking possibly, but there are people who don't know the difference between Renaiisance and Baroque for example. How many have caught the meaning of the Aquinas protocol in DX?

MrFoxter
1st Sep 2010, 14:08
Okay, here are just few ideas.

Has any of you participated in Portal ARG? That was very awesome way to release new informations, but I know that's a lot to ask from EM.

Anyway, what about some videos with developers, introducing augmentations or different gameplay styles? For example, Mass Effect 2 had six short videos of same situation, one for every character class. You could see the variability of play-style according to the class you had chosen, you could see the actual game in motion, all that with commentary from developers. I really liked this way of introduction :)

It would be also great to have something like little knowledge base. What is Sarif, how the world looks like in 2027, what are current trends, descriptions of future technology... IMHO that adds solid background to the game world and makes the whole experience deeper and believable.

TrickyVein
1st Sep 2010, 14:18
^^All of that would make sense, right?

Apparently, for whatever reason(s), that's where EM thinks you're wrong. :)

And who are we to complain? We are little people. :D

MrFoxter
1st Sep 2010, 14:27
^^All of that would make sense, right?

Apparently, for whatever reason(s), that's where EM thinks you're wrong. :)

And who are we to complain? We are little people. :D

There better be some brain-exploding surprise, or I do not really know why they are keeping their mouths shut.

TrickyVein
1st Sep 2010, 14:32
To ignorance!

Cheers.

Angel-A
1st Sep 2010, 18:00

I also feel it's very scrunched up, for lack of a better phrase. All the information is packed into the middle of the page, with large amounts of wasted space on either side. It's the webspace equivelent of shyly hiding in the corner.

Lastly, get rid of links to sections that aren't there yet. It comes accross as, well, amateur.

edit----

Oh, forgot. When it comes to newsposts, we need quantity. Even if they consist of nothing more than "fixed a bug which would cause Adam to become blue."
Show us that the game lives!

1+

Yeah, the site absolutely needs a primer to the Deus Ex universe. A lot of people will be totally unaware that this is a prequel and that this is one of a series, they will know nothing of the backstories and timeline (Hey! That's another thing to have... A Deus Ex timeline!).

DON_The_Grey
1st Sep 2010, 22:14
Hey Coyote aka Community - Grey?! :)

I'D like to express compliance for many of above listed aspects to improve the websites performance, especially to newbies.

I want to stress importance really to provide information of the game. Compressed, dense, highly informative. A Short overview. It must be said that theres no reason to not put content on the website which is already published to media, isnt it?

Further you MUST make the E3 -Trailer available right on the main page.(No automatic intro)
Place it nxt recent gamescom Trailer or whatever, but that E3 Trailer was Awesome man so show it to people!!!

Slack
2nd Sep 2010, 00:51
More information =)
And more concept art, things like that.

KSingh77
2nd Sep 2010, 01:59
A bio of all the characters we seen so far would be nice,a list of weapons and augs that will be in this game,also a list of screen shots and gameplay vids.

El_Bel
2nd Sep 2010, 02:34
Everyone, stop posting! Stop press! This guy asks us how to best sell his stuff to us. And you are giving this information for free! Did you all fail your bargain roll?

I say we ask something in return! If the lead game designer has time to write to us an explanation about Health Regeneration, we will help him sell his game. Oh and he must not bother about how you could spam medkits. We want to see why he chose to get rid of limbs health system and why he chose regenerating health instead of all the alternatives (it didnt have to be like deus ex) and what does he think about regeneration killing tension.

I am just joking :D

Or maybe not, who is with me?!!!

Irate_Iguana
2nd Sep 2010, 08:54
Or maybe not, who is with me?!!!

I'm doing the mafia thing. I've given him info and when he uses it, I will come 'round and collect. With baseball bats.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Sep 2010, 12:51
Just under Kyle's first post, I've created a short summary of suggestions so far received. If I've missed anything out, please nudge me and I'll update the list again.

xsamitt
2nd Sep 2010, 12:51
Something else it needs:

ZCk8ByyCsks

Yes music........Beautiful DX music....The best Music for a gaming title I've ever heard.Give the choise to turn it off of course but the DX Music needs to start playing.

rokstrombo
2nd Sep 2010, 17:06
I think the current Deus Ex page looks fantastic and is quite functional in terms of usability:

I appreciate the effort to show elements of the community by including blog headlines and prominent links to the forums on the homepage. I think the demonstration of an active community goes a long way towards encouraging new visitors to procede further in their exploration of the website. Excellent work! I'm not sure that the poll is neccessary, though.
The layout of the website is intuitive and quite efficient. When viewed on IE8 at least, some vertical space is wasted at the top (a few pixels) in the area just above the main logo which may increase the need for scrolling on low resolution screens.
There is a minor a mistake on the "News" and "Media" pages. The "News" and "Media" text at the top does not default to white on their respective pages, as it does on the "Home" and "Pre-Order" pages to signify that the user is viewing "News" or "Pre-order", for example.
The "Game" page is missing... the most important page! ;)
The trailers are in an .mp4 container and no Flash is used in any components of the layout. Presumably this means that the website can be viewed using an iPhone? If so, well done!
The "News" section allows navigation using a representation of a calendar. I think this could be tweaked to improve usability. Firstly, the left and right icons (for changing the month) may be a bit too small for some users to click accurately. Secondly, the individual dates may be easier to select if the whole rectangle area surrounding each date were clickable rather than the text only. Thirdly, it could be helpful for users of touch screens if clicking a date provided some visual feedback to the user (such as by changing colour).
I think the "Discover the world of tomorow" tagline is a bit lame given that there is not a lot of information about this world to be found on the homepage. In my opinion, for this tagline to work it needs to be considered in the context of the story, rather than the development, community or merchandise. I think it would best be placed with a link to the "Game" page and a blurb, or on the "Game" page itself.
On the "Video" page of "Media", I think the download links would be better described using text links rather than small icons. It would also be useful to know the resolution and size of these files before downloading them.
On the "Images" page of "Media", I think it would be helpful to have some text instructing the user where to click to enlarge the image. Currently the possibility of viewing the full image is not described. Also, I appreciate that each image includes a brief description!

Additionally, I disagree with the suggestions for a Flash game, guestbook and "dynamic user interface":

I don't think it would be particularly productive to bury what is essentially promotional information in a Flash game.
A simple guestbook is unsuitable for the volume of users and redundant given the existance of this forum.
"Dynamic user interfaces" often suffer from performance and compatibility issues, especially given the popularity of mobile internet devices. That Splinter Cell website could have been presented much more efficiently on about 10 flat pages. Instead, I had to wait 4+ minutes for it to download and click 20+ awkwardly-placed links to find the same information. I don't think the facilitation of a few unneeded animations is worth these significant usability issues.

MrFoxter
2nd Sep 2010, 17:55
Just under Kyle's first post, I've created a short summary of suggestions so far received. If I've missed anything out, please nudge me and I'll update the list again.

Nice work! ;)

Additionally, I disagree with the suggestions for a Flash game, guestbook and "dynamic user interface":

I must agree with your disagreement. Dynamic Flash page may look cool, but I could not even display that Splinter Cell stuff (told me that I have wrong version of Flash Player). These websites are also very slow and chaotic. Not good idea.

icks
3rd Sep 2010, 00:35

[snip]
"Dynamic user interfaces" often suffer from performance and compatibility issues, especially given the popularity of mobile internet devices. That Splinter Cell website could have been presented much more efficiently on about 10 flat pages. Instead, I had to wait 4+ minutes for it to download and click 20+ awkwardly-placed links to find the same information. I don't think the facilitation of a few unneeded animations is worth these significant usability issues.

I must agree with your disagreement. Dynamic Flash page may look cool, but I could not even display that Splinter Cell stuff (told me that I have wrong version of Flash Player). These websites are also very slow and chaotic. Not good idea.

"Flash?" checkbox besides the birthdate drop downs, pretty please. Everyone's happy. :)

jtr7
3rd Sep 2010, 00:42
If DX:HR is only being marketed to the gamers with the excess money and the big rigs, then the sites can be packed with stuff only those rigs can handle, and everyone else can just be jealous and angry.

Anyway, the main site used to have the "Blog" button, and it was removed, but the "Blog" button still remains on the EM Home site.

DeusWhatever
4th Sep 2010, 01:45
The page is nice, still its kind of annyoing to have a Widescreen and no page uses the space ...

And btw. is this "Date of Birth" thing something ppl have to do in the states or is it just for fun? I mean honestly you will neither get real data by it nor will it stop any teenager from entering, i dont really get this thing?

MrFoxter
4th Sep 2010, 07:46
The page is nice, still its kind of annyoing to have a Widescreen and no page uses the space ...

And btw. is this "Date of Birth" thing something ppl have to do in the states or is it just for fun? I mean honestly you will neither get real data by it nor will it stop any teenager from entering, i dont really get this thing?

It's just for peace of mind of some people, which won't shut up. Porn sites have this age gate too, therefore they can say to those people "we warned you & your children, the rest is up to you :whistle:".

Pinky_Powers
4th Sep 2010, 08:34

It's a law. If your game has violent content you have to put up a useless Age Line to weed out the young. It's not meant to be fool-proof.
But if your kid is caught visiting the site, he clearly got there in full presence of mind and with intent of deception. So parents have almost no ground on which to sue. And they are forced to give up their wicked child to whatever work camp the government chooses.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Sep 2010, 22:57
Anyway, the main site used to have the "Blog" button, and it was removed, but the "Blog" button still remains on the EM Home site.

I've made note of this in the summary. :thumb:

FrankGuy
7th Sep 2010, 21:52
The new target audience for this game may not respond well to reading but until you have something for the empty 'Game' tag you should put your existing FAQ there so that the "reading types" might also be intrigued by the game. The video presentations so far, although attractive, just seem to me to be hinting at another puerile shooter. Your FAQ hints at so much more.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841

Look at the efforts being made to sell my other sure purchase next year. They leave no doubt in their rhetoric and video demos that it will have multiple paths and outcomes and that it will feature player choices each with real consequences.
http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=28407

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Sep 2010, 08:09
^
Thank you. Summary updated for Kyle.

hem dazon 90
8th Sep 2010, 08:30
The new target audience for this game may not respond well to reading

Nothing to see here move on.

FrankGuy
8th Sep 2010, 16:49
Nothing to see here move on.

OK it's a lot to read and I don't mean to imply that their marketing is perfect.

"• TW2 will have 16 endings, they will be influenced by our alliances, attitude to various social groups in-game, political decisions etc.
• Moral choices – of course stay."

The first video linked in the FAQ starts with a brief presentation in German but continues in English.
The video is a demonstration of how the dungeon prologue provides several paths that will affect the outcomes of the game.

My point in comparing the two games is that a similar marketing effort should be made with Deus Ex.
I will purchase the Witcher 2 because it is structured like this and I *should* be wanting Deus Ex for the same reasons but it is not apparent to me from the web site in question.

Daedalus Ciarán
9th Sep 2010, 13:42
I'm still surprised EM seems to be ignoring the previous games. You would think, considering the way EM use some of their magazine previews, they're using DX and IW as springboards to sales and success. Why not show the history of the originals, and why they're so popular and respected, on the website? The domain name is deusex after all, not deusexhumanrevolution. New people may then have a greater appreciation for what EM are trying to do in making another story. It'd be better than having a tab marked 'Game' which doesn't work.

But maybe they're afraid of coming off badly in a comparison, who can say. Also, maybe, just maybe, a colour which isn't gold or black? They really begin to blend into eachother after a while. I know it's the colour of the game, but it's all so soft it's a bit boring, in my opinion. What's wrong with blue? Or green? Or red? Look at the EM store, brighter, colder colours which stand off eachother. The fact that the pictures aren't the same two colours help them stand out as well and make the whole thing a bit more lively and interesting to look at. I'll happily concede I might be alone in this, and everyone else loves the constant gold and black for everything, but I just think it's dulling.

Coyotegrey
9th Sep 2010, 14:27

Oh my. That's a lot of info. Very cool. As a huge fan, I'll be diving into this soon. On a related note, have they announced anything similar to the director's cut of the original, especially in regards to harsher language and the uh...uncensored bits? Those two things really upped the realism and immersion in the first, for me.

Professionally, I love that topic. Lotta info there. What do you guys think?

FrankGuy
9th Sep 2010, 15:20
They have dropped the "girl cards" from this game in preference for what they describe will by a "relationship" approach to the man-woman thing. If you watch that first dungeon video you will see, however, that nudity is a part of the game. I don't know if they will have to provide local versions of the game yet. Perhaps they also don't know.

I wonder what is in store for us in that department with Deus Ex. Can you tell us something?

Coyotegrey
9th Sep 2010, 15:41
They have dropped the "girl cards" from this game in preference for what they describe will by a "relationship" approach to the man-woman thing. If you watch that first dungeon video you will see, however, that nudity is a part of the game. I don't know if they will have to provide local versions of the game yet. Perhaps they also don't know.

I wonder what is in store for us in that department with Deus Ex. Can you tell us something?

Negative. It's not that I'm barred from speaking on this subject, I just don't know myself.

Pinky_Powers
9th Sep 2010, 18:03
I was crazy excited to see Stealth gameplay in a Witcher2 video I was watching.

I'm going to really like this game.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Sep 2010, 19:57
Anymore suggestions to add, guys 'n' gals?

SUMMARY OF SUGGESTIONS (in no particular order of importance)

1. Countdown meter
2. Game introduction
3. History of the previous games and links to the DX universe and how HR fits into the overall timeline and concept.
3. Official box art
4. In-depth sections for:

characters and factions
weapons
augmentations
localities (worldwide and relevant city maps)

5. More concept art and screenshots
6. Add all the earlier trailers and E3 gameplay trailer
7. Collectors' Edition section
8. Official competition to win some goodies
9. Offer tribute to the DX Logo
10. Possibly use a dynamic user interface (mouse-over interaction)
11. Perhaps improve on the tagline, "DISCOVER THE WORLD OF TOMORROW"
12. Guestbook area to leave comments/feedback
13. Introduction to the dev team and voice actors (and mini interviews)
14. In-game newspaper snippets (to build up atmosphere)
15. A journal from Adam (personal or work related)
16. Add music to the site
17. Fun flash game (pimp your aug/fly as Icarus without falling etc)
18. Return link to Dev Blog
19. Add forum FAQs inside the "Game" tag so that it isn't inactive

Coyotegrey
15th Sep 2010, 20:06

Yeah, keep 'em coming, if you can. We're adding more to the site soon. We'd love to add the additions immediately after you recommend them, but unfortunately that's not the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. But know that you ARE being heard.

Corpus
15th Sep 2010, 20:12
Something like under the sea for bioshock 2 with random paper clippings, adams window seems to be filled with all sorts. Info can just be about the world but not linked to what you will experience like the daily news on ME2 cerberus network.

Some kind of comments system could be nice, or something to display facebook comments real time

Coyotegrey
15th Sep 2010, 20:22
Something like under the sea for bioshock 2 with random paper clippings, adams window seems to be filled with all sorts. Info can just be about the world but not linked to what you will experience like the daily news on ME2 cerberus network.

Some kind of comments system could be nice, or something to display facebook comments real time

Comments are definitely on the way. I think we may have something in the pipeline similar to the Bioshock 2 thing, but not HERE...

jtr7
15th Sep 2010, 20:28
Are non-core-team members from T4 working on DX:HR, and is that where 60-or-so extra members have come from for DX:HR, above the original 80-member goal mentioned on the recruitment pages?

FrankGuy
15th Sep 2010, 21:43

I am actually not concerned that the "Game" tab is empty. What I was trying to suggest is that the most important elements of the game for me are not being sold or even addressed on the site and that your FAQ, if placed there, might help sell those elements of stealth, multiple paths, deep detailed characterization of the NPCs and real consequences for player choices.

Imagine a game demo narrated slowly and in detail by Mary DeMarle focusing on player choice and interaction with game characters instead of just movies of back to back explosions and stabbings. You already have the exploding action covered well by the existing movies.

Look at these guys doing it and their game also isn't yet finished.

http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=29935.0

They have me sold! Where do I sign up for the pre-sale with the two cent discount?

Mary can do this just as well as those guys can. What are you waiting for? She can make the same disclaimers about how the game isn't finished that these guys do. I already heard her. I know it's true! I mean, what's the hold up? Make that web site work and sell the game already!

Slack
16th Sep 2010, 01:03
PLEASE update it!

Corpus
16th Sep 2010, 07:49
Comments are definitely on the way. I think we may have something in the pipeline similar to the Bioshock 2 thing, but not HERE...

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any wayward viral sites.

El_Bel
16th Sep 2010, 18:59
Possibly use a dynamic user interface

No

Fun flash game (pimp your aug/fly as Icarus without falling etc)

and no. Please god no.

H.D.Case
16th Sep 2010, 19:40
Yeah, the proposed no 17 about flash games sounds somehow out of place, don't you think? Seriously, maybe it is just me, but if you intend to talk about this icarus myth and so on some more, it will start to look like the game is aimed at retards. When I read some posts, it seems it may head this way: "Icarus! Ya dig? The son of big D. The guy with wax wings, man! You know, mythology. Greeks, man! A long time ago. Yes, before TV was developed. Even before printing press, man! Knights? No no no, not yet. No, they were not Christians. So the guy is like Icarus, yeah? No, no, no wax wings. He just can't use this new technology. Wings are like technology. Thaaaat's riight! Too reckless. Get it, get it?" As far as I am concerned, in DX nobody explained things like that, even though there was terminology derived from the old times. And it worked! ;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 22:11
Agreed. I don't think many people liked the flash game idea. :hmm:
But it was asked, so it's only fair to put it on the list.

Unless we secretly remove it and hope whoever thought of the idea, doesn't notice.... :whistle:

JCpies
17th Sep 2010, 06:23
It's a law. If your game has violent content you have to put up a useless Age Line to weed out the young. It's not meant to be fool-proof.
But if your kid is caught visiting the site, he clearly got there in full presence of mind and with intent of deception. So parents have almost no ground on which to sue. And they are forced to give up their wicked child to whatever work camp the government chooses.

Pinky is right, I got in didn't I?

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 09:16
Pinky is right, I got in didn't I?

I forgot about that post.

By a raise of hands, who here caught the Harry Potter reference I tucked away in my gibberish?

H.D.Case
17th Sep 2010, 11:56
Yeah. Huuushhhh! ;)

II J0SePh X II
17th Sep 2010, 21:10
How about a facebook game where we battle each other using augs. We could then earn xp to upgrade our augs (or switch them out for better augs). You could throw in health, fitness and luck into the mix - just a bit o fun in the run up to release.

jtr7
17th Sep 2010, 21:44
Links to all the company YouTube channels?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 22:46
^^
Added to summary.

ZakKa89
18th Sep 2010, 08:56
I think the site si too yellow and doesnt look professional enough. It looks like a fan-site.

http://www.starcraft2.com

this is how you make a professional site : )

Pinky_Powers
18th Sep 2010, 09:37
I think the site si too yellow and doesnt look professional enough. It looks like a fan-site.

They feel like they were designed by the same person, honestly. They both represent their game well, and they're easy to navigate.

I get it, you like Star Craft. Who doesn't? That's got nothing to do with web design, though.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Sep 2010, 13:47
I think the site si too yellow

I'm fine with the colour. Goes with the game and the symbolism.

pringlepower
20th Sep 2010, 23:59

Too blue.

JCpies
21st Sep 2010, 06:22
How about a facebook game where we battle each other using augs. We could then earn xp to upgrade our augs (or switch them out for better augs). You could throw in health, fitness and luck into the mix - just a bit o fun in the run up to release.

How about a game that doesn't involve that goddamn site stealing my fake identity?

TrickyVein
21st Sep 2010, 20:52
Someone here mention facebook? Yep, you just dated yourself.

fchopin
24th Sep 2010, 13:52
I am new to the forums and find them confusing.

I saw the trailers and found them interesting so came here to find out info on the new game.
What i would like to know is what sort of game this is (not played any previous Deus games).
Is it an RPG, non linear game, first or third person etc.

Anything that helps with the above info and easy to find links to trailers and other info on the game would help.

Corpus
24th Sep 2010, 14:07

I saw the trailers and found them interesting so came here to find out info on the new game.
What i would like to know is what sort of game this is (not played any previous Dues games).

Anything that helps with the above info and easy to find links to trailers and other info on the game would help.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39170/

You can look at that for now, but yeah they should put some game info up since the trailers are gaining a ton of interest.

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 14:20

What i would like to know is what sort of game this is (not played any previous Deus games).

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841

fchopin
24th Sep 2010, 16:10
Thanks for the the links.

King Nonentity
24th Sep 2010, 18:07
my 2 cents. I don't care what it looks like, the software is ok too, but IDC. It's all these posts/users that make it awesome. Every time I come here, I get strange looks from my co-workers because I'm LMAO!!! Seriously. You guys make this place rock. I'm going back to the planetary ass theory thread. Bye!

FrankCSIS
24th Sep 2010, 23:28

I'm quite amused by the fact that this was posted the same day I get a notice on top of the forum telling me to follow the news on twitter and facebook.

What did I say, three weeks ago? Ah, yes:

Before you start making plans to link the news section to Twitter's subscribers, efforts should really be focused on site content.

From now on, you may call me Nostradamus. Alternatively, I may be available for a PR job. :p

kikilkiki
29th Sep 2010, 08:09
I think all listed ideas are good. Definitely more media / more lore.
Wuold also be good to have some designer / developer interviews a la "making of".

AlexOfSpades
29th Sep 2010, 15:39
I think we could have an ActionScript in the Flash background with a random variable of 1 in 100. Each time you enter the website, the variable receives a different value, that is stored on your cookies. As soon as a certain number is obtained (for example, the variable receives 88) a odd glitch featuring Daedalus appears.

That is,

Every time you enter the website, there's a random choice of an "hacking" attempt in the website made by Daedalus or something like that.

www.ilovebees.com

Check that (And all of the other pages, they're insane)

JCpies
29th Sep 2010, 16:23
How about making a level of Deus Ex available to play in-browser on the site. The new IE should be able to handle it... of course.

AlexOfSpades
29th Sep 2010, 17:02
Of the first Deus Ex?

JCpies
29th Sep 2010, 20:10
Of the first Deus Ex?

Yes, I don't particularly like saying 'Deus Ex 1'.

AlexOfSpades
29th Sep 2010, 21:16
Mmm. I dont know how they could make a portable version of the Unreal engine to put on a browser.

JCpies
30th Sep 2010, 06:17
Mmm. I dont know how they could make a portable version of the Unreal engine to put on a browser.

I was err kind of joking. xD

Senka
30th Sep 2010, 06:49
Needs more in-game footage.

Esnuk
1st Oct 2010, 17:07
Why was the MEDIA section removed from the site? And why the section GAME, now available, contains nothing?

Corpus
1st Oct 2010, 17:14
Background of this pleeeeeeeease!
http://gyazo.com/8123c370ab3e158af1c723ec38b752c1.png
Also, ex swat?

MrFoxter
1st Oct 2010, 17:40
Also, ex swat?

Oh sure. Adam worked in SWAT with officer from police station (which he needs to infiltrate). Adam can talk to officer about their past and then should be able to convince him to let Adam in.

It was featured in only-for-press presentation. There is plenty of articles from this event (sorry, I don't have any link at hand).

Corpus
1st Oct 2010, 17:45
Oh sure. Adam worked in SWAT with officer from police station (which he needs to infiltrate). Adam can talk to officer about their past and then should be able to convince him to let Adam in.

It was featured in only-for-press presentation. There is plenty of articles from this event (sorry, I don't have any link at hand).

Yeah I knew that I just didn't hear why he knew him. First time I read it I thought it was a little too convenient that he knew the guy but this makes sense :)

MrFoxter
1st Oct 2010, 17:47
Yeah I knew that I just didn't hear why he knew him. First time I read it I thought it was a little too convenient that he knew the guy but this makes sense :)

In some previews they do not mention even the officer, so it's probably not your fault... :)

Pinky_Powers
1st Oct 2010, 18:00
so it's probably not your fault...

Best to just say it is, though. ;)

Corpus
1st Oct 2010, 18:30
Best to just say it is, though. ;)

Thanks.

Quoted from the EG article: "Wayne Haas has been living under a cloud for two years, ever since Jensen - then a cop, by the sound of it - rejected an order to shoot an augmented child. Haas was next in line and pulled the trigger. He tells Jensen that nobody gets into the morgue. Fair enough, says Jensen, you're only following orders. You were always good at that."
Now that is interesting. I wondered if they augmented children.

Esnuk
1st Oct 2010, 18:43
Thanks.

Quoted from the EG article: "Wayne Haas has been living under a cloud for two years, ever since Jensen - then a cop, by the sound of it - rejected an order to shoot an augmented child. Haas was next in line and pulled the trigger. He tells Jensen that nobody gets into the morgue. Fair enough, says Jensen, you're only following orders. You were always good at that."

Could this be a reference to the fetus in the first trailer?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Oct 2010, 10:08
Main site updated with a new Story & Features section.

Corpus
3rd Oct 2010, 11:32
Could this be a reference to the fetus in the first trailer?

Doubt it, this was way back in the day. Emil is the product of some aug company, someone's ideal vision of humanity's future. Heck it could have just been a visualization and nothing more.

Pinky_Powers
3rd Oct 2010, 17:02
Thanks.

What EG article? Do you have a link?

Corpus
3rd Oct 2010, 18:24
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-19-deus-ex-human-revolution-preview

KSingh77
3rd Oct 2010, 19:38
It says Adam pulls out a non-lethal energy weapon and sends enemies flying.

Interesting,looks like non-lethal takedowns are not the only one to knock out an enemy.

Corpus
3rd Oct 2010, 19:56
It says Adam pulls out a non-lethal energy weapon and sends enemies flying.

Interesting,looks like non-lethal takedowns are not the only one to knock out an enemy.

They've stated before there are non-lethal weapons and ammo types.

DavidPlisken
6th Oct 2010, 21:35
I find the Story & Features section a bit barren. Mabey a few pic should be added,
consider the offical image tread. That should give a good idea.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Oct 2010, 16:00
Don't forget to check the summary of questions (first page), as you'll find that many have already been asked. :)

massimilianogoi
22nd Oct 2010, 23:24
Hy people!! :) I'm from the Thief 4 board, and I want to say that I'm very impatient to see DX 3 coming out! The date is already fixed?

AlexOfSpades
22nd Oct 2010, 23:30
Hy people!! :) I'm from the Thief 4 board, and I want to say that I'm very impatient to see DX 3 coming out! The date is already fixed?

Greetings my good taffer, do you recognize me? (:~

Welcome.

I dont know if its exactly fixed, but a lof of official fonts mentioned Ferbruary as the release.

I think JJB himself said that the game will be released on date

jtr7
22nd Oct 2010, 23:51
At this time, the date is the nebulous "Early 2011", and subject to change.

Esnuk
19th Nov 2010, 19:17
There is a problem viewing the video "Deus Ex: Human Revolution Gameplay Trailer" on the homepage of the site and in the MEDIA section. Can someone fix it, please?

Zahar
25th Nov 2010, 08:04
The site looks great, but the link to the gameplay video is broken.

Pinky_Powers
25th Nov 2010, 11:51
The site looks great, but the link to the gameplay video is broken.

It's never worked, and I'm pretty sure it's never going to. You can find it on YouTube, though.

3rdmillhouse
27th Nov 2010, 21:44
Unless you're planning on releasing an artbook, I'd say it would be a good idea to plaster concept art and renders all over the website.

H.D.Case
27th Nov 2010, 21:48
Some issue with the forum - when I log in, in redirects me into the DX:HR subforum all right. But when I use opera, I get always kicked to the forums list. It's become tiresome after so many logging-ins. Any possibility of an Opera fix? (the best browser around, the one I feel like praising every time somebody mentions the "browser" word?)

Corpus
27th Nov 2010, 21:51

I'm using opera and I've never had that problem. Try clearing private data and see if that works.

H.D.Case
28th Nov 2010, 14:36
I'm using opera and I've never had that problem. Try clearing private data and see if that works.

Hmh...I'll try and let you know, thanks for the tip. Only ss soon as I read all those opened tabs, unfortunately (*mumbles*)

Corpus
30th Nov 2010, 18:46
Site got re-designed.

http://deusex.com/

Esnuk
30th Nov 2010, 18:51
\/\/ () \/\/ :eek::eek::eek: \/\/ () \/\/.

amk84
30th Nov 2010, 20:22
On the site of sarif industries, after the hacking, there is a mistake in file with armblade. We have three dimensions, one lenght 35cm, and section dimensions 10 i 50 cm- it should be milimeters I think.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Nov 2010, 21:58
Site got re-designed.

http://deusex.com/

It's looking good!

H.D.Case
30th Nov 2010, 22:19
Hmh...I'll try and let you know, thanks for the tip. Only ss soon as I read all those opened tabs, unfortunately (*mumbles*)

Still does not work, although it doesn't matter now. Cheers! :)

Coyotegrey
6th Dec 2010, 17:48
Thanks for the heads-up that some links are busted. You guys and gals are invaluable.

If you find anything else, please let us know. Mods, can you update the first post to include this information if/when it arrives? This way the web team can pop in, see what's wrong, and fix it asap.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Dec 2010, 19:08
^
Done.

oCMob
6th Dec 2010, 20:13
Is the Icarus by Michael McCann no longer available for download? If so - why?

mad825
9th Dec 2010, 12:25
The RSS feed fails.

I get the information via feed however the links are bogus and sends me to a page with Error 404, Example link from feed "http://www.deusex.com/blogs/%5Bsname%5D"

perhaps I would suggest having an external site for this or at least combining the feed with the official main blog/news for Eidos (if there is one :scratch:)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
9th Dec 2010, 21:13
^
Updated first post with these errors.

Pinky_Powers
9th Dec 2010, 22:42
I scoured the Main Site but couldn't find the link to Pequod's. This should be dealt with immediately. I do not do well without my coffee.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
9th Dec 2010, 23:22
I think I said it in the wrong thread, so I'll say it here.

The calendar function on the main site is awesome, it really looks like UI from the game.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
16th Dec 2010, 22:13
I see recurring issues:

1. People searching info that is spread over several different sites, communities.
Common searches are vista issues, game installation issues, mismatch error, bugs, critical errors, gpf's.
2. People can not be given definitive download or links pages, because Developer and Fan content is separate, fan content being separated between several communities as well.
3. Polling the community is again a case of delving amongst different factions and sites.
4. Information often conflicts, a few mods or downloads are forgotten, or generally nothing is comprehensive.

When you visit DeusExCentral.com it caters for all three titles and other media too, which is truly wonderful, but if you click on "forums" you come straight here, to the forums of a particular title. My suggestion is simple. DeusExCentral develops.

The first thing I would do is create comprehensive forums, of which this forums would just be one category. I would then collate all the FAQ threads in the support forums at Eidos. I would then visit offtopic, alpha, gravity-world, triad, unreal, facebook, all the other communities and do the same thing. In a reciprocal move, market the new forums to all these communities as well. Essentially taking up where planetdeusex.com has not for several years.

A new fan would be able to download or upload mods, maps, FAQ's, tacks DX lab, DX3 DLC everything...Fans could interact without fear of the reprisals for starting a DX1 or DX2 or DX3 thread. The modding community would not be working in different directions. The player community would get definitive and comprehensive information on common or current issues. And if we are lucky admins of DX sites will get some time to play DX3...

I thought about this when I saw that a guy on Facebook was asking about Deus Ex mods, no-one could give him a complete and comprehensive link to all the mods. I've seen other queries like this, that DeusExCentral.com could be the answer to. Besides a few gig of downloads hosting, this wouldn't cost Eidos any more. I'm sure Offtopic, FGS, Alpha, Triad, THC, Unreal, Facebook, Eidos, DX3 forums could between them spare enough admin effort. We've seen recently Eidos getting more involved with the community and supporting them in fantastic ways. This is the logical step to save time and energy for everyone, especially the beginner.

What say you?

Irate_Iguana
16th Dec 2010, 22:16
Shadowrunner;1543754']We've seen recently Eidos getting more involved with the community and supporting them in fantastic ways.

We have?

Jerion
16th Dec 2010, 22:17
If you consider the community to go beyond these measly forums, yes.

Not that they had a very high bar to pass in getting *more* involved all around, mind you.

Irate_Iguana
16th Dec 2010, 22:25
If you consider the community to go beyond these measly forums, yes.

Now I am intrigued. Besides some twitter questions, how have they been getting more involved with everybody except us and supported them in fantastic ways? Because according to Shadowrunner and you the official forum is the last place I should be if I want to learn about HR.

Jerion
16th Dec 2010, 22:31
It's the little things. An expanded Fb presence. More twitter involvement. Putting support behind a DX 1 mod. More developer messages aimed straight to the community. That JJB podcast that's somewhere in the yet-to-be-posted ether.

You seem really bitter about this community thing. Time to step back a bit and cool down on the subject?

68_pie
16th Dec 2010, 22:37
Shadowrunner;1543754']We've seen recently Eidos getting more involved with the community and supporting them in fantastic ways.

This is, perhaps, somewhat hyperbolic.

It's not a terrible idea but if people cannot be bothered to do a decent search then I can't really be arsed to help them.

Darth Eclipse
16th Dec 2010, 23:18
We have?

We have...Not

Irate_Iguana
16th Dec 2010, 23:21
You seem really bitter about this community thing. Time to step back a bit and cool down on the subject?

Bitter. Resentful. In a sense I suppose I am. Not because of a lack of communication an sich. If they had kept to themselves and just got on with it I'd be cool with that. What pisses me off is the constant hypocrisy of the situation. Pretending to be big with the community and doing ****-all in reality. See, I don't forget the pr-remarks about listening, the soon, the lies, the silence and the jabs. It just makes the claims that they are reading, listening and supporting all the more annoying. Even more painful is when fans and press actively praise them for their community relations.

Is it time to step back on the issue? Not from where I'm standing. The situation hasn't changed and it doesn't look like it will in the near future. As long as goddamned texting and a level of secrecy that makes even the most paranoid intelligence agency proud are the norm when it comes to their marketing and customer relations plan I don't see why I should give them as pass.

Now if that was a very subtle hint that I should take a walk or find myself with a ban then I guess the forum will soon be a much less bitter place.

Anasumtj
17th Dec 2010, 00:09
An expanded Fb presence. More twitter involvement.

Oh gosh, a Facebook group? BALL'S TOTALLY ROLLIN' NOW.

Man, not to be a total dickwad, but that kind of stuff is truly par for the course. You can say that EM hasn't completely neglected community outreach, but "supporting them in fantastic ways" is surely pretending.

AlexOfSpades
17th Dec 2010, 00:56
*sigh*

Another thread down the drain..

Deus_Ex_Machina
17th Dec 2010, 01:17
Bitter. Resentful. In a sense I suppose I am. Not because of a lack of communication an sich. If they had kept to themselves and just got on with it I'd be cool with that. What pisses me off is the constant hypocrisy of the situation. Pretending to be big with the community and doing ****-all in reality. See, I don't forget the pr-remarks about listening, the soon, the lies, the silence and the jabs. It just makes the claims that they are reading, listening and supporting all the more annoying. Even more painful is when fans and press actively praise them for their community relations.

Is it time to step back on the issue? Not from where I'm standing. The situation hasn't changed and it doesn't look like it will in the near future. As long as goddamned texting and a level of secrecy that makes even the most paranoid intelligence agency proud are the norm when it comes to their marketing and customer relations plan I don't see why I should give them as pass.

Now if that was a very subtle hint that I should take a walk or find myself with a ban then I guess the forum will soon be a much less bitter place.

Quoted For mother ******* Truth!

To say the so-called community outreach is great and that we are being unreasonable by criticizing EM is as bad as when Germany invaded Poland and then told the Poles it was all their fault.

mentalkase
17th Dec 2010, 01:27
quoted for mother ******* truth!

To say the so-called community outreach is great and that we are being unreasonable by criticizing em is as bad as when germany invaded poland and then told the poles it was all their fault.

lmao

[FGS]Shadowrunner
17th Dec 2010, 02:10
Because according to Shadowrunner and you, the official forum is the last place I should be if I want to learn about HR.
You guys want to be heard and taken seriously, but you say things like this. I never even thought this. And ye maybe it is unreasonable, it's definitely off-topic

I'm just suggesting that we put ALL the brilliant forums assets and downloads and FAQ's and STUFF together. And not everyone is so 1337 as the forum users here, especially DX1 users. I did do some research before posting this. I've been watching players since 2005, having the same issues time and time again. Clan forums make brilliant archives, then become inactive and so do their links.

If you don't mind me saying, it's not a thread to be hijacked for a dev-*****ing session, it was a discussion about a website, not the devs. You're all off topic by a long way, but to answer your question, it's true what Jerion is saying. Questions you post here, that EM aren't expert on, get posted on Facebook or elsewhere. EM make polls on Facebook and there is some evidence to suggest that comments were incorporated in the Penthouse trailer. The relationship between fan and dev is a lot different there, people aren't hiding behind aliases or waffling on about their favourite shooter.

This idea works, even if there's no DLC or MP for DX3. And it introduces players to all three titles, with all the support they are ever going to need. It also networks the community in a positive way, at a non-clan or indie forum, so there can be no "well I didn't want to get involved because..."

Bear in mind we are talking about 20 years of Deus Ex. from DX1 to the end of SE's 10 year franchise. I can't say for sure, the forums I co-founded will improve or be around in ten years time.

I'd hope that we could discuss the idea, not whether I'm lying about Eidos taking greater involvement in all three titles. Start a separate thread if you like, but don't hijack this one please.

FrankCSIS
17th Dec 2010, 03:28
I'd like to see one place where everything is being pooled and coordinated. All things DX, basically, including HR. The main problem is how disorganised everything is, including communication, of course. Just looking for some DX storyline info the other week took some ridiculous research, including a sea of vanished sites and dead links.

The same line of thoughts applies to this forum, when we think of communication. I don't want to ruin your thread, but saying how there is so much HR information outside of here annoys me ever so slightly. It makes no sense whatsoever that I should follow JJB's twitts, Anfosi's twitts, EM's twitts, the gm's twitts, the community facebook and every other little thing out there to get the general information which would, in a normal communication setting, be relayed here.

I understand that twitter offers the possibility to relay an information to everyone, and inform them live when the information arrives, but having the information split in numerous parcels entirely defeats the purpose and creates an absolute mess. You'd think communication people would notice this, and rectify.

The logic behind your suggestion, which is very sound, also applies here. I certainly am in favor of your initiative ;)

Coyotegrey
17th Dec 2010, 04:44
We're not typically revealing key new information on DX:HR via our personal twitter accounts. This isn't what I, marketing, or the individual team members want. They're our personal accounts, nothing more.

Honestly, this topic seems like it would fit in best at the website discussion thread. But I leave the ultimate decision up to my wonderful mods.

FrankCSIS
17th Dec 2010, 04:55
We're not typically revealing key new information on DX:HR via our personal twitter accounts. This isn't what I, marketing, or the individual team members want. They're our personal accounts, nothing more.

And yet they relay thoughts and bits on the specific subject at hand, morceled.

It's the equivalent of taking a newspaper apart into twitter accounts. One would have to sucbscribe to every journalist, or every sections, as well as their various facebook community groups, in order to research the news. I see the novelty in it, from a marketing standpoint, but it makes no sense from the communication's point of view. I simply don't have time to follow up on twenty different sources, which is why the news staff is dedicating their life to putting it all together for my morning review of the news. If I find a subject worthy of further research, I can then, and only then, look it up.

Twitter people fail to acknowledge the existence of others and act in an isolated buble. If everyone out there acted the same way, if every subject was morceled into twits, do you realise the amount of time I'd have to spend on twitter to keep track of everything I'm trying to follow up on? I realise it's fun and all, but it makes it a nightmare when everyone jumps on the silly self-broadcasting bandwagon, and neglects the more efficient communication channels.

Coyotegrey
17th Dec 2010, 05:25
And yet they relay thoughts and bits on the specific subject at hand, morceled.

It's the equivalent of taking a newspaper apart into twitter accounts. One would have to sucbscribe to every journalist, or every sections, as well as their various facebook community groups, in order to research the news. I see the novelty in it, from a marketing standpoint, but it makes no sense from the communication's point of view. I simply don't have time to follow up on twenty different sources, which is why the news staff is dedicating their life to putting it all together for my morning review of the news. If I find a subject worthy of further research, I can then, and only then, look it up.

Twitter people fail to acknowledge the existence of others and act in an isolated buble. If everyone out there acted the same way, if every subject was morceled into twits, do you realise the amount of time I'd have to spend on twitter to keep track of everything I'm trying to follow up on? I realise it's fun and all, but it makes it a nightmare when everyone jumps on the silly self-broadcasting bandwagon, and neglects the more efficient communication channels.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but I don't feel the same about twitter. We're not breaking up what was once delivered as whole, but providing additional incite into people's personal lives, projects, and whatever. If you want the vital information pertaining to DX:HR, you'll get it through traditional means. But if you want more content, you're going to have to put in extra time into consuming it, just like you would put in extra time here to be a part of the community.

Rindill the Red
17th Dec 2010, 05:52
Somewhere, in the deep confines of the net, millions upon millions of loose twitters are aggregating to produce the world's first true AI... unfortunately it's really, really, stupid.

MaxxQ1
17th Dec 2010, 05:57
Somewhere, in the deep confines of the net, millions upon millions of loose twitters are aggregating to produce the world's first true AI... unfortunately it's really, really, stupid.

Along similar lines, I contribute part of my sig on another message board:

Poster A: I find it ironic, however, that our technological advances since the 1960s go into things like Twitter, rather than, say, going to the Moon.

Poster B: And our would be aerospace engineers of the future are too busy finding out what Miley Cyrus bought at the grocery store to study their calculus...

Irate_Iguana
17th Dec 2010, 09:37
Shadowrunner;1543861']I'm just suggesting that we put ALL the brilliant forums assets and downloads and FAQ's and STUFF together.

Wouldn't this type of project be exactly what a wiki should be all about? Getting together and creating and maintaining a level of knowledge about the game. You'd basically have three components to entire endeavor. A wiki with the information categorized, a forum for loose questions and discussion and a database to house all the mods. While this would make for a great community project you run into problems with people feeling strongly about their own turf.

Kodaemon
17th Dec 2010, 09:51
http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/3698/facebook20vs20twitter20.jpg

[FGS]Shadowrunner
17th Dec 2010, 11:26
Apologies for not posting in the website discussion thread, I assume you mean DeusExCentral thread. I won't be offended if this is moved. To be honest, I'm sorry that saying something positive about Eidos generated such a negative reaction.

I'm hesitant to speak, wondering how it will get twisted this time. I am not against twitter at all, was perhaps vocalising my inner thought processes too publicly, I have no problem with DeusExCentral either. As the CM pointed out, it's additional stuff, so people look kinda crazy to be honest. I was just suggesting support/downloads, important things could be centralized, not saying there is anything wrong with any site, just I see an opportunity for Eidos to be able to link people to all three titles, in a way benefits everyone. Selfish reasons too, after 5 years some FAQ get very tedious to answer. And also of course, there will be a lot more players of Deus Ex next year than usual.

There is already some kind of wikiDeusEx (orange/buff background), but with respect to their hard work, they seem to know very little about the community or even Deus Ex itself. Also there are strange comments/humour on that site, which only those admins will understand. Also the content, to be honest, is scratching the surface at being comprehensive or even representative. It's an example of fans trying to do things by themselves, rather than pooling resources and talent with other teams and communities. It's also way out of date.

Another example of this is the Deus Ex Script. The Deus Ex Script on gamefaq, is an enormous piece of work by two guys, but there is so much conversation missing from that script, including whole cutscenes such as the NSF prisoners and Denton. There are actually several cutscene convos between the second prisoner and Denton, but you would only know that if you interrupt Simons at the right moment and try to restart the convo. So I'm guessing the people who compiled it did more shooting than thinking.

And regarding wikipedia itself, has anyone noticed? Try to edit it to mention that Deus Ex is also a multiplayer game, within a few hours, your writing has disappeared. Try to alter anything at all and a Russian dude deletes everything you said. Whoever is editing the article has tried hard to stop the multiplayer community from letting people know it still exists. We have to hide our existence in the mod section, even though playing DX has nothing to do with modding. If we mention that it is not only a single player game on the homepage, it gets deleted, every single time. I've given up trying to update and correct wikipedia about it. I find this strange, since it is exceptional for a game this old to be still online, it is surely another amazing thing about Deus Ex.

If I can make a final point, complaining about having to visit twitter to get information is a bit bizarre. If you want to call it marketing, be thankful you have a choice whether to see it or not. It's not like some really invasive marketing that goes on, until you're sick of it. Personally I would call it customer relations, like getting a cup of tea in the Chanel shop in Paris.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Dec 2010, 12:32
Honestly, this topic seems like it would fit in best at the website discussion thread.

Agreed, as all the ideas can be viewed in one thread this way.
Merged.

Takechi
21st Jan 2011, 19:07

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Feb 2011, 18:52

Thanks - added this to technical report summary on first page.

syrenswyrd
9th Mar 2011, 13:15
Umm... Your countdown meter doesn't match the published release date below it. According to the date, Deus Ex should have been released last August.

MrFoxter
9th Mar 2011, 15:29
SITE IS BEING UPDATED

Hmm...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
9th Mar 2011, 20:45
A new countdown timer for release date has been added.

BigBoss
9th Mar 2011, 21:35
I don't see the countdown timer working yet on the main sight, any chance we could get that as a wallpaper???

Lady_Of_The_Vine
9th Mar 2011, 22:21
^
It was working last time I looked. Did you allow for all the cookies/scripts? It won't work otherwise.

166 days, 01 hours, 36 minutes, 14 seconds... at time of writing.

Rainbow6Team
12th Mar 2011, 22:36
How about a countdown timer for the release for the demo?

Srosa
12th Mar 2011, 23:02
How about a countdown timer for the release for the demo?

It would be faster.