PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay

Xenoc
27th Aug 2010, 12:56
Anyone concerned with the lack of game play shown despite the game being out in the 1st quarter of 2011?

I mean most games at this sort of time have already shown lots of game play? Is this something we as the fans should be concerned about???

The last trailer really only showed Jenson holding a pistol and shooting with a rifle! We want more... please!

Pretentious Old Man.
27th Aug 2010, 12:58
It's annoying, but sadly not altogether uncommon in the modern, fully grown-up industry.

avenging_teabag
27th Aug 2010, 13:05
We want more... please!
Didn't they say than we'll get new gameplay clips and scans next month? My memory's fuzzy. But the police station mission is bound to be released soon, methinks.

puzl
27th Aug 2010, 13:31
Problem is, too much gameplay footage of the things people seem to be interested in (locations, conversations, people, etc) = massive spoilers for the game. It's why I simply cannot watch any more Portal 2 videos.

I played the original DX back in 2001 and only saw shots of Liberty Island in PC Gamer or another mag. Sometimes it is nice to walk into a game not knowing what to expect... just as long as it doesn't suck of course!

avenging_teabag
27th Aug 2010, 13:34
Problem is, too much gameplay footage of the things people seem to be interested in (locations, conversations, people, etc) = massive spoilers for the game.
There's that, too.

xsamitt
27th Aug 2010, 13:37
Problem is, too much gameplay footage of the things people seem to be interested in (locations, conversations, people, etc) = massive spoilers for the game. It's why I simply cannot watch any more Portal 2 videos.

I played the original DX back in 2001 and only saw shots of Liberty Island in PC Gamer or another mag. Sometimes it is nice to walk into a game not knowing what to expect... just as long as it doesn't suck of course!

Agreed ...which is why I restrict myself as to what I will allow myself to read or watch.I believe I've already seen to much.

AxiomaticBadger
27th Aug 2010, 14:52
Wow, if what we've got so far is all they can show without spoilers.....
Mmmmm. Storylishous.

Irate_Iguana
27th Aug 2010, 15:07
Anyone concerned with the lack of game play shown despite the game being out in the 1st quarter of 2011?

But the police station mission is bound to be released soon, methinks.

Allow me to introduce you to the motto of the Squeenix, formerly Eidos Montreal, Marketing Department; "we're not happy until you're not happy". Their entire idea of marketing a game is silence. The only reason we've seen any gameplay at all is because someone sneaked in a camera and illegally taped a press demo. Squeenix have done their best to erase any and all traces of that though. They have been very tight lipped and slow with everything. They seem adamant about not letting potential customers see even a tiny hint of the game. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for something new.

xsamitt
27th Aug 2010, 15:17
Allow me to introduce you to the motto of the Squeenix, formerly Eidos Montreal, Marketing Department; "we're not happy until you're not happy". Their entire idea of marketing a game is silence. The only reason we've seen any gameplay at all is because someone sneaked in a camera and illegally taped a press demo. Squeenix have done their best to erase any and all traces of that though. They have been very tight lipped and slow with everything. They seem adamant about not letting potential customers see even a tiny hint of the game. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for something new.

I personally like this...but for others I can see it being a problem.

Nyysjan
27th Aug 2010, 15:50
It's annoying, but sadly not altogether uncommon in the modern, fully grown-up industry.

If by modern, fully grown-up, you mean suffering from ADHD and gone senile, then i fully agree with you.

xsamitt
27th Aug 2010, 17:08
http://gamingbolt.com/6-secrets-to-a-successful-video-game

nomotog
27th Aug 2010, 17:26
They say they are in balancing-mode right now, so where are all the uncut gameplay videos?

Esnuk
27th Aug 2010, 19:11
Didn't they say than we'll get new gameplay clips and scans next month? My memory's fuzzy. But the police station mission is bound to be released soon, methinks.

September? Hopefully!

Cronstintein
27th Aug 2010, 19:18
I've already learned a few things I wish I didn't know from what they've released so... it's a double-edged blade scenario. Although I'm *starving* for information and to just be able to play the game, I don't want the experience sullied by finding out too many twists before hand.
Tempted to initiate a DX media black-out... which is very easy considering how often they release stuff ;)

dda
28th Aug 2010, 01:51
I've already learned a few things I wish I didn't know from what they've released so... it's a double-edged blade scenario. Although I'm *starving* for information and to just be able to play the game, I don't want the experience sullied by finding out too many twists before hand.
Tempted to initiate a DX media black-out... which is very easy considering how often they release stuff ;)

It's a double edged sword for sure. But, it's something for a dev to figure out while still marketing a game 'cos the audience needs to decide on whether they are going to hand over their hard earned$. Overall, EMs marketing of DX:HR and Thifourf has been woeful, with Thifourf being an utter joke.

My #1 fanboi series of all time is Thief with DX 2nd!!! So EMs communication crappiness is like a perfect storm of gaming frustration for me!!

EM have really just been relying on the past success of the previous games as a marketing strategy, especially in regards to Thief.

Anfossi and Dugas are feeling like irritating wankers to me these days, mostly running over the same stuff repeatedly. Statistics show that only 1 out of 4 DX:HR interviews is actually worth the megahurtz to watch or read. Only 0.88-0.93% of the content in worthwhile interviews actually have info that adds anything new to what we know about the game.

mad825
28th Aug 2010, 03:04

1st? in my books, it's the 2Q.

pringlepower
28th Aug 2010, 03:21
From Eidos Montreal to the fans with love.[/QUOTE]

Should.. should we pull it?

beastrn
28th Aug 2010, 05:40
Do you understand what that picture actually represents, pringle? Do you know what that sign means?

Or are fart jokes your safety net

pringlepower
28th Aug 2010, 06:18
Do you understand what that picture actually represents, pringle? Do you know what that sign means?

Or are fart jokes your safety net

Teehee.

Nyysjan
28th Aug 2010, 06:40
I personally like this...but for others I can see it being a problem.

It's a problem because it, coupled with the comments from the developers, it gives an impression that the game fails to deliver.
Are they afraid to show it because it looks bad? Or because it is nothing like the original deus ex?
Negative publicity is better than no publicity i guess, but they could, if the game is anything like the original, generate tons of positive publicity and excitement among the fans by showing of some of the good stuff, instead of just giving us some 3rd person views and cutscenes.

Sure i might buy that they want to keep things close to chest in order to avoid promising too much until they're certain something is in game (Bioware does that), but at this point of development, they should know what the game will have in it (and if they don't, something has gone horribly wrong).
Also, as i mentioned Bioware, the difference between Bioware and EM is that Bioware has proven, over and over again, that they can turn out a quality product (ME2 bullet and inventory issues were not a good thing, but the game itself was pretty decent), EM and Dugas seem to not generate the same confidence in their customer base.

Red
28th Aug 2010, 09:24

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_%28gesture%29