PDA

View Full Version : Augments and upgrades

nomotog
24th Aug 2010, 20:03
I didn't see a thread for this, so this is a place for us to wish/speculate about the different kinds of augments and weapon upgrades we might find in the game. I'll start.

When it comes to augments I'm hoping they make the system from DX1 a little more looser. In the original even though there where about 10 augments you barley had any choice of what ones you wanted. They came in packs of two and you had to pick which one you wanted with out even testing them. My hope for DX:HR is a system where you have something like 4 augment slots and you can wear any 4 you want. You know more flexible.

Augments i would like to see:

Spider climb - A augment that lets you climb walls and ceilings. This would be a good augment for movement opening new pathways and such.

Decoy - A augment that lets you detracts guards with fake sounds and pictures. A standard stealth power almost every game stealth has some power like this.

Speed loaders - A augment where you keep spare clips in your arms to let you reload faster.

With weapon upgrades I want them to be more imaginative then the ones in DX1. A little like they tried to do in DX:IW(Only less random) or like how they did it in Bioshock 1&2. Another idea sense we have grid inventory back how about we just store the weapon upgrades in there and let us attach them take them off as we wish(When there attached the gun takes up more space).

Weapon upgrades I'd like to see:

Scrambler - A upgrade for the handgun. It would be a laser sight that disables camera when you point it at them.

adaptable barrel - A upgrade for the revolver that lets you load it with handgun ammo. revolver ammo is always the hardest to find this upgrade would make using and upgrading it more useful as it would let you use more common ammo when your out of the big stuff.

Remote hacking dart - They had them in snowblind. They have them in bioshock 2. I love them I want them in DX:HR :)

H.D.Case
24th Aug 2010, 22:02
I DO hope that the through-wall vision will be used for something more than just wall-through kills? Will we get the same data analysis like in the first trailer? Please let it be so!

Pinky_Powers
24th Aug 2010, 22:26
I like this Scrambler upgrade idea. It reminds me of... Chaos Theory I think it was... the third Splinter Cell. You had a sort of EMP attachment to your sidearm that took out lights and security systems for a few seconds. It was ever-so-helpful!

Dead-Eye
25th Aug 2010, 02:31
The revolver in this game can accept most types of ammo, this has already been confirmed.

I don't really understand what you find wrong with Deus Ex' augmentation system, or why you would call Invisible War's better. Do you mean the standardization of augmentation canisters? If so you should know this game won't have augmentation canisters. You will go to a limb clinic and buy augmentations. Also I believe that their won't be slots for augmentations but rather the more augmentation you have the harder it will be to pass for human.

mad825
25th Aug 2010, 02:41
I DO hope that the through-wall vision will be used for something more than just wall-through kills?

we would have a new door way without having to wait for planning permission:D

nomotog
25th Aug 2010, 04:20
The revolver in this game can accept most types of ammo, this has already been confirmed.

I don't really understand what you find wrong with Deus Ex' augmentation system, or why you would call Invisible War's better. Do you mean the standardization of augmentation canisters? If so you should know this game won't have augmentation canisters. You will go to a limb clinic and buy augmentations. Also I believe that their won't be slots for augmentations but rather the more augmentation you have the harder it will be to pass for human.

I never played DX:IW. I meant to, but i didn't get around to it and now i can't find a copy.

I was thinking more of how Bioshock has there augments. I finally played bioshock 2 so it is on my mind. In DX you had legs, arms, eyes ect. and could only put in one of two augs it really limited the choices you could make, so I am glad to hear that things have changed.

@Pinky_Powers: ... I may have played that game too, but it is not where i got that idea...:whistle:

@H.D.Case: Seeing threw walls gives you a huge tactical advantage. It useful for way more then just wall punches

And sense I am posting, I might as well post more ides (I find it fun to think of game ideas).

Smart Shot System - It would be a laser sight that senses what your aiming at and would only expend bullets if they where going to hit. It would be a neat upgrade for automatic weapons allowing you to spray and pray with out wasting ammo.

WP ammo - Ammo that lets you shoot threw walls. I think we can all guess what this would be used for.

pringlepower
25th Aug 2010, 04:50
I never played DX:IW. I meant to, but i didn't get around to it and now i can't find a copy.

I was thinking more of how Bioshock has there augments. I finally played bioshock 2 so it is on my mind. In DX you had legs, arms, eyes ect. and could only put in one of two augs it really limited the choices you could make, so I am glad to hear that things have changed.

@Pinky_Powers: ... I may have played that game too, but it is not where i got that idea...:whistle:

@H.D.Case: Seeing threw walls gives you a huge tactical advantage. It useful for way more then just wall punches

And sense I am posting, I might as well post more ides (I find it fun to think of game ideas).

Smart Shot System - It would be a laser sight that senses what your aiming at and would only expend bullets if they where going to hit. It would be a neat upgrade for automatic weapons allowing you to spray and pray with out wasting ammo.

WP ammo - Ammo that lets you shoot threw walls. I think we can all guess what this would be used for.

Speaking of Bioshock, there should be an aug that lets you shoot out BEES from your hands. Or B-EES.

I wouldn't mind being able to throw heavy objects at people using the strength aug either.

H.D.Case
25th Aug 2010, 04:59

Yes, you are right, although I was thinking about more possibilities. Like a display of what weapon the person wields, type of armor and the number of facebook friends. You know, little, but useful or just cool stuff. In the trailer it was perfect. That'd mean that he is going to be connected to Internet all the time. Let's hope he has a good firewall ;)

pringlepower
25th Aug 2010, 05:11
Yes, you are right, although I was thinking about more possibilities. Like a display of what weapon the person wields, type of armor and the number of facebook friends. You know, little, but useful or just cool stuff. In the trailer it was perfect. That'd mean that he is going to be connected to Internet all the time. Let's hope he has a good firewall ;)

Facebook connectivity probably comes when you upgrade yours fancy eyes with XP points.

nomotog
25th Aug 2010, 05:20

That's a real cool idea. You would think twice about how to take out a guard if you could see his name age and what kind of music he likes.

avenging_teabag
25th Aug 2010, 06:20
Facebook connectivity probably comes when you upgrade yours fancy eyes with XP points.
Also, a direct youtube feed could be neat.

Seriously, I'd very much like some upgrade that could detonate explosives remotely - the landmines/grenades system in HR already sounds pretty involved, I wouldn't mind expanding it even further. There could be some sort of flashbang/sound grenade for non-lethal as well.

Xenoc
25th Aug 2010, 06:27
There could be some sort of flashbang/sound grenade for stealth as well.

Sort of negates the point of stealth by using a loud and/or disorientating device while trying to sneak???

pringlepower
25th Aug 2010, 06:32
That's a real cool idea. You would think twice about how to take out a guard if you could see his name age and what kind of music he likes.

They have wives, children, parents... JC ruined so many families, the bastard.

avenging_teabag
25th Aug 2010, 06:32
Sort of negates the point of stealth by using a loud and/or disorientating device while trying to sneak???
Oops. I meant for non-lethal, of course.

Esnuk
25th Aug 2010, 11:36
I like this Scrambler upgrade idea. It reminds me of... Chaos Theory I think it was... the third Splinter Cell. You had a sort of EMP attachment to your sidearm that took out lights and security systems for a few seconds. It was ever-so-helpful!

The so-called OCP. ;)

AxiomaticBadger
27th Aug 2010, 11:26
I'd like a single target version of the knockback-pulse seen in the GamesCom video, useable as a firearm.

JCpies
27th Aug 2010, 11:43
I'd like auto aim.

mad825
27th Aug 2010, 12:48
I'd like auto aim.

from what's been gathered from the "gameplay trailer" or at least the leaked demo, it seems like Autoaim has been appiled without any needs from augs.

I just hope that you can configre this via the setting otherwise I will rage.

JCpies
27th Aug 2010, 14:30
from what's been gathered from the "gameplay trailer" or at least the leaked demo, it seems like Autoaim has been appiled without any needs from augs.

I just hope that you can configre this via the setting otherwise I will rage.

Yes I'm so happy. Autoaim rocks.

Nyysjan
27th Aug 2010, 15:53
Auto aim without an aug seems silly, altough it would be realistic aug to have (seems like any decent cyberpunk game (pnp rpg) or book that handles any amount of professional security, policy or military forces, includes somekind of auto aim aug, or atleast accuracy enhancing augs).

AxiomaticBadger
27th Aug 2010, 16:20
Ehh, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine an auto-aim system being built in as a default. Having it optional would be better though.

Pinky_Powers
27th Aug 2010, 17:01

That's funny, as your conclusion is the exact opposite of mine. Based on the footage, both leaked and official, I say there is no evidence in the least of any auto-aim feature.

Fluffis
27th Aug 2010, 17:04
I'm still wondering what kind of limitations EM have on what can be done with the mech augs. A part of me is worried, what with the Cool™ mentality and all, that they will let augs do things that are simply not possible with mechanics alone. (E.g. the Claymore aug; if that is usable more than once per level, possibly twice if it can be reloaded, it's going to feel slightly ridiculous.) Or things that would actually need a whole system of several augs installed, which only need one aug, for example.

If they do need a whole system, how will they represent that? How will that work in conjunction with other augs? For example "carrying strength": Just having this as an augmentation of the arms is a ridiculous notion. The rest of the body would crumble under the weight, even if the arms could take it. In a real situation, it would most likely need an augmenting of most major muscle groups, and a replacement skeleton. In DX, you can at least think that the nanites strengthened the body where necessary.

Nano tech is basically a carte blanche when it comes to possibilities, since we have no clue of what it may be able to do. Mech augmenting, however, is not limitless.

I know I'm not going to get any definitive answers until about the time of the release, but I just needed to get this off my chest.

Khaeru
27th Aug 2010, 17:22
if i have to describe what i espect from a cyborg like Adam in one word, i'd say Gits. I'm not looking for anything special except the same things motoko has: cloak, hacker skills, fast tanks. But I suppose there won't be anything like controllable vehicle in the game.

That's funny, as your conclusion is the exact opposite of mine. Based on the footage, both leaked and official, I say there is no evidence in the least of any auto-aim feature.
at 3:19 Adam's shooting an arrow, the auto aim thing adjusted the parabolic trajectory or w/e.
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=4O7K7HQV

I hope most of the augmentation and special abilites won't get a "handicap" because some ppl would blame 'em "making the game too easy". AI would be so dumb

Pinky_Powers
27th Aug 2010, 17:38
at 3:19 Adam's shooting an arrow, the auto aim thing adjusted the parabolic trajectory or w/e.
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=4O7K7HQV

I don't believe it did. The bow had a mod that told you where the arrow would land, but it did not look at all like an auto-aim. And the the footage where Adam is using the assault rifle is clearly without even that much aid.

Khaeru
27th Aug 2010, 17:47
but the scope returned in the same place it was before

Fluffis
27th Aug 2010, 17:56
but the scope returned in the same place it was before

It looked like he activated something that moved the scope up and set a "waypoint", then returned the scope to where it was. I don't think that's autoaiming, but rather a visual representation of the weapon/mod calculating vertical inclination needed to reach that range.

Khaeru
27th Aug 2010, 18:03
It looked like he activated something
before the shot there are those red circles that appear everytime the player points someone, it would make sense to call it auto-aim. Also, auto-aim is something i guess pad users would appreciate playing on stealth

Pinky_Powers
27th Aug 2010, 18:07
It looked like he activated something, that moved the scope up and set a "waypoint", then returned the scope to where it was. I don't think that's autoaiming, but rather a visual representation of the weapon/mod calculating vertical inclination needed to reach that range.

^... Yes, something like that. :thumb:

1. Clearly there was no auto-aim when using the assault rifle or the pistol.

2. We know via the E3 previews that the Crossbow DID have a mod that calculated distance and gravitational draw.

So pointing to the crossbow, against the two other weapons he used, as your one example of auto-aim is a logical fallacy.

Khaeru
27th Aug 2010, 18:12
then what are those red circles? about the firefight Adam has with those soldier, maybe that's a part of the action where players dont want to be guided

Pinky_Powers
27th Aug 2010, 18:15
then what are those red circles? about the firefight Adam has with those soldier, maybe that's a part of the action where players would like to do not be guided

I really don't understand what you're saying.

Khaeru
27th Aug 2010, 18:22
i mean the hud you see from 6:40 http://www.megavideo.com/?v=4O7K7HQV
it gets smaller if you point it to an enemy. Maybe auto-aim needs time to reach a higher precision. About the pistol: i guess adam doesn't need auto-aim at close distance
sry for my english

Pinky_Powers
27th Aug 2010, 18:38
i mean the hud you see from 6:40 http://www.megavideo.com/?v=4O7K7HQV
it gets smaller if you point it to an enemy. Maybe auto-aim needs time to reach a higher precision. About the pistol: i guess adam doesn't need auto-aim at close distance
sry for my english

Ok, I think I get what you're saying.

You needn't worry about cross-hairs, reticules and Huds, and actually look at the movement of the iron-sights. They aren't snapping to targets, they are loose and free and move like there's a person controlling them and not a computer. The circle cross-hair that adjusts it's size based on whether or not there's an enemy in front of it is not an indication of auto-aim. It looked to me like it reacts to what the gun is pointing at, not the other way around.

Khaeru
27th Aug 2010, 18:47
i think i understand now, though the guy in the vid may not be good at DE and maybe he overdid at pushing buttons. thnx anyway

JCpies
27th Aug 2010, 19:13
Auto aim without an aug seems silly, altough it would be realistic aug to have (seems like any decent cyberpunk game (pnp rpg) or book that handles any amount of professional security, policy or military forces, includes somekind of auto aim aug, or atleast accuracy enhancing augs).

We need auto aim WITHOUT augmentation. *sarcasm*

People believed I wanted autoaim??

KSingh77
27th Aug 2010, 19:32
Third person takedowns felt like one big autoaim.

Pinky_Powers
27th Aug 2010, 19:32
We need auto aim WITHOUT augmentation. *sarcasm*

People believed I wanted autoaim??

You flat-out said you wanted it. Without a hint of facetiousness leaked into your prose. You briefly became a figure of intense curiosity for me.

JCpies
27th Aug 2010, 21:10
You flat-out said you wanted it. Without a hint of facetiousness leaked into your prose. You briefly became a figure of intense curiosity for me.

I believed it was impossible for anyone to say that on a deus ex forum...

:rolleyes: I guess I got bored.