PDA

View Full Version : IGN preview

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 14:11
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1114705p1.html

It's exactly the same as the 1up preview, just a little more descriptive. You know my opinion of IGN and its silver tongue, but the preview does seem OK. More excited about their Stronghold 3 preview, but hey-ho. Enjoy.

WildcatPhoenix
20th Aug 2010, 14:37
At first, this sentence concerned me greatly:

"Any suspicious behaviour will simply tick off the cops and the game will suddenly revert into action mode."

I was annoyed that there seem to be clearly defined paths (i.e. "action, stealth, or social") which you cannot combine. Apparently once you slip into "action mode" there may not be any going back to stealth or social.

But then I started thinking about the original game. It was absolutely ridiculous how quickly the AI would forget about JC. You could shoot an enemy in the face, then duck around a corner and hide for a few moments. Sure, he might sound an alarm, but as long as you had a secure enough hiding spot the alarm would eventually shut off and everyone would return to their normal positions. Sometimes you'd even get a hilarious bark like, "Huh, must've been my imagination." Yeah, the bullet hole in your jaw was definitely your imagination, Mr. NSF Terrorist.

So this might not be a bad thing in terms of realism. I would think once a gunshot goes off, or an alarm is sounded, a military or police facility on high alert would not stop looking for the intruder until he/she were found.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 14:44

"Any suspicious behaviour will simply tick off the cops and the game will suddenly revert into action mode."

I was annoyed that there seem to be clearly defined paths (i.e. "action, stealth, or social") which you cannot combine. Apparently once you slip into "action mode" there may not be any going back to stealth or social.

But then I started thinking about the original game. It was absolutely ridiculous how quickly the AI would forget about JC. You could shoot an enemy in the face, then duck around a corner and hide for a few moments. Sure, he might sound an alarm, but as long as you had a secure enough hiding spot the alarm would eventually shut off and everyone would return to their normal positions. Sometimes you'd even get a hilarious bark like, "Huh, must've been my imagination." Yeah, the bullet hole in your jaw was definitely your imagination, Mr. NSF Terrorist.

So this might not be a bad thing in terms of realism. I would think once a gunshot goes off, or an alarm is sounded, a military or police facility on high alert would not stop looking for the intruder until he/she were found.

I completely agree. That was one of the really stupid parts of Deus Ex 1.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 15:23
I'm really happy with the suspicious behavior thing. You had WAY too much latitude with people in Dues Ex.

That really was a good preview. Makes me itchy all over. I'm jonesen man... jonesen bad!

imported_D_X
20th Aug 2010, 16:31
OK yes! finally some good news. That scenario has been used to death but IGN actually did a good job explaining the different paths to get to your objective. I got to say that I too think the AI's ability to pick-up on the players suspicious behavior is a good thing, for one it shows that there is a good AI and also it will intensify the situation if you try to steal information or supplies.
This preview coupled with an interview (or was it a preview by some one else) that mentioned the availability of stun weapons makes me very happy with this game (not a pessimist, just that some cases call for a more subtle approach ;)). Now if only they would give us an option to stay in 1st person view when spying on other peoples conversations (Tong and the toaster), and climbing ladders, that might just push me to preorder it. :wave:

MaxxQ1
20th Aug 2010, 16:32
More excited about their Stronghold 3 preview, but hey-ho. Enjoy.

Stronghold 3? Damn! I've even been thinking about firing up the original lately (2 was okay, but not as fun as Stronghold).

atLaNt1s
20th Aug 2010, 16:45
Stronghold 3? Damn! I've even been thinking about firing up the original lately (2 was okay, but not as fun as Stronghold).

Im playing stronghold kingdoms alpha 4, its a strategy real time mmo, its not that fun for me.
Check it out here: http://strongholdkingdoms.com/
And playing stronghold 1 too, gonna finish it then play the second. REALLY like the music, love euvinos work.

MaxxQ1
20th Aug 2010, 17:07
Im playing stronghold kingdoms alpha 4, its a strategy real time mmo, its not that fun for me.
Check it out here: http://strongholdkingdoms.com/
And playing stronghold 1 too, gonna finish it then play the second. REALLY like the music, love euvinos work.

I don't do online play of anything, so Kingdoms is out for me.

ThePrecursor
20th Aug 2010, 17:53
These previews are getting copy/pasted all around the net it seems, because I've seen this one pop up on another site before it was posted here.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 17:55
Mwahaha, my secret plan to turn this into a Stronghold discussion working wonderfully I see! And yes, whoever mentioned Robert Euvino, he stands with Jeff van Dyck as the all time great game composer.

Anyway, back to the article: Is anyone else heartened by the physics systems used? Upturned tables, throwing a printer and then crouching behind it, etc. This sounds good.

There are times when I think that Dugas just talks out of his arse, and his team do what they feel like.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 17:56
These previews are getting copy/pasted all around the net it seems, because I've seen this one pop up on another site before it was posted here.

The interweb is a notoriously busy place.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 18:01
Mwahaha, my secret plan to turn this into a Stronghold discussion working wonderfully I see! And yes, whoever mentioned Robert Euvino, he stands with Jeff van Dyck as the all time great game composer.

Anyway, back to the article: Is anyone else heartened by the physics systems used? Upturned tables, throwing a printer and then crouching behind it, etc. This sounds good.

There are times when I think that Dugas just talks out of his arse, and his team do what they feel like.

It is beginning to sound like the Physics System is more extensive than we heard previously. I doubt it will be as thorough as Crysis, or Oblivion... but being able to move dumpsters and throw heavy items to the mortal dismay of your enemies is a high white note indeed.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 18:30
It is beginning to sound like the Physics System is more extensive than we heard previously. I doubt it will be as thorough as Crysis, or Oblivion... but being able to move dumpsters and throw heavy items to the mortal dismay of your enemies is a high white note indeed.

As I said earlier, I think Dugas just shoots his mouth off, gets back to work, and then gets mobbed by angry employees who have been developing multiple ammo types/ proper physics system/ blah blah all along, just he hasn't always known about it.

Without a community guy, how are we supposed to know otherwise?

xsamitt
21st Aug 2010, 02:14
As I said earlier, I think Dugas just shoots his mouth off, gets back to work, and then gets mobbed by angry employees who have been developing multiple ammo types/ proper physics system/ blah blah all along, just he hasn't always known about it.

Without a community guy, how are we supposed to know otherwise?

POM, It will all work out within 6 months,I've already talked to the senator.He was agreeable,trust me.:whistle::thumb:

Xenoc
21st Aug 2010, 09:16

You will always be able to hide, but the question is will EM pull off good AI as to find you? I mean will the AI "know" their surroundings, can they define a hiding place or are they on scripted paths on where to look when an alarm is raised?

Fluffis
21st Aug 2010, 12:25
You will always be able to hide, but the question is will EM pull off good AI as to find you? I mean will the AI "know" their surroundings, can they define a hiding place or are they on scripted paths on where to look when an alarm is raised?

And will they keep looking indefinitely, or will they give up at some point?