PDA

View Full Version : Please fix the co-op score challenges

TheInsomniac
20th Aug 2010, 11:41
I'm really enjoying the game, and I'll be happy with my purchase even if this never gets fixed, but the one thing that bothers me most about this game would have to be the way the score objectives are handled in co-op.

For those who haven't played co-op yet, if one player reaches an upgrade or artifact, both players get the item. That works well, but for some reason the score objectives ignore that logic. Each player has their own score, and in order to reach the high score requirements, it often means that one player ends up needing to do more fighting and gem collecting than the other.

At one point, I was playing with my friend when I noticed that we were almost to the end of the mission, and he was quite close to meeting the score requirement for the second level. In order for him to make it, I had to hold back and let him attack everyone as I ran away from enemies. That REALLY shouldn't have to happen.

While you're finishing up the PS3 version, and adding online co-op to the 360 version, it would be great if you added some cumulative scoring goals that combine the point totals of both players.

Anyhow, thanks for hearing me out, and congratulations on the game.

TF.Denis
20th Aug 2010, 12:31
No replies? Why am I not surprised? ..when you say there is a problem with the game rarely someone replies because they know u right but in order to keep getting money for their hunger they just let the problems undiscused..as for me I gonna buy it..hm and then pass it to all my psn friends for free as an answer to their money hunger

_Love2Raid_
20th Aug 2010, 15:58
This forum just isn´t very busy, so it´s normal when someone only replies a few hours later or even the next day. ;)

The multiplayer of GOL is supposed to be competitive. Yes, you are working together, but in the end you are also rivals. Who can get the highest score?

It´s designed this way, it´s not a mistake and therefore it won´t be ´fixed´ either, sorry. :)

But I must say I find it strange that you had to hold back to let your buddy get the high score. Could the objective be set too high? :confused:

Did you explore the whole level, collect all of the gems and kill everything? Also, when you die, you lose about 5000 points.

TheInsomniac
20th Aug 2010, 18:48
No replies? Why am I not surprised? ..when you say there is a problem with the game rarely someone replies because they know u right but in order to keep getting money for their hunger they just let the problems undiscused..as for me I gonna buy it..hm and then pass it to all my psn friends for free as an answer to their money hunger

We're in a recession, the game industry is constantly being hit with layoffs, and this probably had a fairly large budget for a downloadable title, so why are you ranting about money hunger? "Money Hunger" is kind of the point of it all. Companies make money, shareholders make money, people get to keep their jobs, developers get to keep making games for you.

I don't always expect a developer to respond to me publicly criticizing their work, no matter how politely I try to word the issue. In fact, I don't really expect them to reply at all, and I would imagine the likelihood of them doing so goes down considerably when others in the thread are throwing around terms like "money hunger" within less than an hour of the original post.

No offense, but you could stand to learn some empathy.

The multiplayer of GOL is supposed to be competitive. Yes, you are working together, but in the end you are also rivals. Who can get the highest score?

This just simply isn't true. If that was the case, only the first person to reach an upgrade would acquire it. I would also spend the game trying to drop my friend into bottomless pits and spike traps, and trying to kill everything first and grab every gem before my friend.

But that is not how the game works at all. This is one of the most cooperative games I've ever played. It is not a competitive game.

It´s designed this way, it´s not a mistake and therefore it won´t be ´fixed´ either, sorry. :)

Unless you're a developer, you really shouldn't be telling me what will and what won't be fixed. Yes, it's the way it's designed, but I disagree with the design. It's very much contrary to the rest of this game's design.

It's fine to have separate scores--to see who is winning, or whatever--but the goals themselves really should be cumulative. I realize making this change might throw off the leaderboards or the overall point total goals for the secret unlockables, so what I'd suggest to combat this is for the combined point total to be halved.

Example:
Current score objective: 160,000
Adjusted score objective: 320,000
Player 1 score - 220,000
Player 2 score - 100,050

Total score - 320,050 (score objective met)
Leaderboard and point total score - 160,025

Anyhow, hopefully this made sense to most of you, and you can express your feelings on the subject. If enough people agree, perhaps the developers might change their mind on how the cooperative scoring should work. Normally I wouldn't bother even requesting a change like this, but I figure since they have to patch the game anyhow, it couldn't hurt to ask.

aussie500
22nd Aug 2010, 07:12
I'm really enjoying the game, and I'll be happy with my purchase even if this never gets fixed, but the one thing that bothers me most about this game would have to be the way the score objectives are handled in co-op.

For those who haven't played co-op yet, if one player reaches an upgrade or artifact, both players get the item. That works well, but for some reason the score objectives ignore that logic. Each player has their own score, and in order to reach the high score requirements, it often means that one player ends up needing to do more fighting and gem collecting than the other.

At one point, I was playing with my friend when I noticed that we were almost to the end of the mission, and he was quite close to meeting the score requirement for the second level. In order for him to make it, I had to hold back and let him attack everyone as I ran away from enemies. That REALLY shouldn't have to happen.

While you're finishing up the PS3 version, and adding online co-op to the 360 version, it would be great if you added some cumulative scoring goals that combine the point totals of both players.

I think the idea there is you were not meant to let him get it, it is a competition. The game is encouraging you to try and beat your partner.

stigman80
23rd Aug 2010, 05:18

I agree with you on this mate. If I'm analysing the surroundings, looking where we have to go, what we need to do etc.. and my buddy is watching my back by capping a few bad guys. I'm essentially being punished for this "teamwork", as he gets points and I get nothing.

One of the challanges is to find and kill this giant lizard, If my buddy gets the final shot that kills it, we both get the challange. So it should be with the score challange. especially as the reward for completing the score challanges is a weapon. You both get them when you pick them up on the map.

Nemesis296
30th Aug 2010, 03:13
If you're playing cooperatively, that means you have to share points sometimes. I just played the game with my friend and there were times where he would let me get gems or kills to boost my score and then once I reached my point levels I would let him get everything from that point onward. There were even a few occasions where we would replay a level to allow more points to be scored. It's all about teamwork, even though you can technically compete if you really want to call it that.

By the way, I never noticed score changes when picking up relics and artifacts...only gems and kills for each player. It makes sense that the players would both get the artifacts, I would have been disappointed if you had to "trade" them back and forth (I'm looking at you Trine) in order to achieve the best setup.