PDA

View Full Version : Scott Pilgrim vs The World is amazing!

joe the janitor
20th Aug 2010, 06:00
It is very good, and anyone that appreciates games from the Atari/super Nintendo era will most likely love this.

joe the janitor
22nd Aug 2010, 03:06
Wow.... This is dead!

BeardedHoplite
22nd Aug 2010, 03:15
I don't really care to see this movie, too many hipster-looking types

joe the janitor
22nd Aug 2010, 06:03
I don't really care to see this movie, too many hipster-looking types
That's kinda the point. It's sorda his journey into not becoming a douch.

BeardedHoplite
22nd Aug 2010, 15:18
Well that, and I really don't like Michael Cera

Kent-45
22nd Aug 2010, 17:03
No offense, but I hate movies like these... movies where the nerdy guy gets the girl. Nerdy guys never get the girl. I want to see a movie where the nerdy guy lives a quiet life of tortured desperation, only to end it all in a frantic gun battle with a bunch of mall rent-a-cops. That's reality, that's what we need to be showing people.

ohitspatty
22nd Aug 2010, 17:17
No offense, but I hate movies like these... movies where the nerdy guy gets the girl. Nerdy guys never get the girl. I want to see a movie where the nerdy guy lives a quiet life of tortured desperation, only to end it all in a frantic gun battle with a bunch of mall rent-a-cops. That's reality, that's what we need to be showing people.

Ever seen Rampage by Uwe Boll?? Petty cool movie, it kinda has that Dog Days documentary feel to it.

Well that, and I really don't like Michael Cera

Anyway, I hate Cera myself. He is always Cera, not the character he is supposed to play.

joe the janitor
22nd Aug 2010, 18:55
But hes not! Your judging a movie that you haven't seen. Just because he plays video games doesn't make him a nerd.
You really know nothing about the movie...

GrievousOdyssey
29th Aug 2010, 19:25

My brothers , Kent just revealed his whole life in this one post ...
Also the cause of his cynisim , and the reason why he became a black ops agent ...

DEEP ...

Your judging a movie that you haven't seen.

So ? ...

SlashPrower
2nd Sep 2010, 17:24

Wow, you guys are *******s. This movie was actually really good, I saw it yesterday with my sister. It was a really fun, original experiment in movies, a sort of hybrid between movies and video games. It was also consistently funny, and had really great songs throughout (some were rock songs, some were 8-bit midi video game-sounding songs)

But no, you guys know absolutely nothing about the movie and you're all "lol this movie totally sucks i have watched exactly one trailer for it and know all about it and michael cera sucks lol", because obviously you're right and people who have actually seen the movie are totally wrong.

And Cera doesn't play a nerd so much as he plays an awkward douche who happens to play video games. The movie is about him becoming less of an awkward douche. As joe said.

Also, he gets the chick because the chick has some serious issues and he's about the only one willing to put up with her ex-boyfriends.

It's not a hipster movie, just a really, REALLY nerdy one. Which should be fine for you guys. Since we're all nerds here.

EDIT: Lol, found the soundtrack. I had almost forgotten about the emo band near the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4QS7n3Zgec

"This is dedicated to the guy who keeps yelling at us from the bleachers. It's called 'We Hate You, Please Die'."

I knew how nerdy this would be from the beginning, thanks to the remake of the Universal theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0s5eirEbo

JackGordon
2nd Sep 2010, 17:40
Slash = hipster.

Brackstone17
2nd Sep 2010, 17:44
This really seems to be one of those movies that no one can agree on. I haven't seen it, and probably won't see it anytime soon since better looking movies are coming out, but I do plan on seeing it eventually.

SlashPrower
2nd Sep 2010, 17:44
I don't have a big enough ego to be a hipster. I just happen to like movies that are good and genuinely fun to watch.

Also, hey, it's the best song in the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_tXh4cqnI

EDIT: Brackstone, you should rent it when it comes out on DVD if you're unsure. Depending on who you ask (at least, among the people who actually WATCHED THE MOVIE) it was either really fun or just weird and annoying. It's certainly a love-it-or-hate-it movie. Or you could just play the game, which was good >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn7W2wmBhtw

Also, I'd like to add something to my argument: it's created by the guy who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Brackstone17
2nd Sep 2010, 17:53
EDIT: Brackstone, you should rent it when it comes out on DVD if you're unsure. Depending on who you ask (at least, among the people who actually WATCHED THE MOVIE) it was either really fun or just weird and annoying.

Also, I'd like to add something to my argument: it's created by the guy who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

There's this small time theatre in my town that generally shows foreign/independant films, but they also usually put the big budget ones out about a month or two after the usual release, so I'll probably catch it there.

Also, Edgar Wright made Spaced as well, so he's got a pretty perfect track record.

Kent-45
2nd Sep 2010, 21:02
If I want to watch relationship drama, I'll go to Grievous' house.

I prefer my movies to have something a little less mundane... like a masked psychotic killer, or a unicorn named Sparkles who makes dreams come true. That's the kinda stuff I wanna see.

SlashPrower
2nd Sep 2010, 21:06
If I want to watch relationship drama, I'll go to Grievous' house.

I lol'd.

This movie is far from mundane. There's quite a few fight scenes (8 or 9, I think), the first of which involves an Indian guy shooting fireballs while singing, and his backup dancers are demon hipster chicks.

Plus, it was based off of a sweet comic.

http://www.platformnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/scott-pilgrim-vol-01.jpg

BeardedHoplite
2nd Sep 2010, 21:53

Wow, you guys are *******s.

Hey man, dont ***** at me because I don't want to see a movie that has an actor I don't like or because it has hipster, which I also don't like.

SlashPrower
3rd Sep 2010, 00:23
Well, then you'd like this movie. Cera gets beat up repeatedly.

AND IT'S NOT HIPSTER M'KAY

I blame advertising. This movie is really an insane fun video game-movie thing, but they advertised it like "Hey. It's Michael Cera. He's getting a girlfriend. It's, like, cool and laid back. Stuff. Bro."

Didn't even mention the fireball-shooting Indian guy, the Japanese twins who conjure giant dragons with the power of music, or the vegan guy with amazing vegan psychic powers.

SlashPrower
3rd Sep 2010, 17:34
http://www.cracked.com/funny-4739-scott-pilgrim/

Aw, I didn't know it did so bad at the box office. That sucks ;-;

EDIT: Ah, this makes sense: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/awards-campaign-2009/posts/what-went-wrong-with-scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-and-why-it-should-scare-moviefans

One of Seven
3rd Sep 2010, 17:38
Hey what's that Michael Cera movie where he plays that shy, soft spoken, akward kid?

SlashPrower
3rd Sep 2010, 17:43
Yeah, one of the huge problems with this movie is that no one likes Cera. And does he play into his usual role in this?

...Um, pretty much, at least for the first part. He's not bad, but if they had picked someone else more people would have gone to see this.

MxOAgentJohnson
3rd Sep 2010, 21:53
Double rainbow all the way

+1 this film was fan*******tastic "saw today" the soundtrack was amazing, the fight scenes were satisfying and the originality of it was just top notch, breathed new life into the film industry imho

TheMoD
3rd Sep 2010, 21:56
I reeeaally want to watch it but I have to wait till 2011 for it to be released in vienna... yes 2011 -.-

SlashPrower
3rd Sep 2010, 22:41
Double rainbow all the way

+1 this film was fan*******tastic "saw today" the soundtrack was amazing, the fight scenes were satisfying and the originality of it was just top notch, breathed new life into the film industry imho

You know it's good if MxO is backing me up on this, because MxO never supports me in any arguments ever.

One of Seven
5th Sep 2010, 11:44
Haven't seen it, but I don't really want to either. It feels like another movie where Michael Cera acts detached from everyone else.

One of Seven
5th Sep 2010, 11:49
Ever seen Rampage by Uwe Boll?? Petty cool movie, it kinda has that Dog Days documentary feel to it.

Anyway, I hate Cera myself. He is always Cera, not the character he is supposed to play.

Watched Rampage the other night, and that was lame as hell.

(Spoiler, SPOILER)

He guns down people because he hates society. Maybe he just shouldn't be a b**** and not whine about how his coffe doesn't have enough cream, or how his food gets knocked off of a table, or how he has to work at his JOB!!!!!!!!!!! The problem with this film is the main character has absolutely NO REASON to be strung out, and the thin armor plating and paintball mask deflecting bullets made me laugh.

UhUh
5th Sep 2010, 11:53
Rampage sounds awefully similar to Falling Down (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/).

One of Seven
5th Sep 2010, 14:27
It is, a lame version. Falling Down I thought was awesome though, he actually had reasons for being pissed.

SlashPrower
5th Sep 2010, 14:30
I just watched SpoonyOne's video about it. He loved it, and it was a good review. His thoughts on Cera:

"A lot of people rag on Michael Cera for being the exact same character- I don't find that is true, especially not here. I think he's got a bum rap in that regard...I think what it is, actually, the same kind of thing that...who's that guy in, uh, ****, what's his name...Seth Rogen. Something about Seth Rogen makes me just want to punch his face. A lot. Like, punch it with a brick, and I don't know what it is- the guy just ******* annoys me. I think that Michael Cera does to some people, and in the way Jesse Eisenberg does that to me."

He then made a note that seeing Seth Rogen in a trailer made him immediately dread the movie, and Michael Cera does that to other people.

Brackstone17
5th Sep 2010, 15:01
Hmm, that gives me an idea, if a movie was made starring Seth Rogen, Jesse Eisenberg and Michael Cera and it was directed by M. Night Shyamalan, would it have the worst opening weekend of any movie ever?

BeardedHoplite
5th Sep 2010, 21:13
It is, a lame version. Falling Down I thought was awesome though, he actually had reasons for being pissed.

I thought it was a black comedy until he met the Nazi gun-shop owner, then it got all serious.

One of Seven
6th Sep 2010, 01:35
I thought it was a black comedy until he met the Nazi gun-shop owner, then it got all serious.

That man was hilarious.