PDA

View Full Version : Just out of the Gamescom demo, please ask

jordan_a
19th Aug 2010, 22:26
Hey,

I just came out of the new private DXHR demo.

Basically it was a mission happening inside a police station and they played it three times: combat, pacifist, ghost.

You start outside then go in to pick up something on a corpse at the police station's morgue.

So fire your questions.

Jerion
19th Aug 2010, 22:29
Hey,

I just came out of the new private DXHR demo.

Basically it was a mission happening inside a police station and they played it three times: combat, pacifist, ghost.

You start outside then go in to pick up something on a corpse at the police station's morgue.

So fire your questions.

How balanced did the three different methods seem in comparison to one another?

Ashpolt
19th Aug 2010, 22:30
Did you see the inventory? If so, please describe.

Did you see the hacking minigame? If so, please describe!

Did you see any kind of aug upgrade menu?

jordan_a
19th Aug 2010, 22:38
How balanced did the three different methods seem in comparison to one another?
This is the essence of Deus Ex. Can I have fun and feel good whether I decide to shoot, talk or hack? And honestly it was the first time I really felt DXHR was Deus Ex.
I mean the station has several entries (4-5) and you can decide to discover them freely. It was interesting to see them play it three times because the result was almost going through 3 different levels!
So it was balanced because each playstyle was given enough room to be exploited.

Did you see the inventory? If so, please describe.
Did you see the hacking minigame? If so, please describe!
Did you see any kind of aug upgrade menu?

Yes, yes, yes. Well the inventory, that probably wasn't final, was just the picture of Adam on the left and cubes on the right with the items stacked. As you hover on the different items, say upgrades, it would focus on Adam, on different locations of his body (head, arms, back, ect...).
The hacking game seemed really cool and innovative, you have to catch something without behind caught by the firewall. Didn't get it but it far better than anything in Mass Effect 2.

pha
19th Aug 2010, 22:38
1. What's the UI like, in general?
2. To continue Ashpolt's inventory question, can we see weapon stats in the inventory?
3. Is the yellow/gold tint as dense as the content we've seen so far, is it everywhere, or are the colors more "balanced" indoors?

Thanks in advance.

jordan_a
19th Aug 2010, 22:41
1. What's the UI like, in general?
2. To continue Ashpolt's inventory question, can we see weapon stats in the inventory?
3. Is the yellow/gold tint as dense as the content we've seen so far, is it everywhere, or are the colors more "balanced" indoors?

Discreet UI but charged with many informations. When you receive a message (Sarif) his head appears on the top right hand corner with the text under it.

Didn't notice weapons stats, didn't really pay attention tbh.

It wasn't too much yellow/gold, even outside, actually inside it was green/blue/grey. Very nice.

capeutaine
19th Aug 2010, 22:41
Another question : what was the ratio between fps and tps during the different play-through of the level ?

(and thanks for answering the questions, and sharing that with us)

pha
19th Aug 2010, 22:44
Jolly good, thanks.

jordan_a
19th Aug 2010, 22:45
No difference noted. By the way the dialogs are 1st and 3rd. And it seems they finally chose to put bits of the sentence you're going to answer when you hover on the 3 different options.

mad825
19th Aug 2010, 22:50
were there any signs (or any visual elements) that would suggest that we could read books and/or newspapers like in Deus Ex 1 and 2?

jordan_a
19th Aug 2010, 22:52
mhh didnt pay attention but the level was pretty stuffed with computers, newspapers, boards on walls, books, ect...

Oh and I'm pretty sure I heard the coroner refer to Manderley.

Pinky_Powers
19th Aug 2010, 22:57
How were your impressions of the dialog? Poor? Nondescript, standard affair? Engaging?

pringlepower
19th Aug 2010, 22:59
mhh didnt pay attention but the level was pretty stuffed with computers, newspapers, boards on walls, books, ect...

Oh and I'm pretty sure I heard the coroner refer to Manderley.

Did he rap?

Pinky_Powers
19th Aug 2010, 23:02
In the "Guns Blazing" playthrough, was Adam in his Trenchcoat, or his Tactical Gear?

jordan_a
19th Aug 2010, 23:08
rap? :o

How were your impressions of the dialog? Poor? Nondescript, standard affair? Engaging?

It starts outside with a short discussion between Sarif and Adam, he says that this is a heist in a police station and that it takes time. That part was nice.

Inside the station, he speaks to someone he knows, Haas. Then there's kind of a discussion between them two about something that went wrong in the past and regrets... that was a bit weird but then I thought that it might not be the first time we meet Haas.

pringlepower
19th Aug 2010, 23:09
rap? :o

It starts outside with a short discussion between Sarif and Adam, he says that this is a heist in a police station and that it takes time. That part was nice.

Inside the station, he speaks to someone he knows, Haas. Then there's kind of a discussion between them two about something that went wrong in the past and regrets... that was a bit weird but then I thought that it might not be the first time we meet Haas.

Nevermind the rap. Just me and my queer mods.

Thanks for the info btw!

DON_The_Grey
19th Aug 2010, 23:11
Hey Jordan,
how did you experience auto gen health? Was it well balanced?
plus
What about Adams Eyes, his Vision, what can you tell us about it? is it only like tech googles in DX1?

Spyhopping
19th Aug 2010, 23:18
Appreciate you sharing your impressions. I like what I'm hearing so far, pleased to hear of variety in the colour palette and complex level design. I see you're recalling as much as you can, but looking forward to some news on interactivity with items in the world- readable items, consumables, things to sell, mission specific stuff.

What most about it made it feel more "deus ex" seeing it this time around? Multiple approaches? Or did the general atmosphere take you back?

jordan_a
19th Aug 2010, 23:19
I think you wore the trenchcoat even while fighting because you enter the area wearing it. You start "social"

auto gen, nothing particular the guy was invincible.

You have an orange see-through walls. (unless I'm mistaking with Witcher 2, it was a crazy day ^^) After giving it some thought it probably was Witcher 2. ^^

El_Bel
19th Aug 2010, 23:24
Can you describe stealth to us in comparison with DX1 stealth? How did you feel about it? Anything you liked? Anything that you didnt like? Was it heavily focused on 3d person looking behind corners?

Ashpolt
19th Aug 2010, 23:27
The hacking game seemed really cool and innovative, you have to catch something without behind caught by the firewall. Didn't get it but it far better than anything in Mass Effect 2.

Good news, but how long did it take? Was it a matter of a few seconds, or half a minute or more? My concern is that if it takes more than 5-10 seconds each time, it's going to get really tedious when you're doing it for the 50th time.

I was going to ask how health was represented visually - i.e. is it a health bar or is it shown by the screen turning red / going desaturated etc - but I'm guessing you didn't get any indication of that if he had invincibility on?

Tecman
19th Aug 2010, 23:30
In the violent approach, what kind of guns were used? Hell, what kind of weaponry in general? Any explosive devices aka grenades?

What did you think of the Approach -> Takedown gameplay? How did that look like?

Pinky_Powers
I think you wore the trenchcoat even while fighting because you enter the area wearing it. You start "social"

You start social? Then how does the fighting begin? Adam just takes out his gun and shoots everybody?

Pretentious Old Man.
Awesome, thanks for doing what EM can't be arsed to do! If I meet you in real life, you shall have some beer.

Question: Did it seem to you like there was a specific path for social, combat and hacking, or did it seem more like the original, where you did whatever you planned around those ideas?

Pinky_Powers
19th Aug 2010, 23:32
In the violent approach, what kind of guns were used? Hell, what kind of weaponry in general? Any explosive devices aka grenades?

This. Especially as it concerns the enemies. How did they handle you? Was there any flanking, or grenade use on their part?

ThePrecursor
19th Aug 2010, 23:37
You start social? Then how does the fighting begin? Adam just takes out his gun and shoots everybody?

He means that you start in a non-hostile environment in your trenchcoat. The fighting begins when the player wants to get into the morgue by other means than stealth and social interaction.

My questions:
- Was there any HUD at all? If so, can you give some details?
- Did the enemy AI seem intricate or rather average to you, based on the footage you've seen?
- How about the facial animations of Haas and Sarif? Where they on Tong's level?

jordan_a
20th Aug 2010, 00:46
Good news, but how long did it take? Was it a matter of a few seconds, or half a minute or more? My concern is that if it takes more than 5-10 seconds each time, it's going to get really tedious when you're doing it for the 50th time.
I was going to ask how health was represented visually - i.e. is it a health bar or is it shown by the screen turning red / going desaturated etc - but I'm guessing you didn't get any indication of that if he had invincibility on?Hacking seemed pretty long actually, but was it because they explained it at the same time? There are 4-5 small bars on the top left hand corner, very discreet. You seem to be recharging your augmentation power by absorbing "nutritient bars". Not sure about that one though.

What did you think of the Approach -> Takedown gameplay? How did that look like?
He had like a huge magnum, you could mount explosive ammo that make BOOM explosions!! You have sorts of mine you can toss on walls, they plug and you can shoot them to clear a path.
Takedown is reallyyy nice.

You start social? Then how does the fighting begin? Adam just takes out his gun and shoots everybody?Yeah you start shooting then alert.

Question: Did it seem to you like there was a specific path for social, combat and hacking, or did it seem more like the original, where you did whatever you planned around those ideas?You discover the stuff to do as you go along, nothing seemed too obvious nor too concealed. I mean it really felt like the original, in fact there is gameplay from DX1: take the crate to reach the ladder to get on the roof (Paul's appartment).

This. Especially as it concerns the enemies. How did they handle you? Was there any flanking, or grenade use on their part?

I don't remember them using grenades. Combat wasn't particularly fixed yet, I talked about it with EM as it didn't look very engaging or dynamic. They are well aware of that.

jordan_a
20th Aug 2010, 00:50
He means that you start in a non-hostile environment in your trenchcoat. The fighting begins when the player wants to get into the morgue by other means than stealth and social interaction.

My questions:
- Was there any HUD at all? If so, can you give some details?
- Did the enemy AI seem intricate or rather average to you, based on the footage you've seen?
- How about the facial animations of Haas and Sarif? Where they on Tong's level?

Exactly, there were 3 walkthrough: full combat, pacifist and ghost. There was a hud, talked about it previously: discreet but charged with info.

AI doesn't look ready yet, EM knows that I can assure you.

Sarif just contacts Adam by... "radio" so you only see his portrait.

Haas, an npc, had a pretty good facial animation, a tad under Tong perhaps but they must have put a lot of work on Tong for he may be a very important character. The coroner's was good, better than ME2 as a matter of fact.

jordan_a
20th Aug 2010, 00:54
You can use props as covers. The tester carried a huge printer he tossed in front of him to protect himself.

Fluffis
20th Aug 2010, 01:02
Awesome, thanks for doing what EM can't be arsed to do! If I meet you in real life, you shall have some beer.

I second this. http://i.imdb.com/Photos/CMSIcons/emoticons/basic2/cheers.gif

You've done well, young jordan_a.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 01:08
Thanks for taking the time to share with us, Jordan.

pringlepower
20th Aug 2010, 01:10
You can use props as covers. The tester carried a huge printer he tossed in front of him to protect himself.

Awesome. Why bother with cover if it ain't dynamic

TrickyVein
20th Aug 2010, 01:26
I have a question: did you notice any music? Did it change depending on what situation you were in (walking, combat or conversation?)

It sounds like you had an excellent experience.

NKD
20th Aug 2010, 01:30

ROFL. I am so doing that.

pringlepower
20th Aug 2010, 01:31
I have a question: did you notice any music? Did it change depending on what situation you were in (walking, combat or conversation?)

It sounds like you had an excellent experience.

It did that in the leaked footage.

TrickyVein
20th Aug 2010, 01:34
Are you Jordan-a? I want his answer.

Sod off.

:D

ZakKa89
20th Aug 2010, 02:35
I wish I could have seen the private one! : (

luminar
20th Aug 2010, 02:45

This is awsome! One of the only good things about the cover system I've heard.

Isterio
20th Aug 2010, 02:52
Hi Jordan_A,

Thanks for answering all the questions. It's nice to get some neutral impressions from an outsider (no offense).

Questions:

- About the dialog. Were there any real choices or could you just pick the order of asking/speaking the items? It would be interesting to know, if you could really differ like "frak off! I do, as I please" or "Yes, of course. I totally understand." or "by the way, did you see the game last night?".

- Was there some kind of looting the dead? Did they pick up weapons from enemies?

- What was your impression? Would you buy the game?

Thanks for your time and efforts,

Isterio

avenging_teabag
20th Aug 2010, 05:25
Thanks for answering all the questions Jordan_A, kinda late to the party but still:

- What was your impressions on the writing? Not the dialog trees but the writing itself, was it adequate? Stilted? Did it sound natural?
- How are the augs activated? Were there any passive augs?
- Did you get a glimpse of the energy system? If yes, how does it work?
- How was the voiceacting all around, beside Adam?

rokstrombo
20th Aug 2010, 06:05
Thanks jordan_a!

Irate_Iguana
20th Aug 2010, 09:52
AI doesn't look ready yet, EM knows that I can assure you.

Red flag. If AI is still **** this late in development don't have high hopes for it. It means that they have been struggling with it for a long time and don't know how to make it work. They are hoping for a miracle between now and when the game will hit gold.

mad825
20th Aug 2010, 10:06
I sense a delay coming along :(

oh well, Perhaps it might lower the pre-ordering cost even more ^.^

Jerion
20th Aug 2010, 10:12
I wouldn't worry about that too much, the AI in HR is way more complex and multi-faceted than most games'. They're probably working more heavily on the combat side of it now.

-Optimistic Guy

Ashpolt
20th Aug 2010, 10:40
I sense a delay coming along :(

I hope so, to be honest. The Q1/Q2 2011 time frame has seemed ridiculously ambitious to me since it was announced, considering they've only felt comfortable showing anything in game at all from May this year. To go from "we can't even give screenshots" to a released product in a year or less would be ambitious for most titles, but it's even more so for a game with the scale and depth that DXHR supposedly has.

As far as I'm concerned, a delay would only be a good thing.

mad825
20th Aug 2010, 10:49
I hope so, to be honest. The Q1/Q2 2011 time frame has seemed ridiculously ambitious to me since it was announced, considering they've only felt comfortable showing anything in game at all from May this year. To go from "we can't even give screenshots" to a released product in a year or less would be ambitious for most titles, but it's even more so for a game with the scale and depth that DXHR supposedly has.

Well the reasons are still unclear however we could just put this down to SE being rather stubborn and it's not big news any more that SE likes to withdraw information about games as the recent gaming headlines news would suggest :D

but if it's because of technical reasons then I could understand but I'll still be disappointed and counting the pennies

Spyhopping
20th Aug 2010, 10:50
I sense a delay coming along :)

Fixed!

I hope there's a decent delay. More time to make a better game.

jordan_a
20th Aug 2010, 11:07
I have a question: did you notice any music? Did it change depending on what situation you were in (walking, combat or conversation?) It sounds like you had an excellent experience.
Yes the music was in place and seemed very atmospheric (like DX2). But the volume was low, I assume this is because the developers need to speak while playing. And I read somewhere a few days ago that McCann finished the soundtrack.

- About the dialog. Were there any real choices or could you just pick the order of asking/speaking the items? It would be interesting to know, if you could really differ like "frak off! I do, as I please" or "Yes, of course. I totally understand." or "by the way, did you see the game last night?".

- Was there some kind of looting the dead? Did they pick up weapons from enemies?

- What was your impression? Would you buy the game?

Well the dialog tree is simple, you choose between three attitudes then the npc retorts, and you might answer automatically before having to choose again between three attitudes, it's pretty classic. But sometimes if you answer something specific you can fail the conversation and it's over, there's no going back. When you talk to Haas in the police station, there's one dialog tree that would have him unlock the door, but any other answer will fail, just like in Mass Effect 2.

There's looting.

Of course I'll buy it, day 1! Even the novels.

- What was your impressions on the writing? Not the dialog trees but the writing itself, was it adequate? Stilted? Did it sound natural?
- How are the augs activated? Were there any passive augs?
- Did you get a glimpse of the energy system? If yes, how does it work?
- How was the voiceacting all around, beside Adam?

The writing seemed just right, 90% of the demo it respected the mood. There's just a strange piece of dialog with Haas that is kinda... :flowers: soft thus weird.

Dont know how you activate or about passive augs, but not too worried.

There were nutritient bars you can pick up to replenish your augs. The cloak is very nice.

Good voice acting.

jordan_a
20th Aug 2010, 11:10
"DX:HR team received a "spiritual" visit yesterday! Accordingly to the godfather, we are on tracks ..."

From Eidos Montréal's GM.

Spyhopping
20th Aug 2010, 11:16
There were nutritient bars you can pick up to replenish your augs.

Hooray for consumable items!

Ashpolt
20th Aug 2010, 11:37
There were nutritient bars you can pick up to replenish your augs.

Nutrient bars replenish your augs? Are you sure about this, and sure it wasn't health? Because that makes no sense whatsoever.

As with Spyhoppan, I'm all for consumable items, but some kind of sense would be nice. We know from various previews (unless they were mistaken) that both health and aug power regen items are in in some form, so it would seem to make more sense if nutrient bars sped up health regen.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 12:59
I would imagine that these "nutrient bars" (probably a mis-translation) are in fact the equivalent of the bio-electric batteries of DX1.

AzureForge
20th Aug 2010, 13:07
I don't remember them using grenades. Combat wasn't particularly fixed yet, I talked about it with EM as it didn't look very engaging or dynamic. They are well aware of that.

I had the pleasure of also seeing the demo and Jordon is right on the spot with all his answers but I must expand about the combat part. There was a lot of people in the police station but most of them were not battle hardened combatant. There was a couple of swat and they were quite aggressive. It was a good thing the demoer was invincible because those shotgun blast looked mean but the biggest part of the population were desk cop and civilians.

I don't expect a desk cop to have a grenade belt and even if he did, there would have been too much colateral damage in the blast. How bright does the AI looks like if he kills a fellow cop and a prostitute in the bast ;). More so, it was said to be early in the game and the diffculty level must have been on normal.

I leave you the judgement but I wonder, what do you prefer? That a desk cop fight like a desk cop and be prudent sticking to his cover hoping to be able to go back to his wife or his childrens while a blade weilding, explosive ammo shooting terminator kills everyone? Or do you prefer on the edge of your seat, military trained call duty like intense combat with a feareless shotgun blasting soldier rushing on you in a small detroit police station? Maybe when you get to actually trained combatant they are more gun crazy it will be more dynamic but the demo was set in a more urban setting. Making realistic AI can be a double edge blade. What is the correct setting between fun and realist? You decide, what do you want for your Deus Ex? I'm sure EM is listening.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 13:33
I would imagine that these "nutrient bars" (probably a mis-translation) are in fact the equivalent of the bio-electric batteries of DX1.

I was thinking of it also like Ghost in the Shell, where the synthetics had their own sort of food.

Irate_Iguana
20th Aug 2010, 13:44
I was thinking of it also like Ghost in the Shell, where the synthetics had their own sort of food.

Just use bioelectric cells. They are the equivalent of AA batteries in the DX universe. There is no good reason to start ignoring them now in favor for something ripped from an anime.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 13:52
Just use bioelectric cells. They are the equivalent of AA batteries in the DX universe. There is no good reason to start ignoring them now in favor for something ripped from an anime.

BioCells were used to replenish nanites. They're free to come up with something different for Mechs. And I'd prefer it if they did. It makes no sense that these two technologies should be so alike they can use each other's power cells.

On the other hand. The BioCells were so prevalent, and Nano-technology so new... they probably were more like AA batteries.

I don't know.

Daeda
20th Aug 2010, 13:55
Just seen it. Completely blown away by how awesome it was. Some quick things before i return to writingt my (dutch, sorry guys) preview of it.

It was mentionned that the game entered beta. So all elements are in place
I noticed a pailkiller item on a desk
The time required for health to restore is really low, so it looked hard to play just gun blazing
HUD(not final) currently consists of health/enery bar at left top, communication info at right top, weapon info at right bottom with selected augs above it.. cant remember what was at the left bottom
Inventory seems like first game, with only difference that you can rotate items now
I counted 21 augs, all with their own upgrade tree
Character from Deus Ex was mentioned: Manderley
Switch from first to third person is really smooth
There was an non lethal weapon showed, but the game crashed (happens sometimes with alpha builds) before i could see it
Hour of cutscenes, all at chokepoints in the game so you cant have them differ
Graphics looked just slightly as if they where painted, looked nice
Hacking looked complex
Saw no newspapers, though they confirmed emails as readable

ThePrecursor
20th Aug 2010, 14:00
Just seen it. Completely blown away by how awesome it was. Some quick things before i return to writingt my (dutch, sorry guys) preview of it.

I noticed a painkiller item on a desk
The time required for health to restore is really low, so it looked hard to play just gun blazing
HUD(not final) currently consists of health/enery bar at left top, communication info at right top, weapon info at right bottom with selected augs above it.. cant remember what was at the left bottom
Inventory seems like first game, with only difference that you can rotate items now
I counted 21 augs, all with their own upgrade tree
Character from Deus Ex was mentioned: Manderley
There was an non lethal weapon showed, but the game crashed (happens sometimes with alpha builds) before i could see it
Hacking looked complex
Saw no newspapers, though they confirmed emails as readable

Thanks for the info, sounds promising :thumb: I think you mentioned painkiller in your second point so I fixed that.

Also, where can I read your review? (I'm also Dutch)

Daeda
20th Aug 2010, 14:07
Gamer.nl, dont know when it will be online. Probably somewhere next week.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 14:25
Thank you, Daeda!

It make sense actually that Manderley might come form a police station, since he supposedly worked at Interpol before becoming head of UNATCO. Nice, I like it. Makes sense.

Irate_Iguana
20th Aug 2010, 14:47
BioCells were used to replenish nanites. They're free to come up with something different for Mechs. And I'd prefer it if they did. It makes no sense that these two technologies should be so alike they can use each other's power cells.

On the other hand. The BioCells were so prevalent, and Nano-technology so new... they probably were more like AA batteries.

I don't know.

They used the bioelectric cells to power the Obsidian armor that the MJ-12 troopers were using. That armor was a mech augmentation. One of the Versalife scientists states in an e-mail how he finds it fantastic that this kind of new technology can be powered by standard stuff that you can find on any shelf. It makes actual sense if they carry over the biocells, so that of course means EM won't be doing it.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 15:04
It makes actual sense if they carry over the biocells, so that of course means EM won't be doing it.

lol. Probably true.

Ilves
20th Aug 2010, 15:36
[/LIST]

That's a major improvement right there.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 17:48
that's a major improvement right there.

+ 1

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 17:52
that's a major improvement right there.

+2.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 18:05
+2.

Ever do you ride behind me in your lustful pursuit. I can feel your rasping breath on my neck, and I slip sporadically into a kind of fear coma.

But I find that I like it, in a queer way. :hmm:

KSingh77
20th Aug 2010, 18:12
Did Robocop appear in the demo?

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 18:31
Ever do you ride behind me in your lustful pursuit. I can feel your rasping breath on my neck, and I slip sporadically into a kind of fear coma.

But I find that I like it, in a queer way. :hmm:

At least I don't kill Australian explorers. ;)

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 18:44
At least I don't kill Australian explorers. ;)

That's because you're too old and pretentious, and their savage gibberish leaves you lonely and confused.

Jerion
20th Aug 2010, 19:02
"DX:HR team received a "spiritual" visit yesterday! Accordingly to the godfather, we are on tracks ..."

From Eidos Montréal's GM.

Whoaheywaitwhat? :eek:

Shinrei
20th Aug 2010, 19:04
Thanks Daeda and jordan_a for the infos. :)

Good to hear they bring the inventory back...it all sounds promising. Also I like the fact that they use " nutritient bars" instead of bio electric cells for mechs. It's kinda logical for EM to come up with something different for the mechs (or mechanically augs) than using bio electric cells.

Mindmute
20th Aug 2010, 19:26
Thanks Daeda and jordan_a for the infos. :)

Good to hear they bring the inventory back...it all sounds promising. Also I like the fact that they use " nutritient bars" instead of bio electric cells for mechs. It's kinda logical for EM to come up with something different for the mechs (or mechanically augs) than using bio electric cells.

Like someone already mentioned, even the power-armour the MJ12 Commandos used was powered by bio-electric cells. How do you think it's logical that a nutrient-bar can be used to replenish your augmentation's energy levels instead of a BE cell?

I honestly hope there's some confusion and what the bars actually do is help the HR replenish your health faster for a few moments.

At least it gives me hope for the future. Apparently if my cellphone's battery dies, I'll be able to feed it a few bananas in an emergency.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 19:33
I honestly hope there's some confusion and what the bars actually do is help the HR replenish your health faster for a few moments.

I think it would be far better if the nutritious snack cakes increased your weapon's rate of fire, or made your grenades explode with strangely pleasant party sounds.

WildcatPhoenix
20th Aug 2010, 19:38
I think it would be far better if the nutritious snack cakes increased your weapon's rate of fire, or made your grenades explode with strangely pleasant party sounds.

Grunt birthday party skull ftw! :thumb:

On a more serious note, I think power cells, batteries, or just the old familiar biocells would make a helluva lot more sense than "nutrient bars," but I get the feeling this is just a mistranslation.

JCpies
20th Aug 2010, 19:43
For a second I thought he said 'an hour of cutscenes' I thought. MGS4. Oh dear. I don't hate the long cutscenes, but they're inconvenient.

Shinrei
20th Aug 2010, 19:46
On a more serious note, I think power cells, batteries, or just the old familiar biocells would make a helluva lot more sense than "nutrient bars," but I get the feeling this is just a mistranslation.

Thinking that too...hopefully only a mistranslation and @ Mindmute...yap you are right, even the MJ12's used bio electric cells so it's not logical at all! :P

But hell yeah...even Gunther uses Lemon lime to replenish his energy! scnr :rasp:

Daeda
20th Aug 2010, 21:27
If somebody still has any questions, feel free to ask. Ill keep checking this forum for the next few days to answer as much as I can. Just rest assured, the game looked great and might even surpass the original game on some elements, though im sure haters are gonna hate.. also I got semi confirmation Warren liked it, though the team understandably didnt want to speak on his behalf..

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 21:44
If somebody still has any questions, feel free to ask. Ill keep checking this forum for the next few days to answer as much as I can. Just rest assured, the game looked great and might even surpass the original game on some elements, though im sure haters are gonna hate.. also I got semi confirmation Warren liked it, though the team understandably didnt want to speak on his behalf..

I asked Jordan about this, but he wasn't observant enough to give me a positive yay or nay, lol. So I'll ask you as well: On the Combat Play-through, did Adam wear his trenchcoat the whole time? And did he use any Augs, like cloaking whilst in his cow threads?

Daeda
20th Aug 2010, 21:56
I asked Jordan about this, but he wasn't observant enough to give me a positive yay or nay, lol. So I'll ask you as well: On the Combat Play-through, did Adam wear his trenchcoat the whole time? And did he use any Augs, like cloaking whilst in his cow threads?

Yes he kept on the coat. Atleast, the part of the combat demo i saw (due to crash) but since he didnt transport I can asume he didnt take the coat of. I think he only takes hit off for missions dedicated to only combat, like the docks in the E3 demo. The blad move looked even more awesome while wearing the coat btw.

Dont understand what you mean by cow threads, so cant answer that question for you.

mad825
20th Aug 2010, 22:02
Dont understand what you mean by cow threads, so cant answer that question for you.

cow threads = leather.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 22:07

His coat is mostly leather. Leather is usually come from cow hide. Hence, cow threads. :cool:

Thanks for the info. I think we all assumed the coat thing wouldn't really be an issue, but it was a nagging fear for some of us. It's a fine and lovely thing to know Adam's violence remains unbridled, wrapped in his moomoo sheet.

Daeda
20th Aug 2010, 22:08
Well in that case, yeah he used cloak and everything while in the coat. Didnt see the claymore aug, but apart from that everything shown in the (combat) part of the E3 demo was present

Red
21st Aug 2010, 00:33
WTF, now every individual at the show has seen a different video? 3 instances in this forum at least...

Well, fu...ehm..pardon me, isn't the AI still in the "developing" zone as heard/read earlier?

What now, was the guy invincible during the play or not? If not, I'm calling jordan_a liar about that.

Have to see that one yet in a trailer, which is supposed to "sell" the game. So far, all showcases were choppy framerate-wise and immersion breaking (that goes without saying).

How long have you been in there, man? O_o There's more footage?

Stencil shaders? Great, another point -1.

Hacking looked complex

Herp derp. -.- Eh, at least something. Hope this won't get too tedious.

mad825
21st Aug 2010, 01:08
the game in Beta? he did state in the Gamespot interview on the other thread it's still in development as they are just "fine-tuning" unless of course Jean is talking out of his lower, pelvic colon.

Sadly Jean has never said things clearly in any video interview as they seem to have different obscure agendas on what the game is.

Daeda
21st Aug 2010, 10:05
WTF, now every individual at the show has seen a different video? 3 instances in this forum at least...

Well, fu...ehm..pardon me, isn't the AI still in the "developing" zone as heard/read earlier?

Beta means feature complete. So that most likely doesnt include AI as they will now start balancing the game

What now, was the guy invincible during the play or not? If not, I'm calling jordan_a liar about that.

He was invincible. The health however could drop to 1 so it showed the system in action

Pinky_Powers
21st Aug 2010, 10:23
Have to see that one yet in a trailer, which is supposed to "sell" the game. So far, all showcases were choppy framerate-wise and immersion breaking (that goes without saying).

The gameplay trailer was not meant to "sell the game". It was only to give people a glimpse of what was being shown at Gamecom.

There will be proper gameplay trailers later, which will show a game that's refined and almost ready to ship. These will be intended to "sell the game".

Khaeru
22nd Aug 2010, 22:13
can you "steal people's eyes"? I mean hack ppl's body/mind or w/e and control them. If someone asked this before me sry and don't bother answering

jordan_a
23rd Aug 2010, 00:16
No but you can use the body of a guard to go through gates they only can pass.

Khaeru
23rd Aug 2010, 08:23
thnx :]

Daeda
23rd Aug 2010, 12:32
For the dutch speakig people interested: http://www.gamer.nl/preview/60460/deus-ex-human-revolution-1

I really dont have the time for a translation, so sorry for that.

Irate_Iguana
23rd Aug 2010, 12:44
For the dutch speakig people interested: http://www.gamer.nl/preview/60460/deus-ex-human-revolution-1

I really dont have the time for a translation, so sorry for that.

Done. Took me a little longer though.

Completely blown away we left the Gamescom behind closed-doors presentation of Deus Ex: Human revolution. Although the E3-demonstration was very impressive, it paled in comparison to the gameplay options shown in Cologne. Without a doubt we dare say that human Revolution doesn't just honor its monumental predecessor, but maybe even perfects the gameplay of Deus Ex.

The demo of Deus Ex: Human Revolution starts in a neighborhood of the American city Detroit, famed for its automotive industry. That Detroit hasn't totally recovered from the economical malaise from our time is clearly visible in the extremely dirty streets and the enormous number of homeless people scrounging around in the trash looking for food. Yet there is hope, because in deus Ex: Human Revolution (seriously, do these people need to spell it out every sentence? I'm going to call it HR from here on out.) the car factories have made way for plants producing mechanical augmentations, robotic components that replace and improve the limbs of people. A futuristic monorail glides over the head of protagonist Adam Jensen while he strolls towards the police station to complete his next mission.

Three Ways

Last E3 we were shown the four pillars of the Deus Ex gameplay one after the other. The combat is, unlike in the first installment, dependent solely on the player's skills and not on invisible statistics. Stealth consists of hiding behind walls and bypassing cameras and by hacking you can disable locks. You can also advance in the game by using conversations. The impact of these different elements doesn't become clear until after seeing three totally different ways to play a mission.

The mission shown revolves around the police agency Adam is standing in front of. In the morgue of the station lies the body of a terrorist containing a chip wanted by Adam's boss. Just strolling in and taking it is not an option, because the police is under strict orders to guard the body. And so we witness Jensen completing this assignment using a drawn gun, with his charms and without being seen.

With drawn pistol

Entering the station we see a door with a sign telling unauthorized personnel not to continue. An unsuspecting police officer points out that we can't just walk on ahead. Unfortunately for the officer Jensen doesn't heed his warning. When threatened to be detained he kills the police officer by letting a razor sharp sword appear from his mechanical arms. Immediately the police station transforms into a bloodbath. Using his mechanically reinforced arms Jensen lifts a copier to use as a shield. Smoothly the perspective slides from 1st to third person, giving plenty of visibility.

During the firefight we quickly notice how fast Adam's hitpoints disappear and how slowly they recover. There has been much fuss about the automatic health regeneration, but with the current system the game appears to punish a head-on firefight rather than encourage it. In front of the morgue Adam switches weapons to blow the closed door open. This gives us our first look at the inventory, consisting of a large number of fillable squares it looks a lot like the one from the first game. After blowing the door open Jensen grabs the chip from the body and escapes through the sewer. Mission accomplished.

Charming man

In the second attempt Jensen takes a left after entering the station, towards the front desk. The receptionist turns out to be an old college and Jensen tries to get him to grant access to the entire station. The face of the ex-college appears on screen and we immediately notice that his face has a light painted effect. This shows the renaissance influences that Eidos Montreal uses for the visual style of the game. By choosing various conversation topics it is possible to convince the receptionist and give Jensen a hassle-free walk to the morgue where he can pick up the chip.

Should the conversation fail it is possible to use an augmentation to blackmail the receptionist into giving access. Although this gives the same result as winning the conversation, this choice has a consequence later on in the game. The receptionist will be fired and about 4 hours later in the game will confront Jensen about this. This shows the impact that choices in HR can have. Although the overall plot of the game won't change, there are a lot of minor variations that can occur that should give people the feeling that their choices matter.

Unseen

The final approach is about gaining access to the morgue unseen. Instead of walking through the front door, Adam looks for an entrance in the alley behind the police station. Here we find a code-locked door. Since Adam doesn't have the code we decide to upgrade his hacking skill. In the augmentation menu, where we find 21 augmentations each with their own upgrade tree, we add hacking. Via a complicated looking minigame, which revolves around reaching a node in the computer network, we finally manage to bypass the lock.

Once inside Adam uses cover and his invisibility augmentation to slip past the many agents and cameras. We immediately notice how enormous the police station is. There are 4 floors and the police station is just a small part of the Detroit level. Once we get close to the morgue Adam bumps into a guard and an alarm system. The alarm system, consisting of a few red lasers, deactivates itself once the guard gets close. Adam knocks out the guard and drags the unconscious body past the lasers. After searching the unconscious body Adam finds the code to the morgue. Without difficulty and without being seen Adam takes the chip from the body and once again disappears through the sewer.

The three options shown are just several from the near infinite number of possibilities to get control of the chip. It's possible to change playstyle to your hearts content and the police station was riddled with hallways, ventilation shafts and alternative entrances. It seems that HR copies the most important elements of its predecessors perfectly.

Pretentious Old Man.
23rd Aug 2010, 13:29
It's been 44.

Tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock

Irate_Iguana
23rd Aug 2010, 13:35
The bit about the social aug was interesting.

ZakKa89
23rd Aug 2010, 14:12
Never knew you live in the Netherlands too Irate : P

It's filled with dutch people on this forum!

Pretentious Old Man.
23rd Aug 2010, 14:15
They're taking over the world.

Pinky_Powers
23rd Aug 2010, 14:53
I'm a bit concerned with this Renaissance painted rendering look we've been hearing about. I didn't notice the gameplay trailing looking very painted. So is this new, or just so subtle it's barely there?

Daeda
23rd Aug 2010, 15:13
Just barely there... its to prevent uncanny valley according to the designers. Really, it looked nice, but you have to see the faces from up close to notice it. So dont worry :)

Irate_Iguana
23rd Aug 2010, 15:14
Never knew you live in the Netherlands too Irate : P

It's filled with dutch people on this forum!

There are three or four others on this forum that I know about.

I'm a bit concerned with this Renaissance painted rendering look we've been hearing about. I didn't notice the gameplay trailing looking very painted. So is this new, or just so subtle it's barely there?

Don't know. Honestly, I'm kind of intrigued by it. I wish they would release some decent shots.

Jerion
23rd Aug 2010, 15:16
There are three or four others on this forum that I know about.

Don't know. This is the first interview mentioning this. Could be that because of the lighting it doesn't always show perfectly. Could be that this writer was wrong. Could be that the other writers are blind.

I think it's just in the character textures. If you look at the HD version of the "gameplay" trailer, Barkeep's face looks slightly painted.

EDIT:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/Zeoman1001/Screenshot2010-08-23at111906AM.png

Daeda
23rd Aug 2010, 15:27
I think it's just in the character textures. If you look at the HD version of the "gameplay" trailer, Barkeep's face looks slightly painted.

EDIT:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/Zeoman1001/Screenshot2010-08-23at111906AM.png

Indeed, this is what i meant by it. It doesnt look realistic but rather shows some influence of some Rembrandt paintings, which are frequently used in the Deus Ex HR thematics.

Compare it to this:

http://www.chrisdenengelsman.nl/Kunst%20kolom/rembrandt/rembrandt.1640.jpeg

Pinky_Powers
23rd Aug 2010, 15:35
I see what you're saying, but it doesn't give me an especially "painted" feel. Just looks like low-res textures. :)

avenging_teabag
23rd Aug 2010, 15:37
There has been much fuss about the automatic health regeneration, but with the current system the game appears to punish a head-on firefight rather than encourage it.
This is something that I actually don't like, if it's true. Imo, the game shouldn't penalize the violent approach (or any other approach), it should give me the tools to make to make my own path. If I want to go rambo, then by golly I should be able to without much headache. I don't want the devs wagging their collective finger at me preaching "Violence is bad! Bad! Think of the kiddies!"

It's the same thing, I'm afraid that the game will force you to take additional augmentations, I don't want that. I hope they will get the balance right, it's a damn hard thing to do.

Irate_Iguana
23rd Aug 2010, 15:38
I see what you're saying, but it doesn't give me an especially "painted" feel. Just looks like low-res textures. :)

The lighting seems to be responsible for that. When you know what to look for it becomes obvious, but if you don't know and the soft yellow light falls on the screen it becomes hard to notice.

It's the same thing, I'm afraid that the game will force you to take additional augmentations, I don't want that. I hope they will get the balance right, it's a damn hard thing to do.

There are a lot of augmentations and presumably quite a few of them would play a role in combat. Add to that the cover mechanic and you can see why they have to make combat pretty difficult. If it is very easy to go Rambo without augs and without much cover use it would make the game too easy if you do make use of those sytems. It is a very hard thing to balance.

Pinky_Powers
23rd Aug 2010, 15:55
This is something that I actually don't like, if it's true. Imo, the game shouldn't penalize the violent approach (or any other approach), it should give me the tools to make to make my own path. If I want to go rambo, then by golly I should be able to without much headache. I don't want the devs wagging their collective finger at me preaching "Violence is bad! Bad! Think of the kiddies!"

Think about it this way. Wouldn't you want a game to be so punishing in it's firefights that it forces you to find a way to survive it, rather than being so easy you don't have to give it much though?

This was certainly what Deus Ex was like. You had to be very clever in your playstyle to survive. Only until you got things like Ballistic Armor, GEP Gun and certain Augs did the firefights grow easier.

A simple man with a gun shouldn't be able to blow through a police station without serious strategy. :)

WildcatPhoenix
23rd Aug 2010, 16:00
I think Pinky makes a good point here. I remember getting extremely frustrated with the Liberty Island mission when I first played through the game. I just didn't understand why I couldn't charge through the level and spray terrorists with bullets. I kept dying. And re-loading. And dying some more. Came very close to ragequitting.

Finally the real "pace" of the game began to set in to my rather dense skull. It wasn't until I installed the Regen and Ballistic Resistance augs that the firefights became easy to survive.

avenging_teabag
23rd Aug 2010, 16:00
There are a lot of augmentations and presumably quite a few of them would play a role in combat. Add to that the cover mechanic and you can see why they have to make combat pretty difficult. If it is very easy to go Rambo without augs and without much cover use it would make the game too easy if you do make use of those sytems. It is a very hard thing to balance.
Yeah, I know, it's just that article mae it sound like they were curbing the combat approach as opposed to stealth or chat, which is not the way to go imo, not to mention that being able to chat your way through every mission really beggars belief. They should give every player an equal chance, and it's not like I ever intend to go guns blazing cause I'm really terrible with mouse controls. So yeah, hope they get the balance right.

Thanks for the translation, btw. :)

Edit: @Pinky what I'm saying is not that they should make the combat approach easy, or easier, but that they shouldn't penalize it compared to the other playstyles. I'm starting to have an impression (hope I'm wrong) that afraid of massive nerdrage (Console! Run&gun! Wah wah wah corridor shooter wah) they will lean massively the other way and nerf combat.

Daeda
23rd Aug 2010, 16:09
Well, they mentionned they'd start balancing the game so that each playingstyle will work out, so wouldnt worry too much. I just wanted to point out that health regen doesnt seem to make the game easy per se

DeusWhatever
23rd Aug 2010, 16:13
This is something that I actually don't like, if it's true. Imo, the game shouldn't penalize the violent approach (or any other approach), it should give me the tools to make to make my own path.

The problem is, if you dont penalize playing "rambo" (your a pretty strange women ...) you automatically penalize playing the stealth approach, like i said before, if "rambo" works out easy without drawbacks "stealth" gets pointless.

And "Rambo" is "easy". Otherwise "rambo" wouldnt be possible. I guess the best way to please both audiences would be different "Gamesettings" for different types of players. Yet, honestly, if you want to play "rambo" im not shure if DX is the right game.

avenging_teabag
23rd Aug 2010, 16:18
The problem is, if you dont penalize playing "rambo" (your a pretty strange women ...) you automatically penalize playing the stealth approach, like i said before, if "rambo" works out easy without drawbacks "stealth" gets pointless.

And "Rambo" is "easy". Otherwise "rambo" wouldnt be possible. I guess the best way to please both audiences would be different "Gamesettings" for different types of players. Yet, honestly, if you want to play "rambo" im not shure if DX is the right game.
No, I don't, like I said I'm pretty terrible with mouse controls, so even from the first playthrough I always played more or less stealthy, just sniping mofos from the distance (I just wasn't sure at first if that was what the game wanted from me). And no, rambo is not easy, not for everyone.

DeusWhatever
23rd Aug 2010, 16:19
No, I don't, like I said I'm pretty terrible with mouse controls, so even from the first playthrough I always played more or less stealthy, just sniping mofos from the distance. And no, rambo is not easy, not for everyone.

It is, at least if its rambo, if it would be hard, it would be tactical, cause at least from my point of view, rambo is running arround with heavy-machine guns without taking cover at all, which would require the game to be easy, otherwise you would have to take cover, sometimes. But maybe we have different definitions of "rambo"?

avenging_teabag
23rd Aug 2010, 16:34
Well, what they describe as the first playthrough of the police mission is pretty much my definition of rambo. And no, it's not easy, at least not if you don't have an excellent twitch-coordination and your character dies from two bullets.

Ilves
24th Aug 2010, 18:07
If any of the GamesCom goers are still around, I'd love to hear some more on in-game NPC radio contact during missions.

I believe a com system comparable to the infolink was as much as confirmed... Can you tell more on the frequency with which NPC's chime in? And what is the nature of their communications? Just vague mission statements, or in your face hints/instructions on how to progress?

I guess in short; to what extent is the game holding your hand?

Daeda
24th Aug 2010, 21:05
Well, I only remember one showing up in the demo. When walking towards the police station your boss tells you you can use any means nescessary to infiltrate, but that it would be preferable if you didnt kill everyone. He the mentions that there might be some extra entrances on the roof.

The NPC contact itself shows up at the right top screen. A photo of the caller is shown, with the spoken text next to it. It takes a lot less room on screen than the first games.

As far as i could see, the text doesnt hold your hand, but is very similar to the original games.

Ilves
24th Aug 2010, 21:10
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Dankjewel! :)

Blackbird SR-71C
24th Aug 2010, 21:13

I think you misunderstood him. He said that the game penalizes a head-on assault approach, not every assault approach. I think that's a good thing. If you run in guns-blazing you probably get shot to death, since you have little but regenerating health. Though, if you plan ahead, take cover, aim for the head you won't get shot as much or in the same, vulnerable zones (head,torso) so that you can wait in cover and take a new approach, or use grenades to get them out of cover etc. etc.
That sounds like the kind of gameplay I'd like to see. Also, it seems to me that you will be able to costumize your approach more since you can sneak without invisibilty as well, or shoot without gun-training. The draw-back remains to be seen, though.

Pinky_Powers
24th Aug 2010, 21:58
Well, I only remember one showing up in the demo. When walking towards the police station your boss tells you you can use any means nescessary to infiltrate, but that it would be preferable if you didnt kill everyone. He the mentions that there might be some extra entrances on the roof.

The NPC contact itself shows up at the right top screen. A photo of the caller is shown, with the spoken text next to it. It takes a lot less room on screen than the first games.

As far as i could see, the text doesnt hold your hand, but is very similar to the original games.

Yeah, that is a lot like Deus Ex, with Alex Jacobson telling you about a possible side entrance to the statue.

jordan_a
26th Aug 2010, 11:32
If no more questions we should lock. :)

mus42
26th Aug 2010, 14:42
Q) Did anyone take photos or video at the GC? ;)

JCpies
26th Aug 2010, 17:50
If no more questions we should lock. :)

Does the game suck?

haha just kidding.

Slack
26th Aug 2010, 18:19
Hey Jordan! Are there some zyme vial or some drug to use?

dda
27th Aug 2010, 03:11
Hi Jordan! Thanks for this infoz thread!

How destructible are the enviroments?

Daeda
27th Aug 2010, 10:19
Hey Jordan! Are there some zyme vial or some drug to use?

Didn't see any. Nor any liquor

Hi Jordan! Thanks for this infoz thread!

How destructible are the enviroments?

Actually I'm Gijs ;) But to answer your question, I didnt see any destruction of the environment.

Does the game suck?

haha just kidding.

Yes it does suck loads. J/k ;)

JCpies
27th Aug 2010, 11:35
Yes it does suck loads. J/k ;)

Good to hear.