PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Gamescom, seen the footage...

ZakKa89
19th Aug 2010, 17:45
O man it was basically just half of the e3 demo. Only the docks, no Hive. It was also played on the PS3.

Even worse, I had to watch 3 other trailers of games I have zero interest in.

I was soo disappointed, I expected some fresh gameplay or at least the FULL e3 demo. I had to wait in line 2 times :/ (first time the room was full)
I also saw Portal 2, which was awesome! They showed new gameplay and even gave me a free t-shirt!

If you have any questions I will answer them but nothing new has been shown.

EDIT: To be clear, I am not disappointed in the game. I love it. I am dissapointed in the short footage. I need more!

Ilves
19th Aug 2010, 17:47
Impressions on graphics and overall technical performance, please. :) Don't mean to sound superficial with that one, but I very much believe depth of gameplay is up to the gamer in charge, so demos really don't tell me that much. I am however very curious as to how the PS3 manages to handle the game.

And thanks for taking the time, obviously.

luminar
19th Aug 2010, 17:48
O man it was basically just half of the e3 demo. Only the docks, no Hive. It was also played on the PS3.

Even worse, I had to watch 3 other trailers of games I have zero interest in.

I was soo disappointed, I expected some fresh gameplay or at least the FULL e3 demo. I had to wait in line 2 times :/ (first time the room was full)
I also saw Portal 2, which was awesome! They showed new gameplay and even gave me a free t-shirt!

If you have any questions I will answer them but nothing new has been shown.

That sucks but its not unexpected. Jeez free tshirts? EM oughta give us something like that. Like a cool HR flashlight.

Unstoppable
19th Aug 2010, 17:50
You should of wrote what you saw and what you liked and didn't like instead of just saying you got back from Gamescom and was dissapointed.

ZakKa89
19th Aug 2010, 18:02
OK ok sorry guys I am really tired so I wrote a quick post. It was a 3 hour drive from where I live. I will post my impressions now.

Overall I love the game and what Eidos is doing with it. Takedown animations look slick, and the switching between third-person and first-person is done well in my opinion

-Graphically it looks good, but some textures look bland (1 color and not a lot of details). The takedown animations look good but the framerate drops a little bit sometimes. This is no surprise because I notice this with lots of ps3 games myself. The physics/death animations seem pretty awesome. After a bad guy was shot in his head with the pistol he first stumbled a bit, and then fell on the ground. Looked realistic and slightly better than in the e3 demo.

-I loved the sounds. The guns sound really good.

The reason i was dissapointed was because the footage was too short. They only showed the dock scene which only had action. Also, I've already seen that stuff. I was also dissapointed that they let me watch 3 trailers of stupid games I'm not interested in. So I am not dissapointed in the game, sorry for the misunderstanding. I am still as hyped as I was before, but I really wanted to see some new stuff.

Really guys, the demo was waaay too short : (

EDIT: I noticed there is a lot of work done in the facial animation off Barret. It isn't as good as ME2 or HL2, but it's there and I like it : )

luminar
19th Aug 2010, 18:10
OK ok sorry guys I am really tired so I wrote up a quick post. It was a 3 hour drive from where I live. I will post my impressions now.

Overall I love the game and what Eidos is doing with it. Takedown animations look slick, and the switching between third-person and first-person is done well in my opinion

-Graphically it looks good, but some textures look bland (1 color and not a lot of details). The takedown animations look good but the framerate drops a little bit sometimes. This is no surprise because I notice this with lots of ps3 games myself. The physics/death animations seem pretty awesome. After a bad guy was shot in his head with the pistol he first stumbled a bit, and then fell on the ground. Looked realistic and slightly better than in the e3 demo.

-I loved the sounds. The guns sound really good.

The reason i was dissapointed was because the footage was too short. They only showed the dock scene which only had action. Also, I've already seen that stuff. I was also dissapointed that they let me watch 3 trailers of stupid games I'm not interested in. So I am not dissapointed in the game, sorry for the misunderstanding. I am still as hyped as I was before, but I really wanted to see some new stuff.

Really guys, the demo was waaay too short : (

EDIT: I noticed there is a lot of work done in the facial animation off Barret. It isn't as good as ME2 or HL2, but it's there and I like it : )

Was it a true demo or did it look edited?

Kodaemon
19th Aug 2010, 18:11
should of

God I hate that. It's "should have" or "should've". How would "should of" even work? :mad2:

luminar
19th Aug 2010, 18:14
God I hate that. It's "should have" or "should've". How would "should of" even work? :mad2:

Is it really that big of a deal? I mean just let it slide man, sometimes things are worth it and others its no big deal.

Kodaemon
19th Aug 2010, 18:17
Just mein inner grammar nazi showing.

K^2
19th Aug 2010, 18:17
It is a big deal. It makes both Kodaemon and myself go :mad2:, and our heads are very valuable.

Pretentious Old Man.
19th Aug 2010, 18:20
Zis sounds sehr disappointing, mein commandant. I zink ze Fuhrer will not be pleased vhen I tell him...

(hatches evil plan for hitler video)

Kodaemon
19th Aug 2010, 18:21
Also "to make ends meat". That's a big deal too.

pringlepower
19th Aug 2010, 18:22
Just mein inner grammar nazi showing.

The man who cannot spell laziness. I WILL NEVER LET THAT GO!!!

Ashpolt
19th Aug 2010, 18:23
So it was only the action portion of the E3 demo, not even the exploration part?

Kind of glad I didn't go to Gamescom now.

K^2
19th Aug 2010, 18:23
The man who cannot spell laziness. I WILL NEVER LET THAT GO!!!
He's a grammar nazi. Not a spelling nazi. Learn the difference.

- This message is brought to you by semantics nazi union.

Dr_Bob
19th Aug 2010, 18:27
Wowee, a free Portal 2 t-shirt!

Envy...

ZakKa89
19th Aug 2010, 18:37
Was it a true demo or did it look edited?

It was played on the ps3 by somebody. Definitely not edited.

Wowee, a free Portal 2 t-shirt!

Envy...

Actually, I 'accidentally' got 2, but don't tell anyone :cool:

Dr_Bob
19th Aug 2010, 18:48
Actually, I 'accidentally' got 2, but don't tell anyone :cool:

:mad2:

KSingh77
19th Aug 2010, 19:58
Okay I won't tell anyone.

Pinky_Powers
19th Aug 2010, 20:44
I could really use a Portal shirt... just saying.

Badmaker
19th Aug 2010, 20:48
no vids yet ? :|

Fluffis
19th Aug 2010, 21:24
I could really use a Portal shirt... just saying.

I could really use a Portal...

Pinky_Powers
19th Aug 2010, 21:25
I could really use a Portal...

Just one? :eek:

Fluffis
19th Aug 2010, 21:32
Just one? :eek:

Yeah. If I'd have several, then sooner or later I would be running into myself. And I don't think I'd like that guy very much.

Pinky_Powers
19th Aug 2010, 21:38
Then how the devil will you know where you'll come out at? With only one portal, it's not so much a portal at all, as a gateway to oblivion. And not the fun oblivion, with old scrolls and swordy adventures. I'm talking nothingness.

Pretentious Old Man.
19th Aug 2010, 21:40
Also "to make ends meat". That's a big deal too.

As is the mother of them all: "tow the line". Argh.

Kodaemon
19th Aug 2010, 22:12
Not to mention "here, here".

WildcatPhoenix
19th Aug 2010, 22:13

Gack! I always screw this one up.

*raises hand* Guilty, your honor.

MaxxQ1
20th Aug 2010, 06:29

We should learn to except the affects of the whether when it effects outdoor plans, accept when the sun is shining.

Gordon_Shea
20th Aug 2010, 07:28
I'm sorry. Unnecessary apostrophes and people who think that you drop the s when indicating possession if the name ends in s have that all beat because it's literally taught in schools. :(

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 07:36
I'm sorry. Unnecessary apostrophes and people who think that you drop the s when indicating possession if the name ends in s have that all beat because it's literally taught in schools. :(

You mean like "Elvis' grim and beautiful guitar solo"?

Are you saying that's right or wrong? Because I learned that from reading a lot, not because a teacher told me.

Gordon_Shea
20th Aug 2010, 07:41
You mean like "Elvis' grim and beautiful guitar solo"?

Are you saying that's right or wrong? Because I learned that from reading a lot, not because a teacher told me.

As I recall, Elvis's is correct because you say Elvis's which sounds similar to the plural and not Elvis' which drops the second S entirely.

However dropping the second S when writing is taught in a lot of schools. It's one of the big things freshmen in the humantnies get dinged for when it comes to essay writing.

e: Like a lot of things, IE Using apostrophes to pluralize, it shows up a lot even in 'official' writing because it's taught in schools and a lot of post-secondary level education programs don't put a big focus on that kind of thing in writing.

avenging_teabag
20th Aug 2010, 07:47
I now feel compelled to post this:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/gallery/silly/bob's_guide_to_the_apostrophe.jpg

Irate_Iguana
20th Aug 2010, 09:57

Not as annoying as "don't be so paranoia". That one makes me want to kick people in the groin.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 13:28
Not as annoying as "don't be so paranoia". That one makes me want to kick people in the groin.

I've never heard that one in all my 49 years. That would annoy me greatly, however.

And yes, Pinky, it's Elvis's or Jesus's, not Elvis' and Jesus'. That would imply that there is more than one Elvis, or more than one Jesus.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 13:44
And yes, Pinky, it's Elvis's or Jesus's, not Elvis' and Jesus'. That would imply that there is more than one Elvis, or more than one Jesus.

Well, f**k me. Suddenly the world doesn't seem so bright. :(

ThePrecursor
20th Aug 2010, 14:10
In the Dutch language we use only an apostrophe after a word ending with an s-sound (e.g. Max', Elvis') to indicate possession. I'm not familiar with such rules in the English language, but using only an apostrophe instead of and apostrophe followed by an "s" has always seemed natural to me in English.

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 15:09
but using only an apostrophe instead of and apostrophe followed by an "s" has always seemed natural to me in English.

Me too. Jellytits's just looks silly.

Kodaemon
20th Aug 2010, 15:51
Agreed. The contraction to s' is just neater looking.

More pet peeves: "that's bazaar", "could care less".

MaxxQ1
20th Aug 2010, 16:17
there/their/they're

for all intensive purposes

Cronstintein
20th Aug 2010, 16:41
How did this turn into a grammar thread?
False advertising, boooo!

xsamitt
20th Aug 2010, 17:07
Lockdown

Irate_Iguana
20th Aug 2010, 17:12
Lockdown

Or they could move the OT posts into a separate thread in the Hive. Their tools for moderation should allow this.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 17:57
If it weren't such a redundant thread anyway, then yes that might work. However, it is, so why not keep it as is?

And yes, could care less bugs me too.

Also, when Americans say "Liberal" meaning left-winger, I could scream.

pringlepower
20th Aug 2010, 18:00
If it weren't such a redundant thread anyway, then yes that might work. However, it is, so why not keep it as is?

And yes, could care less bugs me too.

Also, when Americans say "Liberal" meaning left-winger, I could scream.

Well that's true in America, and Canada, if you don't count the NDP.

KSingh77
20th Aug 2010, 18:14
Liberal liberal

scream now

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 18:14
Nothing bothers me so much as a scroll of words, with no periods and few commas, and grammatically broken sentences that run together. Why waste your time writing something if you don't care whether or not folk can read it?

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Aug 2010, 18:32
Liberal liberal

scream now

You're witty.

Gordon_Shea
20th Aug 2010, 18:49
Me too. Jellytits's just looks silly.
That's why a lot of places teach s'. s's looks cluttered and weird on a page even though it's a more accurate rendering of the way it's said.

Also Lol @ the idea of the liberals having any agenda other than copying NDP initiatives and desperately trying to convince themselves at they're the natural ruling party of Canada.

Dr_Bob
20th Aug 2010, 19:40
"Hi Guys,This Is My First Frag Movie So Don ´t Judge Me!Hope You Guys Enjoy It,I Love Huntsman And I Love tf2

The Song Is Propan Nightmares By Pendulm"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNRXDhJj7gQ

Pinky_Powers
20th Aug 2010, 19:52
"Hi Guys,This Is My First Frag Movie So Don ´t Judge Me!Hope You Guys Enjoy It,I Love Huntsman And I Love tf2

The Song Is Propan Nightmares By Pendulm"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNRXDhJj7gQ
Pendulum Nightmares is a sic song.

ZakKa89
20th Aug 2010, 23:59
What the hell happened to my topic lol,

No idea what you guys are talking about ;p

pringlepower
21st Aug 2010, 02:04
What the hell happened to my topic lol,

No idea what you guys are talking about ;p

That's good. Plenty of on-topic threads go into flaming. Nothing wrong with proper grammar.

Invictus Sol
21st Aug 2010, 03:51

Well, I think there's room for disagreement here. I personally really like dropping the second "s" as I understand the apostrophe to indicate possessiveness (e.g., Elvis' guitar) and it just seems redundant and visually sloppy.