PDA

View Full Version : Stealth

Xenoc
18th Aug 2010, 16:29
Just wondering if we will be able to stealth the entire game aside from scripted events or boss encounters? I mean it was possible in DX1, so will EM keep this or will they succumb to the COD shooter types just because its supposedly the new thing for gaming?

I mean if I have the option I will always go with the shadows...

What do you guys think?

Shralla
18th Aug 2010, 17:13
Yes you can stealth the whole game. That much was said months ago.

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 19:55
Yes, you can be sneaky teaky from start to finish. But who would want to when you can ride round on Adam's Segway, firing missiles at all the savage natives?

Fluffis
18th Aug 2010, 19:57
Yes, you can be sneaky teaky from start to finish. But who would want to when you can ride round on Adam's Segway, firing missiles at all the savage natives?

Make it an augmentation skateboard, and I'm there.

Ashpolt
18th Aug 2010, 20:09
Yes, you can apparently play stealthily, but...

I mean if I have the option I will always go with the shadows...

...you won't be hiding in the shadows, because shadow stealth is out. It's solely based on line of sight and sound propogation now.

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 20:23
...you won't be hiding in the shadows, because shadow stealth is out. It's solely based on line of sight and sound propogation now.

Don't forget smell. Proper hygiene plays a powerful role in this queer ninja's life. It's way Adam wears that huge leather coat; any keen-snouted foe will perceive only shadowy bovine phantoms prowling the facility.

pringlepower
18th Aug 2010, 20:25
Don't forget smell. Proper hygiene plays a powerful role in this queer ninja's life. It's way Adam wears that huge leather coat; any keen-snouted foe will perceive only shadowy bovine phantoms prowling the facility.

It's simple: pheromone excretion (augmented armpits)

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 20:30
It's simple: pheromone excretion (augmented armpits)

Jesus god! But what should he attract, and why? I suppose Deus Ex was indeed lacking a proper example of Antlion husbandry.

Fluffis
18th Aug 2010, 23:05
Jesus god! But what should he attract, and why? I suppose Deus Ex was indeed lacking a proper example of Antlion husbandry.

B-EEs of course.

pringlepower
18th Aug 2010, 23:08

See the awesome Old Spice guy smelled nice. If Adam smells nice, his enemies will die of sheer awesome.

Jerion
18th Aug 2010, 23:13
Also, there's a super secret stealth aug. It lulls your enemies into lowering their guard by speaking to them in the soothing tones of Morgan Freeman.

http://www.theoccidentalobserver.net/authors/MorganFreeman.jpg

Rindill the Red
19th Aug 2010, 03:48

Black Ops Commando: "Hey!!!"

*Jensen quickly scurries down wind.*

Black Ops Commando: "Thought I smelt someone... cigarette smoke, whiskey, and machine oil."

Isterio
19th Aug 2010, 04:14
Will there be some kind of augmentation for sneaking? Like some kind of light field around you, which imitates the surronding and consumes energy each second? Or can you maybe skill "stealth"?

It would be so extremely boring playing it splinter cell style. Especially without any shadows. [hide behind plant - pee on plant, until guard is around the corner - hide behind bookshelf ...]

Even though I liked "dark thief/ dark project / thief" or whatever it was called, I'm no longer so patient to remember each guards rounds. Sometimes I prefer using the cloaking device and just keep going to the target destination or sneaky peaky killing the guards without triggering the alarm.

But if stealth sucks, I'm also going to play/skill Rambo. :(

Jerion
19th Aug 2010, 04:20
Will there be some kind of augmentation for sneaking? Like some kind of light field around you, which imitates the surronding and consumes energy each second? Or can you maybe skill "stealth"?

It would be so extremely boring playing it splinter cell style. Especially without any shadows. [hide behind plant - pee on plant, until guard is around the corner - hide behind bookshelf ...]

Even though I liked "dark thief/ dark project / thief" or whatever it was called, I'm no longer so patient to remember each guards rounds. Sometimes I prefer using the cloaking device and just keep going to the target destination or sneaky peaky killing the guards without triggering the alarm.

But if stealth sucks, I'm also going to play/skill Rambo. :(

There will be sneaking augs. For example there's the cloak aug that EM likes showing off, and then there's the silenced variant of the Icarus Landing System where longer drops and falls make virtually no sound.

Cronstintein
19th Aug 2010, 07:50
I'm more worried about it being too easy with cloak.
With enough energy you could just invisi-run through the whole level.

Dagganoth
19th Aug 2010, 07:55
you could in the first one but who wants to play it that way its dull sneeking without cloak is the way to go

Red
19th Aug 2010, 07:59
Well, I think it goes without saying that moving while cloaked will drain significantly more energy. If not, you know, that would really suck.

Xenoc
19th Aug 2010, 08:25

I am aware of the line of sight as it was in DX1, although not very well implemented...

Isterio
19th Aug 2010, 09:29
There will be sneaking augs. For example there's the cloak aug that EM likes showing off, and then there's the silenced variant of the Icarus Landing System where longer drops and falls make virtually no sound.

I try not to watch the ingame footage. I hate it, if I know big parts of a game, before I actually play it.

But good news! I'm a huge fan of this stuff. Of course you should only be able to use it for max 15 seconds. The rest you should do with regular sneeking. It's just very handy, if there are 3 bots and you have to get to the other side. Or if you want to finish someone or something off by going to close combat.

But I'm concerned about the missing shadows. What, if you are 30 meters away and there is no light? Can the guards see you or not? and then if you are right in front of the guy, but behind a small wall, he won't notice you, even if the light is extremely bright?

Pinky_Powers
19th Aug 2010, 12:39
I try not to watch the ingame footage. I hate it, if I know big parts of a game, before I actually play it.

You consider gameplay mechanics spoilers? :)

Fluffis
19th Aug 2010, 12:58
But I'm concerned about the missing shadows. What, if you are 30 meters away and there is no light? Can the guards see you or not? and then if you are right in front of the guy, but behind a small wall, he won't notice you, even if the light is extremely bright?

That sort of thing, they could get around by simply saying that all guards etc wear night-vision goggles or something.

But I think it is overly dramatic to say that shadow stealth is "out". I think it is most likely in there, but it's been significantly reduced in importance, due to the cover-stealth system.

DeusWhatever
19th Aug 2010, 13:02
But I think it is overly dramatic to say that shadow stealth is "out". I think it is most likely in there, but it's been significantly reduced in importance, due to the cover-stealth system.

As far as i know its about the engine and about how complex it would be to integrate the shadow-aspect and about the performance costs at least i think i read that somewhere.

Fluffis
19th Aug 2010, 13:18
As far as i know its about the engine and about how complex it would be to integrate the shadow-aspect and about the performance costs at least i think i read that somewhere.

If they remove the shadow-stealth component completely, they may as well flood all the levels with light. If shadows turn out to be just decorative, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Xenoc
19th Aug 2010, 13:21
If they remove the shadow-stealth component completely, they may as well flood all the levels with light. If shadows turn out to be just decorative, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Agreed, whats the use of having shadows in game and not implementing the use of them through stealth?

JCpies
19th Aug 2010, 20:11

Reminds me of (D)evolution!

Xenoc
20th Aug 2010, 09:10
reminds me of (d)evolution!

lol :d