PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: HR and Crysis 2....

Human
17th Aug 2010, 21:29
Note: Although this is not intended as a "vs" thread, I wouldn't mind if it ended up as such. Feel free to rip on the comparison or bash it. Seems like this forum needs a new topic/more action nowadays.

Having been closely following both games, I'm amazed that many similarities have popped up between the two. I have been even more bewildered when I realized that Crysis 2 will incorportate a LOT of things that the original "die-hard" DX fans wanted in DX3.

Crysis 2 features:
First Person Perspective (FPP) only
Melee is in FPP. You get to see your arms/feet.
Lean is included of course.
"Nanosuit 2" is very similar to Augmentations (you can cloak, increase you power, etc). Nanosuit 2 can be upgraded along the campaign to suit your playing style (just like installing Augs).
Customized weaponary (install scopes/suppressors/GLs/different ammo onto weapons)
New York setting (big pluses if you are familiar with the area)
Superior AI
Superior graphics
Confirmation that PC is the leading platform (exclusive features such as DX11 is only on PC, etc).
Many ways to complete a mission/high replayability.
Vehicle Driving may be included (wasn't a highlight in the first game, but it's better than nothing).
IHMO, a great short emotional trailer ("The Wall" for those that haven't seen it yet).
Vastly improved storyline (I didn't care for the first one at all).
Multiplayer will be implemented, but I didn't find much info on it.
Both share the Auto Heal mechanic (no med packs).
Demo will most likely be coming out.

DXHR will most likely have a better story, soundtrack, and of course you have the ability to change the storyline, but DX:HR + Crysis 2 would make one hell of a game! Both are being released around the same time (early 2011), but it seems like Crysis 2 is staying more true to the original DX in terms of FPS features (it's not an RPG after all) and I am rather pleased that the devs never really disappointed me in terms of the added features from the first game (unlike ____ :D). Everything seems like well thought out, big improvements. I'll most likely be getting both games but was wondering if any of you guys noticed Crysis 2 or that you believe that story/plot is still paramount on your game buying decision. It looks like the GOTY is going to be well fought for this time around.

Ashbery76
17th Aug 2010, 21:54
Is this a joke? Crysis is just a dumb FPS.

pringlepower
17th Aug 2010, 22:05
Is this a farce? Deus Ex is just derivative bullcrap.

Angel-A
17th Aug 2010, 22:33
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/Starsiege_/f915a7cb.jpg

xsamitt
18th Aug 2010, 00:16

I agree with this....But he/she did make some interesting observations.Notice the attempt to stay politically correct.Now that's something that doesn't happen every day.

DeusWhatever
18th Aug 2010, 01:16
Kind of funn, im pretty shure Crysis 2 doesnt have PC as leading plattform, just look at the graphics, Crysis 2 will be the first game that looks worst than its predecessor, which is pretty screwed up if you think about it, since the only reason people bought crysis was for the graphics ...

And so its pretty clear that pc isnt the leadplattform, implementing some random new DX-Features isnt alot of work just look at mods like "ENB-Series". Also it wouldnt work, if you made everymodel and texture and model for the pc first you would have a pretty hard time to get the game running on the 4 year old hardware of consoles. So obviously they make everything for the console first and then redo some textures and add effects.

But im pretty shure crysis 2 will fail hard, they ve given up their only strengh -> graphics ...

biofuel
18th Aug 2010, 01:39

Is this a joke? Human Revolution is just a dumb FPS.

pha
18th Aug 2010, 02:17
Using DX11 doesn't make PC the leading platform of Crysis 2, according to the recent Eurogamer interview DX:HR will use it too.

Gameplay-wise I don't expect Crytek to screw up the PC version, it'll have lean keys as you said, which is already a great sign by itself (yeah I'm THAT desperate, but can you blame me?), and I'm sure they'll test their darn game unlike 95% of the market so that we won't have to rely on command consoles, ini editing or third party fixes for basic stuff like disabling auto aim or mouse acceleration. To be nitpicky, there's one gameplay compromise I've noticed. AFAIK they are streamlining the armor modes of the new Nanosuit, combining or removing some of them, probably to make them quickly selectable with a gamepad.

And graphics-wise, they must be downright stupid to release a final product (again, on PC) which looks worse than Crysis 1 and Warhead.

Is this a joke? Human Revolution is just a dumb FPS.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/7377/rockyhappy.gif

Jerion
18th Aug 2010, 02:29
To be nitpicky, there's one gameplay compromise I've noticed. AFAIK they are streamlining the armor modes of the new Nanosuit, combining or removing some of them, probably to make them quickly selectable with a gamepad.

Huh? Having all the functions of the nanosuit rapidly accessible (as from a joystick) was how it was done in the first game too. They do seem to be altering the functionality a bit though, changing it up. Maybe that's to make MP less crappy, who knows.

pha
18th Aug 2010, 02:47
I'll take your word for it.

It's been long time, but when I was reading my first C2 article I think there was a part about them combining and rebalancing nanosuit mods to lower their number, and the first thing that came to my mind was "they are trying to fit them on a gamepad". Maybe I remember wrong, or there was a translation error.

pringlepower
18th Aug 2010, 02:52
It's got lower system requirements than Crysis. I like that.

Jerion
18th Aug 2010, 02:59
It's got lower system requirements than Crysis. I like that.

Better max graphics, lower SysReqs. Win-Win. :)

EDIT: In regard to a blend of DX and Crysis, I just want to be able to mount a sniper scope on my shotty. Just 'cause. :D

Unstoppable
18th Aug 2010, 04:57
Well for one Deus Ex: HR has a way better storyline. Crysis 2 is looking very generic at least the multiplayer is. There is nothing that says Crysis 2 is a must play game. At this point it looks like a very slow shooter and playing exactly like the first one.

With Deus Ex: HR on the other hand you have new things being brought to the table like third person and a cover system. It simply isn't the same game with better graphics which is a good thing. Plus the art style is something unique which Crysis 2 simply does not have.

People have a better idea in general what Deus Ex: HR is about. It is about 2027 when technology is greatly advancing. It is about Adam Jensen and him trying to unravel a conspiracy while trying to find people he loves.

Crysis 2 is about the aliens coming to New York and you do get to play as the same person "Nomad". Beyond that not much has been said about the storyline via trailers. It is more cryptic and that isn't necessarily a good thing.

If I had my choice I'd go with Deus Ex: HR. People know more about it and it has a way mor einteresting look and feel to it. This is an objective view about the two games.

Deus EX: HR excites me Crysis 2 I'm interested but not too excited.

PlasmaSnake101
18th Aug 2010, 05:01
With Deus Ex: HR on the other hand you have new things being brought to the table like third person and a cover system. It simply isn't the same game with better graphics which is a good thing. Plus the art style is something unique which Crysis 2 simply does not have.

Ah...sarcasm. "For what profit is it to a man if he gains the world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26, I believe.

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 05:07
I'm looking forward to Crysis 2, as it should be a top-shelf shooter with good stealth.

Deus Ex - Human Revolution is mostly a RPG, with story and characters taking a front row. This ignites a lust in me that Crysis never could.

Postscript.
That was a good bit in information on Crysis 2 I hadn't seen before. So I thank you, Human.

rokstrombo
18th Aug 2010, 06:17
It's too bad that Deus Ex: HR may have to go up against Crysis 2, because HR is looking like a far more interesting game to me.

I found Crysis to be a bit of a grind. The player character was too powerful, and there were far too many enemies. The destructable environments were interesting, but interactivity with the game world was restricted mainly to killing. The player's reward for a stealthy, tactical approach was often the spawning of a large enemy patrol less than 100m away. This was fun for a while, but the kill count often approached 200 per chapter.

As great as post-invasion New York City looks in Crysis 2, there doesn't seem to be a lot of scope for the player to use this setting as anything but an arena for repeatedly shooting and blowing stuff up. Whatever mood that is created by such a setting will probably be lost as the player character storms through the levels at 60 km/h, dodging exploding helicopters, and slaughtering thousands of guys in the quest to reach another checkpoint and choke down some more clich├ęd mercenary banter.

I think I'll give it a miss!

rhalibus
18th Aug 2010, 07:53
Crysis had great graphics, a great physics engine, and I actually got tired of playing it because of its monotonous gameplay.

"The Next Mod"--a mod for Deus Ex--was created on a ten-year-old Unreal 1 engine, and I'm riveted to it--I can't stop playing it. It's all about the gameplay, multiple options, and complexity. :)

maddermadcat
18th Aug 2010, 07:57
I've been told that Crysis is actually fun, challenging and more tactical on higher difficulty levels. I feel like I should give Crysis 2 a try, personally.

(this post brought to you by Crytek GmbH)

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 08:11
I still replay Crysis and Warhead on a fairly regular basis. There's just something about the gameplay before the aliens show up... it's damn fun.

Shadowdagger
18th Aug 2010, 08:14
Crysis 2? Meh, Crysis is the type of games today I hate: it's all about graphics! Though, I heard that the sequel has worser graphics than the first game *facepalm*.
The story is very... well, generic (typical shallow humans vs. aliens storyline).

DX: HR wins big time, imho.

ZakKa89
18th Aug 2010, 08:41
Crysis 2 doesn't look nearly as good as the first game.

I didn't like the first game at all (boring gameplay/story), not so sure why I should be in the second.

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 08:44
Though, I heard that the sequel has worser graphics than the first game

That's just what morons say because they see City instead of Jungle, and they don't understand what computer graphic technology really is.

The truth is, Crysis 2 will top the first by a significant margin. ...the PC version at least. :)

mad825
18th Aug 2010, 11:58
That's just what morons say because they see City instead of Jungle, and they don't understand what computer graphic technology really is.

The truth is, Crysis 2 will top the first by a significant margin. ...the PC version at least. :)

They claim that it's going to have "the best graphics ever" however if it just another PC port which is very likely as they have now lost their faith in PC gaming, it isn't going to be as "good" as it could be.

Dr_Bob
18th Aug 2010, 12:15
They claim that it's going to have "the best graphics ever" however if it just another PC port which is very likely as they have now lost their faith in PC gaming, it isn't going to be as "good" as it could be.

You sound like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

DeusWhatever
18th Aug 2010, 12:18

Lol, sry but your wrong, how is a console port going too look better than a dedicated PC-Game ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRWRskYLdno&feature=player_embedded

mad825
18th Aug 2010, 12:23
You sound like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Like what,Dr? it's fairly obvious that there is only soo much that can be done with hardware limitations

Xenoc
18th Aug 2010, 16:16
Crysis looked great and was half decent till they introduced the aliens???

Aside from that Crysis doesnt have anything on DX1, but as for DXHR we will have to wait and see more gameplay?

Jerion
18th Aug 2010, 16:45

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/crysis-cryengine-screenshots-trailer-crysis-2,10197.html

pringlepower
18th Aug 2010, 16:48

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/crysis-cryengine-screenshots-trailer-crysis-2,10197.html

Never has an augmented ass looked so fine.

DeusWhatever
18th Aug 2010, 18:36

Well no one doubted that, still if you make models and textures for the console, you will obviously not use the capacity of modern pcs. The fact that it looks best on pc would even be true if everything was identical due to the higher resolutions, aa, af and new DX-Effects that can be simply integrated in most games.

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 18:54
Well no one doubted that, still if you make models and textures for the console, you will obviously not use the capacity of modern pcs. The fact that it looks best on pc would even be true if everything was identical due to the higher resolutions, aa, af and new DX-Effects that can be simply integrated in most games.

You need to stop talking. You sound dumber with every post. None of your concerns, or even any of your thoughts, apply to Crysis 2.

DeusWhatever
18th Aug 2010, 19:07
You need to stop talking. You sound dumber with every post. None of your concerns, or even any of your thoughts, apply to Crysis 2.

Too keep the argument on your level, no you are dumb ...

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 19:28
Why you gotta make me hit you, baby?

I won't deny, it angers me that people hear "multi-platform" and lose all sense of reason. Crysis 2 PC is not a port. Simple as. It's textures will be created large and then shrunk accordingly to the different platforms. Crysis 2 will have every graphical facet that the first Crysis had, and more. CryEngine3 was built around DirectX11. But it is downgradable to DX9 Consoles.

Get your head out of your ass.

Ashbery76
18th Aug 2010, 19:34
Why you gotta make me hit you, baby?

I won't deny, it angers me that people hear "multi-platform" and lose all sense of reason. Crysis 2 PC is not a port. Simple as. It's textures will be created large and then shrunk accordingly to the different platforms. Crysis 2 will have every graphical facet that the first Crysis had, and more. CryEngine3 was built around DirectX11. But it is downgradable to DX9 Consoles.

Get your head out of your ass.

It will not have a massive island with a huge LOS like Crysis1 for a start.

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 19:43
It will not have a massive island with a huge LOS like Crysis1 for a start.

I'm sure we'll be graced with an extensive tour in Central Park. ;)

Khaeru
22nd Aug 2010, 09:46
@human depends on which platform you want to play: if consoles, go for DEHR. Playing a fps on console is pointless, and crysis is one of those games with awesome graphics you will never see on the ps3. Cevat Yerly admitted himself, crytek just can't reproduce the same jungle from the first crysis on consoles. The cryengine 2 vs Cryengine 3 vid explains everything well. Also, the inferior console's control system makes the game pretty boring as you can see from the demo.
Now, if you are playing on pc it's hard to answer: assuming they will be both good for pc, i suggest you to wait for those games and then decide.

Blackbird SR-71C
22nd Aug 2010, 13:09
Deus Ex is more centered around the story and the various characters; Also, you will be able to choose completing at least some missions by talking only, as well as hacking various electronic devices (doors,cameras,turrets)

Crysis 2 focuses more on the action-aspect of the different ways of completing an objective; It also always requires you to terminate your target; while you can sneak past enemies along the way (I'm sure of it), you can neither stun them nor evade/stun the primary target.

Though, I have to say I'm really curious as to which game will have the better AI. Will Crysis 2 finally feature somewhat intelligent AI?

Khaeru
22nd Aug 2010, 13:16
Though, I have to say I'm really curious as to which game will have the better AI. Will Crysis 2 finally feature somewhat intelligent AI?

doesnt matter where i look, bots are good to take cover/take cover near something explosive/miss you. Maybe crytek will think about AI issues...on the pc version

Blackbird SR-71C
22nd Aug 2010, 14:29
doesnt matter where i look, bots are good to take cover/take cover near something explosive/miss you. Maybe crytek will think about AI issues...on the pc version

Well, here's the most common flaws of enemy AI:
- Enemies have either spot on accuracy and never miss, or p*ss poor accuracy and never hit
- Enemies not acting like a team
- Enemies not taking cover/taking cover near environmental hazards (explosive containers etc.)
- Enemies have either inhumanly good vision (seeing you in the dark from miles away) or don't see you even when your shooting them in the face
- Enemies can track shots from miles away, or don't even react to shots
- Enemies only using their gun; no equipment or abilities
- Enemies acting flat-out weird: Example: You shoot someone, a soldier comes to investigate, sees the body...and then continues his regular duty as if nothing ever happened; The opposite can be true here as well, though: Enemy sees the tiniest bit of your coat sticking out of cover; instantly the alarm goes off and you are swarmed by enemies without them ever communicating or reporting what they saw

These are just the most common though.

DeusWhatever
22nd Aug 2010, 14:32

I think the main problem are consoles. The Whack-a-mole-System seems to work very well on consoles since i guess it would get really hard with fast moving enemys flanking you since you cant react as fast as with your mouse. And i think this concept gets pretty clear if you look at new consoles-Shooters, enemies always seem to stay on a perfect straight path to the player so aiming gets easier, or they even just go to the next existing cover and the whack-a-mole game starts ...

And i'm pretty shure its also much cheaper to programm some "Pseudo-AI-routines" than to program a real good "real" AI (which also often will include lots of bugs).

Khaeru
22nd Aug 2010, 15:03
I think the main problem are consoles.
maybe once, now the blame goes to casual gamers which obviously have less time to spend playing games.Too much life :D. Watching the leaked gameplay i' ve never seen adam getting hit... and enemy's actions were predictable while the infiltration part looked retarted to me, because of the cover system. Also, there are little things like sparkles which sometimes appear while adam is punching someone or smashing walls... which doesnt make sense at all (it's metal beating meat, where's the blood?) but it's "cool".See how things are aimed to please some gamers. Still, i've read devs promise to make the game fast paced... plus i may like hacker skills and physical augmentations so everything is all right lol. I wonder if i can complete the game barehanded...i'd love it....

nathanj
22nd Aug 2010, 21:13
to be honest im not holding out much faith for either game. im glad that the cover system for deus ex is optional (you have to press a button to use it) but looking at the last trailer over half of the gameplay footage was third person. they even had third person when shooting that dart gun thing...WTF. deus ex is not a third person game. i have a feeling this is going to be another IW where they listen to "game designers" and ignore the actualy players.

crysis looked good but i had more fun with and thought that farcry 2 looked better....although it lacked the physics.

pringlepower
22nd Aug 2010, 21:35
to be honest im not holding out much faith for either game. im glad that the cover system for deus ex is optional (you have to press a button to use it) but looking at the last trailer over half of the gameplay footage was third person. they even had third person when shooting that dart gun thing...WTF. deus ex is not a third person game. i have a feeling this is going to be another IW where they listen to "game designers" and ignore the actualy players.

crysis looked good but i had more fun with and thought that farcry 2 looked better....although it lacked the physics.

Press a button for cover.. as opposed to every other game where all walls are magnets and you're a lowly piece of metal?

Well he did go first-person to use the scope...

Badmaker
25th Aug 2010, 17:44
PC POWA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGrMIJirJPY&feature=rec-exp_fresh+div-1r-28-HM)

Too bad crysis 2 is not PC exclusive. Even so, crysis remains the best looking PC game even now.
If crytek got their hands on Deus Ex franchise and would make Deus Ex with Cryengine 2, this game would be the GOTY for 10 years ahead.

xsamitt
25th Aug 2010, 18:13
PC POWA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGrMIJirJPY&feature=rec-exp_fresh+div-1r-28-HM)

Too bad crysis 2 is not PC exclusive. Even so, crysis remains the best looking PC game even now.
If crytek got their hands on Deus Ex franchise and would make Deus Ex with Cryengine 2, this game would be the GOTY for 10 years ahead.

Without a doubt.

Dead-Eye
25th Aug 2010, 18:18
I still replay Crysis and Warhead on a fairly regular basis. There's just something about the gameplay before the aliens show up... it's damn fun.

Funny I always thought the game got better then the aliens showed up. It stopped feeling like I was living some guys Vietnam fantasy and started to feel more like an actual game.

This thread is funny because people are making so much fuss about nothing.

What fun!

Pinky_Powers
25th Aug 2010, 19:15
Funny I always thought the game got better then the aliens showed up. It stopped feeling like I was living some guys Vietnam fantasy and started to feel more like an actual game.

Ugh! Don't be gross.

:(

Ashpolt
25th Aug 2010, 19:31

That video is amazing! I knew the Crysis physics engine was good, but I didn't know it was capable of explosions so massive. I wonder what kind of hardware it would take to run all that in real time?

Also, why do people feel the need to put terrible music over videos of this kind?

Pinky_Powers
25th Aug 2010, 20:05
That video is amazing! I knew the Crysis physics engine was good, but I didn't know it was capable of explosions so massive. I wonder what kind of hardware it would take to run all that in real time?

There's a bunch of rather amazing Crysis physics videos out there. That wasn't even the most impressive one I've seen.

Dead-Eye
25th Aug 2010, 20:33

Also, why do people feel the need to put terrible music over videos of this kind?

I liked the music.