PDA

View Full Version : Gamescom: your questions to the dev team

jordan_a
17th Aug 2010, 11:26
Hey taffers,

I'll be at Gamescom and might have a chance to ask a few questions to the dev team there.

So, post them here. :D Please try not to ask about subjects that have been in recent interviews or spoilers.

You have less than two days. :D

Cheers.

xsamitt
17th Aug 2010, 11:52
In the deluxe version of the game...Will we get a nice French Canadian blow up doll?No Wait, wrong forums.LOL:lmao::lol::D:);):nut::whistle::thumb: :flowers:

ZakKa89
17th Aug 2010, 11:59
Hey taffers,

I'll be at Gamescom and might have a chance to ask a few questions to the dev team there.

So, post them here. :D Please try not to ask about subjects that have been in recent interviews or spoilers.

Cheers.

Ill be there too on thursday, so maybe I can help out with the questions?

mad825
17th Aug 2010, 12:08
I suppose any questions that pop into mind is that "is there going to be a CE of DXHR?" or "are you planning/thinking to make another DX game"

TrickyVein
17th Aug 2010, 12:36
Thanks OP -

My question: What is the minimum number of people you must dispatch in order to advance the plot/finish the game?

This, to my mind, will reveal a couple of things: if it is a very few number of individuals than these may be boss battles, one with Barret for instance. If it is an exact figure, than it means much thought has been put into exactly what people AJ is going to end up having to face, sooner or later. If the figure is higher, or less certain, than it means that AJ will probably be required to more of a gun-toter than has been advertised, with regards to accommodating different playing styles and the breadth of player choice in game.

That's all I can think of for now.

Sabretooth1
17th Aug 2010, 12:38
At this stage of development, what are you most proud of, regarding the game?

Are there going to be any more CG Trailers?

Will it be possible to enjoy the game without using the cover system?

How far along is the UI? What can we know about the UI so far?

Will there be those long, detailed explanations for weapons, ammo, augmentations etc. like in Deus Ex 1?

The whole gold-and-black thing seems to be going to far, judging by the gameplay trailer. Is the whole game literally that gold and black?

Will there really be third-person cutscenes at key moments throughout the game?

What themes other than the whole transhumanism argument are going to be discussed in the game?

Are there augs that forcibly go into 3rd-person-takedown mode when you use them? Can this be disabled?

The perennial question: what cities other than Montreal, Detroit and Shanghai are in the game? Is Philadelphia in, as was hinted earlier?

Conversations involving Adam: first-person or third-person?

Are your conversation responses timed like in Alpha Protocol, The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2?

Any plans for including allusions to art and literature like before? I have yet to see another game that included chapters of a book like 'The Man Who Was Thursday'.

How much reading material will the game have any way? That is including everything - books, newspapers, news terminals, datapads etc. Everything except conversations.

Any plans for what Eidos Montreal intends to do after HR (and besides Thief 4)? Another Deus Ex game, or an original IP? Is Eidos Montreal interested in resurrecting the FPS-RPG genre?

Are there any plans for, or would you be interested in making DLC for Human Revolution?

Red
17th Aug 2010, 13:27
"Have you ever imagined watching yourself pee in the toilet in 3rd person and do you think that'd look cool?"

xsamitt
17th Aug 2010, 13:29
"Have you ever imagined watching yourself pee in the toilet in 3rd person and do you think that'd look cool?"

Congratulations .......You Sir just took Quote of the day.:thumb:

xsamitt
17th Aug 2010, 13:31
In all honestly I for the life of me can't see how all this 3RD person view was ever agreed upon,epically for a DX Title.Please Em....Give us options.

rokstrombo
17th Aug 2010, 14:40
Thanks jordan_a!

I'd like to know about the in-game locations, PC system requirements, which means of DRM that will be used, and if there will be any support for modding.

Pretentious Old Man.
17th Aug 2010, 16:11
"What, if any, concessions to the console audience have you made when designing HR, by comparison to the first Deus Ex?"

Jerion
17th Aug 2010, 16:16
"Does the PC version have a unique HUD?"

WildcatPhoenix
17th Aug 2010, 16:26
I'd like to know...if there will be any support for modding.

This is huge for me. I'm not sure if EM will even have an answer at this point, but it would guarantee my money if they confirmed something like this.

KSingh77
17th Aug 2010, 17:30
Will there be first person melee?

Are you gonna show us a new mission that takes place in a different city?

Like that Detroit Police Department.

xsamitt
17th Aug 2010, 17:32

I hope this gets asked as well.

Shadowdagger
17th Aug 2010, 18:18
Hey taffers,

Cheers.

Ha, cool! I'll be on the Gamescom, too! :D
My friends and I are gonna visit Gamescom on saturday.
I'm looking forward to it! Yay!

Kodaemon
17th Aug 2010, 18:54

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=111279

Jerion
17th Aug 2010, 19:11
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=111279

Doesn't quite answer my question, sorry.

Kodaemon
17th Aug 2010, 19:15
Still living in denial, eh?

pha
17th Aug 2010, 19:24

LOL, good one.

Jerion
17th Aug 2010, 20:23
Still living in denial, eh?

Maybe. It doesn't actually negate the hope though, based on something I was told at the meetup last November (not that I have any idea if it's still applicable).

There will be more Firefly one day too!

:(

Isterio
18th Aug 2010, 02:18
"Will you have a locker to put in AUGS and Weapons, which you can't carry around all the time? Enhanced sniper rifle, rocket launcher, pistol with silencer etc. "

"Is it possible to sell equipment?"

"How many difficulty levels are there?"

"Is it possible to customize the character to certain extends other than just the augmentation? Can we change the colors of the armor? To see yourself in mirrors, 3rd person and cut scenes."

"Will it be possible to win boss fights by sneeking and planting bombs or setting traps and so on or do we always have to shoot them down?"

"Will it be like Splinter Cell? I hate Splinter Cell!"

avenging_teabag
18th Aug 2010, 05:22
- Will we be able to light up in-game?
- Will we be able to blow up doors/crates/lockers with explosives or will it be all hacking all the time?
- If we choose to do a run with no augs beside default ones, will it be a strictly masochistic exercise, or a viable playing option?

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 05:50
There will be more Firefly one day too!

:(

Yes there will. Every morning after I pee, I look into the mirror and say aloud "Firefly is not done with. There shall be more shows and movies". Then I weep silently for fifteen to twenty minutes. Then I begin my day.

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 05:52
- Will we be able to blow up doors/crates/lockers with explosives or will it be all hacking all the time?

I'm certain I remember reading that weaker doors can be blown open.

Cronstintein
18th Aug 2010, 06:25
I hope so, hacking every door is going to get lame REAL fast.

I still think not bringing the lockpick/multitool/door system from DX1 is going to be the biggest mistake of this iteration.

Pinky_Powers
18th Aug 2010, 06:46
I still think not bringing the lockpick/multitool/door system from DX1 is going to be the biggest mistake of this iteration.

You and I are in accord on that.

maddermadcat
18th Aug 2010, 07:51
It seems as though other online communities (ones completely unrelated to DXHR) enjoy a far more visible developer presence. Why is this? To what extent are the developers really involved with the community?

I doubt I'll get a straight answer because of PR and other such bull****, but I'd appreciate some brutal honesty here.

rhalibus
18th Aug 2010, 07:55
I second the question: Can you run around and avoid end bosses like in Deus Ex?

avenging_teabag
18th Aug 2010, 08:03
You couldn't really avoid Navarre or Simons iirc, unless you cheated.

Gordon_Shea
18th Aug 2010, 09:31
I hope someone asks something about where they stand w/r/t cinematic setpiece design versus immersive simulation design. Not that I particularly care since both can totally own, but because I totally love reading about design theory. It really adds something when you're playing the final product because you have, like, an analytical framework you can look at it in terms of.

You and I are in accord on that.

I, for one, am of two minds about it.

I think it's good to cut it on the one hand because from the sounds of things there's no way it would measure up to the complexity they're talking about including for hacking. Putting really simplified mechanics up against more complex ones is always a mistake, especially if they can accomplish the same tasks, is always a mistake. A lockpicking mechanic as tactile as Fallout 3's or intuitive as Deadly Shadows' would feel naked compared to the hacking system since it almost sounds like a simplified version of the LAN Missions from Uplink. Compounding that, you've got the issue of skill economy.

Take DX1. Hacking basically made the resource management redundant because the majority of pickable/hackable doors could also be controlled through a panel, and enough hacking skill to do panels and doors (They were both Level One IIRC) was trivial compared to the cost of maintaining high enough Lockpicking and Electronics skills to make them your primary way of dealing with obstacles. The resource cost of hacking or picking in the few scenarios when you couldn't find a panel to do the same thing was also pretty small considering how plentiful lockpicks and multitools were.

But on the other hand it'd own to just have a really well-done lock-picking mechanic ala Deadly Shadows and something comparable for multi-tools, and 'must have' skills like Hacking are generally signs of poor design.

Gordon_Shea
18th Aug 2010, 09:41
Also someone should ask the developers if Adam's resemblance to the singer Voltaire was intentional.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7356/voltaire1.jpg

Ilves
18th Aug 2010, 10:01
Whoa.

Xenoc
18th Aug 2010, 10:06
I hope so, hacking every door is going to get lame REAL fast.

You will get options ala DX1, there will be a vent, a guard, a laser grid, hack or lockpick option to get past to enter a new area. As per the footage just released maybe skylights are an option?

Mindmute
18th Aug 2010, 10:40
You couldn't really avoid Navarre or Simons iirc, unless you cheated.

Actually it was rather easy to run past Simmons and Navarre didn't really need to be fought if you knew the killphrase. The only "boss" in the game that you were forced to actually kill/takedown was Howard Strong.

My question:

I'm aware you can do combat in "social hub" areas and likely do dialogue in combat areas, but are there parts of the game that blur the line between the two?
As far as we've seen the whole use of the jacket for social and body-armour for combat zones seems to indicate that most areas have a single focus.

avenging_teabag
18th Aug 2010, 11:27
Actually it was rather easy to run past Simmons and Navarre didn't really need to be fought if you knew the killphrase.
Still counts as killing, no? I didn't know that you could avoid Simons though. Anyh00, I remember reading somewhere that boss fights are mandatory in DEHR.

jordan_a
19th Aug 2010, 22:23
Didn't have an opportunity, they were super busy, more than at E3. Please close, I'll report on the demo elsewhere though.