PDA

View Full Version : How's this for a cover system?

Shralla
17th Aug 2010, 04:42
A friend recently (today) brought to my attention the game Brink, developed by Splash Damage, published by Bethesda. Aside from the obvious significance of their "SMART" system (the one-button freerange movement system), it struck me as being rather useful for a cover system, since it allows you to move to cover quickly, and with somewhat of the same "sticky" sense that a third-person cover system has.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/container-city-brink/59707

Another interesting thing to note is that this game has leaning! I think that a sliding system like this would have been great for Human Revolution, even without the rest of the movement options.

Jerion
17th Aug 2010, 04:47
That looks so slick...definitely on my list of things to pick up! It looks kinda like Mirror's Edge meets Borderlands?

Cronstintein
17th Aug 2010, 04:52
interesting game, if a bit arcady, but where did he use cover in that?
The climbing looked alright though, I liked that.

Shralla
17th Aug 2010, 05:58
interesting game, if a bit arcady, but where did he use cover in that?
The climbing looked alright though, I liked that.

I think I posted the wrong video, but this one displays what I'm talking about a couple times near the beginning. Basically when you slide along the ground, and when you hit a wall, it "sticks" you against it, and turns you parallel with the wall, and as near as I could tell from the other videos, if you hit a low wall, you'll automatically crouch as well. Not 100% on that though.

And yeah, looks a bit like Borderlands. Sounds way more awesome though, especially with 7v7 play with random people or your buddies, though naturally no loot-driven gamepaly.

Cronstintein
17th Aug 2010, 07:20
Aw but the loot was the best part of borderlands!

I do like the on-the-fly class changes and objective based conflict (reminds me a little of enemy territory in that regard).

Ah ok, watching more closely I saw it, was a bit subtle because he doesn't do much 'sticking'. Certainly no whack-a-mole :)

EDIT: Yes I like the cover system from what i've seen.

Shralla
17th Aug 2010, 07:25
Yeah, it's a really light touch, but it's just something extra that gives you a sense of convenience and reward when you do it.

Fluffis
17th Aug 2010, 13:26
No, from what I've seen and read, the cover system in Brink is this: get behind something, and press the button to crouch. The sliding action is nothing more than that; a sliding action, but you do stay in crouch when you've come to a halt. The rest you have to do for yourself. It's a combination of Mirror's Edge and ye olde DX cover system ("Duck... and cover").

This game actually looks really cool.

Cronstintein
17th Aug 2010, 19:01
But they also have lean. Lean, Fluffis, LEAN!

Fluffis
17th Aug 2010, 19:22
But they also have lean. Lean, Fluffis, LEAN!

Oh yeah. It's the kind of cover system I want in DX:HR. The lean system does sound pretty cool, with it being touch sensitive; you never lean too far out.

Pretentious Old Man.
17th Aug 2010, 19:53
It looked really good apart from the ridiculous running and gunning that it seems impossible that game designers will ever forsake. Seriously, when are they going to learn that one cannot move backwards at speed while dodging bullets?

*cries quietly in corner over demise of tactical shooter*

Jerion
17th Aug 2010, 20:19
It looked really good apart from the ridiculous running and gunning that it seems impossible that game designers will ever forsake. Seriously, when are they going to learn that one cannot move backwards at speed while dodging bullets?

Bah, you're so Pretentious.

Pretentious Old Man.
17th Aug 2010, 20:33
Bah, you're so Pretentious.

Pretentious...

...moi?

:D

Shralla
18th Aug 2010, 06:10

Whaaaaaaat? We've had nothing but slow as molasses shooters coming out for the last few years. UT3 was the last really fast-paced shooter, and it flopped. This game is completely about running and gunning, that's why the movement system is in place.

Rindill the Red
18th Aug 2010, 07:19
http://www.giantbomb.com/how-brinks-smart-system-works/17-3071/

Interesting... looks like a Mirror's Edge copy (as far as movement goes), which is a plus for me... I loved Mirror's Edge control.

Badmaker
18th Aug 2010, 07:40
DX:RH must "borrow" the Brink's cover system.

Cronstintein
18th Aug 2010, 17:28
Too late, you need to incorporate that kind of system from the ground up. :(
Certainly looks interesting though.

EDIT: at least the climbing part. The cover would probably be doable if there was a will.