PDA

View Full Version : The anti-piracy tread idears !!

petersjov
15th Aug 2010, 18:01
So, yeah i did pirate games back in the day, and also on the pc, i did not care, but the more i liked games, the less i have pirated games, and i belive its like 9-10 years since i pirated anything, i earn money, and i respect others who work. :rolleyes:

So we are gamers right ?, i belive we are a lot smarter than some of the other people who think of these anti-piracy stuff...

Lets hear your best advice, try to be serious, and please not to many "lower the price of games" - i know that works ;-) but lets go new ways...

remember back in the days, where a game would pop up and ask "what is the 5. word on page 57 in the manual" ?

im not sure i like the whole "you have to be online to play the game at all time" because im not sure the game is being supported as long as a want to play it!!

How about a united gamer id ?, it can only be verified by your real name and adresse, and any game you buy new, will be tied to that id - you cant run from you real name... ? - yeah i like used games, but new games also gets cheaper, so it not like its always expensive to buy new games. ?:)

Kent-45
15th Aug 2010, 18:49
You will never stop people from pirating games/movies/music ... If it can be shared, and there's a demand for it, people are going to share it. That's just the way of the world.

The truth is that you cannot stop piracy. You can only make it so hard that the average user will be discouraged. Games that do online checks can be tricked/hacked/cracked, DVD protection can be emulated. Pirates see the latest copy protection as a challenge, it doesn't discourage them.

ohitspatty
15th Aug 2010, 22:11
How about if they catch you pirate any kind of media they will kill your family? Sounds reasonable enough, no?

In all seriousness, the internet made the piracy so easy. Many companies have tried to protect their media as well as sue those who downloaded illegally with little to no avail. Also the economy plays a big role in this.

Besides I believe that most people on here have illegally downloaded a thing or two at one point in their lives. Kazzaa, BearShare, LimeWire, Frostwire, Ares, BitTorrent etc.

Let's face it. Whatever it's been done to protect media from piracy have been cracked. Activation codes? Code generators. Consoles have been modded and "flashed" to play game back-ups.

But it seems like the true fan-base will always support the artist/studio. I believe most of us here will support IOI by purchasing Dog Days, Hitman 5, and so on. Personally if I really like the artist I will purchase their album. If I really like the film I will purchase the dvd/blue-ray. And if I really like the game, I will also buy it. However, this puts me in the position where I can't have everything I want but that's life...at least for now.

TheMoD
16th Aug 2010, 20:45
In all seriousness, the internet made the piracy so easy..

That's exactly the problem and since all this stuff is so easy and accessible they should really stop punishing people who do it and instead try to kill the root of the problem as difficult as it may be..

Bevacur
16th Aug 2010, 21:18
I'm a pirate for music and maybe for 2-3 games. But there is no point pirating games as it is 99% guaranteed my computer won't be able to handle it.

ohitspatty
17th Aug 2010, 05:35
That's exactly the problem and since all this stuff is so easy and accessible they should really stop punishing people who do it and instead try to kill the root of the problem as difficult as it may be..

And how would they do that? Shut down the interwebs? :scratch:

petersjov
17th Aug 2010, 06:18
well, one of my thoughts is: why dont they make a new format?: let call it a disc, kind og like a DVD, lets say "DVDX", now your console has its own format, and then you just NEVER make a burner for it, its only the console company that has the ability to make "DVDX" ?

Kent-45
17th Aug 2010, 06:29
The whole point of using DVDs is to keep costs down. When you start trying to get complicated with the delivery of your game, costs skyrocket...and the customers end up paying extra.

Anyway, DVDs are a dying format. Everything is streaming nowadays. Bandwidth costs less than fancy game packaging and retail shelf space. Digital delivery, where the content is streamed on-the-fly is probably the next wave of anti-piracy.

In the future, we won't buy game discs...but instead get serial keys to access the content online. I think most games will require constant internet connectivity in the future.

ohitspatty
17th Aug 2010, 06:36
Yeah, we are already half-way there with all those games available on Xbox Live, PSN, Steam and such. Digital media is going to be so much easier to handle, yet harder to protect don't you think?

JackGordon
17th Aug 2010, 07:41
Digital distribution is not the way to go.

Just a friendly reminder that when you pay for a retail game, at least 85% of the price you pay is for packaging (disc, box, manual...). Now with, for example, Games On Demand for xbox live, games costs as much there as they do in stores. Except with GOD, there's no packaging and yet you still pay the retail price.

ohitspatty
17th Aug 2010, 07:50
I don't know. I'm still stickying to my "you rip us off, we'll kill your family" kind of anti-piracy control.

JackGordon
17th Aug 2010, 08:27
"you rip us off, we'll kill your family"
I'll keep that in mind next time publishers/devs decide to lock content on the disk and charge the player extra - who possibly bought the game at full price - to unlock it later on.

2K, Capcom, ... Dog Man is coming.

I would also like to add that stealing a loaf of bread from a king is different than stealing a loaf of bread from a street rat.

petersjov
17th Aug 2010, 11:32
I would also like to add that stealing a loaf of bread from a king is different than stealing a loaf of bread from a street rat.

So stealing from capcom is wrong, and stealing from a indie dev. is....not so wrong ?

And yeah i dont get the prices on xbox demand games....well kind of i just bought Deathspank:) and i just thought Hey...I could also have bought a game form the games on demand - so they are not more expensive that arcade games, ...he he but i rather pick up a disc version, witch would have been cheaper.

JackGordon
17th Aug 2010, 11:51
So stealing from capcom is wrong, and stealing from a indie dev. is....not so wrong ?
:hmm: No. You misread/misunderstood the whole thing. It's the other way around actually. There is a big difference between stealing from the rich and stealing from the poor and that is why people don't have a problem stealing music/movies/games from corporations, yet they would never steal it from their fellow man.