PDA

View Full Version : Just got a PS2 (10 years behind everyone else) and here are a few amazing games

joe the janitor
15th Aug 2010, 06:35
Three GREAT games I have just played on my PS2 :D These are sorta mini reviews:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Ico

Oh my god! This game blew me away. I heard good things from this community about it but I wasn't expecting it to be this good after 9 years (I think) of aging! It wasn't the gameplay that got me. Neither platforming, or the puzzles I found to be cool or very fun but it was the story. The way how Ico and Yorda can't speak each others languages so they have to single each other. The way how they are awkwardly holding hands, which helps there relationship grow into something more. I also like how Yorda seemed to part of a plot much larger then Ico trying to escape.
It wasn't without it's flaws though.
During the middle of the game there wasn't much plot. It really was just puzzles for about 2-3 hours.
Of coarse these are minor complaints that get blown away thanks to the balls to the wall amazing ending!
When I found Yorda on the beach I was so happy... Followed by the "leave it up to the imagination ending", which makes it a bit more complicated.... ;)

2. Shadow of the Colossus

I don't know where to start...
First I thought this was better then Ico.
Ok, Shadow of the Colossus is possibly the best game I have ever played. I'm not sure what the main characters names are so please forgive me for that, although I could probably just wiki it. You play a guy with long hair. The game starts off with you riding a massive horse (named Agro) carrying an.... something. And that's all I will tell you. I'm serious, go play it for your self, and have a blast.

On to the gameplay.
Now I don't really want to spoil why but you have to kill sixteen massive Colossi. Again, not telling you why. Each Colossi (with the exception of one) are very originally designed, and are fought in very unique ways. Although it usually just comes down to get to there head, and stab out or all there childhood memories, you get to stab out or all there childhood memories in interesting way. For example there is the one dragon Colossus which you have to shoot out it's air bubbles which help it fly, ride your horse Agro up to it, jump on it's wing, and stab three points of it's spine. Ya, It's as epic as it sounds.

To end this, I'll spoil a tad. Shadow of the Colossus is related to Ico story wise. Although it is up for interpretation so in your mind they may be two totally separate games in two totally separate universes.

3. Silent Hill 2

Actually... I still haven't finished it, but so far it is very good. Even though the combat sucks. :(

SovietAmerika
15th Aug 2010, 06:40
first game i ever got on PS2 was Final Fantasy X.And we didnt buy a memory card for 2 weeks!!!i put about 3 hours each day into that game just to do it over again the next.never played ICO or Shadow Of The Colossus but heard good things about them,by the time they came out I had switched to Xbox.

Zidrien
15th Aug 2010, 06:50
My first PS2 was NFS: HP2.
Good times...
Wonder how much my old console and the 50-or-so games would go for on Ebay?

VegaSagatBison
15th Aug 2010, 07:07
Persona 4 is really good.

ohitspatty
15th Aug 2010, 07:14
Son, you're now the man. Here are the car keys to the 1969 Chevelle.

Oh and my first game on PS2 was Metal Gear Solid 2. I bought the game on release, before I even had PS2. True story.

joe the janitor
15th Aug 2010, 07:50
Son, you're now the man. Here are the car keys to the 1969 Chevelle.

Oh and my first game on PS2 was Metal Gear Solid 2. I bought the game on release, before I even had PS2. True story.
*Virtual highfive* I bought Shadow of the Colossus before I got a ps2!

JackGordon
15th Aug 2010, 09:40
Starting off with a clean & high-quality library is a good thing. PS2 actually has tons and tons of great games. Here are a couple of suggestions:
- Canis Canem Edit/Bully; fun & funny sandbox game. If you have a 360 however, I would go for the Scholarship Edition instead.
- Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy; great mystery/horror game with gloomy settings. Xbox version has better colors and looks smoother. Other than that it's a great game. I always play this one during the winter.
- Okami; fantasy/action RPG. I'm at 36+ hours of play and I believe I'm only halfway through the game. Great visuals. Love it or hate it-type of game, though.
- Project Zero/Fatal Frame I - II - III; amazing survivial horror series.

Also, if you have an HD tv, I suggest getting a composite cable (available for PS3 but works for PS2 as well) to get the highest possible picture quality. For instance, Shadow of the Colossus and Project Zero III: The Tormented will run smoother and look gorgeous when set to Progressive Scan.

Anyways, enjoy your PS2, Joe. Great console with great games.

BeardedHoplite
15th Aug 2010, 16:30
Ah, PS2, good times man.

No One Lives Forever- Awesome FPS that is like Austin Powers (satire of 60s spy media) with better jokes. I got it for 3 USD at Gamestop, I would have gladly paid four times that.

True Crime: New York City- A good free-roamer on PS2 tht isn't Vice City. It's unique because you're a plainclothes cop and you can frisk people in the middle of the street for no reason. And if they don't have a huge amount of Cocaine on them (if you let crime rates get high you'll be suprised what you'll find on people) you can plant some evidence at the cost of some karma. I got this gem at the Hollywood video closing sale for 6 USD

I'llpost some more later

TheMoD
15th Aug 2010, 16:49
Oh wow, I never actually had a ps2 -.- I did play Silent Hill 2 on pc though, yea amazing game, but I've always been wanting to play Ico and Shadow of the colossus soo badly :(
I'm just gonna wait a while longer, I think they're gonna release it on ps3 like they did with gow1 and 2

JackGordon
15th Aug 2010, 17:31
I'm just gonna wait a while longer, I think they're gonna release it on ps3 like they did with gow1 and 2
Don't worry. It's coming (http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/theteamicocollection/index.html).

TheMoD
16th Aug 2010, 01:09
Don't worry. It's coming (http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/theteamicocollection/index.html).

Oh wow that's awesome :O didn't know it was official. Thanks man

ohitspatty
16th Aug 2010, 01:34
I'm not sure if it's "official" just yet. I'd love to see it thought.

JackGordon
16th Aug 2010, 07:05
I've said this before but Gamespot only bothers to update their database when something is (as good as) confirmed.

ohitspatty
16th Aug 2010, 21:58
Even though the combat sucks. :(

I just read that. Honestly, use the combat system only when it is necessary.

ohitspatty
20th Aug 2010, 08:41
Do yourself a favor and buy Metal Gear Solid 3. You won't regret it.

GrievousOdyssey
29th Aug 2010, 19:32
The reason i bought the PS2 was because i wanted to play Spider-man 2 , that whole jumping around in a open world idea amazed ...
And also thanks to the fact that the PC version was a 'kiddie' version compared of the consoles version i saw on them trailers ...

However , the First game i played on my PS2 was Transformers ...

Anyone who played that game can understand why it 'blew my mind' ...

Huge ...
It was just Huge ...