PDA

View Full Version : Readable Font please

Cronstintein
14th Aug 2010, 23:54
Alpha protocol and ME2 had the tinniest, most unreadable fonts.
Granted I have an average sized, non-HD tv but come on, I can't be the only one!
Have mercy on us :(

pringlepower
15th Aug 2010, 00:04
Alpha protocol and ME2 had the tinniest, most unreadable fonts.
Granted I have an average sized, non-HD tv but come on, I can't be the only one!
Have mercy on us :(

ME2 is unreadable on HD TVs, due to some graphical flaw.

Large font as fine, as long as they don't overcompensate Oblivion-style

luminar
15th Aug 2010, 00:07
ME2 is unreadable on HD TVs, due to some graphical flaw.

Large font as fine, as long as they don't overcompensate Oblivion-style

Agreed, oblivion overdid it and I have a non hd tv also.

Sabretooth1
15th Aug 2010, 04:36
I have a 19" monitor and had absolutely no problems with font size on both Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol. Is this a console thing?

HellKittyDan
15th Aug 2010, 06:02
Is this a console thing?

It's an SD TV thing.

It was common for console games early in this gen to feature large fonts and UI to cater to the audience who still had old TVs, whereas nowadays SD resolutions are often ignored. Which is fine by me, as I play my console games on the same 21 inch widescreen monitor as my PC games

rokstrombo
15th Aug 2010, 11:06
What are the obstacles to implementing a UI comprised largely of vector-based graphics in games that will inevitably be experienced at different screen resolutions and aspect ratios?

Kodaemon
15th Aug 2010, 11:17
Lazyness.

pringlepower
15th Aug 2010, 14:51
Lazyness.

Laziness*. Don't be lazy with spelling.

TrickyVein
15th Aug 2010, 14:53
wait - is this thread about needing glasses? No wonder the devs don't pay us any attention.

mr_cyberpunk
15th Aug 2010, 15:12
All I have to say is, EVE Online...

Now suddenly Deus Ex 3's text looks massive compared.

I ******* hate EVE's font.

What are the obstacles to implementing a UI comprised largely of vector-based graphics in games that will inevitably be experienced at different screen resolutions and aspect ratios?

Scaleform is all you need.
http://www.scaleform.com/

Shame this isn't unreal 3.

Romeo
15th Aug 2010, 15:46
Laziness*. Don't be lazy with spelling.
LOL! Aces!

Anyways, I'm not particularly worried about font, so long as it doesn't take up too much room. ME I have the subtitles turned off anyways, a habit I intend to apply to Deus Ex as well. :rolleyes:

pringlepower
15th Aug 2010, 15:58
All I have to say is, EVE Online...

Now suddenly Deus Ex 3's text looks massive compared.

I ******* hate EVE's font.

Scaleform is all you need.
http://www.scaleform.com/

Shame this isn't unreal 3.

EVE is less a space simulator than a bored accountant's dream.

Cronstintein
15th Aug 2010, 20:09
Wasn't so much the ME2's subtitles but trying to read planet info while mining was brutal. And no it wasn't glasses, just small fonts + bad TV resolution = unreadable mess. Many games you can just deal with it, but with a highly story-driven game it's a disaster.

Romeo
15th Aug 2010, 20:58
Wasn't so much the ME2's subtitles but trying to read planet info while mining was brutal. And no it wasn't glasses, just small fonts + bad TV resolution = unreadable mess. Many games you can just deal with it, but with a highly story-driven game it's a disaster.
Oh, I guess I just got lucky with my TV, I could read those (Granted, I also sit at an unhealthy distance). Haven't played Alpha Protocol, so I don't know if I'd still be lucky with that game, mind you. :p

sharpie
17th Aug 2010, 11:25
yea I have a hard time playing RDR or GTAIV on my 19 inch SD TV :(

"what button are they telling me to hit right now!?" - standing literally in front of the T.V. and squinting.

Romeo
18th Aug 2010, 02:44
Bah, I just hit them all, as a pre-cautionary measure. lol

Kodaemon
18th Aug 2010, 03:53
Oh wow, I really had no idea it was spelt "laziness"... Nobody's perfect, I guess.

sharpie
18th Aug 2010, 11:26
Bah, I just hit them all, as a pre-cautionary measure. lol

That's my tactic for online games, where the first button I find is the grenade button and I'm in spawn. And every time this occurs I'm the only person who took my own advice of, "holy s*** bad nade, run!"

mad825
18th Aug 2010, 13:22
It's an SD TV thing.

It was common for console games early in this gen to feature large fonts and UI to cater to the audience who still had old TVs, whereas nowadays SD resolutions are often ignored. Which is fine by me, as I play my console games on the same 21 inch widescreen monitor as my PC games

Alas!
I dont think even SD/HD TVs/montiors are going to matter any more as stereoscopic imagery is now taking place.

It's only a matter of time now when the gaming industry will make (gimmickry) stereoscopic imagery standardised.

xsamitt
18th Aug 2010, 14:27
Oh wow, I really had no idea it was spelt "laziness"... Nobody's perfect, I guess.

Now that's just being lazy...LOL ;)I;m kind of in shock really....Do you mean to tell us,your forums members that you don't have at the very minimum a 1200 page or greater dictionary on hand at all times?The nerve of some people.;)

Xenoc
18th Aug 2010, 16:19
Oh, I guess I just got lucky with my TV, I could read those (Granted, I also sit at an unhealthy distance). Haven't played Alpha Protocol, so I don't know if I'd still be lucky with that game, mind you. :p

lucky you AP was glitchy and to top it off SEGA have said no sequal and no patches!!! A-HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

pringlepower
18th Aug 2010, 16:32
lucky you AP was glitchy and to top it off SEGA have said no sequal and no patches!!! A-HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are patching it. And I think it makes sense to not make a sequel for a poorly-optimized, polished, and executed game that sold poorly.

Cronstintein
18th Aug 2010, 17:26
It makes a certain amount of classic business sense. Sad though because with better implementation that game could have been good.