PDA

View Full Version : The Icarus Myth... suddenly over-used?

Rindill the Red
14th Aug 2010, 03:26
The subtle use of Icarus, Daedalus, Helios, and Morpheus in Deus Ex is only one small reason I liked the game.

The myth and it's meanings tied well into the storyline of the game, especially how they were only used to name the AI's.

But now... the trailers already shoved the myth down our throats...

What might have been a subtle intellectual undercurrent... is now blatantly obvious.

And the book, it's called... The Icarus Effect.

And Bioshock Infinite... takes place in the sky... and the website is called whatisicarus.com?

Yeah, the inclusion of ancient myths as an artistic commentary on game worlds and their stories is a great idea... like a dash of salt on a good steak.

But it seems like they are adding a giant spoonful, and rubbing it all over you, and telling you it's there while pointing to it with big flashy neon signs...

*Sigh*

Corpus
14th Aug 2010, 03:31
The book is called Icarus effect because it explains what the Icarus Effect is its not just some random title. Bioshock is a coincidence nothing more.
Its blatantly obvious because it outlines the plot. That imagery is easier to understand more than anything.

Romeo
14th Aug 2010, 06:19
Not to mention Icarus is also the biggest metaphor running through the game thus far (Evidenced in the teaser, as well as the fact the plot is centered around man's reach exceeding his grasp, an ideology commonly associated with Icarus flying too close to the sun).

jtr7
14th Aug 2010, 07:37
Well yeah.

How they've justified being blatant and loud and hardly subtextual with it isn't the concern. The blatancy is. It's hand-holding and reeks of the stereotypical dumb consolification. Or is the anything-but-subtle, and now, cross-developer bandwagon jumping not what it seems to be?

Instead of using the theme to inform the story and character arcs, it's now a neon sign blaring: "This is our theme? Get it? Get it?"

Or is it? Or why is it blatant and why is it now going to be the theme of 2011 from more than one source? Thus the OP's post.

rokstrombo
14th Aug 2010, 08:52
I think the reason why you perceive the use of the Icarus myth to be excessive is because this excess is probably more of an attempt at creating a marketing hook than anything else. The developers say more or less the same thing during any particular round of interviews, and the repeated explanations of the Icarus metaphor deliberately coincided with the release of the rather heavy-handed teaser trailer earlier this year.

HellKittyDan
14th Aug 2010, 10:22
Two games is not excessive.

What is it we are missing out on discovering on our own with this supposed hand-holding? The people of 2027 think they are heading into a golden age. Being a prequel, we know this isn't true. If you're telling a story about the Titanic, you don't try to hide the fact the ship sinks. To do so would be to treat your audience with contempt.

JackShandy
14th Aug 2010, 12:03
Ehhhh, I think you only feel it's being shoved down your throat because you're reading all the interviews where they specifically say "We were inspired by the Icarus Myth".

Looking just at the actual footage, all we've seen is one shot of adam with wings in each pre-made trailer (And that should only really count as one, because the second one recycled the beginning of the first). No character has said "You're flying too close to the sun, adam!" and he hasn't had a dramatic monologue like "In my hubris I was struck down! Just like that myth! That myth about icarus... you remember that, right guys? Right?!". Nothing outside that one dream sequence's even pointed to it. Oh, except for the name of one of the powers, I remember.

All of the throat-shoving stuff is being done out of game- the name of the website, the stuff they're saying in interviews, etc etc etc. Don't think I've seen any evidence that it'll be ridiculous in the game. Wait and see, of course.

Romeo
14th Aug 2010, 18:23
Ehhhh, I think you only feel it's being shoved down your throat because you're reading all the interviews where they specifically say "We were inspired by the Icarus Myth".

Looking just at the actual footage, all we've seen is one shot of adam with wings in each pre-made trailer (And that should only really count as one, because the second one recycled the beginning of the first). No character has said "You're flying too close to the sun, adam!" and he hasn't had a dramatic monologue like "In my hubris I was struck down! Just like that myth!". Nothing outside that one dream sequence's even pointed to it. Oh, except for the name of one of the powers, I remember.

All of the throat-shoving stuff is being done out of game- the name of the website, the stuff they're saying in interviews, etc etc etc. Don't think I've seen any evidence that it'll be ridiculous in the game. Wait and see, of course.
I never asked for these wax wings... :lol:

Gordon_Shea
16th Aug 2010, 20:20
The Icarus myth is one of those things like the story of Pandora that everyone knows and thinks they're clever for knowing even though, again, everyone knows it. It was frankly obnoxious in Deus Ex and judging from the marketing for Human Revolution it's going to be even moreso. One of the worse things we've inherited from the Victorians is this obsession with shoehorning allusions to classical antiquity into things that honestly don't need them.

pringlepower
16th Aug 2010, 20:25
The Icarus myth is one of those things like the story of Pandora that everyone knows and thinks they're clever for knowing even though, again, everyone knows it. It was frankly obnoxious in Deus Ex and judging from the marketing for Human Revolution it's going to be even moreso. One of the worse things we've inherited from the Victorians is this obsession with shoehorning allusions to classical antiquity into things that honestly don't need them.

Goddamnit you're right! We need a modern metaphor to drive this plot! Screw Icarus! Screw Daedalus!

Deus Ex Human Revolution will be about Lehman Brothers and AIG! About overstepping boundaries, investing too much in untested technology, the collapse of a golden age, corporate arrogance!

Just get Adam in a nice suit and tie and we'll be A-OK.

Gordon_Shea
16th Aug 2010, 20:28
Goddamnit you're right! We need a modern metaphor to drive this plot! Screw Icarus! Screw Daedalus!

Deus Ex Human Revolution will be about Lehman Brothers and AIG! About overstepping boundaries, investing too much in untested technology, the collapse of a golden age, corporate arrogance!

That, or something to do with the Business Plot, would unironically be about a billion times better than another attempt to milk the dry, withered husk of greek mythology.

pringlepower
16th Aug 2010, 20:29
That, or something to do with the Business Plot, would unironically be about a billion times better than another attempt to milk the dry, withered husk of greek mythology.

I'm just full of great ideas :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Aug 2010, 20:33
I never asked for these wax wings... :lol:

Too funny! :D

luminar
16th Aug 2010, 20:36

Good ideas! Listen to them!

ercpkr
17th Aug 2010, 04:18
I thought it was done very well in the original DX. Daedalus was created by Everett, the "father" of the illuminati. Icarus was created by Page, his protege who sought to outdo him; and was eventually defeated by the Sun, represented by Helios and JC Denton, (at least in the ending which I found to be the most built-up to).

I don't see how this myth ties in at all to the new DX. Maybe it does, but it's been used already anyways. Either way, I was very disappointed to see such blatant use of metaphor.

But that's just nitpicking.