PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bit on weapons:

Jerion
12th Aug 2010, 23:47
Check out these two bits of pretty:

http://deusex-humanrevolution.blogspot.com/2010/08/official-playstation-magazine-uk-issue.html

Highlights:

-The Assault Rifle is actually a (guided?) flechette rifle. Can be customized for a variety of roles.

-Depending on your upgrades and allies, you can gain access to different ammo types (such as basic 12-gauge for the shotgun versus heavier anti-mech shot).

TrickyVein
13th Aug 2010, 00:01
Many thanks, Mr. K.

I'm gonna enjoy using the bow. It's great how this weapon's gotten such an overhaul.

pringlepower
13th Aug 2010, 00:07
Check out these two bits of pretty:

http://deusex-humanrevolution.blogspot.com/2010/08/official-playstation-magazine-uk-issue.html

Highlights:

-The Assault Rifle is actually a (guided?) flechette rifle. Can be customized for a variety of roles.

-Depending on your upgrades and allies, you can gain access to different ammo types (such as basic 12-gauge for the shotgun versus heavier anti-mech shot).

That shotgun really looks like a FAMAS

Homing flechettes seems a bit wonky, believability-wise, but I think that's compensated by the sheer badassness of that gun.

And not to go off topic but "depending on your allies"?

Oooooooooooo

Cronstintein
13th Aug 2010, 00:20
Oh man, looking sweet!
Thanks for the link. Guided bullets eh? Sounds interesting, curious to see how that's implemented.

Dead-Eye
13th Aug 2010, 00:40
Am I the only one that believes that M4s and AK-47's should be included for that grounded feeling? I mean I'm not dissing the fine looking weapons of 2027 but in Deus Ex one of the first weapons you get is a 10mm pistol (I think it's a GLOCK). I'm just saying, I don't think they will all be recycled in 17 years.

tartarus_sauce
13th Aug 2010, 00:47
I buy homing flechette rounds. I remember watching a "weapons of the future" thing years back about this. It's really not that hard to do. You have an IR laser paired to a targeting computer on the weapon. The individual rounds have eight ports on the back. The computer tells which of those ports to fire, so the weapon compensates in-flight. Not exactly "homing" but still cool.

pringlepower
13th Aug 2010, 00:53
Considering the DXHR world is all about renaissance and a golden age, it makes sense that the weapons are sleek, almost prototypical models. Like an alternate history where the G11, ACR, and Pancor Jackhammer all entered mass production

That magnum is nuts too. Revolver magazine hybrid?

Corpus
13th Aug 2010, 01:12
I'm digging it. The bit about your allies linking to upgrades leads me to believe that the big powers have links into the weapon dealers. Hence the amount of brands etc.

El_Bel
13th Aug 2010, 01:15
Two good things here.

First the got rid of one ammo type per weapon BS.
Second the "Depending on your upgrades and allies, you can gain access to different ammo types" sounds like Alpha Protocol.

Corpus
13th Aug 2010, 01:20
Two good things here.

First the got rid of one ammo type per weapon BS.
Second the "Depending on your upgrades and allies, you can gain access to different ammo types" sounds like Alpha Protocol.

Yup, makes each playthrough more diverse. Nice one there EM :)

Shralla
13th Aug 2010, 02:33
That revolver is so unbelievably sexy.

Pinky_Powers
13th Aug 2010, 02:45
Is it wrong that I want to wield all of those? I mean, the .357 is crazy, and I'd hardly ever use it. But there will be times that I hunger for that evil power in my palm. :) Every now and again the heat will come upon me, and I'm going to want to blow someone's face off with a terrible bellow.

The assault riffle looks wonderfully versatile. And that goddamn crossbow is a mean treat. The shotgun is the only thing that's not immediately calling out to me. But that's only because I know I'll have no use for it. It looks bloody lovely, though.

pringlepower
13th Aug 2010, 02:49
Is it wrong that I want to wield all of those? I mean, the .357 is crazy, and I'd hardly ever use it. But there will be times that I hunger for that evil power in my palm. :) Every now and again the heat will come upon me, and I'm going to want to blow someone's face off with a terrible bellow.

The assault riffle looks wonderfully versatile. And that goddamn crossbow is a mean treat. The shotgun is the only thing that's not immediately calling out to me. But that's only because I know I'll have no use for it. It looks bloody lovely, though.

Tired of repeatdly skewering your enemies with wrist-blades? Introducing... buckshot! (for kids!)

Invictus Sol
13th Aug 2010, 03:48
Nice find, Mr. K. Those weapons look amazing. Really looking forward to seeing how they customize.

Romeo
13th Aug 2010, 05:17
I like the caption on the cross-bow:

A picanny-rail is standard allowing the user to mount any sort of scope they please.

Hello, visual weapons mods... =P

avenging_teabag
13th Aug 2010, 05:38
Looks very sexy, but where is my sniper rifle? I mean S.F.W. probably qualifies, but I want a dedicated sniper rifle. Gimme.

Gimmegimmegimmegimmegimme.

KSingh77
13th Aug 2010, 06:07
Awsome weapons

Can't wait to rock it on the Rock-It launcher.

And I'm gonna go Dirty Harry style with the 357. Magnum.

Cronstintein
13th Aug 2010, 06:37
Looks very sexy, but where is my sniper rifle? I mean S.F.W. probably qualifies, but I want a dedicated sniper rifle. Gimme.

I was thinking the scoped crossbow seemed like a sniper rifle.
And silent too!

hem dazon 90
13th Aug 2010, 06:53
if that revolver was a woman I would (censored)

Kodaemon
13th Aug 2010, 07:00
The sniper rifle was one of the first wepons we got to glimpse from early scans.

Jerion
13th Aug 2010, 07:02
Yeah, and it's sitting in one of the in-game shots in the pinned Image & Wallpapers gallery thread.

Kodaemon
13th Aug 2010, 07:05
And here's the concept: http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6907/003ddcbe7.jpg

avenging_teabag
13th Aug 2010, 07:09
I was thinking the scoped crossbow seemed like a sniper rifle.
And silent too!
Not the same :(

PS Thanks for the concept guys, missed it. Waiting patiently.

Irate_Iguana
13th Aug 2010, 08:11
Weapon concepts overall look nice. Funny to see that they are essentially reusing the Dardick mechanism for the revolver. Steerable flechettes sounds pretty overpowered. I'm hoping that not all ammo will home in on your targets. Although I'm happy to hear that upgrades and allies might influence your ammo availability, I'd like to see more about that before I render judgment.

Corpus
13th Aug 2010, 14:12
Revolver is definitely gonna be my business cannon.
Can't wait to see more.

ThePrecursor
13th Aug 2010, 14:15
Glad they went with multiple ammo types after all :) Damn those weapon designs look good.

Ashpolt
13th Aug 2010, 15:28
Yeah, the weapons are looking nice, and I'm definitely glad to hear they've gone back to multiple ammo types for at least some of the weapons.

Pretentious Old Man.
13th Aug 2010, 15:36
Does anyone else plan on not augmenting themselves just so they can have more weaponry? :)

3rdmillhouse
13th Aug 2010, 20:47
Am I the only one that believes that M4s and AK-47's should be included for that grounded feeling? I mean I'm not dissing the fine looking weapons of 2027 but in Deus Ex one of the first weapons you get is a 10mm pistol (I think it's a GLOCK). I'm just saying, I don't think they will all be recycled in 17 years.

I hear you. I don't believe will be seeing guided ammunition so soon in the next decade when it comes to small arms.

free2game
13th Aug 2010, 20:54
Why do game designers think that bullpup + plastic shell = futuristic. You've got to be a bit more creative than that. That and that whole "hey if it operates differently with no obvious benefit it's futuristic".

Corpus
13th Aug 2010, 21:22
Why do game designers think that bullpup + plastic shell = futuristic. You've got to be a bit more creative than that. That and that whole "hey if it operates differently with no obvious benefit it's futuristic".

Fun to use or believable/practical

Its tough to meet a balance.

pringlepower
13th Aug 2010, 21:29

Bullpup is futuristic, compared with the guns that are mainly used now. So are plastic shells. But the obvious benefit isn't felt in a video game where reloading is accomplished by pressing a button. And what about semi-homing flechettes ISN'T futuristic?

Although I notice a severe lack of liquid-asbestos guns.

ThePrecursor
13th Aug 2010, 21:41

I'm sure EM has done plenty of research on soon to be realized weaponry and then added their own flavour to it.

Also, materials such as carbon fiber-reinforced polymer are very popular due to it's durable and resistant but lightweight nature and several arms manufacturers are already considering using it for future weapons. As for bullpup weapons, I'm not seeing any in those designs. But even if there were, bullpup firearms do allow for more maneuvring and also reduces weight, so it does kinda fit in with the future.

Of course game designers want to be creative, hence why "different" operational design choices are made for the weapons, and I'm sure most of those choices do add to the functionality of the weapons. And if they didn't, it wouldn't really matter as long as the quality of the weapon does not suffer from it. There aren't any implications that this makes them more futuristic, but it makes them different and in the end different can result in those choices being labeled as "futuristic" as it isn't something that's known in this day and age.

3rdmillhouse
13th Aug 2010, 21:44
Bullpup is futuristic, compared with the guns that are mainly used now. So are plastic shells. But the obvious benefit isn't felt in a video game where reloading is accomplished by pressing a button. And what about semi-homing flechettes ISN'T futuristic?

Are you joking? You obivously have no idea what you're talking about. The brits were designing bullpups back in the 60s.

biofuel
13th Aug 2010, 23:13
This game is not in any way a logical progression of the Deus Ex 'franchise'

The natural progression of Deus Ex would be to scale way back on any violent aspects of the game, and delve right ahead into the virtual reality/immersive story elements using the technology of today to tell a story in the world of Deus Ex.

pringlepower
14th Aug 2010, 01:11
This game is not in any way a logical progression of the Deus Ex 'franchise'

The natural progression of Deus Ex would be to scale way back on any violent aspects of the game, and delve right ahead into the virtual reality/immersive story elements using the technology of today to tell a story in the world of Deus Ex.

It's a list of weapons. As I recall, Deus Ex had a freaking plasma cannon and a lightsaber.

tartarus_sauce
14th Aug 2010, 06:01
Here's NeoTokyo's weapon selection. Gaze and weep.

http://i41.tinypic.com/14cbmyu.jpg

I like what NeoTokyo did with weapons, focusing on upgraded models of existing weapons. That's really what the name of the game is today, more so than developing new weapons from scratch.

I know it would be neat and realistic if DE:HR had some AK's and M4's in there, but it wouldn't be Deus Ex. Deus Ex has never been about the weapons themselves, but how you upgrade and develop them. I think there's a reason why they didn't have the NSF packing AK's in the original.

Romeo
14th Aug 2010, 06:14

Aw dude, I got covered by the stupid stuff today, my arms are all red and raw from it. Asbestos dust, that is, not liquid. :hmm:

Senka
14th Aug 2010, 10:28
=/ Hope your joking

Romeo
14th Aug 2010, 18:26
=/ Hope your joking
Nah, was doing a clutch from a Jeep. I didn't realize how badly he'd smoked the thing. I was standing right under the bellhousing when I undid the last bolt and it was like POOOF! Black cloud everywhere. Just held my breath and went outside, but you have no idea how much that crap irritates the skin. It's like being pricked with needles. lol

Invictus Sol
15th Aug 2010, 01:28
Awsome weapons

Can't wait to rock it on the Rock-It launcher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=891CBnRQlrk

1:24... Sorry, could... not... resist.

And I'm gonna go Dirty Harry style with the 357. Magnum.

Yeah, a lot of heads are gonna get blown clean off by the most powerful handgun in the world. There's only one question these punks need to ask themselves...[/Eastwood]

And on topic, agree w/Tartarus Sauce that I've no patience for AK-47s in DX. In Hitman or a lot of other games, fine, but no, no, no in DX. They're so ****-ing boring. Though it's probably realistic to expect to see them as the gun of choice in 20 or 100 years, I'm just well and truly sick of them in videogames.

pringlepower
15th Aug 2010, 01:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=891CBnRQlrk

1:24... Sorry, could... not... resist.

Yeah, a lot of heads are gonna get blown clean off by the most powerful handgun in the world. There's only one question these punks need to ask themselves...[/Eastwood]

And on topic, agree w/Tartarus Sauce that I've no patience for AK-47s in DX. In Hitman or a lot of other games, fine, but no, no, no in DX. They're so ****-ing boring. Though it's probably realistic to expect to see them as the gun of choice in 20 or 100 years, I'm just well and truly sick of them in videogames.

But in some countries they're cheaper than a live chicken!
Then again I figure the global conspiracy can afford enough chickens as it is.

Senka
15th Aug 2010, 05:13
Nah, was doing a clutch from a Jeep. I didn't realize how badly he'd smoked the thing. I was standing right under the bellhousing when I undid the last bolt and it was like POOOF! Black cloud everywhere. Just held my breath and went outside, but you have no idea how much that crap irritates the skin. It's like being pricked with needles. lol

Asbestos is deadly? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos

KSingh77
15th Aug 2010, 05:45
I would like to see the use of the grenades,that scrambler grenade might come in handy just in case your up against a Boxguard and a handful of thugs and commandos.

pringlepower
15th Aug 2010, 14:48

Not in Portal 2 it isn't!

TrickyVein
15th Aug 2010, 15:02
Asbestos is exactly like being pricked by needles. Serpentine (usually, but not always) is organized on an atomic level to form sheets of mineral which roll into tiny, long, hard cylinders called asbestos form. If you inhale them, these needles will penetrate into your lungs where the body's immune system will respond by unleashing white blood cells. The white blood cells engulf the asbestos only to burst - because they can't surround it - and release their own toxic contents into the surrounding fluid. Then you start coughing up blood. It's pretty nasty. It's also naturally occuring - there is some amount of asbestos-form minerals drifting through the air - samples have been recorded in ice cores which predate human occupation, much less the industrial era.

Romeo
15th Aug 2010, 15:52
I'm well aware of it's dangers - I work around brakes all day, many of which still use it (Do to the excellent friction qualities of it). As much as that is true though, it's not all that bad for the skin, mostly the lungs, which is why I simply hold my breath when I take brake drums off.

Irate_Iguana
15th Aug 2010, 16:07
I'm well aware of it's dangers - I work around brakes all day, many of which still use it (Do to the excellent friction qualities of it). As much as that is true though, it's not all that bad for the skin, mostly the lungs, which is why I simply hold my breath when I take brake drums off.

Get a few of those disposable paper masks. Asbestos is primarily a danger when you cut or break it.

Romeo
15th Aug 2010, 16:30
Get a few of those disposable paper masks. Asbestos is primarily a danger when you cut or break it.
Do have them, but I typically save them for when I'm working on a large truck. Like I said, with cars, it only takes about ten seconds to smash a drum with a hammer, grab the drum, carry it outside, and then move to fresh air and start breathing again.

pringlepower
15th Aug 2010, 16:31
Do have them, but I typically save them for when I'm working on a large truck. Like I said, with cars, it only takes about ten seconds to smash a drum with a hammer, grab the drum, carry it outside, and then move to fresh air and start breathing again.

And it's good practice for when global warming floods BC.

Romeo
15th Aug 2010, 16:34
And it's good practice for when global warming floods BC.
On a very elevated location, don't care about the impending floods. Never much liked Surrey and Coquitlam anyways. :rasp:

ThePrecursor
15th Aug 2010, 16:38

Apparently not, I'm pretty sure that just holding your breath isn't going to protect you from asbestos entering your lungs. I'm not sure about Canada, but in Europe asbestos is regularly cleared out of older houses and the people that do this always wear fully protective suits with masks - and I figure they don't do that for no reason. You should really consider wearing some protection, or you'll regret not having done so in the future.

xsamitt
15th Aug 2010, 17:56
Many thanks, Mr. K.

I'm gonna enjoy using the bow. It's great how this weapon's gotten such an overhaul.

The Bow has always been my fav...I like knowing that If I make a hit usually they will drop after a little while...shot placement isn't so critical like a gun as you bleed out.And I like that concept.:rolleyes:

Shralla
15th Aug 2010, 19:00
I'm not sure about Canada, but in Europe asbestos is regularly cleared out of older houses and the people that do this always wear fully protective suits with masks - and I figure they don't do that for no reason. You should really consider wearing some protection, or you'll regret not having done so in the future.

Dude, you're talking about being inside a building that is infested with asbestos, and your primary purpose in being there is to handle and remove it.

That is not exactly the same as taking ten seconds to knock a brake drum off a car, and put it somewhere safe, especially since it's likely that he doesn't even do it that often!

Jerion
15th Aug 2010, 19:10
Dude, you're talking about being inside a building that is infested with asbestos, and your primary purpose in being there is to handle and remove it.

That is not exactly the same as taking ten seconds to knock a brake drum off a car, and put it somewhere safe, especially since it's likely that he doesn't even do it that often!

Doesn't quite matter that much IIRC, it's inhaling asbestos dust that does the damage and that can come from any number of sources.

Shralla
15th Aug 2010, 19:22
Doesn't quite matter that much IIRC, it's inhaling asbestos dust that does the damage and that can come from any number of sources.

Yeah, but if you're taking ten seconds to knock off a brake drum, you can hold your breath for that long. If you're in a house covered in the stuff, and your only job is physically grabbing the asbestos and carrying it places, then yeah, you're going to need a full suit and you're going to have to wear a mask, because you can't just not breathe while you're in the house!

Romeo
15th Aug 2010, 21:01

That's my logic. Hell, I even go to the trouble of breathing out heavily before inhaling the nice outside air. Can't lie though, when I was a wee lad I inhaled some of the stuff when I was working on my own car. Once again, was working on a clutch, and I was under the car and the transmission moved and I got coated in it, and natural panicked reaction - I inhaled quickly. Since then though I prepare myself by inhaling as much as I can, then taking of the brake drums and not breathing until I'm well-clear. Like I said, usually only have to hold my breath about ten seconds per drum.