PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else planning not to augment?

Pretentious Old Man.
12th Aug 2010, 18:01
DXHR is set during the era of mechanical augmentations. This means that, unlike in DX, if you want to, say, go faster, you will need new legs, etc etc.

Is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking: "OK, I had to have arm augs fitted, so I'll upgrade the arms to the max, but they're not touching any other part of my body"?

Discuss.

Daedalus Ciarán
12th Aug 2010, 18:11
Well, not augmenting would mean no hacking augmentation, and presumably no ability to open locked doors, use computers etc. You'd pretty much be limited to a brute force approach, since I imagine stealth would necessitate going through disused and locked down areas, at least some of which are not going to have keys, or whatever the DXHR equivalent of keys is. To use the gameplay demo as an example, would we be able to get into the warehouse doors without a hacking augmentation? I'd be surprised if the doors were left unlocked.

Basically I think not augmenting would mean you're only able to play an FPS/TPS. Which kinda sucks.

Pretentious Old Man.
12th Aug 2010, 18:15
Well, not augmenting would mean no hacking augmentation, and presumably no ability to open locked doors, use computers etc. You'd pretty much be limited to a brute force approach, since I imagine stealth would necessitate going through disused and locked down areas, at least some of which are not going to have keys, or whatever the DXHR equivalent of keys is. To use the gameplay demo as an example, would we be able to get into the warehouse doors without a hacking augmentation? I'd be surprised if the doors were left unlocked.

Basically I think not augmenting would mean you're only able to play an FPS/TPS. Which kinda sucks.

I, in turn, would be surprised if a hacking augmentation involved anything other than the arms. Which, as I said, are getting fully upgraded because they are already robotic.

Nyysjan
12th Aug 2010, 18:21
well i'll decide on the fly, and will probably try various different approaches (hoping for a game i can play multiple times without being bored), but at first, i'll probably try to avoid too obvious augmentations, max my arms, and see what else i can get without turning into a walking pile of scrapmetal.

pringlepower
12th Aug 2010, 18:32
well i'll decide on the fly, and will probably try various different approaches (hoping for a game i can play multiple times without being bored), but at first, i'll probably try to avoid too obvious augmentations, max my arms, and see what else i can get without turning into a walking pile of scrapmetal.

Less augs means more weapon mods, and I've always wanted a rifle that shot liquid asbestos. Can't afford liquid asbestos if I spent everything on new legs

ThePrecursor
12th Aug 2010, 18:36
I, in turn, would be surprised if a hacking augmentation involved anything other than the arms.

Right, because hacking wouldn't require any knowledge whatsoever...

But seriously, ever thought of a brain implant that helps speeding up the hacking process? How the hell do you imagine arms come into play in hacking a computer, except from handling the keys?

3nails4you
12th Aug 2010, 18:49
I'll definitely do a minumum augmentation play-through at some point, but I will probably use my first run-through for how I would play if it was really me...get the most ridiculously awesome augs I can and overkill EVERYTHING.

Overkill is underrated :D

Pretentious Old Man.
12th Aug 2010, 19:14
Right, because hacking wouldn't require any knowledge whatsoever...

But seriously, ever thought of a brain implant that helps speeding up the hacking process? How the hell do you imagine arms come into play in hacking a computer, except from handling the keys?

I was talking about mechanical locks. (which we know to be completely the type used in DXHR). Sure, you might need a mental implant in addition to the ones currently used to control the arms, but that hardly compares to, say, replacing your leg. Or your eyeball. Or your navel. Etc, etc.

Sadly, hacking has been created from the ashes of computer and lock hacking, but one can only assume motor skills and tools located in the fingers or hands play a big role when dealing with mechanical locking mechanisms.

May I also point out on the "knowledge" side that there are no skills in HR per se.

Cronstintein
12th Aug 2010, 20:27
I thought it was made pretty clear there was only hacking, no mechanical locks.

I would LOVE to be wrong about this but I remember a dev saying in an interview that they made everything hacking to show off their mini game. HUGE mistake IMHO, since that was one of the things in DX1 that was done amazingly well. Possibly slightly imbalanced by nano-chopping later on but at the beginning I thought it was amazing how you could choose your way through doors depending on your skills+items+choice. (<--a perfect RPG cocktail)

EDIT: an as to original topic, only on a 3rd+ playthrough would I go low/no augs.
1st- explorer type - lifting, jumping, hacking, searching
2nd- stealth if I couldn't fit that in the first time with player skill
3rd- aggressive combat guy who threatens everyone and kicks in doors Nino Brown style.
4th- no augs or no killing or perhaps both if it's possible (might be freaking hard though to do both).

Lets all pray the game is good enough to warrant that kind of replay, if the branching is done really well it might be possible, but who knows?

mad_red
12th Aug 2010, 20:54
EDIT: an as to original topic, only on a 3rd+ playthrough would I go low/no augs.
1st- explorer type - lifting, jumping, hacking, searching
2nd- stealth if I couldn't fit that in the first time with player skill
3rd- aggressive combat guy who threatens everyone and kicks in doors Nino Brown style.
4th- no augs or no killing or perhaps both if it's possible (might be freaking hard though to do both).

Lets all pray the game is good enough to warrant that kind of replay, if the branching is done really well it might be possible, but who knows?

Hehe, that's pretty much how I played DX1, the only difference is that I don't try to merge style 1 and 2. My first playthrough is the 'relaxed playthrough', second is "no-kills lite": baton/tranq/stealth. Of course, if the gameplay isn't very good, I might end up skipping the first two playstyles and go straight for the aggro.

As for a "no augs" playthrough, because DX:HR doesn't have skills I doubt it will be very interesting.

Even if hacking can be done with only the arms augmentation, there's an additional problem in that lockpicking, electronics, and computer skills have all been rolled into one - I'm afraid that a DX:HR no-aug playthrough will end up more like a FPS and less RPG than was the case in DX1, because without skills the only thing left to play with are weapons and your Leeloo Dallas Multipass.

Daedalus Ciarán
12th Aug 2010, 21:15
I was talking about mechanical locks. (which we know to be completely the type used in DXHR). Sure, you might need a mental implant in addition to the ones currently used to control the arms, but that hardly compares to, say, replacing your leg. Or your eyeball. Or your navel. Etc, etc.

Sadly, hacking has been created from the ashes of computer and lock hacking, but one can only assume motor skills and tools located in the fingers or hands play a big role when dealing with mechanical locking mechanisms.

May I also point out on the "knowledge" side that there are no skills in HR per se.

There are no mechanical locks. This was established, I think, just before E3 in a couple of interviews. There will only be computerised locks. And judging from the cinematic trailer hacking is done using a connection between the head and the computer being hacked.

Cronstintein
12th Aug 2010, 21:54
My first playthrough is the 'relaxed playthrough', second is "no-kills lite": baton/tranq/stealth.

Mmm, yes, stealth + no kill seems a better fit, I dig :thumb:. No baton sadly, but plenty of face-punching and choke-outs I imagine.

I never tried no kill in the original since I liked the ruthless cyborgs better than the preachy big bro Denton. Maybe I'll give it a shot while waiting for the latest DX.

Did they have any NPC reactions to you not augmenting in the original DX?

Pretentious Old Man.
12th Aug 2010, 22:51
I meant mechanical in the sense that they are operated by machines (i.e. keypads), not mechanical in the sense that they are operated with a key. Computerised describes the security system, whereas the process of drawing the bolt across the door is mechanical.

All semantics, I suppose. I can see how the misunderstanding might arise.

Jerion
12th Aug 2010, 23:33
After my first playthrough, I think I'll experiment with highly limited augmentation just for the challenge. First time I'm gonna be augging up.

Probably not going to bother with that claymore thing, but I'm definitely investing in the arms and hacking stuff. Also the "silent" variation of the ILS seems useful.

mad_red
13th Aug 2010, 01:54
Mmm, yes, stealth + no kill seems a better fit, I dig :thumb:. No baton sadly, but plenty of face-punching and choke-outs I imagine.

I never tried no kill in the original since I liked the ruthless cyborgs better than the preachy big bro Denton. Maybe I'll give it a shot while waiting for the latest DX.

Did they have any NPC reactions to you not augmenting in the original DX?

Hehe stealth and no kills does fit, but play as you like. I thought just it was a cool how much we think alike.

The cyborgs.... yeah, i took a bit of self-control to avoid them instead of blowing them up. First I figured they were human too and all that shyte, but after a few succesful avoids I simply spared them because I started feeling sorry for their poor AI and vision.

As for the no-aug run, I never got very far, probably because I started it too soon after finishing the aggro-playthrough and got bored.

avenging_teabag
13th Aug 2010, 05:23
Is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking: "OK, I had to have arm augs fitted, so I'll upgrade the arms to the max, but they're not touching any other part of my body"?

That is EXACTLY what I'm thinking: the Adam that took shape in my head, there's no freaking way he's going through any of that again. I'm planning to max out the default augs and spend the money on weapons/gadgets/ammo, at least on my first playthrough (later on, of course, I will want to try everything). As for opening locks, duh. There are grenades for that. Stealth is overrated.

Cronstintein
13th Aug 2010, 05:28
As for opening locks, duh. There are grenades for that. Stealth is overrated.

I really hope that's still possible. :cross fingers:

avenging_teabag
13th Aug 2010, 05:32
I really hope that's still possible. :cross fingers:
I know, right?

Jerion
13th Aug 2010, 06:48
To hell with grenades...I wanna be able to shoot locks out.

Or punch them out. Like that poor guy in The Hive's back hall from the leaked gameplay footage.

Back on track!

Pinky_Powers
13th Aug 2010, 07:48
I'm going to upgrade the hell out of my robot man. If I don't clink and clank with every gesture, like some high-powered gizmo, I aint gonna be happy. My knees shall knock and my head shall bobble, and all will look upon me and know that I am AUGMENTED!!

Red
13th Aug 2010, 08:18
Hmmm... So since there will be social augmentations for edge in persuasion etc., I wonder... Maybe you could upgrade your ehm...."tool" for better social interaction with women. :D

Ashpolt
13th Aug 2010, 09:02
Hmmm... So since there will be social augmentations for edge in persuasion etc., I wonder... Maybe you could upgrade your ehm...."tool" for better social interaction with women. :D

I'm just imagining that in the first game...

JC: "I need to talk to Maggie Chow."
MAID: "She not home."
JC: "I really need to talk to her...." *zip*

Enter CHOW

CHOW: "JC Denton! In the fresh!"

Spyhopping
13th Aug 2010, 10:02
I'll probably go for it with augs so long as Adam doesn't resemble inspector gadget lost in a cog factory. Having replacement arms seems a source of upset for him, he'd have to be quite harassed to volunteer to chop off his legs too. I can't imagine taking it to the extreme like Gunther or Barrett, but he is probably going to be under quite some pressure to perform.

Also, nano aug gutter talk- fine. But please don't approach that territory with mechs, it'll only end badly.

Irate_Iguana
13th Aug 2010, 10:49
Adam starts of with quite a few parts already modified. You aren't going to get a reaction out of people if you modify even more. The only reason not to modify would be on a subsequent run purely for the self-imposed challenge.

SageSavage
13th Aug 2010, 11:21
If the game turns out good enough for more than one playthrough, I'll certainly do a "no additional augs"-run as I am not very fond of the whole transhumanism-idea in RL.

pringlepower
14th Aug 2010, 01:49
I assume hacking might involve the hexagon imbedded in his head

luminar
14th Aug 2010, 03:07
Anyone else wonder why that guy in the trailer shoots himself seemingly unwillingly?

Dagganoth
14th Aug 2010, 03:13
neural implant? would make the perfect spy.

Spy: "oh S&%$ i'v been caught"
HQ: "better not let him spill the beans HIT THE KILL SWITCH!"
Spy: "whats my arm doing? OH GOD NOOO"
BANG!

Senka
14th Aug 2010, 05:19
I'm just imagining that in the first game...

JC: "I need to talk to Maggie Chow."
MAID: "She not home."
JC: "I really need to talk to her...." *zip*

Enter CHOW

CHOW: "JC Denton! In the fresh!"

JC: "Well, it's mostly flesh.."

luminar
14th Aug 2010, 17:13
neural implant? would make the perfect spy.

Spy: "oh S&%$ i'v been caught"
HQ: "better not let him spill the beans HIT THE KILL SWITCH!"
Spy: "whats my arm doing? OH GOD NOOO"
BANG!

Absolutely, but is that explained anywhere?

Dagganoth
15th Aug 2010, 01:35
not really it just shown. maybe to show/reveal to adam the "dark" side of augmentation?

atheelogos
15th Aug 2010, 22:08
DXHR is set during the era of mechanical augmentations. This means that, unlike in DX, if you want to, say, go faster, you will need new legs, etc etc.

Discuss.

It's funny you mention this cuz I was just thinking about this very issue the other day. Since we know nano augmentations are only about 2 decades away, would we really want to go balls out crazy on mechanical augments now? I don't know about you but I don't want my Adam to end up like Gunther.

Of course I'll play around in other files sure, but my first play-through is always the one I consider canon and I'm not going to cut off my perfectly capable legs just so I can run faster or jump higher with mechanical ones.

Augments for the arm yes. There is no reason to be conservative in that area since they are already mechanical.

So I will get the blades for sure. You know just in case I have to kill someone. With that said I'm unsure about that Claymore seeing as I'm not looking to kill if I don't have to so I may save the claymore for other playthroughs.

I plan on using a lot of stealth so the Cloak is a must have. Also the Social and hacking are things I'm very interested in. Again part of the reason I will lean towards those is because you don't have to cut a body part off to have those abilities.

So your thoughts?

Pinky_Powers
16th Aug 2010, 05:27
It's funny you mention this cuz I was just thinking about this very issue the other day. Since we know nano augmentations are only about 2 decades away, would we really want to go balls out crazy on mechanical augments now?

Since there is no guarantee that nanite technology will ever function like we see in science fiction, and since 20 years is beyond your average man's patience threshold, I don't see it as too ridiculous to image that people would opt for the mechanical augmentations when they become common-place.

atheelogos
16th Aug 2010, 06:28
Anyone else wonder why that guy in the trailer shoots himself seemingly unwillingly?

He was backhacked. Meaning he was trying to hack a system and an AI or person on the other end caught his intrusion and made him pay for it.

ThePrecursor
16th Aug 2010, 11:35
He was backhacked. Meaning he was trying to hack a system and an AI or person on the other end caught his intrusion and made him pay for it.

Sounds likely.... and awesome. I wonder how this plays out in the game.

Pinky_Powers
16th Aug 2010, 16:27

Every time you fumble a hack you're forced to lodge a bullet in your brain pan.

Red
16th Aug 2010, 17:36
And the splatter is shown in super-slowmo 3rd person with this sound in background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IknAuxUwx7k

That would look COOOOOOOOOL.

atheelogos
16th Aug 2010, 23:42

Well that scene looked very familiar to Ghost in the Shell, which is one of their main inspirations for this game, so if I had to guess I would say it works in a similar way to how it was handled in that show.

atheelogos
16th Aug 2010, 23:43
Every time you fumble a hack you're forced to lodge a bullet in your brain pan.

Well that would probably depend on who is on the other line. The person who back hacks you might not want you dead. They may simple lock you out of the system which seems more probable to me.

Pinky_Powers
17th Aug 2010, 02:41
Well that would probably depend on who is on the other line. The person who back hacks you might not want you dead. They may simple lock you out of the system which seems more probable to me.

Shut your goddamn mouth! It doesn't matter if you're hacking a high-security terminal or a locked broom cupboard. If your fail the hack you shall pour hot lead through your temple. This is the future, you silly bint, things are serious!

atheelogos
17th Aug 2010, 02:51
Shut your goddamn mouth! It doesn't matter if you're hacking a high-security terminal or a locked broom cupboard. If your fail the hack you shall pour hot lead through your temple. This is the future, you silly bint, things are serious!

lol oh my!