PDA

View Full Version : So the 360 version of GoL is going to be released unfinished?

lilhanhan
7th Aug 2010, 00:26
I've just read an article about how the online co-op mode for GoL isn't finished yet but due to the deal with Microsoft, the game is still going to be released on the 18th of August.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light/news/lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-will-be-released-even-though-its-not-finished/a-20100806163636682068/g-20100304121715943093

A patch for the online co-op functionality is going to be released on September 28th which apparently is the release date for the PC and PS3 versions. So 360 gamers what do you think of this news?

Personally I would have preferred it if there was some sort of a delay, but I understand that this isn't really a option due to GoL being the final game in the "Summer of Arcade" event. But hey at least we have the single player campaign early... at least that's something right?

But still it's quite weird to know that we'll be paying for a incomplete game for the time being...

(Oh, and yes I'm expecting PS3 gamers to crack jokes and what not. We get it, you're unhappy about the exclusivity deal and this news is the perfect way to get back at 360 gamers... but all I ask is for you to keep it civilised).

_Love2Raid_
7th Aug 2010, 01:23
It stinks!

I don't really care personally, but I can imagine it won't help the sales on the 360! :o:hmm:

On the other hand, they announced DLC! So I am feeling annoyed and happy at the same time...

sanromano
7th Aug 2010, 03:05
That's not good. They should delay the game. It will be weird to play a co-op focused game without the option for co-op. How people will see a game like that?

josh1122
7th Aug 2010, 04:11
I'm pretty sure the people that were excited for this for 360 now are thinking twice about getting it, at least early on.

It will hurt sales for its release month definitely

bedazzled
7th Aug 2010, 08:27
Sound familiar an unfinished game being released to make some quick money, could be a preview of what will happen with TR9.

josh1122
7th Aug 2010, 08:30
Well people are reading it wrong the game itself is finished but just not the co-op component. So its not like they're releasing an unplayable unfinished game. People are getting the full game just without a co-op feature.

I'm predicting this game gets rated a 5 or 6 just because of no co op from launch on gaming websites

chriss_99
7th Aug 2010, 08:32
Another unfinished game? It's like with Underworld again. That is really disappointing, especially for the X360 owners.
It's like paying for a full game but getting it in parts. Doesn't feel right.

gregor1
7th Aug 2010, 11:59
Well, Eidos releasing an unfinished game... nothing new

Ezio Croft
7th Aug 2010, 12:01
And the price for xbox 360 owners isnt going to be discounted. Why should we buy a half game for the full price? Its Bull*****!!

wizeboy06
7th Aug 2010, 12:23
Really!? No co-op until Sept 28?
I was even partially interested in the game was the online co-op. I guess I have no reason to even demo it until late September. Wait, there's another online co-op/multiplayer game coming out around then? What was it again? Oh yeah, Halo:Reach says "Hi."

Also don't tell people so early that you will have online co-op and then change your mind so soon before launch date.

tombraidergal
7th Aug 2010, 13:36
ah well. i might just get it on ps3 instead. XD

_Love2Raid_
7th Aug 2010, 14:26
And the price for xbox 360 owners isnt going to be discounted. Why should we buy a half game for the full price? Its Bull*****!!
Well you will still have the full game eventually, the patch is free of course. There is no point in waiting with your purchase, because they will never replace the game on the Marketplace with an updated one. The patch is for that. People who can´t download the patch can also not play online co-op, so it won´t matter.

Unless you are willing to wait a long time till it´s Deal of the week.

Danielsun_
7th Aug 2010, 17:15
hmmm no offense to Eidos or anyone working on the game, but i believe i am going to think twice about this now, i was really looking forward to playing the Co Op this august but i may just wait now

beretta
7th Aug 2010, 20:28
that's great !!!!

TF.Denis
8th Aug 2010, 18:52
well..now i don't care if you buy it earlier..you will play it unfinished..but when it's released on ps3 it's gonna be the full version..sounds like xbox is going behind..

LC is Me
8th Aug 2010, 19:31
Didn't they do pretty much the same thing for Resident Evil 5?
I don't see the big deal.
:hmm:

TF.Denis
8th Aug 2010, 19:37
well..i don't see the reason on why they won't let you play online when they said..online co-op and online co-op..it doesn't make sense

LC is Me
8th Aug 2010, 20:06
well..i don't see the reason on why they won't let you play online when they said..online co-op and online co-op..it doesn't make senseYou are gonna be able to play it. You just have to wait for the patch.

With Resident Evil 5, they did the same thing pretty much.
The disc had the multiplayer on it already it, you just had to wait for the release date of the multiplayer content, download it, and then it would be activated on your game. Something like that.

It's almost the same thing, only, unlike RE5, you DON'T have to pay for the patch.

BlueSkiesXXV
8th Aug 2010, 20:43
Snippet from the website:
Of course, the biggest question is why NOT delay the game. These things happen all the time. Well, there’s a solution to that, and it has a dollar sign in front of it. Guardian of Light was set to be the big finale for Microsoft's Summer of Arcade promotion. Can’t mess up the marketing plans, now can we?

Indeed not, but they can torpedo a game before it's even ready for the gaming public. Quite shocking really, considering as co-op is the main focus. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot :(

MaxRaider
8th Aug 2010, 20:50
I don't see the big deal. You can still play 2-player at home until the patch comes out. Then you can have your way with online co-op. Everyone should be happy you're getting to play the game early instead of them delaying it. Although I'm sure there would be still be complaints.

TF.Denis
8th Aug 2010, 22:18
What LC? You mean to update my game I would need to pay? if the online multiplayer patch is going to be an update..shouldn't it be free? And the re5 online was free actualy(at least on Ps3)

LC is Me
8th Aug 2010, 23:44
What LC? You mean to update my game I would need to pay? if the online multiplayer patch is going to be an update..shouldn't it be free? And the re5 online was free actualy(at least on Ps3)
*sigh*
No, you DON'T have to pay for the patch.
They said it was free. I was just using RE 5 as an example. And you had to pay for it on XBL, RE 5's multi.

josh1122
9th Aug 2010, 03:29
Didn't they do pretty much the same thing for Resident Evil 5?
I don't see the big deal.
:hmm:

It's just another reason to complain I suppose. The title of this thread is very misleading

lilhanhan
9th Aug 2010, 10:50
Apologies for the thread name but it was based on the headline of the article.

It is true though if you think about it, as the one thing they've been focusing on in all the gameplay videos and interviews is the co-op mode; so to then say it's not available for a month is a bit bamboozling.

I understand their decision as they had more or less no choice if they wanted to meet the deadline for "Summer of Arcade" but it's just a shame that they needed to remove the one thing they promised us from day one, which is the co-op experience.

bedazzled
9th Aug 2010, 11:23
They can be summed up in one word WANKERS

dark7angel
9th Aug 2010, 13:59
I don't see the big deal. You can still play 2-player at home until the patch comes out. Then you can have your way with online co-op. Everyone should be happy you're getting to play the game early instead of them delaying it. Although I'm sure there would be still be complaints.

I agree! The only thing that will be missing is the on-line co-op, but you can still experience the game in co-op mode with a friend at home!!!

sanromano
9th Aug 2010, 16:42
I hope reviews don't use it to giver lower grades to the game... I'm really seeing this game with good chances to win a best dlc game of the year.
Anyway, I think that the only thing worst than releasing a game half finished and than releasing the other part is releasing it half finished and say its finished.

gregor1
9th Aug 2010, 19:48
This is a bit ridiculous already... first the ps3 /pc owners get upset because they get the game later, and then they release the game unfinished for xbox? WTH!

BlueSkiesXXV
10th Aug 2010, 11:58
This actually works out pretty well for some.
I will be able download the 360 trial version, to see how it plays & then buy the PS3 version in September (my console of choice), to play with my online PSN buddies.

With the lack of online play, PS3 & PC owners are no longer me missing out on much, as this title was designed with co-op in mind. It also sounds like a lot of people only want it for the single player mode, so it is win-win :)

Keir
10th Aug 2010, 21:02
We wanted to make sure that the online co-op in the game is as good as possible, so we took the decision to delay the release of this feature slightly. People will still be able to play the single player version (which is cool) and play with a friend locally.

They can be summed up in one word WANKERS

I understand if you're angry, but this comment isn't helpful to anyone. Also, please don't swear on the forum, although I'm used to it, other people (and the younger members) might be offended. Thanks.

GeorgeMaciver
10th Aug 2010, 22:03
Please folks, keep the guys and gals who make our games out of the firing line as they are on our side and they are not responsible for the business decisions being made :)

BlueSkiesXXV
11th Aug 2010, 16:07
This modern trend of rushing things to market before they are ready does make one appreciate and respect the professional philosophy of companies like ID Software. When asked about release dates, John Carmack used to always say that Game X will be released "when it's done."

Treeble
11th Aug 2010, 16:37
You don't mean Duke Nukem Forever, do you?

BlueSkiesXXV
11th Aug 2010, 20:42
Ouch, it is true that the DN developers also used that line with DNF. Carmack used to often use it too. On a brighter note, it looks like Gearbox might be now be working on Duke Nukem Forever. I hope it doesn't jinx them. COME GET SOME!!!

aussie500
13th Aug 2010, 04:05
Apologies for the thread name but it was based on the headline of the article.

It is true though if you think about it, as the one thing they've been focusing on in all the gameplay videos and interviews is the co-op mode; so to then say it's not available for a month is a bit bamboozling.

I understand their decision as they had more or less no choice if they wanted to meet the deadline for "Summer of Arcade" but it's just a shame that they needed to remove the one thing they promised us from day one, which is the co-op experience.

We never saw any online co-op, no one previewed the online features, all the footage has been of local co-op, all the demos whether public or otherwise were local co-op. Same thing the game is released with on August the 18th. If anything we should have been suspicious that the online mode had not been seen at all, and expected something like this to happen. So no they hardly focused on it, they just told us it would be one of the features. The game is finished (the title is a bit misleading), one of the features needs a bit of extra polish and is delayed for some fans. It could be worse, the entire game could be delayed till September for everyone, or if there had been no Summer of Arcade deal we could all have the game early and all have to wait till the end of September to play online. At least GOL got the extra advertising being promoted as one of the Summer of Arcade titles, and at least some of the fans are going to be happy. Whether they are rubbing their hands with glee at getting to play the game early, or laughing at those Xbox 360 players who are going to waiting just as long as everyone else to play GOL on line.

lilhanhan
13th Aug 2010, 10:27
I've explained why I chose the thread title and to be honest I'm not personally complaining about the lack of online co-op (as I said in both of my posts I understand the decision to keep it out of the game so then they can be part of "Summer of Arcade"). I made the thread to share the news so that fans knew before the release; that way there could be less angry threads about the situation because they already know about it instead or being shocked and surprised when they can't find the in-game option.

As for the co-op previews not being online, I understand that but a lot of people don't or can't play local co-op so we just assumed that the online mode was still there.