PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Personal Blacklist

Gryregaest
2nd Apr 2014, 04:39
Okay, so I've only been in the beta for a few days, but in that time, I've found a startling amount of issues with the player base. Emotional prepubescents, snobby elitists with no social skills, rage cases, and all manner of other assorted human garbage. It sometimes rivals Left 4 Dead or Guns of Icarus in the amount that it shows up. I don't think it's that the community itself is really worse than average, I think it's just the type of gameplay. Like the other aforementioned games, it's heavily interdependent, so when someone is unsatisfied, whether or not they're a jerk is more likely to become immediately apparent.

At least for now, the community is not that large, so the chances of running into one of these again are relatively high. And since matchmaking only chooses the best game based on technical reasons, it can be hard to avoid.

So would it be feasible to implement a sort of "personal blacklist" into matchmaking? Essentially the ability to tag other users to prevent matchmaking from putting you into games that they are already in.

RazielOfNosgoth
2nd Apr 2014, 11:38
Very good point. I'd love to see this implemented. http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/images/icons/icon3.png

PencileyePirate
5th Apr 2014, 07:07
No offense, but the very idea seems like an excuse to act like one of those "snobby elitists with no social skills" you describe.

I was annoyed by some players' behavior at first, but I've since stopped caring, and it's made the game a lot more fun (even if we're losing badly and someone's complaining.) Why not just ignore the adolescents and play the game?

RazielOfNosgoth
5th Apr 2014, 08:04
I beg to differ. Having the option can't possibly harm anyone or anything. It's a choice, like any other you make in the real world. You get to choose the people you play sports with, don't you? This is quite the same, there's no harm in that.

But I do see your point, I've learned to care less each day about such remarks and attitude in a match. However, not having to deal with such players on my team would be a great relief nevertheless.

Just my two cents. :thumb:

Kajirou
5th Apr 2014, 09:07
Wait, Guns of Icarus? That is by far one of the nicest gaming communities there is.

Personally the game does infuriate me at times, but I find that fun and I usually keep it to myself. It's mostly the lack of coordination with the team combined with crashing after single match.

Although the sheer level of irony in the OP is hilarious.

Khalith
5th Apr 2014, 11:25
The idea for a personal list of players that you put on ignore to prevent you from being matched up with them has been discussed before several times. I personally am in favor of it, there are a few toxic people I would be glad to never play with again, while those individuals are few and far between (this is one of the nicer communities I've dealt with) the thought of not having to deal with them again makes me very happy.

Gryregaest
6th Apr 2014, 01:53
I wasn't aware that not liking *******s made me an elitist. I thought it was standard for most people. But if that's the case, then I'm comfortable with that.

And yes, I can and do ignore the more obnoxious people I run into. I have no choice if I want to keep playing. This is, however, a very team-oriented game. It puts a strain on the ability to cooperate when another member or members of the team have done everything in their power to earn one's contempt.

I'm not asking for the nature of people to change here, for people to be penalized for anything, or to be guaranteed not to run into unpleasant people. I would just like to have a modicum of control over repeating instances of being matched with particularly malignant individuals.

And if they want to blacklist me for not being skilled or serious enough at a game I play for fun, all the better.

And I must respectfully disagree about Guns of Icarus. It does have some nice people, but I've also run into a great many people who believe that pilot=king, or otherwise do nothing but complain quite vocally over voice chat about other people's play style or skill at the game. I'm very hesitant to play random games of it anymore.

Viridian24
6th Apr 2014, 02:27
I'm all for the idea of having the ability to block players. Some people literally have nothing constructive to say, or add to a conversation. The best course of action is to just ignore them. Blocking them just does this for you.

cmstache
6th Apr 2014, 03:14
The issue with blocking players is that it gets ridiculous once people start blocking for trivial reasons (and they will) this results in matches being almost impossible to fill. I think a block list needs to be SMALL (10 max), for everything else there should be a mute.

Khalith
6th Apr 2014, 06:51
The issue with blocking players is that it gets ridiculous once people start blocking for trivial reasons (and they will) this results in matches being almost impossible to fill. I think a block list needs to be SMALL (10 max), for everything else there should be a mute.

I don't know if blocking that many would have that much of an effect, but I would be perfectly happy if the function just muted their mic and made their text invisible to you. I can deal with playing with them or against them if I can't see or hear anything they have to say.

PencileyePirate
6th Apr 2014, 07:30
I wasn't aware that not liking *******s made me an elitist. I thought it was standard for most people. But if that's the case, then I'm comfortable with that.

Wanting to completely separate yourself from others because you dislike their behavior sounds like both elitist and antisocial behavior to me. I'm sorry if that offends you, it's just how I see it.

I don't know if blocking that many would have that much of an effect, but I would be perfectly happy if the function just muted their mic and made their text invisible to you. I can deal with playing with them or against them if I can't see or hear anything they have to say.

I think this would be OK, and is far more reasonable than a blacklist that affects matchmaking.

Viridian24
6th Apr 2014, 08:08
Wanting to separate yourself from others because you dislike their behavior sounds like both elitist and antisocial behavior to me.

Really? Sounds like logic to me.
Problem: "you dislike their behavior"
Solution: "separate yourself [from the offensive behavior]"

I don't know about you, but I would prefer to not have to put up with negative attitudes and behaviors. Call me antisocial or elitist, too, if it pleases you xD

Kajirou
6th Apr 2014, 17:24
I'd semi-agree with cmstache. I haven't run into actual trolls in the game, although I have run into a lot of bad players, and a lot of players who like to point out how bad they are. Then there's the bad players that like to complain about the rest of their team. Pretty standard stuff.

There's really no reason to flat out block people, because that system would be abused endlessly. "They're not doing exactly what I want! *block*" "They're saying that what I'm doing isn't working! *block*" "I wanted to be the only sentinel! *block*". It would get out of hand pretty fast. A mute system is better, because then you don't have to hear them, and they can try to verbally abuse you all they want without ever knowing, and the game goes on.

As for the GoIO thing, all I can say is wow. And then look at you before shaking my head and sighing.

Gryregaest
6th Apr 2014, 17:54
To clarify, I'm not talking about blocking people from joining with you, I'm talking about a matchmaking filter. If someone you don't like joins your game, you have to either leave or deal. The problem is that because it is solely matchmaking based, leaving and trying again is likely to stick you in the same game again. Because it would be based on your own selected preferences, if you were to abuse the system, the person it makes it harder for is you.

Cmstache makes a point though, if everyone abused it and had blocked players in the hundreds, it would make lobby compatibility difficult, so I'm not averse to having a cap on it. When I said a "startling amount", I only meant to imply that it was more than I care for, not that it's a large portion of the playerbase. Having a few available blacklist slots would be plenty.

I'm sorry that I've had a different experience than you with Guns of Icarus, Kajirou, and that that makes you...disappointed? I think? It's not really clear.

LOFO1993
6th Apr 2014, 18:00
It would be more than enough to be able to block what they write. Mute button for microphone is already there I think; adding another command for written messages shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Viridian24
6th Apr 2014, 18:58
Cmstache makes a point though, if everyone abused it and had blocked players in the hundreds, it would make lobby compatibility difficult, so I'm not averse to having a cap on it.

I say no cap, and here's why:
If someone is literally blocking people in the hundreds, then it would take forever for them to find a lobby. This is good; maybe they could use that time to think about what they're doing wrong to make them blacklist so many people so frequently. If they abuse the system, it's kind of their fault if they have trouble getting into games.

Poppios
6th Apr 2014, 19:19
Just give everyone nicknames. Makes annoying players a lot less frustrating.

PencileyePirate
7th Apr 2014, 00:25
To clarify, I'm not talking about blocking people from joining with you, I'm talking about a matchmaking filter. If someone you don't like joins your game, you have to either leave or deal.

Well this somewhat changes my opinion. I was operating under the assumption that such a blacklist would prevent matchmaking from placing others into games with you; that certainly would be a rather anti-social functionality.

However, your clarifications seem far more reasonable.

cmstache
7th Apr 2014, 00:26
Indeed, he's looking for a "mutelist" not a "blocklist."