PDA

View Full Version : Eidos, it's up to you now.

adrift
31st Jul 2010, 05:44
Maybe this is just in my own thoughts, but I think PC gaming is being reborn.

Consider that game design and technology has become so streamlined that developers are now in greater control of the art direction we see in today's games. no longer limited by the incapabilities of former hardware (although many game designers did very well) - developers can now realize their visions down to minute details and more fully communicate the visual qualities of their game's world.

there are problems that stand in the way of this renaissance, such as porting and piracy, of course.. but it seems that developers are taking increased measures against them.

what i'd really like to call attention to is how alot of classic PC games are now being revisioned - at an exceptionally high quality that only today's technology can produce. think about what fallout 3 and starcraft II have done for their series. these games not only revolutionize their franchises but bring to the table an incredibly high level of polish and craft mostly unseen in many contemporary games.

and now.. the third installment of deus ex is upon us. eidos montreal must realize that this third installment has to meet these new standards - and, for the record, i'd like to say that i have no doubts as of yet. but if dx:hr doesn't meet the quality that these re-envisioned classics have.. the franchise won't join their ranks in the PC game canon. i think the deus ex series rightly deserves a spot there.

edit: - diablo III is also in the works, as well as a forth installment of the thief series.

maikaal
31st Jul 2010, 07:03
think about what fallout 3 and starcraft II have done for their series. these games not only revolutionize their franchises but bring to the table an incredibly high level of polish and craft mostly unseen in many contemporary games.

I hadn't read so much wrong in 2 sentences in a long time. I think we're all tired of bashing F3, but calling it part of the series, that's something new, congratulations. And Starcraft 2 - lazy ass blizzards take a game from 1998, graphically update it, and you call that a revolution?

tartarus_sauce
31st Jul 2010, 08:12
...starcraft II have done for their series

You mean spending eleven years and then making the same game over again with a few new units? Blizzard is NOT the place to look for innovation, because that's not what Blizzard does. Blizzard is the Apple of the PC gaming world: they don't invent anything new, they just polish existing mechanics to a mirror shine.

I'm actually supremely disappointed in what Blizzard did with SC2. Instead of doing something interesting, they just put a new coat of paint on the old SC and tossed an erector set to the modding community.

Sabretooth1
31st Jul 2010, 08:13
think about what fallout 3... these games not only revolutionize their franchises but bring to the table an incredibly high level of polish and craft mostly unseen in many contemporary games.

I advise you gather your belongings and run as fast as your legs can carry you because believe me, you'll need every second of a head start for this one.

the franchise won't join their ranks in the PC game canon. i think the deus ex series rightly deserves a spot there.

Alright that does it, BRING OUT THE HATCHETS.

Hertzila
31st Jul 2010, 12:25
The Fallout 3 hate has been said, so I don't need to repeat it.

...these new standards...

What new standards? AFAIK we are still waiting for a game that's better or at least as good as Deus Ex 1. Are there other standards this game should pass?

TrickyVein
31st Jul 2010, 13:41
Good comments, OP.

Games today are certainly artistically driven and quite beautifully realized in most instances visually. I'd like to draw people's attention to Bounty Arms (http://bounty-arms.blogspot.com/) - a game in development that I think fuses classic side-scrolling gameplay with modern graphics and tech. :)

Back to your post, this DX title I think will determine whether or not any more DX games are made (by Eidos anyway).

Oh, and no one can deny that FO3 resurrected/revitalized an essentially dead title and made it more popular than it ever has been. If you can't see that, too bad.

adrift
31st Jul 2010, 14:28
What new standards? AFAIK we are still waiting for a game that's better or at least as good as Deus Ex 1. Are there other standards this game should pass?

well, certainly of course. my intuition tells me that Deus Ex: HR will meet that standard. but if you've played Fallout 3, Starcraft II, you get a sense of how much time was spent crafting the game. fallout 3, for me, was virtually flawless - well directed story, hours-upon-hours of gameplay, superb sound design, effective visuals, and streamlined coding ( i don't remember any bugs or hitches when i played the game. ) it's nice that these classics are being "rebooted" in an exceptionally careful manner. ... alot of games today are rushed out, featuring uninspired ideas, bugs, awful porting, and unsatisfying gameplay. it's a disappointing turn for video games. but in any media, such as books and movies, you have the classics and the contemporary. the contemporary can be good, some can be instant classics too, but there's also alot of general fluff out there. the classics you can never do wrong with. i think what we are seeing now is revisits to the classic games - a neo-classical genre, i suppose. the classic game mechanics all worked so well, so of course they would work again - but now they can be brought to entirely different level of immersion with today's technology.

i'm not saying that DX:HR should be like fallout 3 or starcraft II, they're different game. i'm just saying DX:HR development should be handled the same way they were - using skills and technology to craft and engineer a title worthy of the DX name.

TrickyVein
31st Jul 2010, 14:48
^^Ok, this is a little suspicious now. I wasn't sure at first, but why mention that FO3 had "streamlined coding?" No bugs/crashes for you? Really? No, not really.

I'm beginning to doubt this thread.

Shralla
31st Jul 2010, 16:05
Sounds like nobody in here has seen anything at all about the Starcraft 2 editor.

Nyysjan
31st Jul 2010, 17:16
Fallout 3 flawless? well directed story? effective visuals?
did we play the same game?

pringlepower
31st Jul 2010, 18:10
^^Ok, this is a little suspicious now. I wasn't sure at first, but why mention that FO3 had "streamlined coding?" No bugs/crashes for you? Really? No, not really.

I'm beginning to doubt this thread.

Now don't be jealous, the bastard was just INCREDIBLY lucky. As for me my hard-earned power armour took a vacation to Barbados right before I had to fight a behemoth so... you lucky bastard.

It wasn't a bad game though (without going into NMA FLAME FLAME FLAME). Did the 50s thing better than the earlier Fallouts imo.

Romeo
31st Jul 2010, 23:24
This is ignoring the fact there's literally dozens of threads pertaining to this exact topic, this belongs in the Hive.

LOCKDOWN.