PDA

View Full Version : Soul Reaver - Turel - unseen face and body artwork, textured boss model.

Divine Shadow
27th Jul 2010, 01:24
Lead concept artist Arnold Ayala (http://dogma5150.wordpress.com/crystal-dynamics-1995-to-1999/) has these images of Turel buried in his portfolio. Some are new, some we've seen but in a much lower quality.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/mappster71/turel3.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/mappster71/turel2.jpg

The following two are labelled as a "boss" but we are not told which of the brethren it is. Despite a very-similar eye-texture to Zephon, the body-type seems to conform closely to the Turel artwork. I think these are the Turel boss model, with either a re-use, temporary-use or just plain similarity to the the Zephon eye/face texture.

He looks more sinister than his Defiance appearance, but less bestial I feel.

Sam_kain
27th Jul 2010, 12:40
Turel looks great in his 1st few pics, great work mate, keep finding more of these

ReaverofCupcakes
27th Jul 2010, 15:49
He looks almost like a cross between Dumah and Kain. Which kinda made sense if he was to be the second to last boss in SR1. Keep up the good work Shadow!

The_Hylden
27th Jul 2010, 19:36
I think Turel in these really reminds me of the head bad Gremlin in the movies, Gremlins, in the face, lol

Those green brackets look like they are showing the actual space that would have been used for his actual ears, once Zephon's head was replaced there, along with horns, or raised ridges on the shoulders, and thicker clawed feat.

Again, like the Zephon stuff, I love the sinewy nature of the artistry, seen most beautifully on the hand there. I believe this and Shadowman -- another great game of this era with very similar ideas implemented -- both used/studied actual cadavers, or medical books, when creating textures for their undead creatures. It really reminds me of art in a medical book of muscles and flesh and bone here :)

RainaAudron
28th Jul 2010, 17:17
I have never seen Turel´s concept in full colour, awesome find! I exported texture sets from SR1 and after seeing other concepts of Turel I found this:

any ideas what´s Turel´s image doing in the Abyss texture set? and I compared the earlier concept with later one - notice the lack of horns on the upper one.

Shrykull_the1st
29th Jul 2010, 14:37
So cool...

Paradoks
31st Jul 2010, 23:29
Two things I noticed - one is the description: "Full grown adult". The second are the chains at his back. Both would actually point more towards the Tomb Guardian than Turel. Or it may mean that this was the original adult Turelim design before it was "promoted" to Turel. /* Edit: Or the first and second concept do not represent the same character. There are some differences - like the bone in the shoulder, horns and (probably) hair in the second picture. */

I think Turel in these really reminds me of the head bad Gremlin in the movies, Gremlins, in the face, lol
I tried to imagine him talking with Stripe's / Mohawk's voice (both were voiced by Frank Welker by the way). And the scary part is that it actually fits :).

Shadowman -- another great game of this era with very similar ideas implemented
And into Asylum, like a great black engine roaring to eternity.
If only that game had a map. Took me three tries before I actually finished it.

any ideas what´s Turel´s image doing in the Abyss texture set?
Is that texture actually used in the game? It may have been just used as a "generic scary face", and put there without much thought (or because Turel was out of the game anyway), similarly to Kain's family crest symbol in Defiance.

blincoln
3rd Aug 2010, 22:45
Those green brackets look like they are showing the actual space that would have been used for his actual ears, once Zephon's head was replaced there, along with horns, or raised ridges on the shoulders, and thicker clawed feat.

AFAIK, the green lines show the polygons that the texture would be mapped onto. It's very common for the texture to not fill an entire polygon for things like ears, capes, etc. Anywhere that the texture is used to represent something with non-polygonal edges.

I'm also reasonably sure that that is the final head, and while it looks kind of like Zephon's, it's not a copy-and-paste that was going to be replaced later.

blincoln
3rd Aug 2010, 22:46
Also, I keep meaning to mention this, but since the image in Raina's texture is greyscale, I think it was just a placeholder in the texture file, rather than something that was ever going to be used in-game. Daniel Cabuco did that with pictures of his car and whatnot in Defiance - reserving the RAM for use by the real textures once they were finished.

RainaAudron
4th Aug 2010, 06:29
thanks for explaining blinc :)

The_Hylden
4th Aug 2010, 06:37
Yes, thanks for that :)

Paradoks
6th Aug 2010, 22:15
I decided to check if that texture was in game. Apparently Turel is still present in SR1. He just has been thrown into Abyss like his older brother :D.
Abyss (http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/7816/kain22010080623555768.png)
(I'm sorry for low resolution).