PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the PC demo

nodoctors
26th Jul 2010, 19:03
Loving the game as expected, and I have plenty of positive things to say, but I'm going to cut right to the chase on the issues that should be looked at for the PC community.

First and foremost, you have got to let us turn off mouse smoothing and/or mouse acceleration. There is a noticeable lag in mouse movement that didn't even exist in the original Kane and Lynch. I'm not sure how or why it got placed into the sequel, but it's extremely noticeable and takes away from the experience. I want accurate 1:1 movement just like in the original. Hopefully I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Second, I wish the game would be push to talk, or had a mute button(maybe I missed it? I hope I did). So far I've ran into multiple people with open mics and it would cause unbearably loud static and noise reverb for the entire length of the matches, and I'm convinced they're just doing it on purpose at this point to be loud and annoying as hell.

Further issues will be added when I come across any.

Shingahai
26th Jul 2010, 19:09
I agree about the Push to Talk button, its a must really, otherwise multiplayer games will be a living hell.
Other than that, I've noticed a weird bug in multiplayer in which characters run, but you don't see the running animation, instead, the characters are moving without moving their legs or making any other movement, which is odd :)
other than that, not much else to say, I'm sold :D

bigjj2010
26th Jul 2010, 19:15
This game is very very cool IOI do a very good job , i like the controll , the gameplay , multiplayer , graphics , sound its a perfect game
thanks IOI for this great game
i wait the full version :D
edit: i see a difference between the pc and the console version , in the console version in dark is appear little dots and in the pc version in dark appears pixels :D

SovietAmerika
26th Jul 2010, 19:17
i love it,wish the sp part was longer but still great
The music in the menus is awesome,the menus themselves are some of the best designed I have seen

Only complaints are that xbox live party mode is disabled,i was looking forward to getting my friends into this game and playing with them,guess we will have to resort to searching at the same time
But I love the demo anyways,you guys have me sold on the game and a few of my friends :D

Kent-45
26th Jul 2010, 19:18
Just played through the story mode on single player. It leaves off exactly where the PS3 version ends, after you blow the tanks in the kitchen across from the movie store.

Things I noticed....

The dialogue is much better than the first game, but still has some awkward exchanges. Things where Kane will say something softly, and then Lynch will reply in SHOUTING VOICE. It's a little disjointed at times, but it works. Kane, just like in the first game, actually issues most of the "commands" ... he's always yelling something out.... and it gets a little repetitive. In long firefights, he'll often say "RELOADING" like 50 times... Nothing game breaking, but something to think about.

Kane sounds very softspoken, even when he's yelling in this. Lynch ranges from overly mellow to "OMG FAKE ANGER" when he shouts... and is it just me, or does Lynch sound like he's in some kind of wind tunnel when he talks? I don't know if it's intentional or not, but it's something I noticed from the first game. I think it's some kind of filter to make voices sound farther away than they really are.

The level design is absolutely... amazing. There really are no words. Even on my dated PC hardware, this game ran VERY well at 1920x1200 with shadows turned off. I was very surprised. Everything looks very high res this time. Shanghai is a gritty, nasty place, and this game really encompasses that. Kane and Lynch are pretty detailed too.

and I want to be clear here... Kane *does* have his The7 tattoo on his wrist. It's clearly there.

The enemy AI has been toned down a bit. I started out on "Easy" mode just to get my bearings, and the AI did pretty well. Unfortunately, the AI easily slips into the Kane & Lynch 1 style "turret mode" where you're almost playing whack-a-mole waiting for the cops to pop up and shoot at you. I found myself wishing for a push blade or some kind of melee attack to take down enemies at close range.

Kane actually holds his own throughout the entire game, and he always keeps his distance from you. If you take cover on a wall with him, he'll automatically find another spot so that he's never "too close to you"... Kane did kill a few cops, and took some damage... but never seems to be knocked down or killed, despite being shot numerous times.

The AI even on "Easy" is kinda cheap with their accuracy again too. If you run out in the open for even a fraction of a moment you're gonna get hit... multiple times. Strafing, running, or doing anything like that does almost nothing to avoid getting shot. You basically have to cling to your cover like nobody's business. Again, this was how Kane & Lynch 1 was... so no complaints from me. It's nothing new.

Lynch is also clearly insane. His bad habit of muttering homicidal **** to himself has returned full force, and he did it for about a minute straight while I was in the movie rental place, fending off cops. The bullets and background noise overpowers some of the characters dialogue though... so all I heard was like

"Mmmmbbbff mmbbffgf ******* liars mbbbbbffff mmmmmm"

The cover system works a lot better this time around. I liked it... although I found myself running up against walls trying to stick myself. It's hard to get out of the mindset that I need to push a button to enter cover mode. I suppose that's something I'll get over in time.

Overall, I loved the demo. I love the style, and it's really Kane & Lynch the way they were supposed to be. The multiplayer had some hangups (actually managed to crash my system when the Host disconnected and closed the game for all of us) but it's really awesome. I gotta commend IOInteractive on this one... this is a polished and complete game.

my OMFG BIG GRIPE TIME....

The ONE thing that absolutely did not work for me was the camera shaking. I'm sorry guys, I don't want to sound cliche... but it's really bad. When Lynch run, I feel like I'm in a fish-bowl sloshing around. I understand why they put it in there... and I respect IOInteractive's design choice... but I can't imagine playing through the entire game with that camera shake. It's just too much for me. I checked the options briefly and saw no way to turn it off... maybe I need to give it another look.

and my second and only gripe.... ammo! I'm kinda disappointed that when you run out of ammo, and have none to pick up... you're basically a sitting duck. Kane can't give you any of his, and all the game tells you to do is to "Press O to find ammo" ... Granted, the game litters ammo all over the place, but I guess since I like to take it slower than most, I found myself running out of ammo a lot and not having any. After which it then became a... Get-Kane-to-kill-someone-so-I-can-keep-playing type deal... and I guess that didn't really feel all that fun.

Ultimately though, awesome demo... awesome all the way. If you're on steam and wanna play Fragile Alliance hit me up, cause I'm gonna rock the servers as soon as I can.

Sabreee
26th Jul 2010, 19:29
Nice graphics,nice gameplay and nice sound-track :). The game has to fix some bux,through.

Cyniad
26th Jul 2010, 20:10
I'm really enjoying the demo, everything fine and amazing except a bit of cops(AI) and players lag in multiplayer.
CAN'T WAIT!

And of course, when I saw the highway background with that song...incredible.

TAPETRVE
26th Jul 2010, 20:22
Seriously, you run out of ammo? Time to quote the Godfather: "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." The first thing to do when starting the demo is luring a SWAT to your place and kill it with a single blindfired blast from my shotgun, then take his assault rifle. Blindfire works incredibly well with enemies that are approaching your position believing that you are suppressed. Just make sure they're close enough to compensate the bullet spread and don't even think of popping out from cover, as they will stop immediately and shoot you right in the head. You'll be virtually swimming in ammo in no time.

YoungZer0
26th Jul 2010, 20:37
The demo is - as expected - fantastic.

Two problems with multiplayer:

I enter the Multiplayer and all the mics seem to be on? I don't even use a mic but it still shows me with one.

I finished the first round with a million and the game crashed. Finished the a second round, crashed.

TheMoD
26th Jul 2010, 20:43
I agree with the talk button thing, some people have really really crappy mics...

joe the janitor
26th Jul 2010, 20:50
The ONE thing that absolutely did not work for me was the camera shaking. I'm sorry guys, I don't want to sound cliche... but it's really bad. When Lynch run, I feel like I'm in a fish-bowl sloshing around. I understand why they put it in there... and I respect IOInteractive's design choice... but I can't imagine playing through the entire game with that camera shake. It's just too much for me. I checked the options briefly and saw no way to turn it off... maybe I need to give it another look.

There is a steady cam option http://img295.imageshack.us/i/steadycam.jpg/

zukeft
26th Jul 2010, 21:14
You guys actually got the demo to run? I'm really eager to try it out but it always crashes upon launch.

michater
26th Jul 2010, 21:40
Go Steam > Settings > Voice and choose Push-to-talk PLEASE for all other multiplayer users' sake!

StyrmanKarlsson
26th Jul 2010, 22:07
MULTIPLAYER:

1. Mute players. Add Push to talk.
2. Ingame chat.
3. Admin: Kick/ban players.
4. Join game in progress.
5. Start multiplayer with 1 or 2 players.
6. dedicated servers.
7. Set AI-skills.
8. fix crash to desktop for win 7 after 2-3 rounds it crash.
9. buy menu need tweeking could be mady more easy to use.
10. all key config get reset if crash to desktop. fix.

michater
26th Jul 2010, 22:18
Same here, Win 7 x64 randomly crashes in multiplayer without any error. Is there anyway to report a bug, crash log etc?

Unpaid Intern
26th Jul 2010, 22:22
The dialogue is much better than the first game, but still has some awkward exchanges. Things where Kane will say something softly, and then Lynch will reply in SHOUTING VOICE.

LOL This Lynch dude is completely out of his mind :D

Nice review by the way. I was curious about how the PC demo handles.

OutOfExile
26th Jul 2010, 22:23
MULTIPLAYER:

2. Ingame chat.
6. dedicated servers.
7. Set AI-skills.

This is pretty much everything I want added, and the ability to see ping by your name in the scoreboard.

Shinrei
27th Jul 2010, 10:19
I'm loving the demo so far...no disconnects in MP and aiming with mouse is definitely better as in the first K&L....everthing is kinda smooth.

But please IO dont go for those black strips if you are not playing in 16:9... I swear there are a lot of people out there who play in 16:10 and also think those black strips are kinda annoying. ;)

This is the only contra on K&L2 so far... now the hard part comes...wait till 20th of august :/

UhUh
27th Jul 2010, 11:27
I'm loving the demo so far...no disconnects in MP and aiming with mouse is definitely better as in the first K&L....everthing is kinda smooth.

But please IO dont go for those black strips if you are not playing in 16:9... I swear there are a lot of people out there who play in 16:10 and also think those black strips are kinda annoying. ;)

This is the only contra on K&L2 so far... now the hard part comes...wait till 20th of august :/

What black strips? I played it in 16:10 and didn't see any.

Shinrei
27th Jul 2010, 13:21
What black strips? I played it in 16:10 and didn't see any.

If you play i.e. with 1680x1050 you got black strips on top and bottom, like if you are watching a 16:9 ratio movie on your monitor... it's only a minor thing ingame but quiet annoying. Which resolution are you playing cause everybody I know who is playing in 16:10 got those strips?! Oo

UhUh
27th Jul 2010, 13:43
If you play i.e. with 1680x1050 you got black strips on top and bottom, like if you are watching a 16:9 ratio movie on your monitor... it's only a minor thing ingame but quiet annoying. Which resolution are you playing cause everybody I know who is playing in 16:10 got those strips?! Oo

Yeah, you're right, definetly there...didn't notice :keir:

Falkenwut
27th Jul 2010, 16:05
My turn to comment about the game :D
Firstly: Loved the menu screens... I know it's not much, but I enjoyed watching "buffering" instead of loading and the fact that the menu alternates between different graphic rendered repetitive clips. However the small pics when loading the gameplay was a bit off... Personally I would have made a loading through a camera sort of thing....

Anyways, next up is the gameplay... IT feels very far from the original Kane and Lynch, which is not a good nor a bad thing at all. Shows that you guys at IOI have been working on the engine. This shows more on the AI, they got much better aim this time, But I haveto agree with kent in the "wack-a-mole" method they take cover... then again.. I wouldn't have done it any better.

Personally I also enjoyed the "hit-markers", the fact that it shows where i'm hitting, pretty convenient. Also enjoyed Lynch's mumbling in the DVD store. Got a moment of hearing him clearly mumbling when to shoot, not to shoot, etc... He's trying really hard to focus... loved it.AWESOME atmosphere, everywhere feels like the Shanghai it's supposed to be :D you guys at IOI always worked wonders with atmosphere! Other than that, awesome breakable enviroments, awesome gameplay, awesome camera effects and the down not dead mechanic puts me more into the game *thumbs up*

Now unfortunately come the cons. First off where some textures, particularly lynch's hair... It's not really a big deal, but feels a little out-dated, however this makes the game less demanding and more enjoyable, so I guess I'm going to let that pass. Some of the AI doesn't seem to work the way I expected it to. In the backstreets of shanghai I was pointing the gun at the public... apparently only 1/2 the street seems concered about the fact that a bearded american is running with his sweat-filled t-shirt pointing his gun at them.

That's all I noticed from 1 run through the demo, But I enjoyed it very much, Awesome work IOI, keep up the good work :D.

NOTE: The wimpering policeman is the same voice-actor as the chinese guard from Hitman 3, isn't it? Please confirm anyone... I enjoy pin-pointing voice-actors.

joe the janitor
27th Jul 2010, 20:34
and my second and only gripe.... ammo! I'm kinda disappointed that when you run out of ammo, and have none to pick up... you're basically a sitting duck. Kane can't give you any of his, and all the game tells you to do is to "Press O to find ammo" ... Granted, the game litters ammo all over the place, but I guess since I like to take it slower than most, I found myself running out of ammo a lot and not having any. After which it then became a... Get-Kane-to-kill-someone-so-I-can-keep-playing type deal... and I guess that didn't really feel all that fun.
Ive actually never run out of ammo in the campaign. Mainly because I have counter strike syndrome where I constantly reload, and NEVER WASTE BULLETS.

TAPETRVE
27th Jul 2010, 20:51
First off where some textures, particularly lynch's hair...

His hair looks looks a bit flat, but it moves according to the laws of physics, so at least it doesn't feel like a paper bag put on Lynch's head.

In the backstreets of shanghai I was pointing the gun at the public... apparently only 1/2 the street seems concered about the fact that a bearded american is running with his sweat-filled t-shirt pointing his gun at them.

They're reacting a bit slow, but some civilians were even smiling and waving when I aimed my gun at them - Maybe they're supposed to believe there's a film shooting going on :D .

cowman
29th Jul 2010, 04:05
MULTIPLAYER:

2. Ingame chat.
6. dedicated servers. <--- would be hella nice, people hosting with 56k is a bad idea.

7. Set AI-skills.
8. fix crash to desktop for win 7 after 2-3 rounds it crash. <-- amen.

^^
Without that I will not buy this game. The ONLY way to circumvent this right now is to turn speech volume all the way down (so you can't hear the retards on the mic) and use ventrilo or teamspeak with your friends. That's not a fix.

TheMoD
29th Jul 2010, 14:21
First and foremost, you have got to let us turn off mouse smoothing and/or mouse acceleration. There is a noticeable lag in mouse movement that didn't even exist in the original Kane and Lynch. I'm not sure how or why it got placed into the sequel, but it's extremely noticeable and takes away from the experience. I want accurate 1:1 movement just like in the original. Hopefully I'm not the only one experiencing this.

are you sure? It seems 1:1 to me and usually I notice those kinds of delays, incase you have vsync activated turn it off! Just like in most games it also causes a slight delay in Kane and Lynch

Frob
30th Jul 2010, 19:56
MULTIPLAYER:

2. Ingame chat.
6. dedicated servers.
7. Set AI-skills.

With regards to 4. I can't necessarily agree with people joining a game in progress for this type of game. 10. Everything gets reset including volume after a crash (I don't think I've ever exited the game on purpose, it always crashes first so I don't know if it's an issue when exiting gracefully). Everything else though I can completely agree with, the microphone issue being number one, that really is a huge problem and will cost the game many sales. Lag can also be a problem but that can be fixed through future patches.