PDA

View Full Version : Blood Omen 2 art unearthed - Unseen Hylden Castes, Mill sketches and Mecha Umah (wat)

Divine Shadow
25th Jul 2010, 19:03
These images are from the online portfolio (http://sxross.com/?paged=2) of Blood Omen 2 Art Director Steven A Ross.

I don't recall seeing any of them before. Firstly, some concept art of the Hylden General, and the Hylden Castes. I think the General in particular looks a lot more menacing than his appearance in the game.

From the art, it looks as like four Hylden castes were originally concieved, along the lines of: Warrior, Engineer, Sorcerer and Winged. I'm not certain, but the skeletal Hylden looks like it is being conjured from the Demon Dimension into Nosgoth.

Next, some enviornmental sketches of the Canyon Mill. The artist explains he created them to help a colleague define the space needed for a puzzle.

There's a really nice medieval feel here, takes me back to the pleastant rural world of Blood Omen and Soul Reaver 2. Feels more continuous with the rest of the series.

Next up, a Kain armour concept art. I'm not certain if this has been seen before or not, so included it anyway:

Finally, well, you might want to brace yourselves on this one. Really, sit down. From Steven Ross's portfolio I present: Mecha Umah.

Yeah. There is precious little information given as to the context of this madness. No name or game is given, but the resemblance is too much to ignore. I suspect that it is a render of whimsy, and not representative of anything that was meant to be in Blood Omen 2.

Though given some of the liberties Blood Omen 2 takes with the series, it really would be the icing on the cake.

FearGhoul
25th Jul 2010, 19:41
I really doubt that's supposed to be Umah. It's probably something from an earlier project, or something he made as an example of his artwork to pass around to prospective employers, and he just reused the basic look of her for Umah.

Raziel'sRevenge
26th Jul 2010, 03:57
lol I have my doubts as to whether or not that's supposed to be Umah as well, but from now on I won't be able to see her without picturing her as a gun totting bad-arse!

Paradoks
26th Jul 2010, 07:31
I have seen most of these floating around, but I'm not sure how long these have been available on artist's page (Windows says I saved it on my hard drive on June 6 ;)). And I'm sure I have seen the hylden at least a year ago somewhere.

And I am also quite sure that "Mecha Umah" was not meant to be Umah. Steven Ross has a very specific style and characters reminding Umah can be found really often in his works (a prime example being "proto-Umah" from Chakan 2).

And since we are talking about art that no one has seen before ;):
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=53256

I found this quite recently (to be precise - someone posted it on NR). The hylden "monolith" (bloodomen2pccd17010.jpg in morelok.zip file) was quite interesting.

Sam_kain
26th Jul 2010, 12:22
i really like Kain in BO2, his costume rocks, all of them

would love to see the Warrior, Engineer, Sorcerer and Winged as some thing like heroes or boss fights, defeating each one alone, then fighting them all together lol

ReaverofCupcakes
26th Jul 2010, 14:50
It looks like Mecha-Umah was inspired by the Ghost in a Shell anime or something. And as far as the different caste Hylden go, I'm not sure how they would have implemented them in BO2 as the game stood. But anyways, thanks again Shadow. :)

Umah Bloodomen
26th Jul 2010, 16:44
It looks like Mecha-Umah was inspired by the Ghost in a Shell anime or something.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

She's still pretty cool-looking, though.

The_Hylden
26th Jul 2010, 19:23
Yeah, the "mecha Umah" is probably some other character in some other franchise proposal. She's pretty Asian there, as well.

The Hylden stuff there is awesome. Those designs and Kain are all far better than the final stuff from BO2. Implementing the Hylden castes wouldn't have been a problem. the two we saw already were doing sorcerer spells, in addition to the sci fi tech-ey stuff from the Hylden, so I don't think that would have been a problem to add a full-blown Sorcerer class. The winged ones would have maybe involved battling with TK to ground them, then follow-up on the ground with some face-to-face poundin' :)

VipericVampire
29th Jul 2010, 05:32
Divine Shadow,
I remember finding Steve Ross' website a long time ago and seeing the Hylden photos, but never in all my life have a seen a picture of Kain wearing the most beautiful armour (IMO) he ever wore in the series. I am very grateful to you. How did you find it? I looked everywhere on his website. I even contacted him and asked him to put more pictures, but he told me they were all lost somewhere at CD. I am now going to proceed at printing that image and worshiping it in my LoK shrine. xD

FearGhoul
29th Jul 2010, 06:01
I always liked that hooded outfit he wears in the Canyon, Eternal Prision, and the Mass levels. I thought he looked so awesome in that and wished I could make him wear it more. The Eternal Prison was also probably my favorite part of the game.

VipericVampire
29th Jul 2010, 06:21
Oh, do forget my question. I visited his website before he changed it into something like a blog and added more pictures of BO2 (and bigger in size). At least I was finally able to find the Wharves/Hylden-City Kain I have long been looking for. Thanks again, Divine Shadow.

*Continues worshiping epic picture of Kain.*

Paradoks
29th Jul 2010, 11:04
Oh, do forget my question. I visited his website before he changed it into something like a blog and added more pictures of BO2 (and bigger in size). At least I was finally able to find the Wharves/Hylden-City Kain I have long been looking for.

As I mentioned before all this has been there for some time (the date on my disk is June 6). I just assumed it was known, because I saw at least some of these floating around before and it didn't occur to me that some of the pictures may be new.

// Edit: the code of the page implies that it has been there since February.

To make the navigation easier to everyone - everything can be found on this subpage (http://sxross.com/?cat=7).
Also, in the textures section (http://sxross.com/?cat=24) you can see some BO2 textures.

And I see that Steve Ross was working on Project Snowblind as well. That explains why some of the textures from industrial Quarter were reused in that game.