PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Next Patch Update Preview (March 31)

Psyonix_Corey
31st Mar 2014, 18:35
Since there's some priority stuff in here, wanted to get it in front of you guys so you know what's coming down the pipe. We've submitted to QA so assuming there's no critical issues we can hopefully get this to you later this week.

- Region filter will now function properly when NA or EU is selected
- Fix for imbalanced teams being created (5v3, 6v2, etc.)
- Improvements and fixes to Party system and friend inviting / joining

Voice Chat
- Significant improvements to quality and consistency of voice chat
- Fixes for being unable to hear some teammates in-game
- Clearer indicators in matchmaking lobby of who's talking

Controller Support
- Unofficial support for playing with and rebinding Xbox 360 controllers enabled. This is still a Work In Progress so use at your own risk! PS4 controllers will also technically work but will not show PS4 button prompts.

Hunter
Crossbows
- Crossbows now have stronger horizontal recoil
- Aim assistance at extreme distances reduced
Bola, Poison Bola
- Bola skills now break if the affected vampire takes 275 damage while bola’d
- Shot delay after throwing Bola/Poison Bola reduced
- Tooltips fixed to properly show Duration and Damage Threshold
Grenade
- Slight reduction to max damage

Sentinel
Flight
- Sentinels should now be significantly more effective at flying up stairs…
- Disabled “dive” audio screech when flying now that Kidnap plays its own tell

Misc
- Fixed a bug causing chatbox to sometimes require multiple button presses to close

WhiteFlameKyo
31st Mar 2014, 18:44
Sweet update. Most annoying or even gamebreaking (4v1) bugs are getting fixed. Slight nerf to hunters and a fix for sentinels as well, good job!

RainaAudron
31st Mar 2014, 19:39
Looking forward to test these changes! Looks good :)

Miltile
31st Mar 2014, 19:45
when in north america will this patch be coming ?

WhiteFlameKyo
31st Mar 2014, 19:57
when in north america will this patch be coming ?

Corey said that most likely later this week.

Wobbley
31st Mar 2014, 20:16
Since there's some priority stuff in here, wanted to get it in front of you guys so you know what's coming down the pipe. We've submitted to QA so assuming there's no critical issues we can hopefully get this to you later this week.

This is sorely needed. I tried playing with some NA Friends today (usually I am EU) it was impossible to get a NA lobby. Kept throwing us into EU even if we did select NA. It took us 30 minutes, and even then the lobby was broken with the 6 vs 2 bug. .

Voice Chat

Honestly does anyone use in game voice chat? Good work anyways, but not sure it's something you should be spending resources on :/

Controller Support
- Unofficial support for playing with and rebinding Xbox 360 controllers enabled. This is still a Work In Progress so use at your own risk! PS4 controllers will also technically work but will not show PS4 button prompts.

Good, been a lot of threads on this!

Hunter
Crossbows
Bola, Poison Bola
Grenade

As someone that has a max level hunter and plays the class a lot: Great changes! Hunters needed a nerf and it was a long overdue. The only problem I have is with the Bola break after taking damage. Not because it's a bad change, but because it does not work at all with the two current bola skills. Here is why:

The normal bola is already barely used because even with the long duration vampires most often just break out of it, making the poison bola more effective since they take damage. Now by the fact that the damage breaks it makes it even less useful, as most players will spam fire at the vampire breaking it instantly and not really saving the teammate. So the long duration on it is really no advantage at all. I will give it a go in a full party and perhaps use it as a cc skill while we focus other vamps.

Have you guys actually checked the damage on Poison bola...this bola is 10 damage away from breaking itself. The poison damage is 240 damage over 3 seconds. You can't negate the poison damage from the break threshold either, it would make it too powerful. I am skeptical to making such huge changes to bola when the only items in the hunters primary slot..are bolas. I am excited to give these bola changes a go before claiming it was a terrible idea.

Sentinel
Flight

AHA! STAIRS ARE NO LONGER A MATCH FOR THE MIGHTY SENTINEL! I AM UNSTOPPABLE!

Misc
- Fixed a bug causing chatbox to sometimes require multiple button presses to close

Comments in quote.

Korevas
31st Mar 2014, 20:54
First of all, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate that. I know you are probably doing quite a lot of stuff behind the scenes, and giving us a peek at that occasionally helps broadcast that.

Voice Chat

Bugfixes are good, everybody loves those.

Controller Support

Maybe it's me, but this makes me feel that matchmaking will be needed now more then ever. I'd expect that to screw with balancing somewhat, since vampires are probably less penalized from controller aim then humans are. Right now, I dread the prospect of having to deal with more people random "dead weight" players, which can be really punishing for a team, especially on the human side. I don't mean to say we should exclude controller players by any means, but I fear it may widen the gap between the good and the bad players some more, and forcing those to play together at all times isn't fun for either side I think.

Hunter
Crossbows
Bola, Poison Bola
Grenade

I agree that recoil is the right parameter to turn down low skill and ranged performance without gutting the class for good players who will be able to compensate for it.

Sentinel
Flight

Somewhat agree here. Losing one of the redundant tells is good, but I personally think it doesn't go far enough. I still think sent is not "up to par" against coordinated humans currently, since his personal risk at botched grab attempts is comparatively high, compared to the other vamps who have drastically better defensive options and are generally a little less exposed while doing their thing.

Misc

Good, that got annoying already. =)

Since this is a slightly smaller patch, it does beg the question when the real meaty update with deceiver (and maybe some more human stuff?) is going to hit. You most likely don't have a definite date yet, but I bet players are more exited about that one, so do you have anything to share on that?

Saranjivac
31st Mar 2014, 20:58
Move it to http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156 ? I barely found these :P
Also what happened to the previous patch notes the .79999 patch?

Psyonix_Corey
31st Mar 2014, 21:19
Move it to http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156 ? I barely found these :P
Also what happened to the previous patch notes the .79999 patch?

We'll put a thread there when the patch is live.

79999 didn't have official patch notes due to the focus on Founder's Pack content.

Khalith
31st Mar 2014, 21:20
Great changes! Thank you!

Saranjivac
31st Mar 2014, 21:39

- Region filter will now function properly when NA or EU is selected hip hip hurray
- Fix for imbalanced teams being created (5v3, 6v2, etc.) I am very sad by this, had a few very nice 3v5 matches :D
- Improvements and fixes to Party system and friend inviting / joining Very curious to what these are, I hope they are what I think they should be! :P

Voice Chat

Nice update might even be useful at some point :)

Controller Support
- Unofficial support for playing with and rebinding Xbox 360 controllers enabled. This is still a Work In Progress so use at your own risk! PS4 controllers will also technically work but will not show PS4 button prompts. As long as the aim assist isn't to strong I'm ok with it.

Hunter
Crossbows
- Crossbows now have stronger horizontal recoil Ok, due nerf
- Aim assistance at extreme distances reduced I don't really get it we already have damage falloff and you can't hit anything at extreme distance anyway but ok lets give it a shot.
Bola, Poison Bola
- Bola skills now break if the affected vampire takes 275 damage while bola’d I agree with what Wobbley said about this, 275 might be to little.
Grenade
- Slight reduction to max damage As long as its 500+ id say its ok.

Sentinel
Flight
- Sentinels should now be significantly more effective at flying up stairs… Snap, I need to think about new tactics now vs sent :D

Misc
- Fixed a bug causing chatbox to sometimes require multiple button presses to close Awesome fix, I was already starting to flip out about this.

That about sums it up.

killdrith
1st Apr 2014, 00:39
Woah.. reduction to grenade when blinding shot is still the skill of choice? Never would have guessed.

cmstache
1st Apr 2014, 01:53
The bola might not have enough durability, but overall, this makes me happy.

Strike5150
1st Apr 2014, 07:51
For hunter bola those are good arguments but I will explain the idea behind them. Basically hunters get a free kill for landing a bola. That was not the intended use of the bola. The bola is supposed to be used as a tool to take one vampire out of the fight, not kill them.

With this change you have some time to react before the bola breaks, and your teammates will learn over time not to continue shooting a vampire when hes bolad. If you do shoot him you will still get a ministun for your efforts, just not an free kill.

You will also notice that the hunter is now allowed to shoot immediately after firing the bola again, so you can continue to fire at other targets.

Psyonix_Eric
1st Apr 2014, 18:14
Honestly does anyone use in game voice chat? Good work anyways, but not sure it's something you should be spending resources on :/

Lucky for us we get to choose how to allocate our resources. ;) This has been one of the most requested features from players so we feel like it's a very valuable thing to work on. Not everyone is able to use Vent/Mumble/TS/Skype but given how reliant our game is on teamwork this is something that's very good to have for people that way to use it.

RainaAudron
1st Apr 2014, 18:25
Eric: Will there be a mute button incorporated too? In a match that is, I know it exists in the lobby already. Thanks :)

Wobbley
1st Apr 2014, 18:45
That's good to hear. I guess I am just biased as I use Raidcall/TS and hate the voice chat that comes with steam. If it is a highly requested feature then I guess I am the minority :) And yes teamwork in this game is really important.

Miltile
1st Apr 2014, 21:21
thats great but i know it will be hitting later this week but can we get an ETA ? Wed Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday ?

PencileyePirate
1st Apr 2014, 23:56
Loving these changes, especially the matchmaking / party / voice-chat fixes! I'm also pretty happy about Hunter and Sentinel class tweaks, but wondering if 275 damage to break bolas is a little low ... suppose we'll have to wait and test it out!

Tureil
2nd Apr 2014, 04:28
As a human Hunter main who relies on poison Bola to save my ass every match, every night...

Oh.
God.
Dammit.
----
Clarification:

Every Vampire has a way to either break out of bolas, or reduce my effectiveness at killing them while they're trapped.

Reavers have Evasion/Shadow Step, Tyrants have Iron Skin, Sentinels have Takeoff.

if you don't have those skills, thats the decision you made to fit your playstyle. Thats the risk you took coming up against Hunters. If you get bola'd, you should either pop a "Survival" skill, or run. If you can't run....

Welcome to how Humans feel when multiple vampires corner one.

Strike5150
2nd Apr 2014, 11:46
I wanted to ask specifically if AOE breaks bola. I think we suggested in the forums a while back that AOE not break it. Is this true or not? I think the concern that many people have when posting that the limit is too low, is that they think AOE will add to the bola breaking, as I understand it AOE does NOT add damage to the bola only single target damage.

I think rather than raising this limit it might make more sense that no one person may do more than 275 or it breaks. I can see how if the a hunter shoots once and an alchemist lobs one final grenade that it would break too easily.

lucinvampire
2nd Apr 2014, 12:02
Eric: Will there be a mute button incorporated too? In a match that is, I know it exists in the lobby already. Thanks :)

^This very much please :D

Not sure if I'm going to like the voice chat - getting abused in game over a mic...text you can ignore to an extent...but voice not so much - either that or I need to figure out how to quit a match is someone is being rude!

0Exroath0
2nd Apr 2014, 16:55
At last I shall no longer rage at bolas! I could cry .. So... how about some more dodaads for the tyrant? he's really lacking skills atm.. maybe a sexy jazz man taunt too? ..

Marrlain
2nd Apr 2014, 17:13
I'm particulary happy with the matchmaking fix! All the (EU) lobbies I got into seem to have some sort of matchmaking bug. The 2 vs 4/5 matches aren't any fun on both sides.

Planetus
2nd Apr 2014, 19:29
The Matchmaking changes are gun be good.

I play with 2 or 3 friends regularly, so it'll be nice to actually queue with them rather than perform a military operation to get everyone in the same lobby.

Also, does this mean no more crossmap repeater sniping? :D

TendrilSavant
2nd Apr 2014, 21:53
Every Vampire has a way to either break out of bolas, or reduce my effectiveness at killing them while they're trapped.

Reavers have Evasion/Shadow Step, Tyrants have Iron Skin, Sentinels have Takeoff.

The thing is, if there are 2 or more Hunters on the human team, your loadout is kinda forced to include one of these. The change to Bola should allow players to not feel hindered for choosing Haste or Enrage, which already have more risk involved than the other abilities.

Tureil
2nd Apr 2014, 21:59
The thing is, if there are 2 or more Hunters on the human team, your loadout is kinda forced to include one of these. The change to Bola should allow players to not feel hindered for choosing Haste or Enrage, which already have more risk involved than the other abilities.

You can dodge bolas, however. They aren't instant cast. I personally get more rage out of two Reavers chain-pouncing me than Hunters tossing bolas my way.

Strike5150
4th Apr 2014, 11:51
You can dodge bolas, however. They aren't instant cast. I personally get more rage out of two Reavers chain-pouncing me than Hunters tossing bolas my way.

Play tyrant more and your level of frustration will go above and beyond all semblance of humanity. Truly bola is a free kill on a vampire that is hit with it. This is what we are trying to fix. No one skill is meant to be a free kill on a vampire or vice versa.

Edit: After reading your earlier post in more detail I feel I should point out that bola can still save your ass, however it means now that you bola, and then heal or run for cover and get help from your team. It will no longer enable you to freely mow down a full health vampire no matter how low your health is. Vampires are supposed to be stronger once they are in melee range. The bola basically negates a vampire completely in every sense of the word and 95% of the time results in a kill no matter how much health that vampire had.

Khalith
4th Apr 2014, 11:59

if you don't have those skills, thats the decision you made to fit your playstyle. Thats the risk you took coming up against Hunters. If you get bola'd, you should either pop a "Survival" skill, or run.

The only thing that's different now is you can't just kill the vampire while he's bola'd. If you bola an enraged tyrant, you've still effectively shut him down and you still can. I.E. Enraged tyrant, hunter throws a bola, human team switches targets and kills vamp or two while the tyrant stands there helpless. Bola breaks, a scout can knife him and thus he wasted enrage, unable to do anything, this just requires the human team to be smart enough not to break your bola, not hitting a target that's controlled by something that breaks on damage is not an unreasonable skill for the devs to have the players develop.

Edit: I think popping Enrage should break you out of bola in the first place, it seems appropriate. If you get bola'd AFTER the fact, fine.

SiD_Green
4th Apr 2014, 12:36
It's not very hard to dodge bola though; don't stand still attacking

AnonArchia
4th Apr 2014, 13:41
Nice changes, but guys seriously, when will the Reaver be nerfed ? ;-)

Xaujin
4th Apr 2014, 13:56
Lucky for us we get to choose how to allocate our resources. ;) This has been one of the most requested features from players so we feel like it's a very valuable thing to work on. Not everyone is able to use Vent/Mumble/TS/Skype but given how reliant our game is on teamwork this is something that's very good to have for people that way to use it.

I was blown away when I read some players saying "why this?" "Cool I guess."

This is a team work oriented game. Without it you get demolished. Having voice chat is essential.

Maybe for all the hardcore players out there who have groups of 4-8 friends they roll with every night don't need it but what about the casuals? or the people who don't want to have to install a 3rd party program to play with better coordination?

TheMalgot
4th Apr 2014, 14:07
Thanke. But what is with Music while in background option?

Edit:

I was blown away when I read some players saying "why this?" "Cool I guess."

This is a team work oriented game. Without it you get demolished. Having voice chat is essential.

TeamSpeak is one of the things technology brought us in gaming which is more curse than a bless. There would be no unfair advantages if no one uses it, but i, and i feel the majorily, only feels forced to use it to stay in touch with the voice-chatters. Many people in online-games aren't that friendly or social anyway. Why would you want them to shout at you through your speakers?

Maybe for all the hardcore players out there who have groups of 4-8 friends they roll with every night don't need it but what about the casuals? or the people who don't want to have to install a 3rd party program to play with better coordination?
It usually is reversed. Casuals hardly use TS. They play for fun and don't want to listen to your orders to do this and to go over there. For a newbie, this can break the fun for a game forever. It's the 24/7-since-release-players who are demanding this feature.

TheIrtar
4th Apr 2014, 14:08
Is this now live? Steam made me download 800 MB this morning.

Denhonator
4th Apr 2014, 14:13
Is this now live? Steam made me download 800 MB this morning. It might've been this, but doesn't seem active anyway. Maybe they will have to activate something server-side? What else could an update that big be about?

Prime_Abstergo
4th Apr 2014, 14:20
It might've been this, but doesn't seem active anyway. Maybe they will have to activate something server-side? What else could an update that big be about? Didn't you see a new pic in 'TIP' section of the 'online suite'?
It says "Deceiver: coming soon" :eek:

Vampmaster
4th Apr 2014, 14:31
Is the Prophet coming soon too?

Psyonix_Eric
4th Apr 2014, 17:51
The patch that went live today was this one, yes.