PDA

View Full Version : So...any good books?

Bevacur
21st Jul 2010, 22:10
While i am not a major book reader, but i recently kind of got into reading again so anyone suggest any good books?

Preferably horror and sci-fi?

What are lovecraftian books like? I've seen many people who enjoy them, what is it about?

BeardedHoplite
21st Jul 2010, 22:40
Would you consider Alternate History sci-fi? I don't but some people (idiots) do. Anyway, if you get into AH I can't recommend Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 enough.
It's about the South winning the American Civil War and all that **** that goes down after it.
http://turtledove.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline-191

Also, pretty much any of his writings are good

JackGordon
21st Jul 2010, 22:47
I'm actually reading Coraline by Neil Gaiman at the moment and so far it's a good read. Surprisingly there's no annoying Wybie Lovat in the book?! Who on earth thought it was a good idea to add his character to the movie...

ohitspatty
21st Jul 2010, 23:14
Horror/Sci-Fi? Not my favorite genres but I could try and help.

Older Stephen King's book are pretty good such as; The Stand or my personal favorite It. Even Pet Sematary is pretty good but the newer stuff is very redundant and recycled. Also personally never read but I heard the Dark Tower series are fantastic.

Now, I understand if you don't like Stephen King's writing, a lot of people don't.

Have you ever read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein? Along with Shakespeare plays and Lord of the Flies by William Golding, it's the best things they made me read in high school. It's very well written and overall fascinating story. But that's another horror story that might be too classic for some readers. Whatever you do I'd say stay away from Dean Koontz. I've read two books by that guy and they are very tasteless.

Have you read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card? I just read it this year even thought it's aimed more for teenagers and young adults. Very fun book and I heard the other books in series are even better.

Oh and I heard Clive Barker is good horror writer...not sure since I never read his stuff.

As for other genres? I'd say stuff by Chuck Palahniuk. His stuff is always very edgy and intense. Max Brooks' World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide are fantastic in my opinion. Um Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet In Heaven is pretty neat.

I'm currently reading The Road by Cormc McCarthy. It's pretty good.

Bevacur
21st Jul 2010, 23:45
Yeah i was looking into World War Z and The Zombie survival guide.

Hmm might look at Clive Barker's books.

ohitspatty
21st Jul 2010, 23:46
Yeah World War Z is better read but the Survival Guide is hilarious.

I highly recommended buying second hand books because paying more than 6 bucks for a book is a big joke.

Kent-45
22nd Jul 2010, 00:39
I bought the Zombie Survival Guide for retail price, and don't get me wrong... it's a funny read, but is it worth the price they charged me? Nah, not really. It's a very short book, and a lot of the writing is pretty average. I love the concepts though, and I liked the tone of the book.

I will think twice before buying World War Z. I want to read it, but I'm not going to make the mistake of paying retail again.

ohitspatty
22nd Jul 2010, 00:53
How much is retail price? I bought mine at a flea market for three dollars.

World War Z is fun mix of interviews telling the stories. It's more in-depth than Survival Guide but still isn't a literature. I believe it's a book you'd want to take on a plane trip for example. It's quick but keeps you entertained through-out and by the time you're done...you're almost landing.

GrievousOdyssey
22nd Jul 2010, 01:54
Yeah so i walked in here about to propose some 'complexe' civilised litterature ...

BeardedHoplite
22nd Jul 2010, 02:00
I bought the Zombie Survival Guide for retail price, and don't get me wrong... it's a funny read, but is it worth the price they charged me? Nah, not really.

Not worth the price?! I musta' read that book a hundred times. Oh well, I guess I'm more prepared for a Zombie Uprising for it

Brackstone17
22nd Jul 2010, 03:15
My favourite books in order of how much I love them:

A Clockwork Orange
Jacks Return Home aka Get Carter
Jurassic Park
The Road
Sharpe's Siege

If epic poems count, then The Iliad and The Odyssey are up there too.

Now, Lovecraftian horror stories often deal with unexplained and often inconceivable horrors. Neither the protagonist or the reader fully understands the magnitude of what is happening and the monsters (when there are monsters) are often too horrible to be described with much detail.

If you want to read some lovecraftian stories (most are short stories, there are fewer full novels) check it out online. I'd suggest you only read things written by Lovecraft himself though, the other writers aren't nearly as good.

To start you off, I'd recommend Call of Cthulhu so here's the full text (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Cthulhu). If you like it, most of his other short stories are also fully on wikisource.

GrievousOdyssey
22nd Jul 2010, 03:31
To start you off, I'd recommend Call of Cthulhu so here's the full text (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Cthulhu).

One paragraph ?! hot damn , i'm going to like these short ... wait what's that ...

THREE FULL PAGES ?! GTFU ...

Brackstone17
22nd Jul 2010, 03:35
It's better that reading a full novel. Three chapters doesn't take that long to read anyway.

ohitspatty
22nd Jul 2010, 04:41
Yeah so i walked in here about to propose some 'complexe' civilised litterature ...

And what would that be?

Anyway, I was going over my books and found 1984 by George Orwell. Awesome book about dystopian story.

Rocket Propelled Rocket
22nd Jul 2010, 04:49
Not really a book but just wanted to throw this in there. http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=110853
AND I'M STILL UPDATING IT!

petersjov
23rd Jul 2010, 10:55
ha ha not scifi, but just plain good, any Discworld book ;-)

SlashPrower
23rd Jul 2010, 12:59
If you want sci-fi, try Isaac Asimov's short stories or his Foundation series. Really, anything by Isaac Asimov is great. He's my favorite sci-fi writer.

Bevacur
23rd Jul 2010, 14:14
Well i just brought a book by James Rollin's called Ice Hunt.

I read the blurb and it seems interesting as it involves something that defies nature and it could destroy life on Earth.

Read some reviews and people said it is tense and a horror. Some websites say it is a must have.

Morphilms
23rd Jul 2010, 22:47
In terms of sci fi, the mass effect books are quite good, providin you know the basic visual aid of what the characters look like

Bevacur
24th Jul 2010, 20:22
Yeah, i'm a big fan of the Mass Effect series, is it about Shepard's crew or completely new characters?

Morphilms
25th Jul 2010, 10:54
The first one is about Capt. Anderson... ANDERSON! (Sorry, i'm a wrestling fan) and Saren an the events that messed up Andersons role to become a spectre, very good an doesn't drag too much out, the second is about a cerberus op that lands them in hot water with the quarians, also good but neither mention any of Shepards crew, just stand alone books.