PDA

View Full Version : No Russian in DEHR...

Sirviani
21st Jul 2010, 10:51
A deep and gripping storyline in which players face off against a political government threat dedicated to bringing the world to the brink of collapse. This game should include a plot involving a mission carried out by the Templars, like the No Russian stage from Modern Warfare 2.

We all know this would duplicate sells, plus they would grant us the rated M (Mature).

Irate_Iguana
21st Jul 2010, 10:57
That mission was boring as hell and served no purpose in the game whatsoever. Plus those NPC *******s kept stealing my kills. It was only intended to get some cheap sales.

Developers should stop fixating on getting a certain rating through the gratuitous use of violence, gore and swearing. The rating should follow naturally from what the game portrays. If you introduce certain elements it should be because it is necessary for better gameplay or a better story and not because you get a different letter on your box.

Kodaemon
21st Jul 2010, 11:16
To OP:

what

Corpus
21st Jul 2010, 11:33
Incite a riot, yes.
Pointless slaughter-fest, no.

Higher ratings =/= higher sales.

Badmaker
21st Jul 2010, 12:28
@Irate Iguana, that mision was the whole point of storyline in MW2.

Ontopic:I would like to see some russian NPC's in HR.

"I spill my drink" LOL

Corpus
21st Jul 2010, 13:26
Lets not get into the debate about THAT mission again we already did it last time.

I do like the Russian language, would be nice to see some diversity even in Detroit etc.

Anasumtj
21st Jul 2010, 17:29
That was the stupidest ******* level in gaming history.

Dead-Eye
21st Jul 2010, 17:36
Are you guys talking about the Airport Mission in MW2 where you needlessly kill a bunch of Russian civilians?

Dead-Eye
21st Jul 2010, 17:37
Are you guys talking about the Airport Mission in MW2 where you needlessly kill a bunch of Russian civilians?

If so MJ12 dose things like this all the time, then blames it on the NSF or Silhouette.

Badmaker
21st Jul 2010, 17:45
@Anasumtj, if u think like this, then idk what are doing on a deus ex forum

WildcatPhoenix
21st Jul 2010, 17:54

:scratch:

And his opinion of a mission from Modern Warfare 2 affects Deus Ex......how, exactly?

Irate_Iguana
21st Jul 2010, 18:19

The false flag operation was part of the overarching plot. The way the mission was presented was in no way needed for the game to continue and make sense.

Anasumtj
21st Jul 2010, 18:40

What am I doing on a Deus Ex forum?

Well, I'm criticizing a childish and cynical attempt to inject gravity and "serious business" into a stupid, paint-by-numbers Michael Bay storyline for an overrated, formulaic, and completely unrelated game.

That whole mission was trash.

WildcatPhoenix
21st Jul 2010, 18:41
Lol I always thought that mission got off to a silly start when Makarov says, "Remember, no Russian!"

Then immediately proceeds to say S nami- Bog. (God be with us)

Mindmute
21st Jul 2010, 18:49
:scratch:

And his opinion of a mission from Modern Warfare 2 affects Deus Ex......how, exactly?

Baffled about that too...
Why can't be people be a little bit more specific in their comments? :p

Badmaker
21st Jul 2010, 18:55

Well, I'm criticizing a childish and cynical attempt to inject gravity and "serious business" into a stupid, paint-by-numbers Michael Bay storyline for an overrated, formulaic, and completely unrelated game.

That whole mission was trash.

Without that mission, the whole storyline would not had any sense.
And i know my English sux.

Back on topic, HR needs some USSR language :D

Mindmute
21st Jul 2010, 18:58

Making sense and being done well aren't the same thing.
They could've included that event as part of the backstory and then build a different storyarc around it, without the need to make it into a mission and it would still have made sense.
That's like designing a play around a single scene/act, it's doable and has been done before succesfully, but 9/10 attempts end up in the trash bin.

Badmaker
21st Jul 2010, 19:05
Well idk, im 21 years old and i enjoyed that mission.

Sirviani
21st Jul 2010, 20:30
Well idk, im 21 years old and i enjoyed that mission.

Considering the fact, that we're talking about something new in this ordinary genre, I totally liked it.

Why talk about an act of terrorism in a videogame on the news, when United States, plus other nations, carry out outrageous operations in the whole wide world.

You know what's more scary than the No Russian mission? The breaking news about a video game distorting the "truth" about american heroism. Gotta love Infinity Ward for doing such great job.

pringlepower
21st Jul 2010, 21:53
Considering the fact, that we're talking about something new in this ordinary genre, I totally liked it.

Why talk about an act of terrorism in a videogame on the news, when United States, plus other nations, carry out outrageous operations in the whole wide world.

You know what's more scary than the No Russian mission? The breaking news about a video game distorting the "truth" about american heroism. Gotta love Infinity Ward for doing such great job.

Isn't the point of video games to experience something first-hand anyways?

And considering that the level is the catalyst for the entire plot, it makes sense to do it in first-person.

Pinky_Powers
21st Jul 2010, 22:15
I haven't even played Modern Warfare 2 yet. But I know which mission you're all on about. And I really don't see why people are so hard on it.

Did they do it for the shock? Maybe. But it had a powerful effect all the same. It was disturbing. (I've seen video). And if it's indeed a plot central moment, they fell squarely in the right to put it in there.

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Jul 2010, 22:38

That whole game was trash.

fix'd.

pringlepower
22nd Jul 2010, 00:16
I liked it

DeusWhatever
22nd Jul 2010, 00:54
Is this a troll thread? A discussion about the "story" of MW2? :mad2:

But hey lets continue, i think Deus Ex should be more like a "Uwe Boll"-movie, maybe eidos can hire him to fix their story?

Comon the whole purpose of this crappy mission was publicity they even built the non existent crappy "plot" around it. I could hardly care less about the mission, but its pretty irritating when people try to talk about story in a game that has no story and it gets annoying when they compare them with good games ...

Corpus
22nd Jul 2010, 02:25

It wasn't a requirement to be played, obviously they could've just talked about it during briefing but that wouldn't rake in sales now would it?

I haven't even played Modern Warfare 2 yet. But I know which mission you're all on about. And I really don't see why people are so hard on it.

Did they do it for the shock? Maybe. But it had a powerful effect all the same. It was disturbing. (I've seen video). And if it's indeed a plot central moment, they fell squarely in the right to put it in there.

Play the mission, it wasn't shocking in the slightest nor disturbing. IW know their main audience is a bunch of people who really don't give two ****s about the story hence it being so half assed.

pringlepower
22nd Jul 2010, 02:35
It wasn't a requirement to be played, obviously they could've just talked about it during briefing but that wouldn't rake in sales now would it?

Play the mission, it wasn't shocking in the slightest nor disturbing. IW know their main audience is a bunch of people who really don't give two ****s about the story hence it being so half assed.

Or perhaps the fact that none of us felt anything about killing civilians is a sad show of our psychological states.

For you see, video games create psychotics, and must be banned from everyone.

Badmaker
22nd Jul 2010, 05:50
Or perhaps the fact that none of us felt anything about killing civilians is a sad show of our psychological states.

same applies for thousands of movies ?

pringlepower
22nd Jul 2010, 06:14
same applies for thousands of movies ?

And some varieties of cheese.

tartarus_sauce
22nd Jul 2010, 07:15
I like No Russian. It had great, moody music, and there were some wonderful bits in it- like when you see the terrorists shadows up on the wall as you walk by, and they're just looming and massive. Quite beautiful.

Corpus
22nd Jul 2010, 10:26
I like No Russian. It had great, moody music, and there were some wonderful bits in it- like when you see the terrorists shadows up on the wall as you walk by, and they're just looming and massive. Quite beautiful.

That justifies nothing. I certainly don't remember any shadows specifically cast on the walls, they would have to be pretty damn thick and big to see through the muzzle flares and fleeing crowd. Couldn't hear music over the gun fire and screaming. There wasn't anything beautiful in that scene nor the entire game.

DeusWhatever
22nd Jul 2010, 13:45

Or its just like in every other media. There are people that can differentiate between reality and fiction, which is why people laugh about movies like Hot-Shots where people die ...

I think people should question their own psychological state when they have problems to see the difference between reality and fictional polygon characters.

People which are fascinated by the imaginary "plot" of MW2 may should read a real book ...

Irate_Iguana
22nd Jul 2010, 14:28
Seems like a few people here need to recalibrate their sarcasm detectors.

DeusWhatever
22nd Jul 2010, 14:32
Seems like a few people here need to recalibrate their sarcasm detectors.

Its sad, but its pretty hard these days to know when people are serios and when they are being sarcastic/ironic

Corpus
22nd Jul 2010, 15:05
Its sad, but its pretty hard these days to know when people are serios and when they are being sarcastic/ironic

Too true.

pringlepower
22nd Jul 2010, 20:49
Or its just like in every other media. There are people that can differentiate between reality and fiction, which is why people laugh about movies like Hot-Shots where people die ...

I think people should question their own psychological state when they have problems to see the difference between reality and fictional polygon characters.

People which are fascinated by the imaginary "plot" of MW2 may should read a real book ...

Okay sorry for confusion
*sarcasm off*
Yeah I've read good books. No I don't think MW2 is Deus Ex or even compares to Deus Ex but that doesn't mean it's the ****test **** to ever live in ****sburg. It has its merits, and there were some nice moments in the campaign, e.g., emerging out of the bunker in Washington DC. It's not an awful plot, though CoD 4 was better, especially the post-nuke level, which was pretty goshdarn immersive.

Hmm that last comment's probably gonna draw some harsh criticism of my sanity.

WildcatPhoenix
22nd Jul 2010, 21:07
It's not an awful plot, though CoD 4 was better, especially the post-nuke level, which was pretty goshdarn immersive.

Hmm that last comment's probably gonna draw some harsh criticism of my sanity.

On the contrary, I like what Infinity Ward started in CoD4. The opening scene with the chaos in the Middle Eastern country, where the player can turn his head even in the middle of all those scripted events, was very immersive. The player is effectively watching a cutscene, but the entire thing is done in 1st person. You might miss certain events if you are looking in the opposite direction (kinda like real life, eh?)

This was continued in Modern Warfare 2. I also like that they weren't afraid to kill player characters, although this card was eventually played a few too many times by the end of MW2.

The overall plot of MW2 was pants, but I definitely won't complain about Infinity Ward's dedication to immersion. Kinda wish Eidos would take some notes. :hmm:

pringlepower
22nd Jul 2010, 21:13
On the contrary, I like what Infinity Ward started in CoD4. The opening scene with the chaos in the Middle Eastern country, where the player can turn his head even in the middle of all those scripted events, was very immersive. The player is effectively watching a cutscene, but the entire thing is done in 1st person. You might miss certain events if you are looking in the opposite direction (kinda like real life, eh?)

This was continued in Modern Warfare 2. I also like that they weren't afraid to kill player characters, although this card was eventually played a few too many times by the end of MW2.

The overall plot of MW2 was pants, but I definitely won't complain about Infinity Ward's dedication to immersion. Kinda wish Eidos would take some notes. :hmm:

Christ how could I forget the Al-Fulani intro. I actually thought CoD 4 had a pretty good storyline. The whole Arab nation invasion was more or less the Iraq War, except Saddam actually had the nukes and the balls to use them, and the missions in Russia were covert ops, so who knows... they might be going on right now.

Anyways with MW2, to paraphrase yatzhee "after you do it every 5 minutes shock isn't so special".

tartarus_sauce
22nd Jul 2010, 22:35
Talking about MW2 and Deus Ex is interesting, because the games have polar opposite philosophies: one makes a 100% commitment to scripted sequences, the other makes a 100% commitment to player freedom. One thing I loved about the original Deus Ex was how much the developers were willing to reward player ingenuity. If you could kill Anna, well bammo, it's not a glitch, the game will just roll with it. With MW2, you have absolutely no choices. It's not that one approach is objectively superior, they just work differently. As much as I love Deus Ex, nothing in it has quite the same grotesque beauty as the No Russian mission, or the thrilling immediacy of some of the Prypiat sequences.

Sirviani
23rd Jul 2010, 09:56
As much as I love Deus Ex, nothing in it has quite the same grotesque beauty as the No Russian mission, or the thrilling immediacy of some of the Prypiat sequences.

EM doesn't have the balls to do such thing. They simply don't.

Sure you can always make an intro like Invisible War, where a Temlpar uses a nanite bomb.

hem dazon 90
23rd Jul 2010, 16:45
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Qw8lmCn93y0/SPkrLTo4SJI/AAAAAAAAAtI/VFJoMirVCSA/s400/Call+of+Duty+-+World+at+War.jpg

I would prefer if they had Sgt Reznov in it.

Because Reznov is awesome.

pringlepower
23rd Jul 2010, 21:45
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Qw8lmCn93y0/SPkrLTo4SJI/AAAAAAAAAtI/VFJoMirVCSA/s400/Call+of+Duty+-+World+at+War.jpg

I would prefer if they had Sgt Reznov in it.

Because Reznov is awesome.

But does he have a name like "Soap"?

PlasmaSnake101
24th Jul 2010, 00:28
On a better note, the Templars most likely won't even appear in this game.

AaronJ
24th Jul 2010, 00:37
On a better note, the Templars most likely won't even appear in this game.

If it were a true prequel to Deus Ex's story, it could detail Manderley's attack on the Templar compound and the slaughter of Templars.

hem dazon 90
24th Jul 2010, 01:27
But does he have a name like "Soap"?

Does soap get off (sexually?) to killing natzees

pringlepower
24th Jul 2010, 01:59
Does soap get off (sexually?) to killing natzees

He scrubs Russians off the map.

Haha a pun. I'm so witty.

GhostofaMessiah
2nd Aug 2010, 13:04

Ontopic:I would like to see some russian NPC's in HR.

"I spill my drink" LOL

Modern Warfare had a storyline? Your average Call of Duty Would-be gamer is responsible for the death of the video game industry. Quit trying to make every game Call of Duty, it already ruined Bad Company 2. As gamers we must hold ourselves to a higher standard of both storyline and gamplay. And its up to the industry to follow our lead because we are the consummer.

Before you know it every game will have perks, Kill cams and kill streak rewards. personally you can take your tactical nuke and tacticly insert it where the sun don't shine.

Hertzila
2nd Aug 2010, 17:03
Quit trying to make every game Call of Duty, it already ruined Bad Company 2.

What did it exactly ruin in it? I find it a rather enjoyable shooter, with a couple of screw-ups in weapon balance and vehicle alt-fire.

Before you know it every game will have perks...

What's so bad about these? Customizing your charachter to suit your needs is great. Or at the very least your weapon.

...Kill cams...

These are not for ultra realistic shooters but it does help alleviate not knowing how you died (snipers and such).

...kill streak rewards.

Other than extra points, agreed. If the guy has already killed a lot of the other team I don't think he needs extra help in it, let alone a win button (which he himself could qualify).

pringlepower
2nd Aug 2010, 19:25
Modern Warfare had a storyline? Your average Call of Duty Would-be gamer is responsible for the death of the video game industry. Quit trying to make every game Call of Duty, it already ruined Bad Company 2. As gamers we must hold ourselves to a higher standard of both storyline and gamplay. And its up to the industry to follow our lead because we are the consummer.

Before you know it every game will have perks, Kill cams and kill streak rewards. personally you can take your tactical nuke and tacticly insert it where the sun don't shine.

So there you go into "everything Call of Duty is horrible ****" mode. Let's examine perks and killcam.

Perks let you customize the way you play. Snipers can get UAV invisibility to stay hidden, people with machine guns can get expanded mags to reload less. I recall this older shooter... Feus Pex or something that did just the same thing. It's a pity people like you have never played Feus Pex and can't enjoy that level of customization.

Killcam makes it much easier to spot a hacker. I don't see the issue.

The storyline wasn't bad either (CoD 4 anyways), especially the immersive sections (e.g., aftermath of getting nuked). IMO that do immersion better than that old Feus Pex game.

GhostofaMessiah
3rd Aug 2010, 04:51
So there you go into "everything Call of Duty is horrible ****" mode. Let's examine perks and killcam.

Perks let you customize the way you play. Snipers can get UAV invisibility to stay hidden, people with machine guns can get expanded mags to reload less. I recall this older shooter... Feus Pex or something that did just the same thing. It's a pity people like you have never played Feus Pex and can't enjoy that level of customization.

Killcam makes it much easier to spot a hacker. I don't see the issue.

The storyline wasn't bad either (CoD 4 anyways), especially the immersive sections (e.g., aftermath of getting nuked). IMO that do immersion better than that old Feus Pex game.

The issue is; All those things are just cruches for bad kids and casual gamers that dont try to spend the time to actually get better. Perks like juggernaut especially. Which is fine in call of duty I suppose, but I've been playing Battlefield since modern combat 2 and thats the series I enjoyed because It required skill. It was a game where camping would get you no where. Bad company 1, same deal, you gotta be fast and you gotta be accurate and you have to actually aim (left trigger on xbox controler) or you will die. Call of duty is comprised of cyclic spawns on a small map, go ahead and just shoot from the hip you only have to hit em twice. COD has more in common with a goat rodeo.

The taint spread to battlefield.. Now what multi-player game am I gonna play? Or should I just conform to one of you sheep in the herd?

As for immersion I could get more out of a toilet than any COD. Deus Ex on the other hand, you either didnt play it or you skipped all the dialogue and cowboyed your way through the whole thing from the hip like all other CoD prodigies would do. Which is it? Then again maybe it all just went right over your head. In any case I wouldn't be surprised.