PDA

View Full Version : Personal Game Ideas Anyone?

ThePrecursor
20th Jul 2010, 23:54
Has anyone on this board ever had any solid game ideas? I've always been interested in how other gamers envision a good game. After seeing a lot of you complaining over some of the mechanics in DX:HR and todays games in general, this has gotten me even more curious. I bet many of the people on here actually have some pretty good ideas floating around in their heads.

Feel free to share ideas If you want to.

(Hope this is a relevant thread)

IOOI
21st Jul 2010, 01:19
I'mOutOfIdeas

K^2
21st Jul 2010, 02:22
Suddenly, the universe makes a little bit more sense.

Absentia
21st Jul 2010, 02:29
Great thread idea!

As it happens, my good friend and I are making a retro-styled point 'n' click adventure game using the AGS (www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk)engine, with me on writing and programming and him handling pretty much everything on the visual side.

The general plot is that the PC, Geoffrey Byrne, 'accidentally' ends up in Hell before his time has come. It's got a little Grim Fandango influence in that Hell is portrayed as somewhat civilized and beaurocratic, but we thought there'd be no better Hell than a dull, decaying office building.

The game is in such an early stage (due to school and laziness) that we haven't really bothered to show it off, but I've made a couple of screenshots quickly to show off here:

(clicky thumbnails)

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab74/simtrip216/th_BIH1.png (http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab74/simtrip216/?action=view&current=BIH1.png)

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab74/simtrip216/th_BIH2.png (http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab74/simtrip216/?action=view&current=BIH2.png)

As for game ideas, I often find myself having more grander ideas that I always forget about. Something I really would like to make is a "realistic" platformer game with a cyberpunk setting. By realistic, I'm talking stuff like Another World, Oddworld, Prince of Persia in terms of control styles and fluid animation that (almost) never cuts out mid-frame. I have no idea in terms of story, I just have a very tiny portion of an engine for it in Flash.

I also think about having a perfect swordfighting mechanic in a video game - one that in some way reflects how a real fight might go about. That is, most of the time swords will clash and no blood is drawn, but a blocked attack is not a bad thing because you are gradually weakening the enemy's "battle morale" which, as it gets lower, will increase the chance of a successful hit to their body - something which in many cases means an instant win, and in others will just put you at a bigger advantage. Exactly how this would actually work in gameplay is something I struggle to envision, though...

Rindill the Red
21st Jul 2010, 02:29
Suddenly, the universe makes a little bit more sense.

Does it? Does it really?

luminar
21st Jul 2010, 02:32
I've got an idea for a combo of a hardcore rpg with lots of skills, an action game ala god of war, convo system similar to deus ex. The story is based off a loose retelling of the story told by the song her ghost in the fog by cradle of filth. Essentially you choose one of 3 characters, a devoted woman paladin, a young noble swordsman/fencer, a big burly exectutioner (who would definetly not be delegated to a comedic role with lines like "Me kill you now!"). After choosing your character the story unfolds. Your engaged to a beautiful woman named Sophia (who is inspired by beatrice from the works of dante alighari.) Your absolutley in love and are looking forward to a life together. You are planning to meet under the light of moon that night to avoid the taboo of seeing each other before the wedding, but to your horror you find your dear sophia brutally murdered and left bare. As insanity grips you sophia appears before you and tells you just what happened. The local priests raped and murdered her as part of an evil ritual to give them godlike powers so they can fullfil ancient prophecies foretold by their religion. It is your task to stop them and to avenge the terrible injustice done to your now dead lover.

The games biggest new feature would be the (I hate to use this term but I cant think of anything else.) insanity meter which basically would function like the combo meter in devil may cry, however as it gets higher and higher you get stronger and faster but insanity also starts to grip you harder and harder. At low levels it would be simply hearing voices or slight graphical glitches, at high levels the controls would start to fail.

Insanity would also play a huge part in the game in terms of storyline, gameplay, everything. it would be based on moral choices you make throughout the game (these would not be measured by a morality system at least not one visible to the player.) so for instance if you choose to kill everyone you meet you will be a much darker kind of insane and might develop a voice in your head constantly whispering and commenting on the goings on. Or if you spare people (this is only one kind of example and a poor one at that. it wouldnt simply be are you a killer or not.) then characters faces and the environment would shift and change. But dont misunderstand anyway you play you end up bat**** crazy!

Anyway that is just a small sample of my idea. theres alot more to it and I think it sounds awsome but unfortanetly I cant code or anything.

Oh yeah and it'd have stealth.

K^2
21st Jul 2010, 02:54
Does it? Does it really?
Yes, it does. You're looking at the instructions upside down.

tartarus_sauce
21st Jul 2010, 03:16
Post-cyberpunk, open-world game set in a futurscape city. Think Deus Ex meets Grand Theft Auto. Three campaigns: anti-tech anarchists, city police detective, and corporate security agent. RPG stat levelling in support of a first or third person shooter perspective. Radically different play styles for each campaign. The anarchists use older weapons and have to focus on stealth, exploiting parkour abilities and misdirection to achieve the objective. City police have easy access to reinforcements and firepower, but can't tolerate civilian casualties- their primary focus is on careful containment. The corporate security agent is heavily augmented, capable of Ghost in the Shell level feats of awesomeness, but lacks backup and has to rely on technology and speed to overcome more numerous police and anarchists.

The story is an old fashioned throwback: some computer is starting to think for itself, and now everyone is going ape**** trying to play the thing to their own ends. The campaigns can be played in any order. Whichever campaign you score highest in gets to decide the outcome, ala the end of Deus Ex or any Bioware game.

Multiplayer would be objective oriented, ala Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Server options would include players commanding squads of bot AI's that would follow and support them. Gameplay would feature strong HUD support for objectives and team play. Each faction would be radically different in terms of weapons, abilities, etc.

Technical innovations would include realistic cityscapes based on sattelite photos, with a dynamic map generation capability that would allow you to pluck a square from Google Earth and see it quickly turned into a map for online play. The cityscapes would, for the first time, have all buildings include interiors. You could enter, and potentially be shot from, any building and any window. Maps would be different every multiplayer game, preventing "gaming" or "glitching" and rewarding tactical prowess instead of familiarity. For once, a multiplayer game would actually have snipers do what they do at the ranges they really do it.

Rindill the Red
21st Jul 2010, 04:04
Post-cyberpunk, open-world game set in a futurscape city. Think Deus Ex meets Grand Theft Auto. Three campaigns: anti-tech anarchists, city police detective, and corporate security agent. RPG stat levelling in support of a first or third person shooter perspective. Radically different play styles for each campaign. The anarchists use older weapons and have to focus on stealth, exploiting parkour abilities and misdirection to achieve the objective. City police have easy access to reinforcements and firepower, but can't tolerate civilian casualties- their primary focus is on careful containment. The corporate security agent is heavily augmented, capable of Ghost in the Shell level feats of awesomeness, but lacks backup and has to rely on technology and speed to overcome more numerous police and anarchists.

The story is an old fashioned throwback: some computer is starting to think for itself, and now everyone is going ape**** trying to play the thing to their own ends. The campaigns can be played in any order. Whichever campaign you score highest in gets to decide the outcome, ala the end of Deus Ex or any Bioware game.

Multiplayer would be objective oriented, ala Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Server options would include players commanding squads of bot AI's that would follow and support them. Gameplay would feature strong HUD support for objectives and team play. Each faction would be radically different in terms of weapons, abilities, etc.

Technical innovations would include realistic cityscapes based on sattelite photos, with a dynamic map generation capability that would allow you to pluck a square from Google Earth and see it quickly turned into a map for online play. The cityscapes would, for the first time, have all buildings include interiors. You could enter, and potentially be shot from, any building and any window. Maps would be different every multiplayer game, preventing "gaming" or "glitching" and rewarding tactical prowess instead of familiarity. For once, a multiplayer game would actually have snipers do what they do at the ranges they really do it.

Sheesh... could you imagine how much this would cost?

maddermadcat
21st Jul 2010, 04:56
I'm working on a silly platformer/RPG about mad science and excellent hats. I shouldn't say any more than that, though. :)

hem dazon 90
21st Jul 2010, 05:06
I would make an adventure game/sandbox hybrid based on the altered carbon trilogy

that and an mmo set in a setting that blends post cyberpunk and Arabian aesthetics.

Rindill the Red
21st Jul 2010, 05:31
that and an mmo set in a setting that blends post cyberpunk and Arabian aesthetics.

Please explain... you have my attentionz, but I don't understand. :poke:

hem dazon 90
21st Jul 2010, 05:46
Please explain... you have my attentionz, but I don't understand. :poke:

Imagine Islamic architecture, with its inspiring domes,arches,gardens,ziggurats and of course the all important persian style calligraphy infused with post cyberpunk style neon lights, above ground metros, geodisic domes, rainy weather and of course computer technology.

If you want to go further you can include Islamic fashions such as turbans , veils , headscarves and other assorted stuff and blend that in with post cyberpunk augmentations and sleek feel to it.

I got the idea when reading about the book zendegi.

pringlepower
21st Jul 2010, 05:48
Imagine Islamic architecture, with its inspiring domes,arches,gardens,ziggurats and of course the all important persian style calligraphy infused with post cyberpunk style neon lights, above ground metros, geodisic domes, rainy weather and of course computer technology.

If you want to go further you can include Islamic fashions such as turbans , veils , headscarves and other assorted stuff and blend that in with post cyberpunk augmentations and sleek feel to it.

I got the idea when reading about the book zendegi.

Okay so no turbans opening up to reveal miniguns?

Hmm I'm pretty sure that's offensive

hem dazon 90
21st Jul 2010, 05:54
Okay so no turbans opening up to reveal miniguns?

Hmm I'm pretty sure that's offensive

the first DLC pack will have that

A good example of blended Islamic architecture would be the Faisal Mosque.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/ShahFaisalMosque-Islamabad.JPG

pringlepower
21st Jul 2010, 06:08
the first DLC pack will have that

A good example of blended Islamic architecture would be the Faisal Mosque.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/ShahFaisalMosque-Islamabad.JPG

Sorta looks like Arabic Las Vegas

hem dazon 90
21st Jul 2010, 06:13
that actually sums up the art direction of my imaginary game more than I did

Caliphate las vegas (with some post cyberpunk)

tartarus_sauce
21st Jul 2010, 06:58
Sheesh... could you imagine how much this would cost?

Hey, OP asked for what we would want in a game. I can't imagine a better game, short of virtual reality stuff.

super...
21st Jul 2010, 07:14
i make games, even get paid for it now and then.

ThePrecursor
21st Jul 2010, 09:28
:D

Nice ideas! I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a similar thread already.

I'll post some of my ideas soon, when I find some time. They are pretty elaborate.

Blade_hunter
21st Jul 2010, 10:37
Like if there was nobody who posted ideas before :rolleyes:

FrankCSIS
21st Jul 2010, 19:05
I sense a plot to steal our ideas.

Not falling for this one, no sir! Do your market research elsewhere!

Shralla
21st Jul 2010, 19:06
Why doesn't anybody know that we have a general forum?

Mindmute
21st Jul 2010, 19:14

And you're so much better than everyone else, by also going off-topic in the already out of place thread to point that out.

Damn! Now you've got me doing it too! ;)

luminar
21st Jul 2010, 23:43

We know were just elitist and dont want anyone but the DX: forum frequenters to be in this discussion! JK!

ThePrecursor
22nd Jul 2010, 10:24
I sense a plot to steal our ideas.

Not falling for this one, no sir! Do your market research elsewhere!

Hey, you totally discovered my evil plan:nut: However, you've scared me a little with that idea :D
And I already wondered in the first post if this thread was relevant or not, so can a mod please answer and lock or leave it?

FrankCSIS
22nd Jul 2010, 18:22
Sorry for the scary part.

As an apology, accept this premise of an idea I had this morning for a Lucasart-type adventure game: The Devil went missing, possibly kidnapped, and St-Peter sends you to investigate.

Go wild with this one!

Pretentious Old Man.
22nd Jul 2010, 18:53
I want a sequel to Darklands. With the original theme music.

spm1138
22nd Jul 2010, 19:39
1) A good planetside successor.
It'd be a big battlefield MMOFPS with a cyberpunk theme and lots of interesting gameplay.
Playable as a stealth em up or a balls to the walls shooter with tanks and huge explosions.

I miss running around in my gimpsuit knifing people and hacking stuff and planting explosives :(

2) A proper tactical shooter.
Remember those?
Thinking? Squads?

Fluffis
22nd Jul 2010, 20:17
Remember those?
Thinking? Squads?

Aaah... Hidden & Dangerous. *sigh*

Ashpolt
22nd Jul 2010, 20:37
Remember those?
Thinking? Squads?

Wat, u meen like Rainbow Six: Vegas? Dat game iz so kewl! Reel deep an stuff!

But seriously, I hear you. Seeing Fluffis mention Hidden and Dangerous above bought a tear to my eye. What a wonderful couple of games they were! May have to reinstall H&D2 soon....when I've cleared my backlog of however many other games I've got on the go (currently replaying KOTOR! Yay!)

As for game ideas....well, I've mentioned on here before my idea of game that plays similarly to Deus Ex, but is set in the 1940s with you playing a private eye, and is absolutely drenched in noir, so I won't go into that again.

Another idea I've had is an open-world game, a la GTA, but with a somewhat smaller world, where you play a cop. The first few missions are fairly standard stuff: screaming around the city in your car, breaking up drug rings, etc, but fairly quickly....we introduce zombies. Yes, there's some kind of outbreak, and over the course of the game, the entire city gets overrun with zombies. The great thing about mixing an open world game with a zombie outbreak (and I mean fully, not just Red Dead Redemption DLC style) is that it presents a natural learning curve: at the start of the outbreak, you're with your squad, and facing only small numbers of zombies at a time. However, as time goes by, more and more of your squad die out, and the zombies keep increasing in number until towards the end, it's just you, alone, against an entire city of zombies. Also, over time, available ammo would run down (at the start you've got an essentially infinite amount from your police HQ, later on you're just going to have to scrounge it from shops you can break into, etc - but each of those would only have a finite amount) and fuel for cars would run out - though of course, after a while travelling by vehicle is going to be impractical as the roads get clogged with bodies, abandoned cars, etc, and it becomes an increasingly on-foot game (hence why I said a smaller world than GTA.)

This actually spun off from an earlier idea I had which was basically the same but with vampires, and was far more stealth focused - the whole point would be that if you got seen, you were very unlikely to win in a direct fight, so you had to get from A to B in this open world without being seen at all: even a journey of a few hundred yards would be a trial. It still had the same idea of the natural difficulty curve though, and a transition from a GTA-style open world shooter to a survival horror experience. Also, as far as I know, there aren't any stealth-heavy open world games out there, so this would be fairly unique. Sadly, however, Vampire Rain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_Rain) (some stay dry and others feel the pain) came out a few years ago, using many of the same ideas, and was apparently terrible. Also, Twilight has, I think, ruined vampires for everyone except teenage girls for at least the next 10 years, so I switched to zombies.

Pretentious Old Man.
22nd Jul 2010, 20:50
I would like to also register my love of the Hidden and Dangerous franchise. King of the tactical shooter crop, for me. Flashpoint was epic, but to be quite frank, it was more about the strategic nature of the operation as a whole and the immediate concern of staying alive than actual tactical combat. At the highest difficulty setting, I don't think any tactical shooter has ever replicated that sheer "think or die" thing that HD2 had going on.

Who wants to bet that H&D3 (which will probably succeed Mafia 2) will be multiplatform? Be fair, at least H&D2 was a viable rival to CoD2 at the time of release. God, they were halycon days. Turd vs Gold Ingot, with Gold Ingot not losing stupidly badly...

I reminisce. Bad POM, bad.

TrickyVein
23rd Jul 2010, 01:24
My personal game idea?

Something that feels like a modern, 21st century equivalent of Crash Bandicoot. Perty, ambitious level design. Groovy music. Crazy characters. Super difficult, and fun.

I have high hopes for Bounty Arms (http://bounty-arms.blogspot.com/).

ThePrecursor
27th Jul 2010, 20:22
Here's a logo I made for a fictional neuroscience & medicine corporation for my story idea (which could very well be a game) - not revealing any story or gameplay aspects yet, I'm still changing and applying concepts:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/HyperGuru/Lotus-logo.jpg

(I couldn't get it the original size, so some detail is lost)

Rindill the Red
28th Jul 2010, 05:01
Wat, u meen like Rainbow Six: Vegas? Dat game iz so kewl! Reel deep an stuff!

But seriously, I hear you. Seeing Fluffis mention Hidden and Dangerous above bought a tear to my eye. What a wonderful couple of games they were! May have to reinstall H&D2 soon....when I've cleared my backlog of however many other games I've got on the go (currently replaying KOTOR! Yay!)

As for game ideas....well, I've mentioned on here before my idea of game that plays similarly to Deus Ex, but is set in the 1940s with you playing a private eye, and is absolutely drenched in noir, so I won't go into that again.

Another idea I've had is an open-world game, a la GTA, but with a somewhat smaller world, where you play a cop. The first few missions are fairly standard stuff: screaming around the city in your car, breaking up drug rings, etc, but fairly quickly....we introduce zombies. Yes, there's some kind of outbreak, and over the course of the game, the entire city gets overrun with zombies. The great thing about mixing an open world game with a zombie outbreak (and I mean fully, not just Red Dead Redemption DLC style) is that it presents a natural learning curve: at the start of the outbreak, you're with your squad, and facing only small numbers of zombies at a time. However, as time goes by, more and more of your squad die out, and the zombies keep increasing in number until towards the end, it's just you, alone, against an entire city of zombies. Also, over time, available ammo would run down (at the start you've got an essentially infinite amount from your police HQ, later on you're just going to have to scrounge it from shops you can break into, etc - but each of those would only have a finite amount) and fuel for cars would run out - though of course, after a while travelling by vehicle is going to be impractical as the roads get clogged with bodies, abandoned cars, etc, and it becomes an increasingly on-foot game (hence why I said a smaller world than GTA.)

This actually spun off from an earlier idea I had which was basically the same but with vampires, and was far more stealth focused - the whole point would be that if you got seen, you were very unlikely to win in a direct fight, so you had to get from A to B in this open world without being seen at all: even a journey of a few hundred yards would be a trial. It still had the same idea of the natural difficulty curve though, and a transition from a GTA-style open world shooter to a survival horror experience. Also, as far as I know, there aren't any stealth-heavy open world games out there, so this would be fairly unique. Sadly, however, Vampire Rain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_Rain) (some stay dry and others feel the pain) came out a few years ago, using many of the same ideas, and was apparently terrible. Also, Twilight has, I think, ruined vampires for everyone except teenage girls for at least the next 10 years, so I switched to zombies.

Ever heard of Prototype? They tried the whole GTA+Zombie thing, and, while somewhat fun, it pretty much fell flat on its face.

Ashpolt
28th Jul 2010, 08:46
Prototype failed for reasons nothing to do with the "GTA + zombies" idea. (In fact, being honest it was barely even that idea.) Prototype failed due to bland characters, horrendous difficulty spikes, a boring city, overly repetitive gameplay and unstructured missions.

Underdog106
28th Jul 2010, 10:02
So ive had a couple of ideas for the game 4 in fact these are:

The ability to hack into mechs if out numbered by numerous foes, this would give you vital breathing space in a crowded fight. Now this would be cool:lmao:
I know this might not be needed but its just a thought.The ability to switch to nightvision mode in darkened areas for stealth missions or something
The abiltiy to pilot that nifty aircraft that was present in the trailer, and boy would i love to pilot that with rockets and machine guns mounted on it
Last but not least the abiltiy to scan civilians how have a criminal record, this could be used for criminals that have something to do with the plot or could help to piece together vital clues

Underdog106
28th Jul 2010, 10:10
I just thought about this one i thought hey since you play as a cybernetically advanced person wouldn't be quite cool to speak in 5 or 8 different languages. Like if you bumped into someone how spoke french or spanish to somehow upload the file to your brain and instantly start speaking it.:scratch::lmao:

Absentia
28th Jul 2010, 10:19
Prototype failed for reasons nothing to do with the "GTA + zombies" idea. (In fact, being honest it was barely even that idea.) Prototype failed due to bland characters, horrendous difficulty spikes, a boring city, overly repetitive gameplay and unstructured missions.

I actually thought Prototype was a lot of fun. Then again, I almost never took the story seriously and by the end of I didn't really know what happened (or cared.) I know as Deus Ex fans we hold storyline in high regard, but there are plenty of games where I will allow myself to switch off that expectation/requirement completely. To be frank I just enjoyed blowing everything up, throwing cars at helicopters, butt-stomping a tank (sort of), etc. They didn't exactly keep the gameplay that fresh with the story missions, but I wouldn't go as far to say that the game "failed."

Another thing - the music and sound design for that game was awesome. It was composed by Sascha Dikiciyan (Sonic Mayhem - remember Quake II?) and Cris Velasco, and has a great blend of very dark electronica and orchestral scoring that both composers are respectively known for.
There's a Gamasutra article about how audio was implemented in the game, which is a great read if you care a lot about video game audio. I can't remember much, but I think the game had a continuous 10 tracks of ambience, recorded from real-life Manhattan, which were dynamically mixed depending on your position in the city (different areas of Manhattan sound different,) how high you were, how many citizens were on-screen, etc. It's a shame that the game portrays civilians like toys, unavoidably knocked over like skittles in pretty much every outdoor combat sequence there is, because that level of detail with the ambience really couldve been used to good effect to create a believeable lived-in world (which was probably the intention.)

On a related but off-topic sidenote - I'm really hoping audio will be taken very seriously in DXHR as well, especially since a believable world is something Dugas keeps saying they're after. DX managed to portray its atmosphere on the audio side of things just with its expressive music (understandably so because of technology limitations) but since it seems like DXHR is going to have perhaps a more minimalist, less intrusive soundtrack I assume ambient audio is going to play a large part in making the world feel alive. With on-the-fly DSP and dynamic mixing being such a common thing to do nowadays (and supposedly not CPU-intensive - I'm looking at you, Bad Company 2) I hope it's something that the developers will explore a lot. I always love it when games sound great, and even though it's such an overlooked aspect, it's one of the most vital things to get right in a game if you're going for the whole immersion thing.

Ashpolt
28th Jul 2010, 10:43
I actually thought Prototype was a lot of fun. Then again, I almost never took the story seriously and by the end of I didn't really know what happened (or cared.) I know as Deus Ex fans we hold storyline in high regard, but there are plenty of games where I will allow myself to switch off that expectation/requirement completely. To be frank I just enjoyed blowing everything up, throwing cars at helicopters, butt-stomping a tank (sort of), etc. They didn't exactly keep the gameplay that fresh with the story missions, but I wouldn't go as far to say that the game "failed."

Fair enough, I agree it wasn't a terrible game, but it definitely wasn't a great one either - so please replace "Prototype failed because..." in my above post with "Prototype's flaws stemmed from..." :P

I think part of the problem for me was that I played it at roughly the same time as InFamous, which was very similar, and while still far from perfect, was definitely a lot better.

Superhero games are unlikely to ever beat Spider-Man 2 / Ultimate Spider-Man for me. :P

ThePrecursor
28th Jul 2010, 13:00
@ Underdog106: This thread is about your personal game ideas, it's not a DX:HR wishlist. Just so you know.

pringlepower
28th Jul 2010, 15:05
Fair enough, I agree it wasn't a terrible game, but it definitely wasn't a great one either - so please replace "Prototype failed because..." in my above post with "Prototype's flaws stemmed from..." :P

I think part of the problem for me was that I played it at roughly the same time as InFamous, which was very similar, and while still far from perfect, was definitely a lot better.

Superhero games are unlikely to ever beat Spider-Man 2 / Ultimate Spider-Man for me. :P

FREEDOM FORCE (vs the Third Reich)!!!

Rindill the Red
31st Jul 2010, 01:01
So ive had a couple of ideas for the game 4 in fact these are:

The ability to hack into mechs if out numbered by numerous foes, this would give you vital breathing space in a crowded fight. Now this would be cool:lmao:
I know this might not be needed but its just a thought.The ability to switch to nightvision mode in darkened areas for stealth missions or something
The abiltiy to pilot that nifty aircraft that was present in the trailer, and boy would i love to pilot that with rockets and machine guns mounted on it
Last but not least the abiltiy to scan civilians how have a criminal record, this could be used for criminals that have something to do with the plot or could help to piece together vital clues

Wow, that criminal scan thing is sorta a cool idea.

-- I could see that playing into the conversation system. -- Research your target to gain information and leverage/knowledge of how to approach.
-- If you have side-mission/s as a bounty hunter that would be pretty cool for that too.

Imagine yourself walking through a crowded urban cyberpunk street (think Bladerunner), and as you are walking you study the faces of the people passing you... suddenly your internal HUD turns red and a readout on a bounty target comes up... it's the vendor of the hot dog stand, he's wanted in Seattle for a multiple murder, he's changed his face in a few ways but the bone structure is the same -- a DNA analysis would provide proof
Do you...
-- Ignore him -- too much trouble to catch him and bring him to the police--or helicopter if the government doesn't care.
-- Engage him in conversation -- Talk to him to verify/deny his identity subtly - through conversation or by subtly gaining something with his DNA
-- Maybe attempt to blackmail him into doing something for you... give you money or something for a mission
- But he may get violent.

atLaNt1s
31st Jul 2010, 02:52
My game idea is a city building game Caesar III style

Abram730
14th Aug 2010, 22:21
Has anyone on this board ever had any solid game ideas? I've always been interested in how other gamers envision a good game. After seeing a lot of you complaining over some of the mechanics in DX:HR and todays games in general, this has gotten me even more curious. I bet many of the people on here actually have some pretty good ideas floating around in their heads.

Feel free to share ideas If you want to.

(Hope this is a relevant thread)

I envisioned a civilization like game starting before fire... You play as a God who is actual a species of brain parasites... You could only control one host at a time but you could create procedural changes to all hosts by rewarding certain actions.. It would as I said be procedural in that action + object = emotion encoding of memory or dopamine pleasure reward...
You would start the game by choosing a predator for sexual reproduction who needs to eat your hosts.. After you get an action that will get you host eaten by you chosen predator you get them eaten by the chosen predator and you then sexually reproduce turning your chosen predator into a egg factory to make new hosts. You could sort host prey by certain criteria like birth rate.. using low birth rate host animals as food and high birth rate animals as breeding stock.. for example low birth rate = like + predator... high birth rate = fear + predator... This lets you evolve your food web..
After you are well established and great in numbers you target humans. It moves to getting human to care for your animal egg factories and the building of a civilization and religion.. With religion hosts teach non hosts your procedures, thus letting you create a civilization. To make the religion stick you need to get some of them eaten though. Hosts may see the significance in the sacrifice but not the host animal and start slaughtering each other the chosen predator could get scraps of the dead hosts that way and you've got a big problem.. you could loose it all as that spreads. As you can only control one individual damage control could be hard. Because religion is passed from to non hosts you could loose control and have it turn on you... burning your predators and killing your hosts... you could respond with a plague spread by your hosts to show that they have angered their God. You would face other parasite Gods and their civilizations... Do you go to war or out compete them? or attempt to take control of them by getting your hosts eaten in their cities, sort of a Christian and lions kind of thing. At the civilization level you are past evolving hosts.. you need to collect great minds, and great leaders. You control your civilization threw them by creating a group mind out of them... sort of a, If you put enough monkeys in front of typewriters you'll get hamlet eventually.. in that one of your hosts has a great Idea and you reward that idea causing all hosts to become obsessed with it and they will attempt to make it real... This is how you do research by adjusting rewards for Ideas for new technology, thus determining how much time is spent on them. Religious intolerance would be a good defense against other parasite Gods, but would restrict tech advancement. As a parasite God you don't speak.. just choose the voice your host hear.

each stage would be a game release... nature to tribal, next tribal to agrarian...ext

Quite a complex game, also twisted and dark..
If that's not an innovative idea for a game... I don't know what is lol.

A good song for the game
Mortiis - Parasite God
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM-VTCesxHg

Inspired by real mind control parasites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgAEeisfHW8

"Can the common brain parasite, Toxoplasma gondii, influence human culture?"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1635495/

sharpblade
15th Aug 2010, 18:04
probably somebody already said it but : why not putting the Deus Ex 1 soundtrack as custom tracks
from the menu of Deus Ex HR ?

sorry for my bad english .

^__^

xsamitt
15th Aug 2010, 18:06
DX 4 with Warren Spector and Alexander Brandon involved.

sharpblade
15th Aug 2010, 18:08
xsamitt i agrree . Spector rulez.

:D

Qoerhqow
23rd Sep 2010, 02:58
The healer complains the caster DPS gets to roll not only on items like this but also on cloth stuff with +hit, effectually rolling on everything cloth in ICC. So as the good WOW (RuneScape Gold (http://www.storeingame.com))players they will have a good chance to get the WOW RuneScape Gold (http://www.rsfarming.com/). I can kinda see what he means. My question is what's an easy way differentiate "healer" gear from caster "DPS" gear, or is it all rolled into one big pot now? Thanks for any help you (Buy WOW Gold (http://www.zyy.com))can give me, I am not the guild leader but I am the full time loot master, the guild leader has given (Cheap RS Gold (http://www.gobuycheaprsgold.com))it to me to decide, as he's never played any caster at all.

pringlepower
23rd Sep 2010, 03:21
DX 4 with Warren Spector and Alexander Brandon involved.

Oh, you mean DX 1?

hem dazon 90
23rd Sep 2010, 04:10
A GTA- style game set in the budayeen or some other kind of cyberpunk middle east

Pinky_Powers
23rd Sep 2010, 04:16
A GTA- style game set in the budayeen or some other kind of cyberpunk middle east

But... all the horrid sand! :eek:

nomotog
23rd Sep 2010, 05:00
I have a idea for a mystery game. It's kind of a lot like "condemned". The idea is you would play the role of D.C.'s first "wired cop". You would have a set of tools like UV lights and finger print scanners that you would use to gather evidence. OK It's pretty much exactly like "condemned", but where it gets different is in multiply player.

You would be paired up with another player and the two of you would pick a map. The maps would be closed spaces with about five NPCs. You each would go into your own version of the map where you control one of the NPCs. You would be given so much time to kill another NPC and cover it up before the time runs out. After that you switch worlds and where your now the detective and are trying to figure out which NPC the other player used before they find out what NPC you used.

rubiomhs
23rd Sep 2010, 07:10
police rpg. i played a mod for gta4 that allowed you to play as one of the police characters and drive around responding to disturbances.

i see potential in a game like that with an expanded story and more interesting things to do other than stop vehicles and go on killing sprees(really the only two non-boring things in the mod you can do as a cop)

another idea i had was something like condemned, except without the ludicrous supernatural stuff. something along the lines of se7en, including visiting crime scenes, finding clues and whatnot.

Pinky_Powers
23rd Sep 2010, 07:47
another idea i had was something like condemned, except without the ludicrous supernatural stuff. something along the lines of se7en, including visiting crime scenes, finding clues and whatnot.

I'd play that. :thumb:

FrankCSIS
23rd Sep 2010, 11:28
Basically, a real Police Quest sequel. I'm in!

H.D.Case
23rd Sep 2010, 13:27
As a nine-year-old I envisioned The Sims in 2D. They were faster and made it in 3D :/ Plus, I've never educated myself for a programmer ;)

lithos
23rd Sep 2010, 15:14
A game wherein the US is the bad guy.

It'd be worth it for the controversy.

rubiomhs
23rd Sep 2010, 15:36
A game wherein the US is the bad guy.

It'd be worth it for the controversy.

good luck getting an sales with that, or finding a publisher. maybe an iran based company.

lithos
23rd Sep 2010, 15:39
I always wondered how well Splinter Cell sold in Georgia.

hem dazon 90
23rd Sep 2010, 19:55
But... all the horrid sand! :eek:

I like sand

Or an adventure game based on the Dervish House

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_t68ar0SFX54/TA0SSzUhJxI/AAAAAAAAE6A/zxynmAVQ-4g/s1600/The+Dervish+House+UK.jpg

IOOI
23rd Sep 2010, 20:16
I'd play that. :thumb:

I like it. :thumb:

deggen
23rd Sep 2010, 23:00
Games i'd like to see (although they have probably been done and i can't find them)

A good game based on the Crusades where you play a Knight.

A highlander/time travelling game where you have levels in different epochs/etc.

Similarly, a Hitman:Generations where you assassinate famous people in history. Alexander the Great, Lincoln, Archduke, etc

An Age of Empires or Company of Heroes type game where you play the Old Testament Israelite campaigns just mincing the Amorites and co. haha. Maybe make them Giants/alien hybrids for more variety.

A game where you eliminate all these marvel style 'heroes' and you're just a Leon type killer.

And Mafia 3 based on Goodfellas.

AxiomaticBadger
23rd Sep 2010, 23:41
I'd like to see a conspiracy game based aboard an interstellar multi-generational arkship.

I'd also like to see an rpg where 10% of the sidequests are always accessable, 10% are based on race, 10% based on class with the entire remainder being based on your companions. I'm looking at you bioware!
Seriously, ME2 had one quest per character. One! Companion quests are always the most interesting quests!
Silly bioware.

sonicsidewinder
24th Sep 2010, 00:49
A highlander/time travelling game where you have levels in different epochs/etc.

Look what i made, just for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlander:_The_Game

Oj. ;) Our 'best buddies' are publishing it. Could be good. Could be Terrible.

---

As for an idea. Hows about an MMO set during the Napoleanic wars with 'battlegrounds' consisting of thousands of players. They have to work together manually changing formations and marching into battle.

1st rank! Fire!

..and so on. Would probobly be fun; worth 1 month subscription at least.

Choose your country! Choose your Military Ocupation!

Hell, thinking about it now, it doesnt have to focus solely on the Wars. You could be a trader, a New World Explorer, a Missionary sent to India. Think about it!

"MMO Total War!"
Creative Assembley must be told!

pringlepower
24th Sep 2010, 00:57
Look what i made, just for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlander:_The_Game

Oj. ;) Our 'best buddies' are publishing it. Could be good. Could be Terrible.

---

As for an idea. Hows about an MMO set during the Napoleanic wars with 'battlegrounds' consisting of thousands of players. They have to work together manually changing formations and marching into battle.

1st rank! Fire!

..and so on. Would probobly be fun; worth 1 month subscription at least.

Choose your country! Choose your Military Ocupation!

Hell, thinking about it now, it doesnt have to focus solely on the Wars. You could be a trader, a New World Explorer, a Missionary sent to India. Think about it!

"MMO Total War!"
Creative Assembley must be told!

The fun sort of game where you fire your gun, most likely miss, then reload for 2 minutes before firing again? That is, if the gun doesn't jam.

sonicsidewinder
24th Sep 2010, 01:02
The fun sort of game where you fire your gun, most likely miss, then reload for 2 minutes before firing again? That is, if the gun doesn't jam.

"A skilled unit of musketeers was able to fire three rounds per minute when drilled." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket

Still, you'd probs have to be level 60+ to reload with such speed in MMO Total War. :D

pringlepower
24th Sep 2010, 01:14
"A skilled unit of musketeers was able to fire three rounds per minute when drilled." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket

Still, you'd probs have to be level 60+ to reload with such speed in MMO Total War. :D

Haha yeah. Well there actually was an RPG of similar setting, a Korean one called Granado Espada, set during a fictional, magical, and koreanized Age of Discovery setting. And, like all good Korean games, it's full of grind grind grind.

Facebyface
24th Sep 2010, 01:25
I've had many game ideas from top to bottom. Unfortunately they mostly fall into the category of RPG and FPS so I'm not sure how good they actually would be >>

However, once things get underway for this game and an SDK is found I will be working on a Deus Ex mod that will attempt to turn the morality system in games like Mass Effect on their head. Not going to discuss how of course, but it's a decent framework to start off of. I really like the tech being used for DX: HR and I think it has the framework to be the innovative experience the original was. I want to try and use that to tell a story first off and see if me and games actually work together.

Future ideas could be possible. I've always wanted to work in games industry, but I find the life of theater and film more up my alley. Also voice acting, but that's a side thought. We've all imagined games, wrote up maps, scripts, and all that but little incentive drives itself to try and do it. Hopefully those with the talent find the courage to push forward and get working on games so we have a better experience for tomorrow. Until my incentive for writing drives me to take up coding though, I'll probably always be just the ideas guy.

AlexOfSpades
24th Sep 2010, 11:59
This is not an idea of mine, but an idea from Red Nemesis. It's from a mod they're working on.

The story is..:

You've been locked in a cell for ninety days.

A food dispenser brings you three meals a day, and by your twenty-fourth dinner you gave up trying to squeeze your way through the slot. Your cell has no doors, and even after ninety days you have no idea how they brought you here.

The man on the intercom calls himself Caesar. The name he uses to refer to you is not yours, but after ninety days you've gotten used to it. He does not answer your shouts. Just a pleasant good morning, good evening most days. On your thirtieth day, Caesar gave you a blank journal and a fountain pen along with your breakfast. Jello with a side of stationary. You often wonder what would happen if you try to stab your carotid with it. What would Caesar do then? Something tells you nothing. By day fifty, despite everything...you begin to look forward to your meals. They certainly taste better than anything you've ever eaten on the frontier.

Every day you do one thousand push-ups and one thousand jackknives. Every evening after supper you write in your journal. Some nights, if the mood strikes you just right, you gratify yourself. Caesar is kind of enough to replenish your pens.

On the ninetieth day something different happens. Caesar speaks to you like he has never spoken to you. He tells you that you are being released. He also tells you that there are other people in other cells, and they have been there this whole time. Each of them has a name like yours. Misters and Misses. And there are eight of you. Caesar tells you that only one of you can leave. You deduce the situation even before he elaborates. Eight people. Eight weapons. One labyrinth of metal, grates, pipes, and steam. And an exit fit for one. You do the math, and write your last journal entry.

They're planning on making that up a Unreal Mod. Sounds cool? Sounds cool!

But i have an idea to make it an online shooter. Maybe a third person one. (May sound sucky. Read below:)

The gameplay would be as it follows:

Game starts as you're at Level 1 (that is, floor one).

The cell opens as a deathmatch session starts, with other 7 new players. If you're the last man standing, surviving the battle, another door opens, leading to a corridor with another door. The door will open as he entered another large room, with other cells (or other corridors where other winners came through), that is, another deathmatch arena.

After winning a couple of these arena's, being the last man standing, a door will open leading to a staircase that brings you to the second floor. (That is, level 2).

And you keep on following this pattern, earning level ups (that is, going upper in the "complex" where you are), and the arena's are changing. The loading between the deathmatch sessions will be on real time, so it will really feel like you just entered another room.

The more you advance, the more the arena's change, maybe with more or less players, maybe different rules.

As you log into the game, the main screen presents you many oldschool industrial screens with real-time cameras from the arenas, so you can actually see how is it to be a high level character and so on.

And maybe the story would progress as you go levels up, maybe you could discover that you're on some kind of violent version of Big Brother's. People are watching and betting on you people.

Wouldnt it be cool?

Did i explained it well?

Senka
24th Sep 2010, 12:24
It'd be cool as a SP game with decent storytelling etc while hunting for the others, boring as hell as a multiplayer game.

lithos
24th Sep 2010, 16:56
Of course, a game developer's forum is the last place on Earth I'd air my ideas for games.

Mindmute
24th Sep 2010, 16:58
Of course, a game developer's forum is the last place on Earth I'd air my ideas for games.

Air an idea, copyright the IP in as much secrecy as you can and then sue them when the time comes... You'll make millions I tell you, millions! *insert Dugas-like laugh here*

JCpies
24th Sep 2010, 17:19
A third person WWII Ninja game. You're basically a ninja/assassin sent to infiltrate enemy strongholds/countries etc.

Here's a *basic* mission you could take on in the game; Eliminate all AA guns in this area of the city. You'd have to sneak around the given area, avoiding patrols, and destroying the gun emplacements or killing the soldiers stationed on them.

It's like assassin's creed, but at night, you have to use shadows to your advantage and you can use items to destroy lights, distract soldiers/people etc. like in Deadly Shadows.

You can take on missions from several clients, E.G US army, European resistance groups, Germany etc.

lithos
24th Sep 2010, 18:36
It's like assassin's creed, but at night, you have to use shadows to your advantage and you can use items to destroy lights, distract soldiers/people etc. like in Deadly Shadows.

So, Splinter Cell: 1944?

AlexOfSpades
24th Sep 2010, 18:54

Well said.

*deletes post*

sonicsidewinder
24th Sep 2010, 23:56
Haha yeah. Well there actually was an RPG of similar setting, a Korean one called Granado Espada, set during a fictional, magical, and koreanized Age of Discovery setting.

Might check that crap out brotha!

And, like all good Korean games, it's full of grind grind grind.

arr maybe not, it'll be Silk Road all over again. lol

Edit//

Trying this out anyway. Solo-Party based mmo? New to me and worth a try.

pringlepower
25th Sep 2010, 00:43
Might check that crap out brotha!

arr maybe not, it'll be Silk Road all over again. lol

Edit//

Trying this out anyway. Solo-Party based mmo? New to me and worth a try.

Ha I remember Silk Road. I tried it a few times, kept quitting around level 10. So before I actually got to the Silk Road part...

My old comp couldn't run Espada, and nowadays I hate asian MMOs, so I can't say how good it is. But it definitely looks nice, and the setting is nice, if nothing else.

AlexOfSpades
25th Sep 2010, 01:00
As for asian MMO's i'm on the brazilian servers of Aika.

luminar
26th Sep 2010, 01:38
So, Splinter Cell: 1944?

This would be so badass! I can't even explain it.

KSingh77
26th Sep 2010, 01:59
Splinter Cell:Stand Alone Complex

spm1138
26th Sep 2010, 20:57
If I was gonna do a GITS game it'd have really tac-shooter-ey action sections.

Remember the shootout with the GSDF special forces team?