PDA

View Full Version : Eidos set such a good example, let's do as they do :)

GeorgeMaciver
19th Jul 2010, 16:30
As the nice Eidos board like to tell us they 'do it for the fans' I think we should reciprocate and 'do it for the Board'.

I suggest all PC and PS Tomb Raider fans don't download GoL until one month after it's been released for these platforms. I make that around . . . er . . . the end of October. I won't download it until then.

It's a good job we love Lara and Tomb Raider and Crystal Dynamics, or I wouldn't be here.

PS I've made it a lifelong commitment to do everything in my power to stop people from ever buying a stupid XBox.

:wave:

dark7angel
19th Jul 2010, 17:01
That's just silly... :hmm: I sure as hell will buy it the moment it is available for PS3 and I don't care if 360 is geting it first!!! I would be mad if it didn't come out for PS3 but it is!!!

lilhanhan
19th Jul 2010, 17:17
It's a shame that you feel that way. But may I ask what benefit you'll get from this... umm, this odd attempt to boycott something I guess? Well actually it's not exactly a boycott if you decide to buy the thing eventually but anyway...

PS I've made it a lifelong commitment to do everything in my power to stop people from ever buying a stupid XBox.

Sorry but you're a bit too late to "save" me, hehe! Sorry 'bout that. :p

I guess what I've just typed in another thread is true!

That being said I've never really been a fan of exclusivity deals as they can generate conflict from opposing console fans, but at the same time I know that franchises can benefit from them. They're like a double edge sword. ^.^;

chriss_99
19th Jul 2010, 17:32
Well George, I understand that you feel sorry about the whole deal with Microsoft. The only good thing about it is that GOL will get an extra promotion which, in a way, is necessary for the Tomb raider series.
I explain to myself that this is the way gaming industry works these days. I miss the '90s where there were no exclusivities and PC gamers were a much more respected community. Boycotting the game will do us no good. All we can do is be patient and wait till September. I'm sure the game is worth the wait. :)

jhngyu
19th Jul 2010, 21:36
That's just silly... :hmm: I sure as hell will buy it the moment it is available for PS3 and I don't care if 360 is geting it first!!! I would be mad if it didn't come out for PS3 but it is!!!

Ah ah ah , honestly i didnt like the ideia of xbox getting the game first ...

I'm a pc player ... I think it should all be equal :mad2:
:rasp:

aussie500
20th Jul 2010, 01:39
As the nice Eidos board like to tell us they 'do it for the fans' I think we should reciprocate and 'do it for the Board'.

I suggest all PC and PS Tomb Raider fans don't download GoL until one month after it's been released for these platforms. I make that around . . . er . . . the end of October. I won't download it until then.

It's a good job we love Lara and Tomb Raider and Crystal Dynamics, or I wouldn't be here.

So how does downloading the game 1 month after release on Steam and PSN have any effect on Microsoft exactly? And really how would downloading any version of the game 1 month later matter at all, you are still going to be paying the same price for it, and they do not publish figures for XBLA or PSN downloads, you buy it at all they are happy. It seems like you want the XBLA version to do really well in order to encourage Microsoft to try to get another advantage or exclusive when TR9 is released. Trying to get sales to drop for the PS3 and PC version will have no effect on Microsoft, they only care about those who are going to buy it for the Xbox 360, but the more people who buy their version and the less who buy the others the happier they will be. It is bad enough everyone else has to wait an extra month, without people asking them to wait 2 extra months for no good reason. Yes it would be really fair next time to completely drop the PS3 and PC versions and let Microsoft have the game all to themselves, you would do better to encourage more people to buy the PC and PS3 versions to prevent that ever happening. At least if there was a massive rush to get the PS3 version Sony might consider it worthwhile next time trying to get their own exclusives, or getting the game early. Please do not try and sabotage the sales for the other 2 versions, because the fans are going to be the main ones who suffer if your plan ever worked.

And what does any decision made by Square Enix and Microsoft have to do with this forum anyway, this place is run by fans and a few Eidos/Square Enix helpers who volunteer a bit of their spare time. Do not try blaming them for your wacky ideas.

Ants_27_
20th Jul 2010, 08:25
How far are you willing to go to save something you love?:p
See, Heavy Rain is that realistic that even the saying could be applied to pretty much any situation.

On a more serious note. Its not going to kill you having to wait... besides there are so many other awesome things to do besides games (though this is easy for me cause I don't play games that often anymore!), but yeah just do something else till it arrives or play other games! Everyones a winner then:lol:

Or you could sue? I doubt you get a chance in hell of winning, going by some of the lawsuits thrown at sony... they fended off the entire 'fleet' of the church of England over and that aint nothing to laugh at.

Sorry I'll be more serious (woke up in such a random mood). But yeah boycotts don't really work, just like petitions really. It won't change like cause the fact of the matter is Square know that your eventually going to buy it. Make sense?:)

_Love2Raid_
20th Jul 2010, 14:03
Wow George, I had not expected something like this from you! :o:hmm:

I know it must be a disappointment for the PC and PS3 players, but after those 4 weeks all of us will have the game. It's not a permanent exclusive.

This is just business as usual. Eidos/Square got a great deal with this, the only catch was the minimum of 4 weeks exclusive (that's part of the deal, Microsoft asks this when you want your game to be a part of this event). Microsoft needs to ask this, because it won't help them much to sell their console otherwise. Eidos/Square need to sell this game to make a profit out of it, it would be a shame if they had ignored this great opportunity. It will help them a lot to advertise the game, to attract more gamers. In the end, this is good for us too. If this becomes a succes, it will put TR back on the map!

Now if Steam or the PSN (Playstation Network) had a similar event or deal or whatever, they could have had this exclusive. But apparently they don't. :o
It's not some sort of conspiracy. Microsoft just showed interest in Lara and this game, they want to give it a chance. Keep in mind, developers are literally standing in line to get their game to be a part of this. It's a privilege!
Again, it would have been foolish to not accept!

People from Crystal Dynamics have made it very clear that their aim is to release the game for the other players as soon as these 4 weeks are over, so they do care!

Pulse
20th Jul 2010, 15:05
Sony Fan Bous :rolleyes:

Pulse
20th Jul 2010, 15:06
Sony Fan Boys :rolleyes:

GeorgeMaciver
20th Jul 2010, 16:25
Hi, this isn't a disappointment, it's a clear case of the Eidos Board stuffing the fans to keep a handful of selfish share holders happy. By the time we get the game, all the spoilers and screenshots and surprises and easter eggs and video walkthroughs will be plastered all over the internet and our gaming experience will have been severely degraded.

That's a fact.

And I know Crystal care. I know CD have their hearts in the game. Underworld is clear testimony to their love for the game. My prayer is that someone buys CD and Tomb Raider and takes it away from the Eidos Board, who have repeatedly shown that they care nothing for our game or the fans who play it.

:)

Ants_27_
20th Jul 2010, 16:35
And I know Crystal care. I know CD have their hearts in the game. Underworld is clear testimony to their love for the game. My prayer is that someone buys CD and Tomb Raider and takes it away from the Eidos Board, who have repeatedly shown that they care nothing for our game or the fans who play it.

But bare in mind Eidos no longer own it... merely square Enix... unless I've not understood it properly?:scratch:

aussie500
20th Jul 2010, 17:12
Hi, this isn't a disappointment, it's a clear case of the Eidos Board stuffing the fans to keep a handful of selfish share holders happy. By the time we get the game, all the spoilers and screenshots and surprises and easter eggs and video walkthroughs will be plastered all over the internet and our gaming experience will have been severely degraded.

That's a fact.

Square Enix brought Eidos last year, so neither Crystal Dynamics nor Tomb Raider will be changing owners unless Square Enix sell either. That is not going to happen. There is no longer an Eidos board, it is just a brand name now, they changed their name to Square Enix Europe. And since Crystal Dynamics seem to have in house brand management blaming someone in the UK or Japan for them agreeing Microsoft could release the game earlier seems pointless. Releasing the game early is nothing to do with shareholders, Square Enix Europe is not a public company, they do not have to pander to the whims of flighty shareholders any more. That was the main advantage of the takeover, getting rid of all the public shareholders. They think a game needs more time for development now, they can just give them more time without having to worry about losing the company when the shareholders voice their dissatisfaction about the delay, no more stock exchange woes.

chriss_99
20th Jul 2010, 17:34

I know it's hard but I will try to avoid all the walkthough videos, screenshots, and comments on the game. I spoiled myself before Underworld release and, although I did enjoy the game a lot, I know that the first playthrough would be even better if I didn't see all those spoilers.

Ants_27_
20th Jul 2010, 18:28
I know it's hard but I will try to avoid all the walkthough videos, screenshots, and comments on the game. I spoiled myself before Underworld release and, although I did enjoy the game a lot, I know that the first playthrough would be even better if I didn't see all those spoilers.

Then again your not likely to get spoiled unless you look for them...

I'm sure the majority of people do appreciate that people don't want to find out the ending or what-have-ya unless they want to find out. Then again you do have a few... one guy that spoiled Heavy Rain for me... told me who the killer was the day before it was released... I mean c'mon I've waited since 2006 for this!:lol:

Danielsun_
20th Jul 2010, 20:00
i would get involved in this pointing out all the logic ect but my fellow tour guide has done all that

cheers ants ;)

on that note, george i thought someone who has been part of the eidos community for so long would want the best for Lara and TR this is only going to help by boosting her influence

my friends who have never been interested in TR are looking forward to this game

GeorgeMaciver
20th Jul 2010, 21:13
How do you avoid a month of spoilers and screenshots and chat threads about the game? I know business is business, but this just isn't right.

lilhanhan
20th Jul 2010, 22:29
How do you avoid a month of spoilers and screenshots and chat threads about the game? I know business is business, but this just isn't right.

It's quite easy actually, as I've done it with quite a few games throughout the years (although admittedly I have failed on occasion but for the most part it's not that hard to avoid them).

It may not seem right but hey that's life! Sometimes you just have to put up with things which seem unfair, it's just the way it is. :)

Ants_27_
21st Jul 2010, 08:49

It's quite easy, though everyone's different. For example, that trailer and interview posted the other day on these forums... I didn't watch them cause I've seen what I need to...

For me it's easy not to look at spoilers but I suppose it depends on who you are.:)

kiss-bite
21st Jul 2010, 11:51
I'm the same in the sense that GOL is exactly how I always expected it to be since the moment I saw the very first screenshots. After, seeing those first few d├ębut images of the game along with the first short description... I imagined it in movement in my mind. When the time came & the first ever actual moving footage of GOL was revealed... it confirmed that what I was expecting would be what I would be getting. No surprises for me personally speaking... :)

I also do recognise that GOL is an arcade game, nothing new... but new for the Tomb Raider brand. In fact, if it were not for lady Lara Croft being in this game... also being titled with her iconic name, it could be any arcade digital game. That isn't to say that it doesn't look like a GREAT arcade game, because I believe it does.... it looks fun, especially the co-op mode! :D

I don't need to look at any new media because I already know what to expect... so in that sense it can't be spoiled really for me personally. Those who are genuinely worried about the game being spoiled in any way or form, should simply just avoid this forum once it is released on XBL. I wouldn't put too much faith in all having any consideration for those that can't play, during the exclusive period. Stay clear during the 4 week (or more) wait period...

bedazzled
21st Jul 2010, 19:28
It's a shame that you feel that way. But may I ask what benefit you'll get from this... umm, this odd attempt to boycott something I guess? Well actually it's not exactly a boycott if you decide to buy the thing eventually but anyway...

I won't be buying it period.