PDA

View Full Version : Intersrellar Marines - FP Evolution?

7h30n
17th Jul 2010, 09:15
Edit: Oh crap, I wrote Intersrellar ... It should be Interstellar Marines
Sorry if this is out of place... but I always though of Deus Ex as the best First Person Role Playing Game and the best immersive game of all times (next to Half Life).

This is an interesting video of an upcoming FPS that brings some new & old things to the table.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/fps-evolved-interstellar-marines/701825

Discuss!

pringlepower
17th Jul 2010, 09:24
Edit: Oh crap, I wrote Intersrellar ... It should be Interstellar Marines
Sorry if this is out of place... but I always though of Deus Ex as the best First Person Role Playing Game and the best immersive game of all times (next to Half Life).

This is an interesting video of an upcoming FPS that brings some new & old things to the table.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/fps-evolved-interstellar-marines/701825

Discuss!

These great "selling points" such as zooming by clicking the mouse, hearing bullet reverb and your breath, dynamic weapon customization have all been done by other shooters. The reload thing is the only new thing I can see, and part of that was done in Mafia already (you always reload a full clip instead of individual rounds).

And in the final comparison to MW2, I can't really see what's so impressive. Sure the footsteps are louder, but it's on metal instead of the carpet of the MW2 museum level. I dunno, maybe I'm biased since I'm one of the rare few on this forum who thinks MW and MW2 were good games.

7h30n
17th Jul 2010, 09:31
That's why I said new & old.

The thing is, I find it so funny that the game's selling points have become things that were done before, and used a lot more often (like reloading) but the mainstreaming of the games removed those things...

Fluffis
17th Jul 2010, 09:33
These great "selling points" such as zooming by clicking the mouse, hearing bullet reverb and your breath, dynamic weapon customization have all been done by other shooters. The reload thing is the only new thing I can see, and part of that was done in Mafia already (you always reload a full clip instead of individual rounds).

And in the final comparison to MW2, I can't really see what's so impressive. Sure the footsteps are louder, but it's on metal instead of the carpet of the MW2 museum level. I dunno, maybe I'm biased since I'm one of the rare few on this forum who thinks MW and MW2 were good games.

I have to agree. This feels like that annoying things that all rap artists do; telling the listeners that what they're doing, compared to everyone else, is completely new, even though it's the same **** everyone does.

I wouldn't call this "evolution". I'd call this: "Look, we're gathering things that have been in the gaming industry for years, and are putting them in one game."

But I guess they will always fool someone. P.T. Barnum was right (though he didn't actually say it. ;) ).

II J0SePh X II
17th Jul 2010, 10:18
Well, nobody's ever crossed a shark with a guard dog before. Kewl.

It did make MW sound puny tho, I'll give it that.

Fluffis
17th Jul 2010, 10:21

http://www.suburbandoghouse.com/v/vspfiles/photos/US838-2T.jpg

Blade_hunter
17th Jul 2010, 11:17
Nothing new, but second what I've tried, this game sounds to be excellent.
The guns responds well and the feel is excellent and the aiming system is fine.
The customization in real time is good.
The demo worked in a web browser that's not the first FPS to do that, but it brings interesting concepts in the table even it there is nothing new, this game regroups good and proven concepts.

mad_red
17th Jul 2010, 11:24

Sharky the DESTROYER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STDsh6powQI)

xsamitt
17th Jul 2010, 12:05
This title has been on my radar for some time now.I'll be picking this up when it's finished for sure regardless of what is said about it.It looks fantastic to me.

Blade_hunter
17th Jul 2010, 12:12
You can try the demo

JackShandy
17th Jul 2010, 12:27
They're actually calling it Interstellar Marines?

Well, I'll give them points for having the balls to call a spade a spade, but evolution? Kid, Space Marines... not exactly the newest idea on the block.

Fluffis
17th Jul 2010, 12:34
They're actually calling it Interstellar Marines?

Well, I'll give them points for having the balls to call a spade a spade, but evolution? Kid, Space Marines... not exactly the newest idea on the block.

Indeed. Galactic Marines were part of the Lensman series (bloody brilliant books). That's late 1930's. And Heinlein had Space Marines in the early 40's.

TrickyVein
17th Jul 2010, 13:14
Saw the vid: not impressed.

It's great that you can see your own goddamn legs - but this has been done before. Riddick has more immersion as a FP game than this - I don't see what your hype is about, OP. :confused:

Irate_Iguana
17th Jul 2010, 13:18
Love me some Space Marines. Might be a good shooter. Two things. The bobbing is really ******* annoying. Tone it down. Secondly, it's called a ******* magazine or mag. Stop calling them clips.

Kodaemon
17th Jul 2010, 13:49
They have Terri Brosius. That's enough of a selling point to me <3

GamerX51
17th Jul 2010, 13:50
I really like how this game is looking so far. But I really want to know the name of that song that plays at the end of the trailer! Does anyone know where I could download that song?

ZakKa89
17th Jul 2010, 17:29
I like the bobbing actually ^^

I tihnk it's amazing you can play this game in your browser.

7h30n
17th Jul 2010, 21:57
Saw the vid: not impressed.

It's great that you can see your own goddamn legs - but this has been done before. Riddick has more immersion as a FP game than this - I don't see what your hype is about, OP. :confused:

I'm not hyped about it, not at all.

I just find it extremely ironic calling the trailer FP evolution when all this things have been already done but through mainstreaming totaly forgotten... And now it's evolution :lol:

pringlepower
17th Jul 2010, 22:04
I'm not hyped about it, not at all.

I just find it extremely ironic calling the trailer FP evolution when all this things have been already done but through mainstreaming totaly forgotten... And now it's evolution :lol:

Yeah they haven't been forgotten. A lot of them have been done in CoD. And even most older shooters didn't have realistic reloading.

Fluffis
17th Jul 2010, 22:08
Oh, and that "reload a whole mag" thing was in Battlefield 1942 too, wasn't it? That, along with Mafia, would make that particular gameplay feature at least eight years old.

7h30n
17th Jul 2010, 22:13
I just noticed we got The Hive subforum for these kinds of things. So, if a moderator could correct my title (Interstellar not Intersrellar) and move the topic into The Hive that would be great.

Sure realistic shooting improves in games as technology goes but certain things like magazines that don't refill could and have been done before. Let's look at Mafia 1 & 2 In the first one you had magazines that were lost if unspent and made the game more realistic and thus immersive. These kinds of things made the game a lot better for me compared to GTA and similiar titles of that time. Soon Mafia 2 is coming out and guess what mechanic have they discarded... Magazines are now refilled because they said that way player doesn't have to think so much about reloading...

pringlepower
17th Jul 2010, 22:21
I just noticed we got The Hive subforum for these kinds of things. So, if a moderator could correct my title (Interstellar not Intersrellar) and move the topic into The Hive that would be great.

Sure realistic shooting improves in games as technology goes but certain things like magazines that don't refill could and have been done before. Let's look at Mafia 1 & 2 In the first one you had magazines that were lost if unspent and made the game more realistic and thus immersive. These kinds of things made the game a lot better for me compared to GTA and similiar titles of that time. Soon Mafia 2 is coming out and guess what mechanic have they discarded... Magazines are now refilled because they said that way player doesn't have to think so much about reloading...

Eh, the whole game is more like GTA now. Which I don't mind, since it's set in the 50s, which were a hilariously ridiculous time.

Also, I'm amazed their first selling point was a FPS in which you "see through your character's eyes". That's like saying the Toyota Prius is a good car because it has wheels.

WildcatPhoenix
17th Jul 2010, 22:38
Eh, the whole game is more like GTA now. Which I don't mind, since it's set in the 50s, which were a hilariously ridiculous time.

Honestly the first game was pretty similar to GTA, too. Still, the more I look back on Mafia, the more I love it. I'm hoping the sequel won't suffer from the "make it more accessible" *cough* dumb it down *cough* bug.

pringlepower
17th Jul 2010, 22:41
Honestly the first game was pretty similar to GTA, too. Still, the more I look back on Mafia, the more I love it. I'm hoping the sequel won't suffer from the "make it more accessible" *cough* dumb it down *cough* bug.

Well Mafia suffered from the create an entire sandbox city and then give us no reason to explore bug.

And it will be more accessible. But the 50s were more accessible. More people had cars, TVs, etc. The cars were faster, guns were bigger, etc.

WildcatPhoenix
17th Jul 2010, 22:44
Well Mafia suffered from the create an entire sandbox city and then give us no reason to explore bug.

This is a very good point. You could drive all along this massive urban environment, but you couldn't go inside any of the buildings or experience anything other than the mission objective. It was basically just there for eye candy.

Fluffis
17th Jul 2010, 22:59
This is a very good point. You could drive all along this massive urban environment, but you couldn't go inside any of the buildings or experience anything other than the mission objective. It was basically just there for eye candy.

Sad but true.
But it was some pretty great eye candy.

pringlepower
17th Jul 2010, 23:06
Sad but true.

Now we can go into diners and eat pies to help fix bullet wounds.
Not perfect, but I'm just gonna say "It's the 50s" to anything unrealistic about Mafia II.

Shralla
18th Jul 2010, 04:38
This should be in the general forum.

Pinky_Powers
18th Jul 2010, 05:44
Sad but true.

It was more than eye candy. The mere reality that you could drive around the environments made them more.

I remember Midtown Madness. That was a completely pointless open-city game, where you could do absolutely NOTHING except drive around Chicago. And I spent nine straight hours with my friend the first day we got that game, just doin' $h1t. And then, when I got my own copy, I logged countless more hours doing even more $h1t.

Anyway, I guess my point is, an open city environment is never a wasted expenditure.

Shralla
18th Jul 2010, 06:03
Well I don't know about you guys, but what I saw was apparently four months worth of work that added up to some of the most impressive gunplay I've seen in recent memory. All the guns look and sound FANTASTIC, and I can't tell for sure without actually playing it, but it looks like the feedback while playing is phenomenal.

In fact, the whole game sounds pretty great. The way the sound echoes and reverberates, from both the guns AND the footsteps, is leagues beyond where most games are, and FAR better than Modern Warfare 2, that's for damn certain, though I would hardly call Modern Warfare 2 king of sound design.

The right mouse thing is pretty neat, and as far as I know, no other game has applied on-the-fly control alteration from tapping to holding. They're talking about being able to tap the button to go in, and tap to go out, or just hold it and stay in, and then leave when you let go, only having it not be an option in the menu, and instead just working. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Obviously there's nothing really super new here, but with all of this stuff in one game, it could turn out to be pretty awesome.

Fluffis
18th Jul 2010, 09:59
It was more than eye candy. The mere reality that you could drive around the environments made them more.

I remember Midtown Madness. That was a completely pointless open-city game, where you could do absolutely NOTHING except drive around Chicago. And I spent nine straight hours with my friend the first day we got that game, just doin' $h1t. And then, when I got my own copy, I logged countless more hours doing even more $h1t.

Anyway, I guess my point is, an open city environment is never a wasted expenditure.

Yeah, that's true. I've spent countless hours just driving around "Lost Heaven", "San Andreas" and "Liberty City". If the city is well made, it's almost like a character itself.

xsamitt
18th Jul 2010, 12:29
Well I don't know about you guys, but what I saw was apparently four months worth of work that added up to some of the most impressive gunplay I've seen in recent memory. All the guns look and sound FANTASTIC, and I can't tell for sure without actually playing it, but it looks like the feedback while playing is phenomenal.

In fact, the whole game sounds pretty great. The way the sound echoes and reverberates, from both the guns AND the footsteps, is leagues beyond where most games are, and FAR better than Modern Warfare 2, that's for damn certain, though I would hardly call Modern Warfare 2 king of sound design.

The right mouse thing is pretty neat, and as far as I know, no other game has applied on-the-fly control alteration from tapping to holding. They're talking about being able to tap the button to go in, and tap to go out, or just hold it and stay in, and then leave when you let go, only having it not be an option in the menu, and instead just working. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Obviously there's nothing really super new here, but with all of this stuff in one game, it could turn out to be pretty awesome.

Agreed...It's going to be a day 1 purchase for sure.

pringlepower
18th Jul 2010, 20:02
Yeah, that's true. I've spent countless hours just driving around "Lost Heaven", "San Andreas" and "Liberty City". If the city is well made, it's almost like a character itself.

Well as great as Lost Heaven and San Andreas were, they didn't really feel as alive and deep as they could be. GTA IV's Liberty City had a real character: enterable buildings, media presence, etc. And the cover system really helped too - being able to take cover behind everything really made the city less of a backdrop a more a living, breathing environment