PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of "Inception"?

ohitspatty
17th Jul 2010, 04:52
First of all if you haven't seen it yet, I have to ask you...why the hell not?

Now you see, it's not exactly a best movie ever and I believe the hype kinda killed it a little. However, Inception is still a pretty good film. It's no Memento but that's because I believe Nolan now has to appeal to larger audience due to the success of Dark Knight.

If you have seen it, what would you rate it? I'd say solid 8 out of 10. I would maybe give it a 9 but I really don't understand how it would take multiple viewing to understand the movie? Everything is explained by Cobb (DiCaprio). A piece by piece but it's there.

A big spoiler ahead...

Who else figured that the old guy in the begging/end is Saito(Watanabe) about half way through the film? I really didn't like that. I think if they didn't show the scene at the beginning, I would have liked the film a little more. I felt little cheated.

So yeah, still it's a very enjoyable film. Probably this summer's best along with Toy Story 3. It has some very sick effects and a very cool fight sequence. Besides the cast was really good, especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt! That guy needs to be in Dark Knight sequel, in fact...give that guy the role of the Riddler!

So...what do you think?

SlashPrower
17th Jul 2010, 12:09
I'm going to go see it, but only because it has Cillian Murphy in it. Cillian Murphy is to me what Pierce Brosnan is to MxO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/fuligo/cillian-murphy-01.jpg

He has really nice blue eyes.

http://www.atoww.com/wallpapers/2007/sunshine/awp_2_800.jpg

BeardedHoplite
17th Jul 2010, 14:14
I still can't quite grasp it. Is it a heist movie? Is it a future society that uses mind powers in everyday uses? Or is just a total mind-****?

Brackstone17
17th Jul 2010, 14:27
I'll probably check it out soon. It looks like it will be a good enough film.

ohitspatty
17th Jul 2010, 16:57
I still can't quite grasp it. Is it a heist movie? Is it a future society that uses mind powers in everyday uses? Or is just a total mind-****?

It is a heist film but not Heat or anything like that. It's about committing a heist inside someone's dream. It's a very good concept/idea. Also calling it a total mindf.u.c.k is little too much. It's a good movie but if you pay attention, everything is there for you to understand.

I'm going to go see it, but only because it has Cillian Murphy in it. Cillian Murphy is to me what Pierce Brosnan is to MxO.

I hope you like him overall, not just because you find him attractive.

I'll probably check it out soon. It looks like it will be a good enough film.

What is good enough mean? lol Oh and don't expect too much from Inception.

Brackstone17
17th Jul 2010, 17:00
By good enough I mean good enough to be worth the ticket price. All the movies I've seen this year (save Toy Story 3) just haven't been worth the money.

ohitspatty
17th Jul 2010, 17:17
True, I see what you mean but that's why I said;

Probably this summer's best along with Toy Story 3.

Yeah this year hasn't really been that great with only few surprises (The Crazies) and whole lot of disappointment (Nightmare on Elm St. comes to mind).

SlashPrower
17th Jul 2010, 18:34
Of course I like Cillian Murphy's acting. He was great in 28 Days Later and Sunshine. He was the best part of Red Eye- his character was creepy as all hell. I wish that he got more roles, because he's actually very good.

He made a good Scarecrow, too.

I still have to see the Nightmare On Elm Street remake. Even if it sucks, I'm going to watch it out of obligation, being a huge NOES fan.

No matter how bad it is, it's still going to be better than Dream Child, Freddy's Dead, and that horrible fanfic that I'm still trying to do another Dramatic Reading chapter without laughing.

I mean, did you see Freddy's Dead? That was one of the worst movies I've ever watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vReBLekQypE

Terrible.

ohitspatty
17th Jul 2010, 18:44
Trust me, I'm a BIG fan of ANOES as well and I have seen all those dreadful sequels but the remake is horrible because it had a potential to be at least half as good as original.

It failed every single way.

Oh and speaking of Murphy, have you seen Peacock? I really want to see that.

Brackstone17
17th Jul 2010, 22:45
Yeah, Peacock sounds really interesting. Good supporting cast too. The one I want to see is Perrier's Bounty. Cillian Murphy and Brendan Gleeson in the same film is always a good idea.

GrievousOdyssey
17th Jul 2010, 23:52
Inception still looks like a highly pretentious movie to me , but since it's showing at Mah Favorite Theater , i'll see it ...

THEN I CAN RANT ABOUT IT ALL OVER HERE ...
Marvelous ...

SlashPrower
17th Jul 2010, 23:52
Trust me, I'm a BIG fan of ANOES as well and I have seen all those dreadful sequels but the remake is horrible because it had a potential to be at least half as good as original.

It failed every single way.

Too bad. It was one of those remakes with potential, because the Nightmare on Elm Street really deserves to be explored again nowadays with all the great effects. A good director could make an amazing, surreal horror movie with the old premise and the new effects.

I heard that Freddy was really dark, which was a relief. I hated the unfunny comedy in 4-6. I wish they still had Englund, but Jackie Earle Haley is probably the only person who I would think of as an acceptable replacement. I mean, Jackie Earle Haley is awesome, too.

ohitspatty
18th Jul 2010, 00:04
I heard that Freddy was really dark, which was a relief. I hated the unfunny comedy in 4-6..

He had many unfunny puns in remake. I don't think that's dark.

BBboy20
18th Jul 2010, 08:50
...you guys know you want to a game mode like "Extract The Idea" to exist. :)

SlashPrower
18th Jul 2010, 12:36
He had many unfunny puns in remake. I don't think that's dark.

Well, he has to be better than in Freddy's Dead. I mean, I'm talking more about how he acts more than what he says. Freddy in New Nightmare made some rather stupid puns, but he was pretty awesome all the same.

I can take puns to a certain extent- and I'm sure this one's decently dark, since they actually went through with making Freddy a child molester instead of just implying that he maybe did it in the earlier movies. I doubt they would try to make a guy who rapes and kills kids too lighthearted.

ohitspatty
18th Jul 2010, 18:28
Yeah. I guess.

Maybe you'll like it. I f.u.c.k.i.n.g hated it.

ohitspatty
22nd Jul 2010, 06:58
No one seen it yet?
I'm curious to hear your interpretations.

joe the janitor
22nd Jul 2010, 07:25
I loved it!

GrievousOdyssey
22nd Jul 2010, 15:24
That was very insightful Joe ...

Brackstone17
31st Jul 2010, 16:36
I saw it last night and I loved it. It was a great film. The thing I really liked is that they gave all the characters their own time to shine, including Ken Watanabe and Cillian Murphy, who I didn't think would have that big of a part. Tom Hardy was surprisingly good. A lot of places have said that he'd be a good choice for James Bond when they get back to making those, and I can't disagree, especially after one particular action scene. The man stole the show whenever Michael Caine wasn't around.

I liked how it hit all usual heist movie notes yet never became predictable. Oh and the action scenes were phenomenal.

Overall it was a great film that I'd recommend to everyone. It's not my favourite film ever, but in terms of Nolan's films I'd place it just behind Memento and just ahead of The Dark Knight at the top.

Now about that spoiler, ohitspatty.

Yeah, I could tell it was Ken Watanabe under the makeup at the beginning. That kind of ruined it that he was going to die in the dream later in the movie. The scene should definitely have been left out.

ohitspatty
31st Jul 2010, 16:42
That's an excellent review lol You're giving it the credit it deserves without over-rating it.

It's defiantly a smart movie compared to other summer blockbusters, and that's a change.

Kent-45
2nd Aug 2010, 05:27
I actually just got back from a trip to LA, and yes I did see Inception.... and yes, it's probably the most overhyped overblown movie ever.

It's really high-budget. This movie was obviously made with mountains of money... so much so he probably dipped into his Dark Knight fund. Leonardo DiCaprio delivers a solid performance as usual, while on the other end of the spectrum... Hayely Stark just bombs like none other. She really can't act to save her soul, and it's a shame because of all the actors in this film she was by far the weakest of them all.

The movie wasn't bad, but it is not really anything special. It explores some interesting concepts about dreams, but the runtime of over 2 hours really starts to drag on you after a while. The story isn't really complex at all, in fact it feels dumbed down. Half the movie is spent essentially bringing the audience up to speed with all the hip dream jargon, and setting us up for what's gonna happen.

ohitspatty
2nd Aug 2010, 05:38
You had good time in L.A.? Party up with the Hollywood sluts? :D

On topic; 160 Million is kinda standard for summer blockbuster movies these days.

Anyway it's always nice to see different points of view even when I totally disagree with your on Miss Stark :D

Brackstone17
2nd Aug 2010, 15:37
I actually just got back from a trip to LA, and yes I did see Inception.... and yes, it's probably the most overhyped overblown movie ever.

*coughAvatarcough*

Anyway, I agree that it's not really a complicated movie. I was able to keep track of everything very easily, so I don't know why some people are saying you need to unblinkingly stare at the screen the entire movie in order to understand it.

One thing I forgot to mention that I hated the ending. The very ending.

This is one of the few cases where I think a good old unambiguous happy ending would have been best. The whole "Are they still in a dream?" thing just seems way too predictable. Honestly, if I could compare the ending to the ending of any other movie, it would be The Mist, because both endings only serve the purpose of making the viewer angry.

Kent-45
2nd Aug 2010, 17:06
I thought the whole thing with Cillian Murphy was stupid too... how they "tricked" him into helping them break into his own subconscious.

Bevacur
2nd Aug 2010, 18:25
*coughAvatarcough*

]

This. Avatar was a pile of ****, WAAAAY to dramatic.

joe the janitor
3rd Aug 2010, 00:31
That was very insightful Joe ...
I keep my reviewing work very close to my self most of the time.....

SovietAmerika
3rd Aug 2010, 08:50
Im going to have to see this one soon,The Expendables is a big one for me just for Stone Cold Steve Austin

IIClaudeII
17th Aug 2010, 13:55
Over rated. About 80% of the movie was pointless
The end is the best part, you'll know why if youve seen it

I still love you Chris Nolan, but you should have made this a little short film for your resume and get cracking on Batman 3

GrievousOdyssey
29th Aug 2010, 19:50
I think of Perception ...

Did i get it right ? ...