PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Interview of Sheldon Pacotti, Deus Ex Writer

Charles1
14th Jul 2010, 19:37
http://www.sheldonpacotti.com/games/DX.htm

I haven't seen this anywhere else and I know this particular URL probably hasn't had many hits.

This is a very interesting interview of Sheldon Pacotti, one of the people who wrote the dialog in the original Deus Ex. It's amazing just what kind of talent went into this game.

I also posted it on Youtube in hopes of getting it more well known. This guy has some great knowledge.

AaronJ
14th Jul 2010, 19:52
...bit of a shift, innit?

Bluey71
14th Jul 2010, 19:56
Nice find. I didn't know he was at Junction Point.

FrankCSIS
14th Jul 2010, 20:59
Here's a snip from a 2003 article featured on the same site

The fact that our ideal in computer entertainment is the empowerment of end users to compose their own experiences is no accident.

Coupled with other things they've said, they really were among pioneers of Narrative Interraction, or as I like to call it, Playing the Story.

Angel-A
14th Jul 2010, 21:07
That DX logo is backwards.

Charles1
14th Jul 2010, 22:26
^ I was afraid I'd do that.

And bit of a shift? I...don't know what means.

Anyway, this interview came out shortly after 911. Deus Ex's story hasn't aged a day.

AaronJ
15th Jul 2010, 19:02
And bit of a shift? I...don't know what means.

From the minds of Ion Storm to Eidos Montreal.

Ilves
15th Jul 2010, 19:08
I remember this, great stuff. :thumb:

Relistening today, and man, this mp3, with the clever editing in of audio clips, music, convo's and interviewer voice overs (and Pacotti, of course) would sell the game to anyone. :D This from the intro struck me though:

Deus Ex [...] drew widespread criticism for its realistic depictions of gore and violence.

No it didn't. Did it? :confused: