PDA

View Full Version : You got a light?

Morphilms
9th Jul 2010, 14:33
So I was playing the demo singleplayer, just killed all the guys in the resturant, about to get off when Kane lights up a cigarette, I stopped an thought, really! We have to get out of here before more show up and your sparkin' up. Talk about innapropriate, not that easy to run with or after a cigarette.

Was wondering if anybody else had found an innapropriate sequence/conversation/thing in any other games?

Brackstone17
9th Jul 2010, 15:20
I didn't think it was that innapropriate. They needed to stop for a second to figure out what to do next. I can see what you mean though. Anyway, other games.

Everything James Sunderland ever does. Seriously, he jumps down several random holes that don't have an end in site, reaches into toilets. Nobody would ever do these things.

All the sidequests in Mass Effect. You have to save the world, the fate of everything that ever existed is your responsibility, but apparently it's also your responsibility to track docile green aliens and give a couple your opinion on genetically modified babies. Even though you don't have to do the sidequests, the fact that they exist and you can't play them after you beat the game means they can seriously kill any sense of urgency the game has.

JackGordon
9th Jul 2010, 15:33
Everything James Sunderland ever does. Seriously, he jumps down several random holes that don't have an end in site, reaches into toilets. Nobody would ever do these things.
Symbolism, young sir.

Kent-45
9th Jul 2010, 18:02
It's kinda funny that they brought back Kane's smoking habit. Kane lit up a few times in Dead Men, but never enough to make you care.

Brackstone17
9th Jul 2010, 22:06
Symbolism, young sir.
Oh, I understand that it's symbolism, but to me it just seems like an incredibly stupid and distracting way of going about things. If it weren't for the fact that he's a good character in every other area, I'd absolutely hate James for being such a dunce.

SlashPrower
9th Jul 2010, 22:29
I remember Alex Shepherd, Harry Mason, and Henry Townshend all doing amazingly stupid things, so I think it's just common in the series.

Can't remember if Heather did anything incredibly stupid, and of course I never played Origins.

Brackstone17
9th Jul 2010, 22:46
She did a couple stupid things (going off to fight monsters in a miniskirt for example). You're right, it is common to the series, but I think James is the most frequent and grievous doer of stupid things.

Kent-45
9th Jul 2010, 22:55
Brackstone, I take issue with your implication that fighting monsters in a miniskirt could ever be a bad thing.

Brackstone17
9th Jul 2010, 23:10
Would you want to wear a miniskirt if you were fighting monsters?

Kent-45
9th Jul 2010, 23:43
That depends... am I hot?

Brackstone17
9th Jul 2010, 23:55
Nope.

Kent-45
10th Jul 2010, 00:19
hot girl + miniskirt + monsters = a good thing

think about it Brackstone. think about it.

SlashPrower
10th Jul 2010, 00:27
She did a couple stupid things (going off to fight monsters in a miniskirt for example).

On that note, I'd like to add every female character who goes to war in heels and a dress, or what basically amounts to metal underwear and maybe some shoulder pads.

You all know how I feel about this. But I'm going to go over it again anyway.

It's impossible to accept that anyone but the most narcissistic, stupid woman ever would ever fight in some of these outfits. Let's look at some of these:

http://homedir-b.libsyn.com/podcasts/fbf1eaeaca5a5ada488a30f1c730d206/4c37bd11/thehadokings/images/ivy-sc4.jpg

http://benyoboy.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/20-tira-soul-calibur1.jpg

What exactly are those outfits protecting? They're both constantly fighting people with weapons, and any blow to them with those flimsy outfits will result in serious damage. Hell, their midriffs are exposed- one slice and their intestines will slide right out.

It gets even worse when people go into firefights dressed like this, because it's at least believable that someone with an insane amount of skill could just keep parrying or dodging when it comes to close-range weapons. But when you've got people with guns on all sides and have no body protection whatsoever? You're screwed.

Hell, even Ada Wong's outfit in RE4 was stupid. Who fights in heels and a dress? A dress makes close combat unnecessarily uncomfortable and hard-to-do. And heels...heels are impossible to run or fight in. Take it from me- nobody could pull that off as easily as game characters seem to do. Ada's toes must be a bloodied, bruised mess.

EDIT: Kent, those monsters better not have tentacles or you're dangerously close to liking hentai.

Brackstone17
10th Jul 2010, 00:36
I agree with this completely. I'm also going to add that the weapon the lady in green is wielding looks like the most impractical thing since those steam powered robots DaVinci tried to make.

It especially bothers me in Silent Hill because, let's be honest, Silent Hill is a dirty, dingy place and I would want as little exposed skin as possible if I were taking a trip there. Who knows what godawful plagues exist in on those floors?

Kent-45
10th Jul 2010, 02:12
You say impractical, I say aerodynamic. It's all about wind resistance.

Brackstone17
10th Jul 2010, 03:11
In that case they should start making miniskirts designed for jetplanes. Cut down on fuel consumption.

UhUh
10th Jul 2010, 12:08
Definetly the skirt is the right choice, I'd like to see Lynch in this (http://imgur.com/B45oe.jpg).

Bevacur
10th Jul 2010, 12:20
I agree with this completely. I'm also going to add that the weapon the lady in green is wielding looks like the most impractical thing since those steam powered robots DaVinci tried to make.

It especially bothers me in Silent Hill because, let's be honest, Silent Hill is a dirty, dingy place and I would want as little exposed skin as possible if I were taking a trip there. Who knows what godawful plagues exist in on those floors?

Well its not like they know when the world shifts into the Otherworld do they? It can happen at any time.

The real world is fine, but the fog world and Otherworld, the main protagonist has no idea when reality changes into the fog world or Otherworld.

ohitspatty
10th Jul 2010, 13:25
Definetly the skirt is the right choice, I'd like to see Lynch in this (http://imgur.com/B45oe.jpg).

:lol:

Kent-45
10th Jul 2010, 17:18
EDIT: Kent, those monsters better not have tentacles or you're dangerously close to liking hentai.

Yeah I just realized how wrong that sounded, but maybe I did that on purpose... maybe I didn't... we'll never know..... and don't get me started on how weird hentai is, and even weirder its fans are. It's not my thing, but who am I to judge?

The point I'm trying to illustrate is this: Sex sells games. In fact, sex sells just about everything. Nobody wants to see Margaret the 40-something frumpy housewife in sweatpants doing backflips with two desert eagles, kicking ass and saving the world.... you know why? People play video games to escape reality.

Does is objectify women? Yeah it does... but it won't stop until people stop shelling out tons of money for Tomb Raider games and no offense to the japanese culture, but they're probably the biggest offenders in my book. I don't think they know how to make a female character that isn't slutty, obnoxious, shallow, or excessively bubbly... but like I said, who am I to judge?

SlashPrower
10th Jul 2010, 20:09
Hold up, I'm sure I'll be able to think of a ton of female anime characters who are determined, smart, and dress sensibly...

http://www.pureanimegallery.com/d/6028-1/winry-rockbell.jpg
Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist

http://images.absoluteanime.com/death_note/naomi.jpg
Naomi Misura from Death Note (killed in the same episode she appeared, but managed to figure out a ton about Kira >___>)

http://i35.tinypic.com/se3nev.jpg
Kirie Goshima from Uzumaki

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kz8huoXZU71qb8c3uo1_400.jpg
Major Mokoto Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell. She's the smartest and most independent on this list, but she sometimes dresses in what looks like a swimsuit with a jacket over it, so it's mixed.

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/09252008/d/a/4/f/da4f4022f7b1e0_full.gif
Seras Victoria from Hellsing, although that skirt is dangerously short.

Um, those are the only ones I can think of that could possibly fit all the criteria. Maybe Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach? I dunno.

Kent-45
10th Jul 2010, 23:09
You like Hellsing? I liked that one too, although I must confess that I'm not a fan of most anime. If it's sophisticated and well-drawn like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust then I'm game.

Brackstone17
10th Jul 2010, 23:46
While I agree that sex sells, I always found that it's the most shallow way of selling a game. Even though I'm right in the core demographic for videogames, I generally find nudity and small amounts of clothing kind of insulting to my intelligence. That said, there are exceptions when I thought the nudity actually served a purpose beyond titillation, and that is fine by me. It's like if steak became a very rare (pun not intended) substance and developers started putting virtual steaks in their games to capitalize off the fact that the core gamer demographic tends to like steak.

You know, I just realized that my opinions on sex and gore in entertainment are the exact same. If it is the focus, the film/game will be bad. If it exists without purpose beyond shock/titillation of the viewer, the film/game will be bad. If the nudity and/or gore exists because it serves a purpose to plot, characterization, setting or other such things, then it is fine by me. A good example of this is Eastern Promises, which uses both nudity and gore in a sensible fashion.

tl;dr version: I'm not a good representative of the usual videogame player. And yes Kent, I would love to see a game about a 40 year old frumpy house wife. It could be called Rolling Pins of Fury.

Kent-45
10th Jul 2010, 23:49
tl;dr version: I'm not a good representative of the usual videogame player. And yes Kent, I would love to see a game about a 40 year old frumpy house wife. It could be called Rolling Pins of Fury.

I read this and I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Congratulations sir.

BeardedHoplite
11th Jul 2010, 03:58
Ah, I love how this went from Kane's smoking habits to the objectification of women in video games. Classy (no sarcasm intended).

Vulture
11th Jul 2010, 21:43
kane needs his smoke to clear his head. and if you remember he was about to smoke one before the cops showed up

GrievousOdyssey
14th Jul 2010, 00:32
Slash ... don't be jalous , just don't ...

Back on topic ...
John Marston from Red Dead Redemption ...
This man can never Speak WITHOUT SHOUTING ...

Kent-45
14th Jul 2010, 00:48
I agree. Shouting is cruise control for cool.

Brackstone17
14th Jul 2010, 03:32
John Marston doesn't shout all the time, only when it's fun. "You're all gonna be muertos!" would sound stupid if not shouted.

GrievousOdyssey
14th Jul 2010, 03:43
He shouts every time he is with a NPC during a mission , when they're riding on horses it makes sense that you have to speak louder to hear one another , but even when they're just standing next to each other ? now that's just ridiculous ... it's possible however that he could be half-deaf after all those years of shooting and whatnot ...