PDA

View Full Version : PC version, persistent internet connection?

zackiz
8th Jul 2010, 21:28
With Ubisoft requiring a persistent internet connection to play PC games, I wonder if this will apply to Deus EX:HR? It would make me VERY sad in that case.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Badmaker
8th Jul 2010, 21:33
It would make me VERY sad in that case.

because ure downloading games from trackers ? :D

Unstoppable
8th Jul 2010, 23:53
Doubt it Eidos has been lenient in regards to DRM mostly requiring a disk check with securom.

Senka
9th Jul 2010, 01:17

Even if he was that wouldn't stop him from playing it.. look how easily Ubisofts DRM was cracked.

jtr7
9th Jul 2010, 01:24

Heh. Or just because millions of potential buyers don't have a good internet connection, and lousy options, which would ruin it, no matter how good every other aspect of the system is for the game.

zackiz
9th Jul 2010, 02:39

I'm definitive not going to download the game from any trackers. If im going to download at all, it's going to be from steam, but i doubt even that, I want a hard copy.

Now, Deus Ex is one of the best game of all time IMO and just because I don't wanna be dragged over the same line as pirates doesn't mean I am one.

The persistent online connect requirement is a BIG hassle for me but apparently not for the pirates...

I really really hope that Deus Ex:HR doesn't come with this DRM on because it would be very sad if I had to skip because of that. Yes, this is a buy or no buy thing for me.

It makes me very sad because if this is the case, I will not be playing one of my most anticipated games in a VERY long time.

pringlepower
9th Jul 2010, 03:11
If Square or EM tries to pull that crap, someone's going to make a crack
And no I don't mean pirate it.

AaronJ
9th Jul 2010, 04:20
With Ubisoft requiring a persistent internet connection to play PC games

What.

pringlepower
9th Jul 2010, 04:22
What.

Assassin's Creed II

Sabretooth1
9th Jul 2010, 04:38
We've no reason to believe that Square Enix will impose any draconian DRM, and most studios seem to have become more cautious after the response to Ubisoft's DRM system. The Witcher 2, IIRC, will come with a CD check that can be removed via a patch. Sounds like a neat enough system to me.

VectorM
9th Jul 2010, 10:06
Or just because millions of potential buyers don't have a good internet connection, and lousy options, which would ruin it, no matter how good every other aspect of the system is for the game.

I don't know about you, but I don't think those are the people that they should target with games that cost 60$ ...

Irate_Iguana
9th Jul 2010, 11:06
I don't know about you, but I don't think those are the people that they should target with games that cost 60$ ...

Wait, just because you don't live in a busy city means that you are dirt poor? There are a lot of people in the world who are very capable of buying games but do not have the necessary internet connection. That's nothing to say of people wanting to play the game on a laptop somewhere where they don't have reliable internet.

7h30n
9th Jul 2010, 11:33
If they put that kind of DRM on the game then I won't buy it.

I hope they won't...

Cylon
9th Jul 2010, 11:37
Get PILLS against my orders

... manderly raps! :p

Human
9th Jul 2010, 19:46
Mandatory internet would be an automatic no buy for me. My gaming computer doesn't even have internet (yes, I have to avoid a lot of games), but having to not worry about viruses/malware, constant updates and hindering anti-virus software keeps my computer absurdly fast and responsive as if it was built yesterday. I used to think that connecting to the net would be a no brainer for all computers, but I have my laptop for that and after seening the benefits, I will never go back. I know some people on these boards feel the same. Many of my friends computers are better equipped, but are actually slower largely due to indirect things from having an internet connection. Saves me both time and money.

Kodaemon
9th Jul 2010, 21:00
The Witcher 2, IIRC, will come with a CD check that can be removed via a patch. Sounds like a neat enough system to me.

CD Projekt would like that, it worked for the first game. But Namco Bandai are fans of the Ubisoft system, so who knows... :hmm:

Badmaker
9th Jul 2010, 21:28
CD Projekt would like that, it worked for the first game. But Namco Bandai are fans of the Ubisoft system, so who knows... :hmm:

LOL, people cracked the **** out of Splinter Cell Conviction., Even the coop. So much for DRM.

PlasmaSnake101
9th Jul 2010, 21:34
I was pretty upset when I saw Assassin's Creed 2 had that crap on it, unfortunately I didn't realize until after I made a purchase on Steam. It's no big deal for me, but the system seems to waste time and resources for something that has been proven to fail relatively quickly. I do not approve, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Badmaker
9th Jul 2010, 21:39
@PlasmaSnake101, actualy AC2 for PC was a fail cause it was a direct port from ****ty consoles. It had that damn FPS limiter.

Kodaemon
9th Jul 2010, 21:42
I was pretty upset when I saw Assassin's Creed 2 had that crap on it, unfortunately I didn't realize until after I made a purchase on Steam.

Oh pfft, you don't get to criticise online-only, you're a Steam user.

ArcR
9th Jul 2010, 21:55
Why would they require a persistent connection for a single player only game? This subject is silly.

sonicsidewinder
9th Jul 2010, 23:51
Well it wasn't done with Just Cause 2 so the probobility is high that there won't be any of that vile breed of DRM.

Belboz
11th Jul 2010, 12:17
microsofts lives system is pushing for a complete user gets no files just an access code for games, where all game files are on a cloud server, including the save files, and you pay microsoft a fee for the access code to the game, although with microsoft you'll probably be paying for that access every month. And if you've every tryed a cloud server you can see how slow it is even with a net connection of 2 gigabytes, where the one I tryed it took 45 minutes just for internet explorer to load. Would you ever want a system like that.

Absentia
11th Jul 2010, 19:40
Oh pfft, you don't get to criticise online-only, you're a Steam user.

If you lose your connection while running Steam, you will noticeably see that you can't access the Friends server but apart from that you're still able to play your games. Similarly, if you start Steam without a connection, it will give you option of starting in Offline Mode, where you can still access your games. Obviously a reliable connection is required for downloading them, but the issue is that Ubisoft's system requires it for every minute that you're playing it - pinging a server every so often (or whatever it does) so that it can boot you out when there's no connection. That's a massive difference. If DXHR emplyoed this system, I don't know what I'd do... I was just on the verge of buying the new Prince of Persia before I read about the DRM, and that made me not buy it, but then I might even make an allowance simply because it's Deus Ex. It'd still anger me no end, though.