PDA

View Full Version : Angry Joe DXHR E3 Interview

Deus_Ex_Machina
6th Jul 2010, 02:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFCUGSu04ZM&playnext_from=TL&videos=yGEjcg-3ac0&feature=sub

TrickyVein
6th Jul 2010, 03:15
Muchas grasssyassssss.

"Enemies don't wait for you to regen (your health)." Interesting rational behind the mechanic: staying in the combat. For the one guy, having lots of medpacks around the level or simply regenerating health were one and the same.

ChfMojoRising
6th Jul 2010, 03:36
I wonder if that will help to calm people's fears.
I'm feeling pretty hyped for this~ well, still-hyped lol

Tverdyj
6th Jul 2010, 03:40
so... there will be items in game that affect health, and it's not just a full-blown regen. good to know.

Icky6
6th Jul 2010, 04:10
ChfMojoRising I'm not trying to be a jerk but could you stop with the 8=D ~~~ all the time? Where did you pick that up?

pringlepower
6th Jul 2010, 04:20
They're bringing back silent running! woo

MaxxQ1
6th Jul 2010, 04:35
They're bringing back silent running! woo

That was a decent movie, and Huey, Dewey, and Louie probably inspired R2-D2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TckJBvl_uT0&feature=fvsr

Or are you referring to the song by Mike + The Mechanics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7W89I_V_g

:rasp: :D

pringlepower
6th Jul 2010, 04:42
That was a decent movie, and Huey, Dewey, and Louie probably inspired R2-D2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TckJBvl_uT0&feature=fvsr

Or are you referring to the song by Mike + The Mechanics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7W89I_V_g

:rasp: :D

You know I could never enjoy that movie because when I tried to watch it two things really bothered me.
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to destroy all the plants?
Why the hell would you nuke the plants?

Same problem with Up. I couldn't get over that guy's rectangular head. Drove me nuts.

hem dazon 90
6th Jul 2010, 04:58
I think i posted this

ChfMojoRising
6th Jul 2010, 05:00
ChfMojoRising I'm not trying to be a jerk but could you stop with the 8=D ~~~ all the time? Where did you pick that up?

Nope, can't stop the tilde hype!~
Where did I pick that up? Started doing it when playing Final Fantasy XI: Online. It's a Mojo special~ sometimes replaces commas, periods, or semi-colons. You see dubiously placed tilde's around, there's a chance it's me lol.

But hey~ at least I know my their, there and they're's lol. Not to mention lose and loose. Also, no l33t 5p34k XD

puzl
6th Jul 2010, 09:51
How many times did they say "basically" in this video?

TrickyVein
6th Jul 2010, 11:39
One's from Canada, and Angry Joe looks like he left a brother/sister or two in Mexico, so cut them some slack.

Philologus
6th Jul 2010, 13:16
How many times did they say "basically" in this video?

To the original OP: thanks for posting this. The information gleaned from the interview, was great, but interview itself? "Angry Joe" is awful.

Because basically like, he basically was off because he BASICALLY took 2x or 3x the amount of BASIC time to like, ask a question that BASICALLY could have been asked in a much shorter amount of time, and much more concisely.

Basically.. he sucks. As someone mentioned, his 'stache is 70s, ugly, and truly funny, but even if he looked like a cross between Shrek and Homer Simpson, I could care less, as long as he was good at the job.

How do people like him get press passes to E3?

Anyway, I am glad to hear that the game's difficulty is being taken into consideration. However, the "take-downs" do seem a bit too easy to pull-off, with special focus on the double-takedown in the leaked video. I couldn't hear the audio for that part, so I do not know if the take-downs were simplified just for the gameplay demo, but if it's that easy to just sneak up on a guard, and go into a take-down sequence (by presumably pressing a series of buttons?), then the difficulty meter of this game goes down significantly.

Ilves
6th Jul 2010, 13:28
Joe is a great example of how you can be sincerely angry at poor game design without becoming a sourpuss. Great energy these two guys. Props.

Icky6
6th Jul 2010, 14:02
Nope, can't stop the tilde hype!~
Where did I pick that up? Started doing it when playing Final Fantasy XI: Online. It's a Mojo special~ sometimes replaces commas, periods, or semi-colons. You see dubiously placed tilde's around, there's a chance it's me lol.

But hey~ at least I know my their, there and they're's lol. Not to mention lose and loose. Also, no l33t 5p34k XD

Lol ok that's cool. It's definitely much less annoying than some of the trolls on this board :p Carry on then!

Spyhopping
6th Jul 2010, 14:55
Thanks for posting. Good to have a few things cleared up, an explanation for the lack of augmented reality and HUD for one.

The interviews so far have missed out on asking the team about player inventory and interactivity with objects in the world, but it's touched upon a little in this one. I hope that was a hint that you will be able to fill your inventory with useful world objects, consumables and mission specific items.

The thing I can't get my head around is how Adam is supposed to function with his augs when he is wearing his trenchcoat in social hub areas. I love the coat, and it's perfect for him to facilitate social interaction and blend in to the crowd, but how are his arm augs supposed to open up and work correctly when they are wrapped up in a coat? What happens when we turn our social interaction city hub safe haven into a hostile area?

Ilves
6th Jul 2010, 16:00
Good point about the coat in changing situations. Maybe it comes off, Superman style? http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/9.gif

Pinky_Powers
6th Jul 2010, 16:16
The thing I can't get my head around is how Adam is supposed to function with his augs when he is wearing his trenchcoat in social hub areas. I love the coat, and it's perfect for him to facilitate social interaction and blend in to the crowd, but how are his arm augs supposed to open up and work correctly when they are wrapped up in a coat? What happens when we turn our social interaction city hub safe haven into a hostile area?

My guess is, he'll still be able to use his arm-blades, but only as a straight-out stab. None of the weird orientation changes. I imagine certain Augs will be grayed out, though. I can't see his Claymore thing being anything but a suicide Aug. :) Strength should still work. The Icarus Landing shouldn't be hindered by a coat. I'm not sure if Invisibility can enshroud a large trenchcoat... but, it did for JC.

God knows what other offensive Augs he'll have.

super...
6th Jul 2010, 16:29
nice interview thanks for sharing!

Irate_Iguana
6th Jul 2010, 16:55
Good point about the coat in changing situations. Maybe it comes off, Superman style? http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/9.gif

That was mentioned in an interview a while back. When you are in a social hub you will be wearing the trenchcoat. When Adam goes on a mission, or an area where there is likely to be combat, he will take off his trenchcoat and use his combat suit.

There was no mention of fighting in those social hubs. The gameplay trailer on the other hand showed Adam using a takedown while wearing his trench coat. This must be one of those situational triggers they are talking about. It could be that all augs have a different animation while wearing the trench coat. It could also be as Pinky says and that certain augs just aren't usable while wearing it.

Cylon
6th Jul 2010, 17:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFCUGSu04ZM&playnext_from=TL&videos=yGEjcg-3ac0&feature=sub

This makes me think, this game is gonna be good, afterall...

Mindmute
6th Jul 2010, 17:12
There was no mention of fighting in those social hubs.

There actually was at around 6:19 on this interview. He stated you can basically (ach now I'm doing it too) attack people in social hubs, but there's consequences.

Irate_Iguana
6th Jul 2010, 17:16
There actually was at around 6:19 on this interview. He stated you can basically (ach now I'm doing it too) attack people in social hubs, but there's consequences.

Different interview. I don't like watching videos. Those things take forever and the language always gets on my nerves.

Ilves
6th Jul 2010, 17:16
There was no mention of fighting in those social hubs.

;) I really didn't mean to dedicate any more braincells to the coat on/off issue, but this bothers me... I thought you could antagonize any situation by being a total jackass? Police might be drawn to the scene (4Players article), Tong threatens with 'worker bees' standing by to kick your butt... Based on the info released so far I'm totally expecting to be able to run amuck and turn a situation hot anywhere, any time. Surely you can't be restricted by wardrobe? So at some point the coat will have to start flying, no?

(To be honest, the term 'social hubs' is new to me... What are these, complete stand alone bits outside of regular gameworld? I don't get it.)

The gameplay trailer on the other hand showed Adam using a takedown while wearing his trench coat.

Refresh my memory, will you? I don't seem to recall, not in the leaked footage or any of the 2 trailers...

Mindmute
6th Jul 2010, 17:18
Different interview. I don't like watching videos. Those things take forever and the language always gets on my nerves.

Fair enough. The interviewer annoyed the hell out of me to be honest.. I'd have rather read a transcription of the interview myself.

Refresh my memory, will you? I don't seem to recall, not in the leaked footage or any of the 2 trailers...

In the club I believe, the non-lethal one.

Ilves
6th Jul 2010, 17:20
In the club I believe, the non-lethal one.

Of course. :thumb:

Mindmute
6th Jul 2010, 17:22
Surely you can't be restricted by wardrobe? So at some point the coat will have to start flying, no?

(To be honest, the term 'social hubs' is new to me... What are these, complete stand alone bits outside of regular gameworld? I don't get it.)

By the way, he said in this interview that they don't want to stop people from doing anything they want to. Attacking people will be allowed anywhere, despite current wardrobe, based on what he said.
Social hub I believe is just used to describe an area with a focus on social interaction rather than combat.

Irate_Iguana
6th Jul 2010, 17:27
;) I really didn't mean to dedicate any more braincells to the coat on/off issue, but this bothers me... I thought you could antagonize any situation by being a total jackass?

You probably can. What I meant with "There was no mention of fighting in those social hubs" was that the issue didn't come up. They didn't mention fighting in those hubs or a lack thereof. As far as we know it is still possible to fight whenever you please.

Think of the gameplay trailer. The bit in the Hive would be a social hub. The main mission there is walking around and talking to people. Fighting is still possible, but blending in with the crowd would be the objective. Think of walking around in Hell's Kitchen in DX. You are mainly there to talk to people and find the generator. Fighting is secondary.

The bit at the docks in the gameplay trailer was a combat hub. It was obvious that there would be combat of some sort in that area and very little talking. Think of the Lebedev mission in DX. You know that you are facing opposition and that talking to people is not going to happen a lot.

After Adam found the datacube in the toilet he went down some stairs. He wall-hugged and looked around a corner to see a guard patrolling the basement area. He waited for the guard to turn around and the proceeded to use a takedown. The takedown in question was the one where he taps the guard on the should, waits for him to turn around and then punches him in the jaw.

Ilves
6th Jul 2010, 17:42
Yeah, the punch to the face. Didn't think of that one. It's not technically an Augmented action, just a punch to the face. Some added oomph, maybe.

By the way, he said in this interview that they don't want to stop people from doing anything they want to. Attacking people will be allowed anywhere, despite current wardrobe, based on what he said.

As far as we know it is still possible to fight whenever you please.

That's what I thought. :thumb: At this point though, no idea is too crazy for me. They might have well gone there.

Okay, that was uncalled for. http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/8.gif

Irate_Iguana
6th Jul 2010, 17:51
Yeah, the punch to the face. Didn't think of that one. It's not technically an Augmented action, just a punch to the face. Some added oomph, maybe.

You could see the blue sparkles, so it was a takedown using the augmentations.

Ilves
6th Jul 2010, 18:00
^ Okay, I need to start weighing my words more carefully. Yes, technically an aug. But relatively low key, that's why I didn't immediately think of it when you mentioned an aug being used while in trench coat. I'll lay the whole silly business to rest now. :'P

Gosh, I whish they'd drop those sparks though.

Spyhopping
6th Jul 2010, 18:04
Yeah, those sparkles do make him look a bit like he has some augmented fairy dust up his sleeve. Perhaps it's explained in game, as some by-product of the energy source or movement of the aug?

It's great to have a city hub that gives some relief and puts action in a bit of a backseat, but there are times in a hub you'd still want to feel a little edgy and be half ready to switch to a full offensive mode, without being handicapped by... wardrobe. Say it's a stage of the game where I'm very much in a social area and yet actively being hunted by a main enemy character like Gunther, or there are "wanted bulletins" around the city reporting my alleged crimes like JC in Paris. I'm thinking you'd want your full arsenal of augs at the ready, just in case. What would AJ wear to that occasion?

Irate_Iguana
6th Jul 2010, 18:08
I'm thinking you'd want your full arsenal of augs at the ready, just in case.

Like I said, we don't know how they treat augs while in trench coat. It could very well be that each aug has a different animation for both situations. Even something like the Claymore aug could be made to work while in trench coat. For instance he lets the bombs fly out of his sleeves while doing a pirouette with his arms streched out.

Pretentious Old Man.
6th Jul 2010, 18:14
Hmmm, well, it's a good interview, sounds like they got the augs right.

I'm really sceptical about the whole coat business, though. I'm worried that it might be a case of hub vs mission area. Just because its and FPS RPG, doesn't mean it is LITERALLY half and half, with the coat symbolising that. I really think the player should be given the choice, otherwise it becomes a classic scenario of "game designer giving you a hint that it's killing time".

Other than that, not TOO worried. I just hope its stays true to the "immersive stimulator" premise, and doesn't inject too many obviously game-ish elements.

Pinky_Powers
6th Jul 2010, 18:14
Yeah, those sparkles do make him look a bit like he has some augmented fairy dust up his sleeve.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!111

Goodness me! How I hope that is one of the secret Augs yet to be revealed.

It's great to have a city hub that gives some relief and puts action in a bit of a backseat, but there are times in a hub you'd still want to feel a little edgy and be half ready to switch to a full offensive mode, without being handicapped by... wardrobe. Say it's a stage of the game where I'm very much in a social area and yet actively being hunted by a main enemy character like Gunther, or there are "wanted bulletins" around the city reporting my alleged crimes like JC in Paris. I'm thinking you'd want your full arsenal of augs at the ready, just in case. What would AJ wear to that occasion?

It really sounds to me that the wardrobe is as non-restrictive as possible. Dugas was clear in Joe's interview that the player would be free to do whatever he wanted in Social Hubs... be as evil as he wanted.

Ilves
6th Jul 2010, 18:19
With a goatee like Adam's, the faery dust is never far away.

Spyhopping
6th Jul 2010, 18:30
Like I said, we don't know how they treat augs while in trench coat. It could very well be that each aug has a different animation for both situations. Even something like the Claymore aug could be made to work while in trench coat. For instance he lets the bombs fly out of his sleeves while doing a pirouette with his arms streched out.

True, he has little holes down the arms of his coat too, though probably just cosmetic. I just can't seem to imagine how it would be done practically, or without him getting one caught in the cuff and losing his third arm that year.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!111

Goodness me! How I hope that is one of the secret Augs yet to be revealed.

It really sounds to me that the wardrobe is as non-restrictive as possible. Dugas was clear in Joe's interview that the player would be free to do whatever he wanted in Social Hubs... be as evil as he wanted.

We've already seen it- he lets fly some fairy dust and then in third person ballets his way to the next bit of cover...

I don't reckon the coat will restrict augs, but I just can't see how they would work. I don't know why I'm arguing this point anyway, 'cause I tend to play really chilled and peacefully in city hub (or I love this "social hub" phrase we are throwing about) areas, if I can help it.

IOOI
6th Jul 2010, 18:36

Yes, but without a proper melee/HTH combat system you either shoot people (with a lethal or non-lethal weapon) or you get them by surprise and use a takedown. Unless NPCs get fully "blind" (lose LoS detection and only react to sound) if it's completly dark so we can sneak to use the takedowns, it means we'll be shooting alot.

LoL, I was expecting something like this.

Irate_Iguana
6th Jul 2010, 18:47
True, he has little holes down the arms of his coat too, though probably just cosmetic. I just can't seem to imagine how it would be done practically, or without him getting one caught in the cuff and losing his third arm that year.

He's throwing about explosives a foot or two, three away. Whether or not they get caught in his cuff he's not exactly safe. The claymore epitomizes the Rule of Cool they have going in this game.

ThePrecursor
6th Jul 2010, 19:05
He's throwing about explosives a foot or two, three away. Whether or not they get caught in his cuff he's not exactly safe. The claymore epitomizes the Rule of Cool they have going in this game.

What about the Rule Of Gaming in general.

hem dazon 90
6th Jul 2010, 19:09
never quote tv tropes.

singularity
6th Jul 2010, 20:00

I don't know... we've seen in trailers that this is a guy who could get smashed into a concrete barrier and still be fine. And I see a huge gameplay benefit from the claymore.

There were times that I would go through a level perfectly, because I wanted full reign to explore stealthily -- quick saving every minute, and reseting if I got caught. There were other times I would simply play as I wanted and let the consequences fall as they may, and not save at all until I was done for the night or about to try something very dangerous. Sometimes I would run and gun through an area.

In all of the above situations, a large group of guards was always the bane of my existence. It meant I HAD to sneak, even on my shooting runthrough, because the gunplay was horrible. It meant I had to reload a save, because I never had the resources to take on more than 2 or 3 guys at one time if the alarm got pulled. Almost anywhere in the game, 4+ guys right on you equaled instant death (and it does for a lot of shooters these days). I would have killed for the ability to drain 2/3 of my bioelectricity and kill 4 or 5 guys. It would have opened up A LOT of options for my playthroughs -- especially on harder difficulties.

As for the interview, I thought it was good. Thanks OP. It answered my question about Adam's wardrobe changes, and gave us a hint that "regen health" isn't quite the same system we see in Call of Duty. Also, glad to hear about some of the augs. But as usual, I wish things were elaborated upon more. 4 attachments for weapons, with some advanced ones? I'm dying to see this system in action, because it could be wonderfully complex or painfully simple...

super...
6th Jul 2010, 21:09

claymore could be the high end upgrade of an explosive defense aug. basically if explosions cant hurt you but will still kill stuff around you, then becoming an explosion sounds like an easy way to solve problems

pringlepower
6th Jul 2010, 21:21
As for the interview, I thought it was good. Thanks OP. It answered my question about Adam's wardrobe changes, and gave us a hint that "regen health" isn't quite the same system we see in Call of Duty. Also, glad to hear about some of the augs. But as usual, I wish things were elaborated upon more. 4 attachments for weapons, with some advanced ones? I'm dying to see this system in action, because it could be wonderfully complex or painfully simple...

Well it's the same with DE isn't it? Recoil, scope, laser (which I always found completely useless), clip, silencer. 5 total as I recall, and not compatible with all (although i wanted a silenced combat shotgun, alas). These advanced mods just seem like weapon-specific ones, like heatseeking for rockets (although how cool and imba would a heatseeking sniper rifle be?)

singularity
6th Jul 2010, 21:37
Well it's the same with DE isn't it? Recoil, scope, laser (which I always found completely useless), clip, silencer. 5 total as I recall, and not compatible with all (although i wanted a silenced combat shotgun, alas). These advanced mods just seem like weapon-specific ones, like heatseeking for rockets (although how cool and imba would a heatseeking sniper rifle be?)

Yeah, I guess that's a good point. But if I recall, you could dump several accuracy, clip and recoil mods on a single weapon, which I liked. It would kind of suck if it was just 4 different types of attachments, and you choose 2 to put on (like Invisible War).

pringlepower
6th Jul 2010, 21:58
Yeah, I guess that's a good point. But if I recall, you could dump several accuracy, clip and recoil mods on a single weapon, which I liked. It would kind of suck if it was just 4 different types of attachments, and you choose 2 to put on (like Invisible War).

Well if you want extra recoil damping there's always the recoil damping arm aug

Pinky_Powers
6th Jul 2010, 22:02

It was said in one of the interviews out there that Weapon Mods are stackable.

Don't ask me to look that up for you, though. :)

IOOI
6th Jul 2010, 22:26

I'm thinking that in those social areas using Melee/HTH combat would've made so much sense, because you'd need to avoid attracting more security guards or the police - a bit like in the Hong Kong level of DX, where you should avoid to use non-silenced weapons.

For instance, inside the club, the guards should strive to not hit the public (the sentence "Never bring a knife to a gunfight." would make no sense in this situation) so they should recur to knifes or batons for instance. Though I have to admit that IRL, sometimes, there are shootouts inside clubs, but you know what I mean. It would diversify the way one would engage combat.

singularity
7th Jul 2010, 00:00
It was said in one of the interviews out there that Weapon Mods are stackable.

Don't ask me to look that up for you, though. :)

Having them stackable just makes sense -- I'll take your word for it. And I'm getting more optimistic for this game by the day... I have to keep that in check. :)

Pinky_Powers
7th Jul 2010, 02:11
For instance, inside the club, the guards should strive to not hit the public (the sentence "Never bring a knife to a gunfight." would make no sense in this situation) so they should recur to knifes or batons for instance. Though I have to admit that IRL, sometimes, there are shootouts inside clubs, but you know what I mean. It would diversify the way one would engage combat.

Except it wouldn't seem very realistic for a Triad-run club to be guarded by nothing but a few goons with sticks. They would all have some form of fully-automatic firearm. Chinese gangs tend to dress for war. :cool:

IOOI
7th Jul 2010, 03:36
Except it wouldn't seem very realistic for a Triad-run club to be guarded by nothing but a few goons with sticks. They would all have some form of fully-automatic firearm. Chinese gangs tend to dress for war. :cool:

Nice way to scare the clients. :rolleyes:

If you watch the leaked footage you'll notice that no guard inside the Hive is carrying a gun. Though if AJ went through the back alley things could be different. :cool:

pringlepower
7th Jul 2010, 03:42
Nice way to scare the clients. :rolleyes:

If you watch the leaked footage you'll notice that no guard inside the Hive is carrying a gun. Though if AJ went through the back alley things could be different. :cool:

They'll pull the guns out of their abdomens like all good video game characters

jjc
7th Jul 2010, 03:51
They'll pull the guns out of their abdomens like all good video game characters

Long live The New Flesh.

Deus_Ex_Machina
7th Jul 2010, 04:35
Long live The New Flesh.

Don't you mean "Long live The New FRESH"?

c wut i did thar? :cool:

Pinky_Powers
7th Jul 2010, 08:31
If you watch the leaked footage you'll notice that no guard inside the Hive is carrying a gun.

How do you know? It's very easy to conceal an SMG. I'm telling you, if you pull a gun in that place, Tong's "worker bees" will unsheathe far worse than nightsticks.

Blade_hunter
7th Jul 2010, 14:14
Deus Ex 1 had 8 different upgrades, not just only 5 and some weapons can use 7 of those upgrades.

Range upgrade
Accuracy upgrade
Clip size upgrade
Reload speed upgrade
Recoil upgrade
Scope
Silencer
Laser pointer

The only upgrade that was exclusive to the skills was the damage one since upgrading skills reduced recoil, and reloading time and upgraded accuracy and damage, the damage is IMO the thing that made the least sense.

The Laser pointer which was useful since instead of aiming where the crosshair is pointing I have to aim where the laser is pointing even if it moves I could avoid to wait that my crosshair shrinks completely to make accurate shots.

The good new upgrades we had in DX 2 IMO were the refire rate, the ammo scavenger (used for energy weapons that could be great) and the damage upgrade (which were part of the skills before)
All the others like the EMP converter, the fragmentation thing and the glass destabilizer would be an ammo type.

Here we have some new upgrades and second what I saw and know

The minigun sounds to have a barrel upgrade, it has 3 barrels and can be upgraded to 4
The rocket launcher have its heat seeking system
The assault rifle have a silencer but the demo doesn't show it.
The pistol have also a silencer
We have an SMG but no info about it.
The sniper have also a silencer upgrade
The crossbow doesn't seem to have particular upgrades, but I just know that the scope is built in, and it has a retractable stock
The shotgun sounds to have an ironsight upgrade.
The stun pistol sounds to have a laser pointer upgrade
The revolver have an ammo upgrade 5 ammo up to 8 per cylinders so a 3 level upgrade for it I can see that it has two different upgrades, which I can't guess what they are, I think one is a laser pointer, but I doubt of it except if it's a magnetic accelerator ...