PDA

View Full Version : The chokehold, AKA "Strong-Arming".

QuarantineX
5th Jul 2010, 21:30
I know the devs were trying something new with the ability to get other players in a human shield chokehold, but unfortunately I'm gonna have to say I don't think it's right.

I just played a game where a couple players were really abusing it.

The thing is, there's a point when you KNOW someone is trying to kill you/get you in a chokehold, but if you try to kill them first, you get branded a traitor, since they didn't actually shoot you. This is where's it's kind of broken.

Also, I'm not completely sure how it even works... I mean, there have been times when someone will grab me, and drop me to the ground right away, without even leaving me any chance to fight back by pressing the buttons or whatever.

When I try it, it just lets go of the person and they don't drop to the ground.

You might say "Well, don't let them get close enough to grab you!" It's kind of hard because, like I said, if I try shooting them I'll get marked as a traitor.

I expect someone to probably say something like "CRY MOAR", but hey, it's really cheap and annoying.

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jul 2010, 21:42
*looks at your avatar when reading "CRY MOAR"* ...

Anywya , i wonder if it's not best to just remove this grabbing feature altogether ...

Brackstone17
5th Jul 2010, 21:43
I was thinking it would be good if there was a delay from the time that a player grabs another player as a hostage and when the can toss them to the ground. That way people won't be just running up and tossing people to kill them.

Bevacur
5th Jul 2010, 21:44
It's fun getting people into a chokehold, i love throwing people downstairs and then unloading tons of lead into their ass. I was surprised how i could not execute them, but then it would be too easy.

QuarantineX
5th Jul 2010, 21:44

Haha, guess it seems appropriate?

Maybe if they just do away with the whole "Ima throw you to the ground in a second before you even have a chance" thing.

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jul 2010, 21:47
I was thinking it would be good if there was a delay from the time that a player grabs another player as a hostage and when the can toss them to the ground. That way people won't be just running up and tossing people to kill them.

Awe crap ...

Now that i think about it , this is going to be a issue in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood as well ...

Why couldn't they just add a 'fistfight' mode instead of all this grabbing and throwing ...

Bawabus
5th Jul 2010, 21:47

Anywya , i wonder if it's not best to just remove this grabbing feature altogether ...

I think it adds something. I haven't had a problem getting away from those people. They're marked as traitors right away anyway and I've saved a few people from being killed by people that try and kill people that way.

There should definitely be some way for you to protect yourself, though.

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jul 2010, 21:51
i love throwing people downstairs

Yeah alright , i'm taking the elevator next time ...

I think it adds something. I haven't had a problem getting away from those people. They're marked as traitors right away anyway and I've saved a few people from being killed by people that try and kill people that way.

There should definitely be some way for you to protect yourself, though.

I was thinking about people who will wait near the van , then grab kill a player and escaping right away , he might be branded a traitor but it wouldn't matter since he's already out of the game ...

Skipp343
5th Jul 2010, 22:30
I have'nt played the demo yet so im not completely sure how it works, but maybe some kind of system where the person grabbed can tap a button to break free of the hold.

joe the janitor
5th Jul 2010, 22:37
I have'nt played the demo yet so im not completely sure how it works, but maybe some kind of system where the person grabbed can tap a button to break free of the hold.
Are you being sarcastic? Umm.... Thats what you do. It's just that it takes 10 seconds to do, and it takes 2 seconds for them to throw you on the ground and kill you.

kelly is belly
6th Jul 2010, 05:53
I know the devs were trying something new with the ability to get other players in a human shield chokehold, but unfortunately I'm gonna have to say I don't think it's right.

I just played a game where a couple players were really abusing it.

The thing is, there's a point when you KNOW someone is trying to kill you/get you in a chokehold, but if you try to kill them first, you get branded a traitor, since they didn't actually shoot you. This is where's it's kind of broken.

Also, I'm not completely sure how it even works... I mean, there have been times when someone will grab me, and drop me to the ground right away, without even leaving me any chance to fight back by pressing the buttons or whatever.

When I try it, it just lets go of the person and they don't drop to the ground.

You might say "Well, don't let them get close enough to grab you!" It's kind of hard because, like I said, if I try shooting them I'll get marked as a traitor.

I expect someone to probably say something like "CRY MOAR", but hey, it's really cheap and annoying.

needs to be taken out the only reason people to it is to grap real quick then jump in van because they suck or to throw you on the ground and kill you because they also suck! It should only be needed to take AI

ohitspatty
6th Jul 2010, 07:54
Are you being sarcastic? Umm.... Thats what you do. It's just that it takes 10 seconds to do, and it takes 2 seconds for them to throw you on the ground and kill you.

That's where a shotgun comes into a play. A perfect secondary weapon and packs some serious heat in close range. Shotgun, let it be your friend...

GrievousOdyssey
6th Jul 2010, 12:04
That's where a shotgun comes into a play. A perfect secondary weapon and packs some serious heat in close range. Shotgun, let it be your friend...

It's my primary and secondary weapon , and if i could , i'll use both of them at the same time ...
Because that's what gangster does ! ...

serenxxx
6th Jul 2010, 12:59
As for the Human Shield, wouldnt the best thing be that once you grab someone as a human shield you have to press a series of buttons to get them in a chokehold, and at the same time the player being grabbed has to press the exact same button combo to break it, that way the fastest player wins and either breaks free or puts the chokehold on.

Kyodan
6th Jul 2010, 21:50
As for the Human Shield, wouldnt the best thing be that once you grab someone as a human shield you have to press a series of buttons to get them in a chokehold, and at the same time the player being grabbed has to press the exact same button combo to break it, that way the fastest player wins and either breaks free or puts the chokehold on.

Agreed, if the choked person misses a key, the choker should keep his hold longer and/or can throw the person on the ground. If the choker misses a key, the choked person should be able to break free (without falling down).

To get around the grabbing and throwing on the ground exploit, the choker should not be able throw the choked on the ground if the choked is successfully hitting those keys.

Bevacur
6th Jul 2010, 21:51
Then that make things 10x harder for the guy holding the poor guy in the chokehold.

He/she has to keep mashing buttons while defending her/himself from other players and moving around. Seems abit unfair, but i guess it helps balance the chokehold spamming.

GrievousOdyssey
6th Jul 2010, 21:54

This guy makes sense , i agree ! ...

Kyodan
7th Jul 2010, 00:41
Actually, removing it altogether in MP would probably be best now that I think about it. Or maybe just having it in UC, but only the Undercover Cop can choke other players? Would give him an advantage, considering how tough his role is already. He can use it to grab other players away from sight to kill them.

needs to be taken out the only reason people to it is to grap real quick then jump in van because they suck or to throw you on the ground and kill you because they also suck! It should only be needed to take AI

Agreed.

Zidrien
8th Jul 2010, 07:04
I admit, I used to think it was a nice idea, but I just played a couple of games, and yes, players are certainly abusing it. It's beginning to be a pain.

Bawabus
8th Jul 2010, 18:07
I admit, I used to think it was a nice idea, but I just played a couple of games, and yes, players are certainly abusing it. It's beginning to be a pain.

Do you think you can adapt to it? or has it been impossible to get away from in your experience?