PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favourite Deus Ex.... Music

biofuel
5th Jul 2010, 14:48
We all know DX had the best music soundtrack ever seen in a game, just plain cool. And we all know the level of immersion is ramped up in the original via the incredibly atmospheric and fitting music, that gives each level its own unique flavour and appeal as the game draws you in, during each progressive stage as it develops. Each flavour is awesome, lets face it, and unique, but there are certain people who seem to favour certain stages, or 'levels' more than the others due in no small part to the music of that level.

Personally, this instant *Battery Park* is where its at.

So my question is, right now this very instant, regardless of what you liked in the past what right this minute comes to mind as your favourite piece of music from Deus Ex?

TrickyVein
5th Jul 2010, 14:51
Saying that DX had the best music in a video game is going a bit too far. But I get your sentiment.

I've always liked the Versalife corporate music the best. Perfect for espionage, while sounding modern and upbeat. The training mission's music is also a favorite.

Ilves
5th Jul 2010, 15:00
There's such a discrepancy between how well some of the tracks work in-game compared to out of game.

Very effective in-game were Liberty Island, Majestic 12 Labs, the Airfield. Out of game I love the Versalife theme, but it didn't feel nearly as potent in the level itself.

Stand alone faves are Synapse, the Chateau, and the Area 51 battle music.

But if I had to pick just one track that encapsulates the whole DX experience, I'd almost say NYC.

Serendip1ty
5th Jul 2010, 15:03
Deus Ex - NYC Streets :)

Also check out the music from Unreal & Unreal Tournament if you're into DX music. I'm 100% positive you'll eventually find something you'll like

Example:

Unreal title music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD6QbntbYPw ... a bit uplifting but could have been a DX track or am I wrong? :)

sonicsidewinder
5th Jul 2010, 15:20
UNATCO theme
Wan Chai District theme
Area 51 battle theme

It is a great soundtrack.

Pinky_Powers
5th Jul 2010, 15:26
I suck at noticing music.

I know Hong Kong was very catchy, but terribly annoying.

Hell's Kitch was good, Versalife was good.

Like I said, I such at this sort of thing.

TrickyVein
5th Jul 2010, 16:06
The Missle-Silo music right after the sub-base was pretty good too. And who can forget Duclare's Chateau's soundtrack?

The dialogue-specific track to the Paris Cathedral is exemplary.

For anyone with their data files still on their hard drive, Mod Plug Tracker (available for free: http://sourceforge.net/projects/modplug/) can open and read the music files from DX (and some other games).

xsamitt
5th Jul 2010, 16:27
Saying that DX had the best music in a video game is going a bit too far. But I get your sentiment.

I've always liked the Versalife corporate music the best. Perfect for espionage, while sounding modern and upbeat. The training mission's music is also a favorite.

It may be going to far for you but like the op....DX1 music is the cats meow.:flowers:

Pinky_Powers
5th Jul 2010, 17:00
Morrowind had truly stunning music. I barely even played the game, but my friends were always listening to the soundtrack.

LisuPL
5th Jul 2010, 17:20
Every track of Deus Ex 1 i epic.....even the main menu theme is considered good by me, while in the beginning it was so annoying to my ears haha

Pinky_Powers
5th Jul 2010, 17:32
Every track of Deus Ex 1 i epic.....even the main menu theme is considered good by me, while in the beginning it was so annoying to my ears haha

My ringtone alternates between the Theme songs for Deus Ex and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Kodaemon
5th Jul 2010, 17:35
UNATCO by far for me. Though I do have a thing for NYCstreets too. On the other hand, I find a lot of the music from DX simply annoying, including (le gasp!) the main theme. At least Yahtzee managed to make it funny ;)

atLaNt1s
5th Jul 2010, 17:46
NYC streets.

Fluffis
5th Jul 2010, 17:51
UNATCO, followed by NYC Streets and Hong Kong.

Huntress
5th Jul 2010, 18:12
NYC is my very fav. Have it on one of my PC's and listened to it many times, but computer is not currently in my home and I miss listening to it. ;)

pringlepower
5th Jul 2010, 19:07
Hell's Kitchen was my favourite in terms of atmosphere
Hong Kong markets was just catchy - especially with Brandon's new remix on Overclocked

Vasarto
6th Jul 2010, 07:06
New York and battery part from Deus Ex 1.

hem dazon 90
6th Jul 2010, 07:06
hells kitchen

Kodaemon
6th Jul 2010, 07:12
I'm quite baffled people here like Battery Park... it's the least favourite for me.

Battery Park music-->*BOOM-BADA-PSHHT-FART*

Matter of taste I guess ;P

Invictus Sol
6th Jul 2010, 13:00
Track that played during cutscene between rooftop in NYC and arriving at the Brooklyn Naval Shipyards. It was removed on the GOTY version. I'll find that track yet!

biofuel
6th Jul 2010, 13:06
Battery Park... really sums up Deus Ex in many ways for me, in terms of the atmosphere generated. Many of the tracks do the same thing in their own right also. Despite being synonomous with the original game, I never really liked Battery Park until realising its *such* a classic -- ageing like the finest wine right now for real. Peace....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU62Tqw2CPQ

Valdyr
6th Jul 2010, 15:00
Morrowind had truly stunning music. I barely even played the game, but my friends were always listening to the soundtrack.

Really? Because I thought Morrowind only had 2 pieces of music, one for battle and one for not in battle, however it has been a while since I played it so I guess my memory is a little foggy.

But probably one of the best soundtracks I have seen in a game so far would have to belong to SOTN.

Kodaemon
6th Jul 2010, 15:13
Morrowind's music was nice, but very samey, ditto for Oblivion. The Jeremy Soule soundtrack I still like best is the one for Total Annihilation.

J.CDenton
6th Jul 2010, 15:17
The training level music
Unatco music
New York Streets
Majestic 12 prison music
Wan Chai Market
Tonoshi Road
Paris - Conversation music
Paris -Street
Paris - Cathedral
Paris - Duclare Chateau

I guess that's the best I can remember.

Can't wait to hear that Human Revolution score

;)

Algarys
6th Jul 2010, 18:05
The Silo Music
The Ocean Lab action music, when you hear it entirely, it becomes catching and quite epic :D

Also, the Trier Theme Music from Invisible War, because of the investigation-like rythm and the references to the Original Deus Ex Theme.

xsamitt
10th Jul 2010, 13:24
The music IN DX1 is really incredible.The new guy has some big shoes to fill.

maikaal
10th Jul 2010, 14:21
We all know DX had the best music soundtrack ever seen in a game.

Obviously you haven't heard Unreal's soundtrack from the same authors. We can only guess how fantastic Deus Ex's soundtrack would be if they didn't spend their talent/inspiration on Unreal just before Deus Ex. Unreal has 30+ awesome tracks while Deus Ex has 10 at most.

TrickyVein
10th Jul 2010, 14:26
QFT.

*brofist*

Though I don't think it's precise to view a composer's spontaneity and genius as a king of level-meter that needs to recharge before working on a new set of pieces...

manticore7
10th Jul 2010, 21:57
I always liked the versalife theme when you have to sneak in the second time, the escape from UNATCO theme and the Tracer Tong ending theme.

SquidPirate
13th Jul 2010, 23:36
While I certainly don't agree that DX had the best music in a game, it's a tribute to the unique flavor the game that you can hear any of its tracks and just KNOW that it was Deus Ex.

What's my favorite?

Two words:

Castle Clinton.

Pinky_Powers
14th Jul 2010, 01:35
Though I don't think it's precise to view a composer's spontaneity and genius as a king of level-meter that needs to recharge before working on a new set of pieces...

Why not?

This is a very real obstacle creative people have to contend with. Whether or not this played into Deus Ex's musical assets is impossible to say from a strictly outsiders perspective. But certainly could have.

As much as I like the music in Deus Ex, I've never been especially impressed by it. And I would have liked it to be better, when it really comes down to it.

Blade_hunter
14th Jul 2010, 02:16
I always preferred the musics from Unreal than the ones of Deus Ex but that's my point of view of course.
Also Unreal has an other style of music, it's more "exotic" than the ones from Deus Ex and less discrete.
That's a bit how I qualify the music of DX, "discrete"; that's not pejorative but that's a bit the thing.

loveassassin13
14th Jul 2010, 05:21
Mine is either the original theme for Deus Ex or the UNATCO theme

OH, and Ending 1, almost forgot about that one

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Jul 2010, 08:23
I actually like every single part of the soundtrack and listen to it often, even now, but if I was forced to choose just one track then I guess I'd have to go for the Paris Streets.

Skin
14th Jul 2010, 10:52
Hell's Kitchen was my favourite in terms of atmosphere
Hong Kong markets was just catchy - especially with Brandon's new remix on Overclocked

wow i love this remix :D

Hertzila
14th Jul 2010, 18:46
Top Three:
Synapse (Hong Kong market)
UNATCO Return (When you come from the MJ12 base)
Title theme (Call me predictable)

NYC Streets will probably never leave my head though, spent too much time exploring and trying what I can do while it played in the background.

Gizmostuff
14th Jul 2010, 20:02
DuClare Chateau (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX0hU7jQ5O4&feature=PlayList&p=95458751DC68569A&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=4) and the Second visit to Hells Kitchen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS187IggPT8&feature=related) hands down!

WildcatPhoenix
14th Jul 2010, 20:11
Second the motion for DuClare Chateau.

Absolutely my favorite level, but the music pushed it over the top to glory! :p

Gizmostuff
14th Jul 2010, 20:18
Yeah! I get goose bumps everytime I here it. Another one that's good and very underrated is the training room (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LODWHaRrDY&feature=related).