PDA

View Full Version : Fragile Alliance NPCs

Apathy Trigger
3rd Jul 2010, 14:31
As a veteran of the first game I was really excited to play this demo. The first was one of those rare games that despite it really not being that great of a game, its raw potential made me loyal to franchise and hoping for a second chance, and this demo is giving me a taste of the Kane and Lynch experience I wanted to have. However, I still see a number of areas the game could improve on and one of the most prominent to me is the NPC cops in Fragile Alliance.

The two main things I would like to see improved are the locations of the NPCs and having them respawn. For the first I would just like to see the NPCs be moved around a little bit, even if it was just four or five preset spawn layouts and the game randomly chose one at the start of each round. As is stands I can simply get away with a methodical approach. Buy a shotgun, take the right street, shotgun the three cops up the stairway, grab the fire extinguisher, blow up the two behind the dumpster, take out the two to the right of the stairs, time to kill the dog, etc etc. I think mixing around the locations would add to the already tense atmosphere of FA.

Secondly I would like to see some form of reinforcements. It's fun battling your way to the getaway point, but once you reach there, even if you get left behind alone there is absolutely zero tension unless there is another player cop. I don't mean anything horde mode ridiculous, just more cops spawning throughout the course of the game. I don't think a minute by minute system would work as I feel that would be unfair and not intuitive to how the game is designed, but maybe in the final minute 10 or so cops respawn on the scene, and then maybe a few more at 30 seconds, just something so that when the last cop is killed you can't just leisurely stroll to the van if you're playing with a more loyal group of players and add even more to the sense of urgency.

Anyway that's my wall of text, please discuss, critique, and add your own ideas, and hopefully get some player generated ideas to the devs.

GrievousOdyssey
3rd Jul 2010, 15:34
and add even more to the sense of urgency

This is important ...

Kiljoy
3rd Jul 2010, 15:39
My problem is with the hostage taking, I don't think grabbing a player should be an insta traitor. I say that because people like to grab a player when getting into the van, then immediately jump in the van and get away. Maybe it would be better if taking another player hostage resulted in a yellow card, that way everyone can still kill you but not be traitors. This would stop people from accidently doing it and simply getting easy escapes.

kelly is belly
4th Jul 2010, 00:04
As a veteran of the first game I was really excited to play this demo. The first was one of those rare games that despite it really not being that great of a game, its raw potential made me loyal to franchise and hoping for a second chance, and this demo is giving me a taste of the Kane and Lynch experience I wanted to have. However, I still see a number of areas the game could improve on and one of the most prominent to me is the NPC cops in Fragile Alliance.

The two main things I would like to see improved are the locations of the NPCs and having them respawn. For the first I would just like to see the NPCs be moved around a little bit, even if it was just four or five preset spawn layouts and the game randomly chose one at the start of each round. As is stands I can simply get away with a methodical approach. Buy a shotgun, take the right street, shotgun the three cops up the stairway, grab the fire extinguisher, blow up the two behind the dumpster, take out the two to the right of the stairs, time to kill the dog, etc etc. I think mixing around the locations would add to the already tense atmosphere of FA.

Secondly I would like to see some form of reinforcements. It's fun battling your way to the getaway point, but once you reach there, even if you get left behind alone there is absolutely zero tension unless there is another player cop. I don't mean anything horde mode ridiculous, just more cops spawning throughout the course of the game. I don't think a minute by minute system would work as I feel that would be unfair and not intuitive to how the game is designed, but maybe in the final minute 10 or so cops respawn on the scene, and then maybe a few more at 30 seconds, just something so that when the last cop is killed you can't just leisurely stroll to the van if you're playing with a more loyal group of players and add even more to the sense of urgency.

Anyway that's my wall of text, please discuss, critique, and add your own ideas, and hopefully get some player generated ideas to the devs.

the reinforcement idea isgood

TAPETRVE
4th Jul 2010, 00:12
Maybe the police should have vans as spawnpoints, too, that leave and return, throwing new policemen onto the field periodically.

Andyhugs
4th Jul 2010, 06:02
I like ur ideas trigger

Kyodan
4th Jul 2010, 08:17
Agreed on the random AI locations. This would prevent players from memorizing locations and having the match just be a game of memory rather than skill.

I also agree with the reinforcements idea. Also, adding sirens in the background (as an ambient sound) to signify reinforcements would help to add to the tension. From the videos I've seen of gameplay, it was pretty quiet (when it came to sounds in the background). For a situation like this, I'd expect the whole city police force to be dispatched, with sirens wailing throughout the air.

Kyodan
4th Jul 2010, 08:59
Maybe the police should have vans as spawnpoints, too, that leave and return, throwing new policemen onto the field periodically.

I like this.

Zidrien
4th Jul 2010, 09:02
That would be interesting, but it may be a little late to put that into the game.