PDA

View Full Version : potential 3 person take down melee gameplay

super...
3rd Jul 2010, 04:18
this is a speculation thread on how exactly the 3rd person melee take downs work. this is not for asking for something else or crying about how you dont like 3rd person.

depending on how it's done i may end up enjoying take down style melee. so long as one important thing is maintained.

The potential to be a melee focused character.

here are some variables that could make this happen with what we have currently seen

attack range

attack speed

attack sound

attack groups

attack context

assuming the melee combat is simply one button press all of these variables could go into making melee interesting.

lets say non-augmented adam has a very short range and a limited context as to how he can take down an enemy. So he has to be right behind the guy and still unnoticed in order to pull off a silent take down, and given how weak he is this take down takes a long time to execute, giving other guards time notice what is going on.

if he goes lethal the take down is shorter but perhaps less silent

if he has a knife or baton it goes even quicker, maybe he is allowed to assault someone who has already spotted him.

As Adam gets better augs and skills his melee combat attack ranges and context get wider, attack speeds get quicker, he is capable of taking down one more more enemy at a time.

pressing the melee button becomes a wager of Adam's abilities against the situation, and what resources should be spent to turn the situation in his favor. Questions become the core of melee game play. like "how much damage will I take from that third guy while i take down those two, is it enough to kill me? should I activate my ballistics aug?, throw a gas grenade? maybe if i climbed on top of those boxes i could jump off and take them down quick enough to just shoot that third guy".

If this is how the game works i would love it to death. it would be so appropriate for an rpg. Making the wager, pressing the button and then watching how it goes down.

can you guys think of other ways melee take downs could lead to interesting play?

atLaNt1s
3rd Jul 2010, 07:16
yes, it does sound more interesting.

luminar
3rd Jul 2010, 16:42
this is a speculation thread on how exactly the 3rd person melee take downs work. this is not for asking for something else or crying about how you dont like 3rd person.

depending on how it's done i may end up enjoying take down style melee. so long as one important thing is maintained.

The potential to be a melee focused character.

here are some variables that could make this happen with what we have currently seen

attack range

attack speed

attack sound

attack groups

attack context

assuming the melee combat is simply one button press all of these variables could go into making melee interesting.

lets say non-augmented adam has a very short range and a limited context as to how he can take down an enemy. So he has to be right behind the guy and still unnoticed in order to pull off a silent take down, and given how weak he is this take down takes a long time to execute, giving other guards time notice what is going on.

if he goes lethal the take down is shorter but perhaps less silent

if he has a knife or baton it goes even quicker, maybe he is allowed to assault someone who has already spotted him.

As Adam gets better augs and skills his melee combat attack ranges and context get wider, attack speeds get quicker, he is capable of taking down one more more enemy at a time.

pressing the melee button becomes a wager of Adam's abilities against the situation, and what resources should be spent to turn the situation in his favor. Questions become the core of melee game play. like "how much damage will I take from that third guy while i take down those two, is it enough to kill me? should I activate my ballistics aug?, throw a gas grenade? maybe if i climbed on top of those boxes i could jump off and take them down quick enough to just shoot that third guy".

If this is how the game works i would love it to death. it would be so appropriate for an rpg. Making the wager, pressing the button and then watching how it goes down.

can you guys think of other ways melee take downs could lead to interesting play?

I love this idea!

Remington
3rd Jul 2010, 22:08
Finally, positivity!

AaronJ
3rd Jul 2010, 22:12
I was thinking about this as well. I've been playing Manhunt recently, and the third-person takedowns vary depending on how long you are able to linger behind them.

Pretentious Old Man.
3rd Jul 2010, 23:42
I wouldn't mind so much if the game just pulled out to third person for them. However, regrettably, since they are in cutscene form, I would not bet too much that they will be too contextually sensitive.

Unless they only made them cutscenes for teh kewlz at E3, which is possible, in which case I shall shut up.

breakdown234
4th Jul 2010, 18:32
just trash the entire kindergarden 3rd person garbage and this cutscene buisness is gettin me fd off as well any thougts guys

once_more
4th Jul 2010, 18:41
they think it'ss coool and really wantyou to see rthe shiny, no way

breakdown234
4th Jul 2010, 18:56
they think its COOL they must be high thats what anyways ill be goin back to my topic peace

once_more
4th Jul 2010, 19:12
they live in montreal, of course they're high
nothing but hippies and potheads there

breakdown234
4th Jul 2010, 19:18
i knew it but once more please lets keep this on my thread do me the favour so we can make it like the main meeting point for discussions fot the devs to read if they even do i can only hope

updated post thanks to theprecursors watchfull eyes ,thanks man sorry bout them grammatical mistakes

ThePrecursor
4th Jul 2010, 20:21
we can make it like the main meating point

*shudders*

I don't wanna know, man. As long as you keep me out of this.