PDA

View Full Version : 'Art' in video games ...

GrievousOdyssey
2nd Jul 2010, 05:55
What's your take on it ? ...

I think most people already have a hard time explaining just what 'art' is that in the end , they just pick the shiniest pastoral looking thing and call it art ... along with thousands of other people who will all agree ...

ohitspatty
2nd Jul 2010, 06:02
It really depends. I bet you'll call me an idiot but some videogames are "art".

GrievousOdyssey
2nd Jul 2010, 06:05
NOT POSSIBLE ...

Seriously though , Dead Men was Art to me ...
Games like Okami , Ico , and Shadow of the Colossus ... not so much 'art' to me ...

UhUh
2nd Jul 2010, 08:29
Well as you said, we need a definition of art before even bothering.
I'll go with my favorite that anything that's man created to express an emotion is art.

Now, are games art? yup, all of them? nope, is it good art? well...depends.
Let's take K&L, the story is very emotional, but it's is it becouse of the game? well, sometimes, but I can't help but feel that the game part of it is there just to entertain us.

What makes a game are the mechanics, the rules, so for a game to be art, the rules by themself have to create an emotion, and they can! but are nowadays used for that? not intentionally, not always. In wich part is a game made to make you feel emotional, and wich to entertain is what makes the difference.

I think we have yet to see a big divide from games made for an artfull intent, from the ones for a general entertainment; much like comics and graphic novels, we'll need a different name for those.

GrievousOdyssey
2nd Jul 2010, 08:38
Arty ... Artivity ... Artisculoso ... Activision ...

**** it , let's just call it Schizophrenia ...

BeardedHoplite
2nd Jul 2010, 15:16
I believe that gamers should take off their berets, turn off the B/W filter, grab some cheetos and just play. Who cares what some snooty cinema people say about games.

MxOAgentJohnson
2nd Jul 2010, 15:17
I agree some video games are art, but lately trailers for games have become really big works of emotional art, the "Leave a message" trailer for medal of honor was absoloutely brilliant, and so was the trailer for Crysis 2, the one in new york city.

Trailers are becoming great works of art in the gaming industry now,.

GrievousOdyssey
2nd Jul 2010, 15:28
Who cares what some snooty cinema people say about games.

Well at least someone here knows who i was referencing with this topic ...

I agree some video games are art, but lately trailers for games have become really big works of emotional art, the "Leave a message" trailer for medal of honor was absoloutely brilliant, and so was the trailer for Crysis 2, the one in new york city.

Kane & Lynch's trailers confirms it as well ...

That Said , just how much of the 'drama' shown in trailers are going to be found in game as well ? i seriously doubt Crysis 2 is going to provoke that sense of loss , or that Medal of Honor is going to be a critique of war ...
I don't mind good trailers , what i'm worried is Why do they make trailers like this if the game will have nothing to do with the trailers ? ...

Incidentally , Bioshock's 2 trailers shown nothing but action , then you see the game's first five minutes and you're going to cry all over the place ...

Hell i'm sobbing right now just by thinking at it ...

JackGordon
2nd Jul 2010, 15:31
Well at least someone here knows who i was referencing with this topic ...
Quickly stealing a quote from a user at Gamespot: For someone to say "no, this is not art because it does not meet my preconceived idea of what art should be" is to make it painfully obvious that they do not grasp what art actually is.

GrievousOdyssey
2nd Jul 2010, 15:34
Quickly stealing a quote from a user at Gamespot: For someone to say "no, this is not art because it does not meet my preconceived idea of what art should be" is to make it painfully obvious that they do not grasp what art actually is.

Speaking of which , everyone saw my work of art yet ? ...

JackGordon
2nd Jul 2010, 15:42
Well, I actually agree; you tried to say something by editing various bits and pieces of existing footage. And the message was clear.
And it doesn't matter if the editing was crappy etc, what matters is: you got your point across. So yes, I think your vids were art.

But, could you sell your vids to a museum? No, because a museum is a place where the champaign-sipping elite decide what art is. Elitist pricks such as Ebert.

And here, we're not in a museum.

taylornathan2991
2nd Jul 2010, 15:44

I agree with that too man, if you check out deus Ex E3 trailer its just oozing art.:nut:

GrievousOdyssey
2nd Jul 2010, 15:51
Editing Crappy ????! YOU MUST DIE ! ...
*insert random video footage of lazers blowing your chair up , and you fall on your ass* ...

But anywya , i was mentionning my video again not because i wanted to ask if it was art or not (since i Bloody Well Know It Is Art ! I made It Damn It) , though it feels good when other people say it *acts proud and all* , i made it to get a message across indeed , but i made it For Us , The Brotherhood of Dead Men , so it would be a bit silly if not all of our Brethrens saw it whereas the new forum users are probably looking at it right now with their eye balls falling off and their brains shattered and stick itself on the roof ...

So i'm going to do a wise thing and leave the link here ...
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=110771

GrievousOdyssey
2nd Jul 2010, 16:00
But, could you sell your vids to a museum? No, because a museum is a place where the champaign-sipping elite decide what art is. Elitist pricks such as Ebert.

And here, we're not in a museum.

A Museum ? nah , the stuff locked in museums were objects that had once valor , meaning , beauty , it is now locked into a place where it is automatically considered as 'Art' , people who visits museum just look at it and say 'i like this one' or 'i like this one better' ... it's disgusting , and if the artists who made these works were still living and saw this , they would burn , smash , tear down their works right there and there ...

Anywya ...

I do not need a Museum to feel 'joy' of my work's appreciations , i don't want strange unknown people 'touching' at my works as if it was just an object of amazement ...

You all , brothers and sister , you are My museum , it is whom my work is made for , it is what my work would want to be , for your appreciations only ...

PS : i say this now , but who knows what i'll be doing in a few years ...

Then again i do know that i'm a weird person , so i might just be the stubborn one who sticks to his words ... and that's good to know ...

GrievousOdyssey
9th May 2011, 23:50
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300681/news/games-officially-declared-art-in-us/

It begins ... ... finally ...

JackGordon
10th May 2011, 00:02
Yes, because everyone absolutely needed confirmation.

GrievousOdyssey
10th May 2011, 17:41
Actually , yes , we Do Need this kind of 'confirmation' ...

I'm speaking from the industry's point of view , that is ...

More specifically it now demands a more ... civilised state of standards , so that we don't get stuck with David Cage acting as the only dude who knows how to handle emotions ...

Making the recognition that games are Art today , finally , is quite a joke for us civilised cavemen , of course ...
But for the industry , it can now officially strive for a respectable business , and not consider Art as a mere speciality of a handful of developers , no , no more ... Now , they can make their business , into Art ...
And that is important, especially for you who loathe the PEW-PEW-PEW games so much ...

Well of course there's the risk that some major publishers will proceed in making Art into their business...
In that case we'll have even more pretentious fake arts steam rolling out of the chimney, and Moar David Cage... and it'll be high time to nuke some things...

JackGordon
10th May 2011, 18:29
In that case we'll have even more pretentious fake arts steam rolling out of the chimney, and Moar David Cage... and it'll be high time to nuke some things...Exactly. Watch as this will rapidly backfire.

GrievousOdyssey
10th May 2011, 18:58
Man you do know that this IS the plot twist of the story ? From "making a business into Art" to "turning Art into a business" , while that was hinted since the beginning , the conspiracy was only supposed to be confirmed by the end of third act ! and then the fourth act would have been the annihilation/hunt for the real Art makers , and then fifth act dealing with a senseless retribution ! ...

Damn it Gordon , the spoiler ! ...