PDA

View Full Version : The Annoying elements in games that you like ...

GrievousOdyssey
29th Jun 2010, 19:37
At one point or another you will (most of the time) find a section or gameplay element of a game that you like to be a real annoyance , it's either that boss fight or a sudden poor design choices that makes you say "**** ! This game could have been perfect without this stupid useless crap !" or something like that ...

So , what were the things that 'damaged' your otherwise completely enjoyable experience in the games that you liked ? ...

UhUh
29th Jun 2010, 20:00
Quick spam events on Indigo Prophecy, even without them the story it's still horribile, but that didn't help.

Sierra adventure games...if anybody played one, you know what I mean, random death, or best of all, at the end of the game you're stuck becouse you left an item behind.

Unforgivin difficoulty. I like challenging games, I don't like impossible games. Worst offenders are mostly old games.

Jrpg fights. It's not that I don't like turn based, I hate that the fights happen in another dimension, not the place where you are; and jumping foward and back to attack is stupid.

Alone in the dark/Resident Evil movement/shooting style(before RE4) I never got around moving a character and aiming properly.

Dead Rising save system, like Sierra games of old, too easy to get stuck in an impossible situation.

Bevacur
29th Jun 2010, 21:03
Big black muscly loud guy that has a very bad case of tourettes and has to drop a F-bomb in every sentence. Also has to carry a big ****-off weapon, talks like a gangster, oh and has no fears at all. *Cough* Cole * Cough* *sneeze* Rico * sneeze*

Can't we have a decent black guy who is maybe a skinny guy for a change who happens to be intelligent but not looking like another black sterotype? *puke* Norbit *puke*

OK maybe these are sterotypes. Annoying element in a game? Russian's always the bad guys, i would not be surprised if they nuked America after all the games US produced involves killing Russians.

GrievousOdyssey
29th Jun 2010, 21:09
*Carl Johnson and Victor Vance are organizing a drive-by to your place right now* ...

Seriously these two guys are a breath of fresh air to the black stereotypes ...

Niko Bellic is Balkan , but for most people he is Russian , so that makes it One Russian guy killing americans , disaster averted ...

PS : then again Modern Warfare 2 has teached the Russians how to succesfully put chaos into the US , so disaster not-so-averted after all ...

Brackstone17
29th Jun 2010, 21:18
NOLAN NORTH.

He makes many games significantly worse if you ask me. I would have bought Dark Void if it weren't for him.

GrievousOdyssey
29th Jun 2010, 21:22
He should have just stick with the roles of Desmond Miles and Nathan Drake , these two suits him well as he does manages to 'stay' in character ... not so much for the rest though ...

Brackstone17
29th Jun 2010, 21:26
My problem with Nolan North is that I consider him to be the laziest voice actor in the world. His Drake voice is just his normal speaking voice, the same voice he uses in almost every other role. It wouldn't be so bad if he weren't in every game that comes out nowadays.

GrievousOdyssey
29th Jun 2010, 21:37
My problem with Nolan North is that I consider him to be the laziest voice actor in the world. His Drake voice is just his normal speaking voice, the same voice he uses in almost every other role. It wouldn't be so bad if he weren't in every game that comes out nowadays.

Indeed , it's hard for us to even look at the character he plays without having in mind "hey that's Nolan" and ignoring the character's personnality completely ...

I read in one review however that his (minor) role in Alpha Protocle was ... rather good ...

Then again i only plan to buy that game in six months , so ...

Brackstone17
29th Jun 2010, 21:43
The problem is his characters almost always have the same personality. He's always the witty dashing hero that may stumble a bit but always end up on top.

To me, Nolan North represents the stereotypical videogame protagonist.

joe the janitor
29th Jun 2010, 22:15
He should have just stick with the roles of blandest sentient life form in the universe and Smug ****-hole, these two suits him well as he does manages to 'stay' in character ... not so much for the rest though ...
He he, just adding there alternative names in my opinion...

GrievousOdyssey
29th Jun 2010, 22:19
I agree with your opinion , it's much more honest ...

SlashPrower
29th Jun 2010, 22:20
^Except when he's Deadpool.

Um, I would talk about how in Shadow Hearts: From The New World, the good ending required way too much work to get (all statues leveled completely, you have to unlock Tirawa and level up her statues) and how you weren't given any indication that not doing all this would net you a bad ending, but you guys never played Shadow Hearts: From The New World so it doesn't matter.

The stupid walking controls in Heavy Rain. Although I still love that game.

The dialogue in Resident Evil 4 was excrutiatingly bad.

Navi. Just...Navi.

Any time I'm playing Dance Dance Revolution and the song has these weird pauses. I'm good at DDR, but those pauses are guaranteed to throw you way off balance and screw you up when it starts back up again, especially if the pause is short and/or the song is very fast. Also, quick shifts in tempo are terrible. These songs were the worst about it:

This song has pauses that come out of NOWHERE near the end- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJAKEAO70vU

This entire f***ing song is full of tempo shifts- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmLK6ulCAm8

Brackstone17
29th Jun 2010, 22:23
Nolan North was fine as Deadpool because he's supposed to be smug and annoying. Any other time though and it just grates on the nerves.

SlashPrower
29th Jun 2010, 22:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAI5y20X2Gk

Yeah, North's voice fits Deadpool.

GrievousOdyssey
4th Jul 2010, 17:11
Assassin's Creed 2 ~ The game looses all its charm after you finish it fully on first playthrough , the second playthrough just doesn't seem as fun anymore , which is a shame ...
Also , the 'Tombs' section had some poorly placed camera ...

Bioshock 2 ~ The new hacking system is actually quite annoying , it's either too easy to hack them or harder than fighting three Big Daddies at the same time ...

Dead Men ~ No Trophies for the PS3 version ...
Also , a lack of a original piece of music for the end credits ...

Dog Days ~ *rant coming up in September* ...

Drake's Fortune ~ the cover system works for some reason if you stand behind the cover , and not if you're strapped to it , which looks rather cheap in playing on harder difficulties ...

Far Cry 2 ~ guards respawn at checkpoints in less than two minutes after you leave the area , which is annoying when the gun shop is located after the checkpoint and you had to go back to activate a mission ...

God of War I & II ~ the part where you had to 'defend' some puny humans ... it's even more stupid in II because you had to kill the one you were defending anywya , At The Same Spot ...

inFamous ~ Same issue as Assassin's Creed 2 ...

Killzone 2 ~ You can revive your comrades , but they can't do the same to you ...

Lego Batman ~ it annoys me to see that such a violent game doesn't get any hate from the critics , i mean common , you punch someone in the face and his head flies off ! ...

Spider-Man 2 ~ the sound effect was ****e , and Treyarch made this for Lynch's sake ! ...

The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction ~ Hulk is suprisingly weak , it's kind of like [Prototype] i guess , you play as incredibly strong characters , but the threat you're facing is five times stronger than you , which could sometimes make it more frustrating than challenging or even fun for that matter ...

BeardedHoplite
4th Jul 2010, 18:08
Victoria- You guys probably never heard of this game and never will, but the thing that pisses me off is that you have to do a ****-ton of micromanagement. It's the hardest game I've ever played, without a doubt.

GrievousOdyssey
4th Jul 2010, 18:16
Victoria- You guys probably never heard of this game and never will,

HOLY ******* **** ! I was just on the page of Victoria 2 on wikipedia less than a hour ago ! ...

BeardedHoplite
4th Jul 2010, 19:07
HOLY ******* **** ! I was just on the page of Victoria 2 on wikipedia less than a hour ago ! ...

That's funny, but it is a fun game. Only the learning curve is a vertical cliff

YoungZer0
5th Jul 2010, 11:07
The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction ~ Hulk is suprisingly weak , it's kind of like [Prototype] i guess , you play as incredibly strong characters , but the threat you're facing is five times stronger than you , which could sometimes make it more frustrating than challenging or even fun for that matter ...

Depends on the player i guess. I had no problems at all, i felt completely overpowered.

One annoying thing that most new games seem to have is this:

You die, you see the "YOU'RE DEAD" SCREEN and you can't skip it, or go to the pause menu. The game forces you to watch your failure. It's annoying. It costs time. I just want to quit the game, let me quit it, Orrhhhh, **** it, Alt+CTRL+DEL stop process "splintercellconvicition.exe"

purpledanish
5th Jul 2010, 14:12
Majesty 2

I don't know if anyone else has played this game. It's a strategy set in a fantasy setting with a bit of a twist: you don't actually control any units directly. to get things done you lay down flags that represent the type of job you wanted done (ie: explore, protect, destroy). Then you set an amount of gold to give to whoever does the task(more gold=more interested) which is actually kind of cool.
My problem with this game is the amount of gold you need to give out in order for even two of your task doers to do the job done, and they will do ALMOST NOTHING for free.

"plant explore flag right outside of town at start"(100gold)
ranger walks around town ignoring only job that is available
(200g)
ignore
(400g)
ignore
(750g)
(1000g)
does job
that was a level one ranger with one upgraded equipment in a town that is still just a town center and a ranger guild.

I could understand large sums for exploring across the map for an extended period of time or going to fight the very strong bosses in some areas(25000g to destroy the troll that only level ten+ task doers even have a chance against, but I used tat amount so that my task nits would drop everything and go kill it), but a town with no more than three people and a tax collector really need to use that money to create trading posts and blacksmiths so the the units can spend that money and put it back into my town's economy (another cool feature of the game).

BeardedHoplite
5th Jul 2010, 14:52
Majesty 2

That's actually the same company that made Victoria!

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jul 2010, 15:07
I'm sensing a conspiracy ...

GrievousOdyssey
8th Jul 2010, 02:13
Red Dead Redemption ...

I was riding , somewhere , i don't know what the **** that place was called , i didn't cared , i stopped somewhere at the edge of a canyon ... i was gazing upon the landscape , the sun , the clouds , it wasn't that beautiful , it wasn't very convincing looking either , but i liked it , or at least , it seemed like a pleasant view ... changes the pace a bit from all that coyote killing , so i don't know , those bushes are disturbing my view , i should get off my horse , maybe this is just HOLY **** WHAT THE **** I'M ROLLING DOWN THE CANYON AWE ... Crap ! ...

Seriously , i'm heavily disapointed with Redemption , gameplay wise anywya ...
I'm still in the very early storyline as i've spent most of my time roaming around so we'll leave that for now ...
The graphics aren't as impressive as Grand Theft Auto IV was back in 2008 but it's ... ok ...
The sound editing is much better than GTA , but the quality could still be better ...
Anywya , i'm not here to make a review (or so i thought) , just my impression on the free roam gameplay so far , of which i doubt it'll change over the course of the game ...

So ... where do we begin ...

Ah yes , the regenerating health , this actually works well ... though i still prefer a health bar in a open world game , so far the regenerating health seems to go well with the gameplay , so that's a good thing ... but then again that's because the gameplay isn't perfect ...
Now for everything else ...

Death ...
In GTA when you die you get respawned in a hospital , in here , when you die , you respawn at your safe house , but whereas GTA acknowledges all the things you've accomplished before you die (random encounters , items bought , etc) Redemption acts as if nothing happened unless you hit a checkpoint ... which means , if you've found small secret stashes , had a duel , skinned a handful of animals , rescued a few people in some random events and so on and then Die ... the game will act as if none of the above happened , unless you hit a checkpoint , a checkpoint that only comes when you accomplish 'real' activites such as optional side quests like bounty hunting or looking for hidden treasures and of course the storyline missions ... this Annoys me alot , because i thought i could immerse myself in this huge world , do everything i want , and if i die i get to continue ... i didn't expected that when i die the game will treat as if nothing happened and i'll have to start it all again ! why ! ...

Now you're saying , but since when is this suppose to be like GTA anywya ? ...
Well , the vigilante system has something to do with it ...
See you can shoot at people , which'll make lawmen unhappy , and they'll try to track you down , which means kill you ... When they Do kill you , you die , of course , but instead of respawning you back at the safe house and act as if this whole fight between you and the lawmen never happened ... the game actually acknowledges the fact that It did Happened ...
Yes , when you get shot by the lawmen , when you die , you Don't Die ! you actually get taken to the local sheriff's jail , and you stay there for a few days before they throw you off the street taking away your money ...

What ? ...
In GTA , it doesn't matter whether you got Wasted or Busted , the game won't act as if the Free roaming activities you accomplished never happened , in Redemption , it ignores everything you did if you die , but not when you get shot by the lawmen ... Why ? ... why one and not the other ? ... Just , WHY ? ...

I don't want to return to my safe house every five minutes , i want to explore this world freely , knowing that if i die i can always return and continue from that last spot i died , and not restart my whole damn journey ! ...

So why do i keep dying ? well at first it's because of the water , indeed i forget it was mentionned in the reviews that you couldn't swim ... then it's the high places ... when you're on a horse there seem to be some 'minor' invisible wall that keeps John from faling off a cliff with his horse , ok , but once you're on foot it's RAGDOLL TIME ...
And if it's not the cliffs , then it's the local wildlife or specifically , the gunplay ...

Just why in hell can't i shoot without aiming ? ...
It's ridiculous how you absolutely have to aim first before you can pull the trigger , no wonder it's got the Dead Eye bullet time system , without it it's a absolute pain shooting at coyottes ... i mean common , a gunsliger who can't shoot from his hip ? that ******* cougar would have been dead meat if the game had let me shoot it my way , aiming first slows down your camera control , and for fast moving targets it's just useless ... Unless you're sitting off a huge distance away , but then that's not fair either picking off targets at a distance they can't reach ...

Seriously , a third person game where you can't shoot without aiming first , and it's not like this game had 100% Free-Aim ... then you realize that GUN had that , and it was five bloody years ago ! ...

And last but not least , the camera ... it's too far away , i like broad open views , but sometimes i would also love to get a closer look on things , in GTA we had at least three camera distance angle to choose from , in here , none ... it doesn't help that the only way to zoom in is to draw your gun first , i remember at the very begining of the game i wanted to have a closer look on some townspeople doing their things , i then found myself drawing my revolver and aiming directly at the poor bastard and they all start screaming and run away , i switched to my fists but now instead of zooming in John Marston is doing a defensive stance , shame ...

Also , fullscreen ? i mean the cutscenes , i miss the black bars on top and bottom of the screen , and isn't this suppose to be a western ? i know it's about the end of an age but do they really have to take it this far as to remove the black bars making it look like it's some old HBO movie ? (i did noticed that the transition from the end of a cutscene to gameplay is now without a single loading screen , which might explain why there was no black bars , to keep things fluid ... but then again , couldn't they just make the entire game , cutscene and gameplay , with black bars ?) ...

There's also something that i'm beginning to feel about this game (and i truly hope this is just a first impression thing) ... this game seems like one of those that tries to do Alot of things without actually making any of them perfect , a jack of all trades if you will ...
Things just seems ... weak , not mature enough ... besides the rambling i've made above , it's the entire game ... i believe it lacks some sort of Immersion to it , something that Grand Theft Auto IV , Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 had , and yes , even GTA IV where you didn't had much to do , it still felt like you were running around in a living city , Redemption has a lot of things to do yet none of them seems very whorthwhile , and i seriously hope i'll change my mind on this as i get deeper into the game , but right now ... because mainly of that poor death system and that Very flawed shooting mechanic , i think i might only stick to the storyline missions for now , which is a shame , because i wanted to loose myself for a full week into this world , but now i see that this still isn't the proper 'western' game i was hoping for ... the masterpiece will have to wait a few more years then ...

No doubt the storyline will be grand , but this is not going to be in my list of best games of this year ...

At least not in the top three or top five anywya ...

YoungZer0
8th Jul 2010, 15:20
You can't be serious about FarCry 2.

GrievousOdyssey
8th Jul 2010, 15:45
Far Cry 2 was one of the most immersive games i've played , and it's also one of the rare games where everytime i die , i know it's by my fault , and not of the game's poor design ...

As i said earlier , the thing that annoys me is the fact that guards respawn too easily and quickly , other than that , it's a very deep journey ...

Note however that it is also a game that i can only play once (from begining to end) every seven months , if i start a new game in less than seven months , i'll want to throw the controller off the room instead of making any long drive again , seven months later i'm in the mood to do it again ...

Brackstone17
8th Jul 2010, 15:56
Note however that it is also a game that i can only play once (from begining to end) every seven months , if i start a new game in less than seven months , i'll want to throw the controller off the room instead of making any long drive again , seven months later i'm in the mood to do it again ...

My feelings exactly. I've played through it twice already (in completely different ways), but I'm not going to want to start it again until later this year.

UhUh
8th Jul 2010, 15:58
I actually loved the driving in FC2, it's smooth and easy, too bad that the map isn't that open to make it wortwhile; in particular since there's so many enemies at every corner, thou I've to say that rushing through a camp with a jeep and being fallowed is fun.

GrievousOdyssey
8th Jul 2010, 16:03
Kind of think of it , it's strange that Far Cry 2 didn't had any on-rail missions where you get to ride shotguns for a change ...

Brackstone17
8th Jul 2010, 16:20
Grievous, what is your opinion on Red Dead now that Jack Swift is going to be added as a playable character along with other Revolver characters?

GrievousOdyssey
14th Jul 2010, 00:41
You seriously think i'm going to buy DLCs ? FOR MULTIPLAYER THAT I NEVER PLAY ?!! It's even a bigger insult than killing off Jack Swift , now they're making him the subject of group teabaggin ! ...

Anywya back on topic ...

Red Dead Redemption ...

It's unfortunate that this is a game that you would like to complete it 'fully' only once ...

GrievousOdyssey
14th Jul 2010, 07:29
*Incomming Grievous Stampede !* ...

Red Dead Redemption ... the (failed ?) mixture of Story and Gameplay ...

I found the story of the game to be ... Raw , not fluid and subtle enough ...
The themes of the game are constantly being shoven into your face , whether it's about the invasion of civilisation , the futile pursuit of the american dream , the inability to let go of the past , the meaningless of war , everything , every dialogue between characters as they ride together towards their destination is always about hammering on a theme a bit more , consider each of the game's theme to be a nail and the game is a coffin ...

And it's a pretty boring coffin when you think about it , because it goes saying a lot of bad things about the goverment , on how the agents work , on how they are , litteraly , Bad Guys , and all while the game does nothing to enhance the fact that the protagonnist himself is not so much of a saint , they just keep with the idea that he is part of the last of his kind , the dying breed that is the old west , also he is a guy that will take no **** from nobody and is a overall saint compared to the evil people all around him ...
This wasn't suppose to be the point of the story , yet from the way they tell it , John is pretty much portrayed like a american hero , a man with a dark past and will do anything to save his family , and with the inhumanity all around him , John stands tall and fights ! ... i doubt this is what Rockstar had intended to show , but the result is there , and i see it as some sort a missed opportunity to deliver the story of the decade ...

That said , it's still one of the best writen / told stories i've seen in a form of a 'video game' , and yes , i still do not understand how people were able to call Grand Theft Auto IV's 'gritty and mature' story to be the best of the best , and let alone not give similar credits to Redemption , who deserved these praises A Lot More (of course i would then still argue that the best of the best should still be for Dead Men or The Lost and Damned , but that's another story / rambling) ...

The problem which leads to another of my disapointement is that Redemption is in fact more of a interactive film than a game with a compelling story ... For example , Dead Men tells a story With and Through the gameplay , it's a continous flow between these two factors (story and gameplay) from beginning to end with neither really taking the uper hand , everything is balanced , and The Lost and Damned does it a bit similarly , albeit less 'controlled' if you will ...
Redemption however reminds me of The Ballad of Gay Tony , which was a game that was filled with some of the most boring missions i've seen in any Grand Theft Autos , all there for the sake of the storyline , meaning that they would waste missions in order to just connect the dots between the plot (this is made even worst when the plot itself was useless and boring , and can also be seen as a justification for missions , which in turn are boring as well , anywya , back on Redemption) , this doesn't sound that bad , does it ? well it is if you plan on replaying said game twice , because you would then realize something like "Oh i remember this mission , this is the one where i had to run all over town hoping to grab a snapshot proving that Gordon is Dog Man , and it was intense , because at first i didn't know what was going on , but now that i know , the whole suspense is gone , and ... i have to run all over town Again ?!" ...

See , most if not all of the missions in Redemption starts out with you and another NPC riding across the country , allwhile listening to their conversations , not only is their dialogue just a constant reminder on how "the whole world is turning to ****" but these dialogues are in fact there to mask the fact that you'll be spending more time travelling than doing any actual fighting ...
Does this mean that i hate 'travelling' in games ? hell no , i love them , i loved Far Cry 2 afterall , and i rarely if ever uses fast travels , no , the thing is that the missions are split in two , a huge part is where the characters talk to each other , and the small part is where you get to 'do something' , which means that Story and Gameplay are seperated , and that they would sacrifice a Huge Chunk of its Gameplay in order to tell its Story ...
You could then argue that GTA IV also had more driving than shooting , difference is that You do the driving in Liberty City , in Redemption sure you control your horses ... but you have to Follow the NPC ... which means you can't go to the destination yourself (for the most part) , you have to follow your companion from point A to point B , and since the NPCs are always scripted , you're bound to realize that "they could have just made these into huge ass cutscenes instead of making me believe i was playing a game" , plus i believe that unlike GTA IV and its episodes , they didn't wrote Two Sets of dialogues for each missions , giving even less reasons to replay it that much often ...

So , the story end up being disapointing (maybe if i wasn't waiting for a masterpiece i might have been less disapointed , just maybe) , the gameplay and story are not well balanced at all , but i said this topic was to list the annoying things you see in the games that you like ... and yes , i did enjoyed Redemption , i sure as hell did , what annoys me is that this still isn't that impeccable western video game i wish to see , sure i've also got a few things to say about the gameplay itself , mainly about how Easy the game was (hell i had to tell myself to stop using the Dead-Eye bullet time , otherwise i was untouchable from death) but that doesn't really matter , it was the crude and in-your-face style they used to tell the story that upsetted me the most ...

However if there was one bit of praise i could give to this whole mixture of storyline and gameplay philosophy it would be ...
The last act of the game , specifically , the Boldness it took from the developers to make the last nine missions into 'boring' and actionless , before igniting the fuse of course for that violent finale ... i don't know , it just felt ... well made ...

Oh well now if we're going to talk about spoilers here's a bit more then ...

To be fair , John's death was really unsurprising , even if i didn't had his fate spoiled to me a month ago it was still fairly obvious throughout the game that he was going to die and that Edgar will be there to see it ...
I'm thinking in particularly the scene where Ross personally 'gives' John a pistol , it was symbolic enough , that or my superstitions kicked into my favor ...

Speaking of Edgar , now THAT is a good antagonnist , simple really , he's charming ! the only reason we might hate him is because he is not on our side , love those kind of antagonnists ...
This reminds me of another point concerning the characters in this game , if they're not boring , they simply don't have enough 'showtimes' , only appearing in four or five missions before disapearing and leaving us with some more boring characters ... and common , Bill Williamson appearing in only three cutscenes ? ...

But i guess we can't have things my way , otherwise John would have been following Deeke's advice and went after Bonnie's rear and live that rancher life he wanted instead of being stuck with his 'wife' and 'boy' and something called 'Uncle' ... poor Bonnie ...

Hell , if things went my way , Jack Swift would have married that cowgirl , and everything would have been alright ! ...
Yes , maybe things cannot be alright , maybe ... but what is the point ? what is the point of these sad tales of broken lives if it does nothing in return , i mean it constantly shows us drama , but it offers no solution , no realistic answers , Outlaws to the End says the tagline of Redemption , and indeed , as John's sacrifice was in vain , his son would become the same man that he is , so ... what is the cure to all ailments ? ...

Having meetings with the mysterious man ? ...

JackGordon
14th Jul 2010, 07:50
*Incomming Grievous Stampede !* ...
*crawls back into attic, nails windows shut* Is it over...?

GrievousOdyssey
14th Jul 2010, 08:32
Actually i forgot to say something and thought i should edit my post ...

But then nah , i think ol' Brackstone has already got enough to handle with , hope he collected himself enough energy this past week to withstand my wallotext , because he sure as **** will need it ...

UhUh
14th Jul 2010, 10:23
I don't know why you even bother, Rockstar makes the same game over and over again (yeah, the lost too).

GrievousOdyssey
14th Jul 2010, 10:25
All our hopes rests on Agent and L.A. Noire then ! ...

And Max Payne 3 if we're really that desperate ...

JackGordon
14th Jul 2010, 11:40
I want Bully 2 :(

Bevacur
14th Jul 2010, 14:17

This!! It reminds of school! Just not as violent and not a fight every 5 minutes.

Brackstone17
14th Jul 2010, 14:23
Okay, Grievous, time for my response based on my not so good speed reading skills.

True, most of the missions started with you travelling about the desert until you got where you wanted to be, but I liked it because it gave me the opportunity to listen to some conversation, get to know the characters and most importantly, hold down the A button and just look at the wilderness while my horse had cruise control on. It's true that there wasn't much interaction between story and gameplay other than conversations though.

On to plot.

I agree that the last part of the game was very well made. Exceptionally so, I'd say. I agree that Johns death was foreshadowed very often, but that works. The death of the protagonist doesn't always have to be a huge plot twist.

Edgar Ross was easily an awesome villain. Everything about that character was crafted so well. It makes me sad that people think good villains are Sephiroth and Ganondorf and all them. This is how you make a villain.

Bill Williamson being underused as a character is the biggest fault if you ask me. We really should have seen more of him, maybe in Mexico. Not to mention his death was anticlimactic as hell. You see him in a cutscene for 5 seconds, then you catch up to him and shoot him. That's it. Javier Escuella was better done than Bill and he was only in one scene.

I really hated the way they gave out the weapons. Most of the time, except for in New Austin, 3 new weapons would be unlocked at the exact same time for the exact same spot, and each one would be better than the last. It made me question why they have that many guns if you barely ever use even half of them.

Okay. I'm done. I can understand why you were disappointed, but I found the game to be one of the best yet.

ohitspatty
14th Jul 2010, 17:11
L.A. Noire looks like it will be a free-roaming game set in LA during the '40s and '50s...

GrievousOdyssey
14th Jul 2010, 20:19

This!! It reminds of school! Just not as violent and not a fight every 5 minutes.

I'm not quite sure we'll see a sequel to Canis Canem Edit / Bully unless they change the setting altogether , because the point of the game was to be a satire and or critique against the miserable education some children had , and then instead of blaming the society that made children into , well , unsympathetic bullies , most people turn their hatred towards other things ... such as video games ...
Making a sequel to that will only repeat the whole process , setting the game in university wouldn't be all that different , and though it may sound prepostorus , Rockstar actually wants to do something 'different' everytime ... story wise at least ...

If the setting was a corporate enterprise however and you play as some kind of a underpaid intern who punches his way to the top ... yeah that could work ...

Okay, Grievous, time for my response based on my not so good speed reading skills.

True, most of the missions started with you travelling about the desert until you got where you wanted to be, but I liked it because it gave me the opportunity to listen to some conversation, get to know the characters and most importantly, hold down the A button and just look at the wilderness while my horse had cruise control on. It's true that there wasn't much interaction between story and gameplay other than conversations though.

On to plot.

I agree that the last part of the game was very well made. Exceptionally so, I'd say. I agree that Johns death was foreshadowed very often, but that works. The death of the protagonist doesn't always have to be a huge plot twist.

Edgar Ross was easily an awesome villain. Everything about that character was crafted so well. It makes me sad that people think good villains are Sephiroth and Ganondorf and all them. This is how you make a villain.

Bill Williamson being underused as a character is the biggest fault if you ask me. We really should have seen more of him, maybe in Mexico. Not to mention his death was anticlimactic as hell. You see him in a cutscene for 5 seconds, then you catch up to him and shoot him. That's it. Javier Escuella was better done than Bill and he was only in one scene.

I really hated the way they gave out the weapons. Most of the time, except for in New Austin, 3 new weapons would be unlocked at the exact same time for the exact same spot, and each one would be better than the last. It made me question why they have that many guns if you barely ever use even half of them.

Okay. I'm done. I can understand why you were disappointed, but I found the game to be one of the best yet.

Agreed agreed agreed ...
Oh and by the way i was a bit hasty when i said i wouldn't put it in my top five of this year ... i'm reserving it of top three or four , depends of course on how well the other games will show up to be ...

But still , let's have one extra bit of spoiler ...
Frankly i wasn't really a fan of Jack Marston putting eight bullets into Edgar Ross's cute lil head , especially because this means that John's sacrifice could very well be in vain (as he wanted to his family to live a 'normal' life) ...
However , as i think about it , Jack's revenge was not part of the 'main mission' , which should mean that his encounter with Ross was optional , which is yet again another very bold move from the developers ...

But then again , you can't see the end credits without killing the old man ...
I guess we all have to make compromises then ...

L.A. Noire looks like it will be a free-roaming game set in LA during the '40s and '50s...

We're not exactly sure if it's going to really be a sandbox game or not , one thing's for sure it won't be a action based game like Mafia II (also set in that same good old days) ...

Then again Rockstar is just publishing L.A. Noire , they aren't exactly at the helm of the project , but Remedy made Max Payne 2 once , so who knows , maybe a external studio is key ...

Agent is said to be set in the seventies however , which is pretty New for video game world ...

ohitspatty
14th Jul 2010, 22:47
Yeah, honestly I'm getting kinda tired of sandbox games. I mean they are fine and a lot of fun but it seems that with each year there are more and more free roaming games. That's why I want L.A Noire to try something different...

But than again, maybe it's just me.

GrievousOdyssey
14th Jul 2010, 23:35
The two of the last sandbox games i played were Assassin's Creed 2 and Red Dead Redemption , and both share similarity in that , asside being sandbox games (and really easy too) , they're not the kind were you would want to fully invest your energy and enjoyment more than once , or perhaps only once every seven months like Far Cry 2 ...
I don't know why , maybe it's because they feel , ironically , 'too linear' , or perhaps its just always the same thing , it's a bunch of action set pieces that just happen to take place in a huge world , what makes them sandbox games is the fact that you have to Travel between point A and B ... i think it has something to do with how they don't take advantage of the open world aspect ...

Good thing i 100% Redemption on my first run , got two gold throphies in a row , Marvelous ...

ohitspatty
15th Jul 2010, 00:14
That's neat but I actually think that most sandbox games don't offer enough of things to do. I also played Assassin's Creed 2 (100% it and got all achievements) but once I was done with it, I realized that I won't play it anymore. There was just nothing else to do. So I gave to to a friend.

Also GTA IV was a very good game until the point that I beat the storyline and realized there wasn't whole lot left to do. Sure you can go around on a killing spree or try different glitches, drive and crash cars, run away from Police but I felt like it wasn't enough. I think there should have been more things to buy and ability to sell things as well. Maybe a black-market where you can rob a gun store and later sell the stuff on black market. Or how about a game where you can pull off a proper bank heist?

Godfather and the sequel had the bank robbery but it wasn't enjoyable. I wish there was an option to hold up a bank and release/kill hostages upon demand. I guess what I'm asking for is like an ultimate crime game...I guess that's too much to ask for lol

I really enjoyed Fallout 3. That's a sandbox game too, right? I like how there is so much to do! I played for so many hours and I still haven't done everything.

GrievousOdyssey
15th Jul 2010, 00:51
Agreed ...

And yeah Fallout 3 is good example on what sandbox games should be , the amount of content it has is marvelous ...

At one point or another all games will have a end , but like you i'm waiting that ultimate crime game , and i'm also hoping it will be a mutual collaboration between Rockstar and IO Interactive ... Now THAT is asking too much ...

ohitspatty
15th Jul 2010, 01:27
Yeah, that would be too good for our own good.

Oh well, I'll get my New Vegas to keep me going on the free roaming juice for a little while and Dog Days for my action crime in-take. But maybe one day we shall see the ultimate crime video game.

GrievousOdyssey
15th Jul 2010, 01:38
Sounds like we won't see it before fifty years , or like just a few days before we can't take a **** on our own , christ ...

Plus the world comes to an end at 2012 , so this masterpiece of a game better come out next year , or something ...

ohitspatty
15th Jul 2010, 05:18
Please don't believe in this 2012 horse poop.
After all, the road construction on local highway won't be done until 2014 since most illegal immigrants ran back home in fear of Arizona.

But if it does end in 2012, at least I won't have to pay student loans...

GrievousOdyssey
15th Jul 2010, 06:03
Nah man , i just believe in Ubisoft Montreal , and Assassin's Creed is their bible , and it tells the truth yo ! ...

BeardedHoplite
15th Jul 2010, 06:19
Nah man , i just believe in Ubisoft Montreal , and Assassin's Creed is their bible , and it tells the truth yo ! ...

That means the sun is our enemy and we must blow him up.

GrievousOdyssey
15th Jul 2010, 06:27
Staff Sergeant Major , what's the status on our Emperial Rocket of Doom ? ...

GrievousOdyssey
15th Jul 2010, 08:20

Well holy **** , if the composer says they're doing it , then they're ******* doing it ...

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2009/11/10/tgl-exclusive-interview-reveals-possible-bully-sequel/

JackGordon
15th Jul 2010, 09:02
O happy day!

Bevacur
15th Jul 2010, 14:10
College years...sounds awesome.

JackGordon
15th Jul 2010, 14:24
Aw... Not College... :(

GrievousOdyssey
15th Jul 2010, 14:32
I'm sensing a hidden code in the game that allows players to rape women in the bathrooms and killing students with a shotgun and dragging their bodies to the yard so that everyone can see ...

Let's feed the controversy people ! ...

GrievousOdyssey
28th Jul 2010, 08:04
Transformers War for Cybertron ...

When will they understand that the 'cool' thing about robots fighting each other is that It's Robots Fighting Each Other By Beating The Crap Out Of Each Other IN MELEE COMBATS ...

Give them clubs , axes , masses , gauntlets ! enough of these sniper rifles , missile launchers , it's ridiculous , we want to throw robots across the scenery , making free falls beatdown crashing all the way on the side of a skyscraper , quick time events to finish up the fight ! ...

We don't get that many decent Transformer games to begin with , but enough of these shoot'em ups , bring back some good old fashioned beat'em ups ! ...

Doesn't sound much of a difference on paper , but it is ! ...

TheMoD
28th Jul 2010, 10:41
In Silent Hill 4: the ghosts, the limited inventory
Brutal Legend: Stage battles, it would have been an awesome hacknslash game. but the stage battles, god they were awful, the controls were so clunky and it just wasn't any fun

GrievousOdyssey
28th Jul 2010, 10:47
Brutal Legend: Stage battles

Lol that's like more than half of the game , was there anything worth liking in Brutal Legends ? ...

Cyniad
28th Jul 2010, 11:10
Far Cry 2.
Infinite spawn of those stupid guys with BAD AI. Pretty annoying.
I gave up. I've never finished Far Cry 2 for this reason, and others. Like the plot.

TheMoD
28th Jul 2010, 12:59
Lol that's like more than half of the game , was there anything worth liking in Brutal Legends ? ...

yea the overall tim schaefer style and atmosphere, with awesome characters, and especially really great animations and environments, it's kinda like psychonauts, only less polished and not as much fun to play, but now that you mention it I think I'd label brutal legend more as a game that I didn't really like because of all its drawbacks :/

BeardedHoplite
28th Jul 2010, 14:30
Gears of War: Characters controlling like tanks and charging with the chainsaw only to get hit by a pebble and start hopping back.

No One Lives Forever: Goddamn dum-dums, they kill sooo fast

Rainbow Six Vegas 2: All the guns feel the same and all fun-ness dies when the difficulty is on hard.

GTA IV: Car theft missions not being specific enough (this truck is somewhere around the biggest city).

GrievousOdyssey
29th Jul 2010, 02:52
GTA IV: Car theft missions not being specific enough (this truck is somewhere around the biggest city).

Did they say it's located in a specific avenue ? and then you had to scout hunt yourself looking at the picture and try to pinpoint the geography yourself ... t'was fun ...

I don't know , all i remember is getting the trophies ...

GrievousOdyssey
29th Jul 2010, 18:46
Batman Arkham Asylum ...

Where do we begin ...

The Story ...
Right , it was boring , Batman plows through the asylum like a tank , room after room , switching his x-ray google , up until everybody is beaten , and ...
Look i know the Joker intentionnaly wants to put Batman into a Hard day's night , but this game just lacks a 'story' , what was it in the end ? Batsy stops the Joker from completing his plan , once again , this is typical of any Batman stories so how is that a bad thing ? Well , because it's just another typical day for Batman ! It lacks something that makes it stand out from the other Batman stories ...
Was it not memorable then ? Well there were a couple of memorable moments , true , but overall , the story could have been way better developed ...

Perhaps i was really expecting too much , perhaps i was expecting for a character study on Batman , and ... Oh lol , Batman , i'm really not exaggerating when i compare him to a tank , this guy just Won't Stop ...
I'm not saying he should give up , but his spirit and will to win the night is just plain invincible , and for christ sake this guy just Never Breathes ! literally ! it's ridiculous ...
And "I eat punks like these for breakfast" , dude ! the Asylum is not threatening at all when the lead character himself is not impressed , not one bit , by the giant titans with spikes on their shoulders ... Arkham just looks like a huge theme park ride you'll see in Disneyland , is that a bad thing ? of course not , but when the atmosphere of the game Begs to give a eerie feeling , whether with the interview tapes or spirit of Arkham's grim memoirs , you can't really take it seriously , the atmosphere it wanted to present and the location itself just don't match ...

And one more thing about Batman , Kevin Conroy was under-used , he rarely says anything interesting , his dialogs is just paper thing compare to those given to Mark Hammil ...
There was just one moment where i really liked , it's in the beginning , after Oracle learns Gordon (not Dog Man) has been captured , Batman would then say "I won't let him(the Joker) Win" , that was great ... the rest of the game he just keeps repeating "I'm on my way" ...

And what the **** was with that beard that grew over one night ? ...

Graphic wise and Sound design ...
Nothing to rant about ...
Except that the music could have been better , or more engaging instead of just being an 'ambient' soundtracks ...
And i'm not quite a fan of the bodies that 'pops' up as they fall to the ground , something really spooky about them ragdolls , more than the entire art direction , and that's saying something ...

And now the structure of the game ...
The hunting for trophies (not real Dring!Trophies , which is just misleading , and a insult to us all) was fun , i did them along the story , got em all before the end , though i still don't understand ... why ... and more precisely , How ? how did the Riddler hid all these stuff behind walls and whatnot ? you know i would have prefered if after collecting all the trophies Batman finds out it was all a hallucination in his head , implanted by some mister X , who is in fact the game's lead programmer , the whole point of the Riddler challenge was just to make the player explore the asylum in every imaginable way , giving us the illusion that it is a huge world with lots of stuff to do while in fact ... this is perhaps one of the most Empty open world games i've seen ...
Granted it's not an exact open world game ... but it is ! *Grievous logic* ...

Sure , it's not suppose to be place that looks 'lively' , but the asylum just looks devoided of any substantial thing , it looks as if it only exists to serve the gamer , and not a place of its own ... so to say ...

So there it is , Arkham Asylum , overrated ...
It's just that asside from the graphics , nothing that Arkham Asylum offers has been done better before ...
The story wasn't as engaging or dark as Batman Vengeance ...
The combat was fun , but i still prefer the combo system in Rise of Sin Tzu ...
Batman himself just wasn't as badass as Lego's Batman ...
The art direction in Batman Begins worked better ...
And common , calling Arkham the best Batman game of all time is just a plain insulting to Lego Batman ...
So while the overall experience is still quite enjoyable ... calling it the best Batman game ? giving it nine out of tens ? ...
*makes this look http://a.images.blip.tv/NostalgiaCritic-ThemeLyricsBatmanTheAnimatedSeries963.jpg*

JackGordon
29th Jul 2010, 19:46
calling Arkham the best Batman game of all time is just a plain insulting to Lego Batman ...
And Batman Returns (SNES). And Batman (MD/GEN).

UhUh
29th Jul 2010, 19:54
You know, I expected more...as Mr. J would say "I thought you'd lasted longer"; this all sound just an excuse to whine about a good game just becouse it's good :rolleyes:
Anyway let me deconstruct...

Batman Arkham Asylum ...

Where do we begin ...

The Story ...
Right , it was boring , Batman plows through the asylum like a tank , room after room , switching his x-ray google , up until everybody is beaten , and ...
Look i know the Joker intentionnaly wants to put Batman into a Hard day's night , but this game just lacks a 'story' , what was it in the end ? Batsy stops the Joker from completing his plan , once again , this is typical of any Batman stories so how is that a bad thing ? Well , because it's just another typical day for Batman ! It lacks something that makes it stand out from the other Batman stories ...
Was it not memorable then ? Well there were a couple of memorable moments , true , but overall , the story could have been way better developed ...

Yes, the plot itself is basic, but that wasn't the point to begin with. As you say the game puts you in a "typical" day for B-man, and how's that a bad thing? it puts you in a world that almost everybody is familiar with, and makes it alive, all the characters have depth, and the supplementary records add a background to all of them. Of all the sandbox games out there, AA stands tall immersing you in a small, but living world; and unlike the gta series, the events flows into eachother flawlessly pushing allways foward and making its impact in the asylum.

Perhaps i was really expecting too much , perhaps i was expecting for a character study on Batman , and ... Oh lol , Batman , i'm really not exaggerating when i compare him to a tank , this guy just Won't Stop ...
I'm not saying he should give up , but his spirit and will to win the night is just plain invincible , and for christ sake this guy just Never Breathes ! literally ! it's ridiculous ...

That's more to do with the character itself, but whenever a media doesn't follow the character traits it get bashed becouse of that, now you tell me it's not good enough becouse it follows it too strictly?

And "I eat punks like these for breakfast" , dude ! the Asylum is not threatening at all when the lead character himself is not impressed , not one bit , by the giant titans with spikes on their shoulders ... Arkham just looks like a huge theme park ride you'll see in Disneyland , is that a bad thing ? of course not , but when the atmosphere of the game Begs to give a eerie feeling , whether with the interview tapes or spirit of Arkham's grim memoirs , you can't really take it seriously , the atmosphere it wanted to present and the location itself just don't match ...

That's a tipical mistake, bats is scary to others, if you use batman you don't have to feel that way, and the mechanics reinforce this. The game empowers you, the setting is dark and that's the hunting ground for batman.

And one more thing about Batman , Kevin Conroy was under-used , he rarely says anything interesting , his dialogs is just paper thing compare to those given to Mark Hammil ...
There was just one moment where i really liked , it's in the beginning , after Oracle learns Gordon (not Dog Man) has been captured , Batman would then say "I won't let him(the Joker) Win" , that was great ... the rest of the game he just keeps repeating "I'm on my way" ...

Come on now! b-man isn't famous for beign talkative is he? and I loved how the passing of time is marked on the character, with the costume that has every scratch and yes, a day old beard! Nothing wrong with that!

Graphic wise and Sound design ...
Nothing to rant about ...
Except that the music could have been better , or more engaging instead of just being an 'ambient' soundtracks ...

ehm...dog days...ehm

And i'm not quite a fan of the bodies that 'pops' up as they fall to the ground , something really spooky about them ragdolls , more than the entire art direction , and that's saying something ...

This, I don't get it :confused:

And now the structure of the game ...
The hunting for trophies (not real Dring!Trophies , which is just misleading , and a insult to us all) was fun , i did them along the story , got em all before the end , though i still don't understand ... why ... and more precisely , How ? how did the Riddler hid all these stuff behind walls and whatnot ? you know i would have prefered if after collecting all the trophies Batman finds out it was all a hallucination in his head , implanted by some mister X , who is in fact the game's lead programmer , the whole point of the Riddler challenge was just to make the player explore the asylum in every imaginable way , giving us the illusion that it is a huge world with lots of stuff to do while in fact ... this is perhaps one of the most Empty open world games i've seen ...
Granted it's not an exact open world game ... but it is ! *Grievous logic* ...

Sure , it's not suppose to be place that looks 'lively' , but the asylum just looks devoided of any substantial thing , it looks as if it only exists to serve the gamer , and not a place of its own ... so to say ...

W-What? empty? it's one of the most well crafted open world(yeah I agree with the definition) ever! Unlike others, beign smaller makes it more detailed, every section is incredibly well done, and how alive it is! It's not just a background for the action, as the story goes, we see all the impacts of the events on the places that we have become familiar with. Every place is full of little details that are amazing to behold, and the overall art direction is great, mixing old and new with confidence, as you explore you can see how the place had a story just by looking at the architecture.

So there it is , Arkham Asylum , overrated ...
It's just that asside from the graphics , nothing that Arkham Asylum offers has been done better before ...
The story wasn't as engaging or dark as Batman Vengeance ...
The combat was fun , but i still prefer the combo system in Rise of Sin Tzu ...
Batman himself just wasn't as badass as Lego's Batman ...
The art direction in Batman Begins worked better ...
And common , calling Arkham the best Batman game of all time is just a plain insulting to Lego Batman ...
So while the overall experience is still quite enjoyable ... calling it the best Batman game ? giving it nine out of tens ? ...

Now you're beign ridiculous, AA it's not just the batman game, it's also one of the best game of this generation.

SlashPrower
29th Jul 2010, 20:03
Arkham Asylum was the best Batman game, and there's no way Grievous can talk me out of it because I won't read any post that's over two medium-sized paragraphs.

ohitspatty
29th Jul 2010, 20:11
I agree with others. Arkham Asylum is almost fantastic. Defiently 9/10. The only nitpicking I had were the lame boss battles...besides that it was excellent.

I really hope Arkham Asylum 2 will just as good....after all it has my favorite villain in it.

Brackstone17
29th Jul 2010, 20:17

All great videogame detectives are required to grow a beard during the span of their game. That's why there aren't many great videogame detectives.

Anyway, I actually haven't fully played Arkham Asylum yet, but I will instantly buy the sequel if they get Richard Moll back for Two-Face.

SlashPrower
29th Jul 2010, 20:27
All great videogame detectives are required to grow a beard during the span of their game.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1306/1379129-crazyyork_large.jpg

Brackstone17
29th Jul 2010, 20:52
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1306/1379129-crazyyork_large.jpg
Yeah, the list of great videogame detectives is basically him and Batman. No one else really qualifies.

UhUh
29th Jul 2010, 21:06
Arkham Asylum was the best Batman game, and there's no way Grievous can talk me out of it because I won't read any post that's over two medium-sized paragraphs.

Ehy, how do you expect us to read your fan fiction then?:D

GrievousOdyssey
29th Jul 2010, 21:28
You know, I expected more...as Mr. J would say "I thought you'd lasted longer"; this all sound just an excuse to whine about a good game just becouse it's good :rolleyes:
Anyway let me deconstruct...

RED ALERT RED ALERT , All drones to battle stations ! Gunship approaching ! Identifying ... Scanning ... it's a Logical-Argument Flag , Abandon All Hopes ! ...

Yes, the plot itself is basic, but that wasn't the point to begin with. As you say the game puts you in a "typical" day for B-man, and how's that a bad thing? it puts you in a world that almost everybody is familiar with, and makes it alive, all the characters have depth, and the supplementary records add a background to all of them. Of all the sandbox games out there, AA stands tall immersing you in a small, but living world; and unlike the gta series, the events flows into eachother flawlessly pushing allways foward and making its impact in the asylum.

Ah yes , the interview tapes ! disapointing , or rather , they're all the same ...
Tape One and Two are the 'cool' ones , scary , where the villains make their nice introductions ...
Tape Three is the 'we heard it before one' ...
Tape Four , depending on the villain , either becomes boring , or is starting to fit into the game's plot ...
And Tape Five is generally inconclusive ...
This procedure just went for all the villains , and i found out it to be a pity that it only includes patient interview for the characters present in-game , anywya ...

As for the plot being basic ... well ... at least the other Batman games had the courtesy of sending you all over Gotham to solve the big bad's plan , it had some 'epicness' in it , while in Arkham ... no , it's not the running back and forth that annoys me , i actually liked that , but it's just that the asylum itself is just a dead playground to me ...
And i think that's where most of our disagreement will come from , Arkham just wasn't a place that i enjoyed , esthetically it just didn't impressed me , this must be the main reason why i'm not giving so much praise for this game ...

No ... it has nothing to do with Me and a Asylum ...

Does it ? ...

That's more to do with the character itself, but whenever a media doesn't follow the character traits it get bashed becouse of that, now you tell me it's not good enough becouse it follows it too strictly?

The Joker basically wants to 'break' Batman , however throughout the game we just see that Batman remains unbreakable ...
Yeah good point , that makes sense ...

But still , Batman never blinks , never flinch , he is just ... Standing there ...

Like on that ugly Box Art ! ...

That's a tipical mistake, bats is scary to others, if you use batman you don't have to feel that way, and the mechanics reinforce this. The game empowers you, the setting is dark and that's the hunting ground for batman.

I just thought it worked better on the much more linear but tight Batman Begins ...

Come on now! b-man isn't famous for beign talkative is he? and I loved how the passing of time is marked on the character, with the costume that has every scratch and yes, a day old beard! Nothing wrong with that!

The changes of the costume was cool , that's true ...

But hey , we're sticking on the negatives here ! ...

ehm...dog days...ehm

I don't understand ... you mean compared to Dog Days ? ...
Hey , you still have no idea what my rant on Dog Days is going to look like , wait for it ...

This, I don't get it :confused:

Right , i wasn't clear on this ...
After you beat the crap out of them goons , ever notice that when their body falls to the ground , it just 'bounces' back up a bit ? ...
It's even more noticable with the last goon in each round , when it goes in slow motion ...

W-What? empty? it's one of the most well crafted open world(yeah I agree with the definition) ever! Unlike others, beign smaller makes it more detailed, every section is incredibly well done, and how alive it is! It's not just a background for the action, as the story goes, we see all the impacts of the events on the places that we have become familiar with. Every place is full of little details that are amazing to behold, and the overall art direction is great, mixing old and new with confidence, as you explore you can see how the place had a story just by looking at the architecture.

Like i said , this is where we just don't get along , the environment just didn't worked for me , any cities in Grand Theft Autos , hell , even Carcer City from Manhunt felt more like a real 'place' than Arkham ...

It also doesn't help that the game Wants you to see everything ...
As everything there is to be seen is demanded in the Riddler's 'challenges' ...

Now you're beign ridiculous, AA it's not just the batman game, it's also one of the best game of this generation.

Know what ? seeing as how we're lacking great games in this generation , i wouldn't doubt Arkham somehow crawls its way up in a top ten list ...

Woman , start not ignoring people when they ask you questions , then i'll listen to what you have to say ...

I agree with others. Arkham Asylum is almost fantastic. Defiently 9/10.

Right , You there ! good sir ! you who i know carries a decent mind within , answer me this ...
Since this game is so bloody brilliant ! Why just a Nine ? ...

Yeah, the list of great videogame detectives is basically him and Batman. No one else really qualifies.

Max Payne is going to go all bullet time on your ass ! ...

That and Nahman Jayden says boo ...

ohitspatty
29th Jul 2010, 23:07
Right , You there ! good sir ! you who i know carries a decent mind within , answer me this ...
Since this game is so bloody brilliant ! Why just a Nine ? ...

It's just a nine because it does have few flaws such as boss battles. From a Batman game I expected more variety of bosses but oh well, sometimes it's too much if you try to ask for everything.

Also personally I found the game the combat system to be too basic.

Still it's a very solid games.

P.S I don't think I ever played a 10/10 game yet...even Metal Gear Solid 3 (which is my favorite game) comes to high 9...

GrievousOdyssey
29th Jul 2010, 23:38
Yeah , not even Dead Men , San Andreas or Grand Theft Auto IV would have me rating a full ten ...

Except Portal ... and Hitman Blood Money ...

Ah well **** it , rate Dead Men a full ten too ...
Aaah but then again no ! they have to pay for not giving me a trophy patch ! No Ten ! ...

SlashPrower
29th Jul 2010, 23:58
Ehy, how do you expect us to read your fan fiction then?:D

Fanfiction =/= forum posting. At least with fanfiction you know that you're going to get more text than in a forum post.

And I'm sure Grievous said something about me earlier, but I'm not going to read it because it's too long.

GrievousOdyssey
30th Jul 2010, 00:01
Yeah ... one line is long , and i mean , too loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong ...

SlashPrower
30th Jul 2010, 00:05
I told you, no posts over 2 paragraphs by you will be read. That post was huge, and since I can't read it of course I can't tell how much you wrote about me.

I mean, come on, Grievous. If I put all your posts in the past month I'd have a 600-page novel. It would be a completely incomprehensible, strange novel, but it'd be better recieved than Twilight.

GrievousOdyssey
30th Jul 2010, 00:09
How the **** am i suppose to respond to people then ? ...

We're in the middle of some conversation , i can't respond with just a yes , no or i agree , disagree ... Because then you'll say i don't explain myself , but if i say something it's going to be too much , Madness ! ...

It's really damned if i talk damned if i don't ...

SlashPrower
30th Jul 2010, 00:20
And you don't even get a trophy for either since there was never a patch.

GrievousOdyssey
30th Jul 2010, 00:29
Awwwwwwwwwwwweeeeee Crap ...

*arm lands on table , accidentally pushing the big red button , alerting Agent Johnson to arm and fire a nuclear bomb that was being painted by Bevacur , meanwhile Oh **** hacked into the command center and added a new target for the bomb , but due to poor calculation it's IO's headquarter that gets destroyed , Dog Days never got released , and Grievous never got to post his big ass rant into this topic , and Slash was happy that there was no wall of text to be seen* ...

*and Kent just doesn't give a **** to what just happened* ...

Brackstone17
30th Jul 2010, 03:17

Max Payne is disqualified on the grounds that he does no real detective work, he just shoots people. Norman Jayden has the potential to be a bad detective depending on how the player plays the game, so he doesn't qualify.

GrievousOdyssey
30th Jul 2010, 03:21
Sam and Max then ...

PirateGuy
30th Jul 2010, 03:28
Big black muscly loud guy that has a very bad case of tourettes and has to drop a F-bomb in every sentence. Also has to carry a big ****-off weapon, talks like a gangster, oh and has no fears at all. *Cough* Cole * Cough* *sneeze* Rico * sneeze*

Can't we have a decent black guy who is maybe a skinny guy for a change who happens to be intelligent but not looking like another black sterotype? *puke* Norbit *puke*

OK maybe these are sterotypes. Annoying element in a game? Russian's always the bad guys, i would not be surprised if they nuked America after all the games US produced involves killing Russians.

Um, maybe Louis from Left 4 Dead? And maybe Coach and Rochelle from L4D2. :rasp:

GrievousOdyssey
30th Jul 2010, 03:44
Meh , Victor Vance and Carl Johnson are still kings ! ...

ohitspatty
30th Jul 2010, 06:21
I don't think there ever be a 10/10 game for me.

Recently played some pretty decent games but nowhere near a full ten.

At least none of the upcoming games look that way...maybe GTA V if it's as fun as LaTD or BoGT combined. But honestly, a 10/10 game would probably be too much for me to handle.

UhUh
30th Jul 2010, 11:16
As for the plot being basic ... well ... at least the other Batman games had the courtesy of sending you all over Gotham to solve the big bad's plan , it had some 'epicness' in it , while in Arkham ... no , it's not the running back and forth that annoys me , i actually liked that , but it's just that the asylum itself is just a dead playground to me ...
And i think that's where most of our disagreement will come from , Arkham just wasn't a place that i enjoyed , esthetically it just didn't impressed me , this must be the main reason why i'm not giving so much praise for this game ...

No ... it has nothing to do with Me and a Asylum ...

Does it ? ...

I understand, but how do you feel about other sandbox games? isn't part of the idea of having an open world the possibility of going around in the same places? Maybe it's becouse of the size, but I think that open spaces are better when in small quantity; like on hitman missions, or in the last express, having a more detailed little space it's more beliavable than a huge city wich limits you to the streets.

Maybe we can derail this thread in a linear vs open, quantity vs quality...can't wait to see the arguments for the lack of variaty on DogDays compared to DeadMen :D

The Joker basically wants to 'break' Batman , however throughout the game we just see that Batman remains unbreakable ...
Yeah good point , that makes sense ...

But still , Batman never blinks , never flinch , he is just ... Standing there ...

Like on that ugly Box Art ! ...

Well you know...it's batman, the villans are always more intresting than him.
Also agree on the Box Art ;)

I just thought it worked better on the much more linear but tight Batman Begins ...

Yeah, the Nolan style is better than the comic's, but this wasn't the issue to begin with, maybe if there was a Batman Year One game...

I don't understand ... you mean compared to Dog Days ? ...
Hey , you still have no idea what my rant on Dog Days is going to look like , wait for it ...

ahah yes, can't wait! :D
Anyway I can't say the music made much of an impression, it just suited the action, but unlike DogDays it doesn't have that stylistic precence; both the songs and the ambient are really good for what I listened, the ambient has that BladeRunner eerie feeling while the songs are so melancholic.

Right , i wasn't clear on this ...
After you beat the crap out of them goons , ever notice that when their body falls to the ground , it just 'bounces' back up a bit ? ...
It's even more noticable with the last goon in each round , when it goes in slow motion ...

Never noticed actually, but, you know, ragdolls are allways quite silly.

Like i said , this is where we just don't get along , the environment just didn't worked for me , any cities in Grand Theft Autos , hell , even Carcer City from Manhunt felt more like a real 'place' than Arkham ...

It also doesn't help that the game Wants you to see everything ...
As everything there is to be seen is demanded in the Riddler's 'challenges' ...

Well, the Riddler's challenges aren't obbligatory, it's just an incentive to explore or for the completionists.

Know what ? seeing as how we're lacking great games in this generation , i wouldn't doubt Arkham somehow crawls its way up in a top ten list ...

I wouldn't know about that, not that I'll play most of the new releases, but there some quality out there.

Prof. Layton counts as detective or professor?

Brackstone17
30th Jul 2010, 13:14
Sam and Max then ...
Wow, yeah, they fit the bill too. Forgot about them.

Bevacur
30th Jul 2010, 13:30
Um, maybe Louis from Left 4 Dead? And maybe Coach and Rochelle from L4D2. :rasp:

They are actually good examples.

GrievousOdyssey
30th Jul 2010, 16:39
But honestly, a 10/10 game would probably be too much for me to handle.

MAN I'M FREAKING DYING HERE ! I NEED MY TEN OUT OF TEN GAME OR ELSE I WOULD DIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE ...

I understand, but how do you feel about other sandbox games? isn't part of the idea of having an open world the possibility of going around in the same places? Maybe it's becouse of the size, but I think that open spaces are better when in small quantity; like on hitman missions, or in the last express, having a more detailed little space it's more beliavable than a huge city wich limits you to the streets.

Unfortunately i doubt i can tell , let alone explain , why i liked some sandbox area better than others ... but i can tell you which i liked and which i didn't ...

I liked ...
The Island of Time in Prince of Persia Warrior Within ...
Los Santos and Liberty City (IV) in Grand Theft Autos ...
Wherever-the-hell-that-is in Prince of Persia (2008) ...
The Wasteland in Fallout 3 ...
That-place-that-is-not-called-Africa in Far Cry 2 ...
Rapture in both Bioshocks ...
All the places in Hitman Blood Money ...
Earth in Transformers (2004) ...

I didn't liked ...
Los Angeles in True Crime ...
All the cities in both Assassin's Creed ...
Arkham Asylum in ??? ...

Places-that-i-just-don't-give-a-damn (meaning it's neither good nor bad , but it just doesn't 'tick' in me) ...
Paris in The Saboteur ...
Pretty much all areas ever made in Ratchet & Clank games ...
Empire City in inFamous ...

These are just a few examples but as you can see , it's all varied , there are just some sandbox areas that i liked and others that i don't , for example both area A and B could be a desert , or a small place with lots of details , but for some reason i just like area B better than area A , i can't explain why ...
I might be able to explain why i don't like area A , but i wouldn't be able to justify why i like area B more if they're both pretty much the same , and i'll surely be contradicting myself , if the list i just made above didn't do it already ...

Maybe we can derail this thread in a linear vs open, quantity vs quality...can't wait to see the arguments for the lack of variaty on DogDays compared to DeadMen :D

Holy **** we should do this now ! ...
I knew there was at least one more gaming discussion i hadn't brought up yet , linear vs open ... quantity vs quality ... yes , Yes ! , i see the light !!! ...

As for Dog Days vs Dead Men , i've been doing it for months now , gonna take a break here and wait t'ill at least the competition comes out , then i'm going to shoot it down ! ...

Also agree on the Box Art ;)

I was lucky to find a copy of Arkham Asylum that has a 'alternate' box art , so i import it from ebay of course ...

http://www.gamekyo.com/images_1/dfd2bce733d669afcca9a3b29cf4576520090910092248.jpg

It still has the original box art underneath it though , blasted ! ...

ahah yes, can't wait! :D
Anyway I can't say the music made much of an impression, it just suited the action, but unlike DogDays it doesn't have that stylistic precence; both the songs and the ambient are really good for what I listened, the ambient has that BladeRunner eerie feeling while the songs are so melancholic.

Agreed about how it Did add something in Arkham , that said , it was the weakest score i heard in a Batman game ...

Yeah , i know , i ask too much ...
Which is why Dog Days is not going to live much longer once i'm through with it ...

Never noticed actually, but, you know, ragdolls are allways quite silly.

This reminds me of what i saw last time i played Dog Days' demo ...
As you're leaving the restaurant , just before you see the people tied up , the door will bust open with a Swat guy behind it ...
Well last time i played that moment i already had my shotgun armed and ready , as soon as the door opened i shot that guy , and ... His body 'paused' for a second before 'jumping' up like a kangaroo , and then fall down ...

I guess scripted events are Not to be tampered with in Dog Days , otherwise reviewers are going to have a field day ... again ...

I wouldn't know about that, not that I'll play most of the new releases, but there some quality out there.

Right , in a top twenty list then ...

Prof. Layton counts as detective or professor?

I always thought that kid that runs along with Layton is the detective ...

And the ancestor of Conan ...

They are actually good examples.

Well ? what are you standing there for ? go fetch him some muffins ! ...

Bevacur
30th Jul 2010, 16:53
[FONT="Courier New"]Well ? what are you standing there for ? go fetch him some muffins ! ...

B..b...b..but i have no money and i don't know how to make muffins! I'm sorry! Please don't make me sleep outside again :(

GrievousOdyssey
30th Jul 2010, 16:55
B..b...b..but i have no money and i don't know how to make muffins! I'm sorry! Please don't make me sleep outside again :(

You're never sleeping inside until you get rid of them grenades ...

Bevacur
30th Jul 2010, 16:58
What about the nuke under your house and the cellphone timebomb in my stomach?

GrievousOdyssey
30th Jul 2010, 17:01
That nuke is a secret , nobody knows for now , so that's not a issue ...

As for that cellphone i suggest you go to the toilet , asap ...

Bevacur
30th Jul 2010, 17:02
Well if i poop out the cellphone, it is still ticking...also the password is behind your eye. The Nuke will go off if the cellphone goes off...

To get access to the Nuke the cellphone has to go off....complications!

JackGordon
30th Jul 2010, 17:03
"**** it out!"

ohitspatty
30th Jul 2010, 17:37
Cellphones kill people;

G6yaTmCCEKs

Bevacur
30th Jul 2010, 17:42
Cellphones kill people;

G6yaTmCCEKs

Am i a bad person if i laughed at that?

SlashPrower
30th Jul 2010, 17:48
Cellphones kill people;

G6yaTmCCEKs

I remember seeing that; I was all "OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" and then I was all "wait how was that even set up"

Actually, my reaction was more like the two guys in this video at 0:10

FutIfeJrmIc

ohitspatty
30th Jul 2010, 17:48
No 'effing way. I did too while watching the film for first time. Had to pause it and watch it again.

Also SlashPrower, the whole movie is like a slice of Swiss cheese.

JackGordon
30th Jul 2010, 17:51
If this (http://gizmodo.com/5157354/boy-killed-anally-when-office-chair-explodes) is possible, then a killer cellphone is too.

ohitspatty
30th Jul 2010, 17:53
Dog Man...the f.u.c.k you read? Damn, that's horrible.

JackGordon
30th Jul 2010, 17:55
Chinese make crappy office chairs.

SlashPrower
30th Jul 2010, 17:59
I don't like the sound effect they used for it, though. Sounds like she was hit with a laser.

And yeah, the movie falls apart when you try to think about it. It was still decent, though.

ohitspatty
30th Jul 2010, 18:19
Totally. I enjoyed the film but the more I think about the more stupid it sounds.
Besides I always think about Lynch whenever I see Jamie Foxx now.

Brackstone17
30th Jul 2010, 21:41
If this (http://gizmodo.com/5157354/boy-killed-anally-when-office-chair-explodes) is possible, then a killer cellphone is too.
So the floor is looking mighty comfortable all of a sudden.

GrievousOdyssey
30th Jul 2010, 21:44
So the floor is looking mighty comfortable all of a sudden.

I'm sitting on a good old wooden chair for years now ...

JackGordon
30th Jul 2010, 21:51
I'm sitting on a good old wooden chair for years now ...
Same here.

ohitspatty
5th Sep 2010, 11:22
Arkham Asylum's Combat Challenges.

They can go and f.u.c.k themselves in the ass cause I'm not going to ever touch them, even with a stick. I might be brain damaged but I really find the combat system to be annoying. Half the time, I feel like the buttons are not responding.

Seriously, f.u.c.k trophies and f.u.c.k the damned combat challenges.

JackGordon
5th Sep 2010, 16:37
Yes, I've been trying them AGAIN a few weeks ago. Fuhgeddaboudit.

Bevacur
5th Sep 2010, 18:36
Oblivion had this problem, assault and kill someone in the woods. Everyone will hate you, enter a city and you will get arrested.

So did Fallout 3.

GrievousOdyssey
6th Sep 2010, 22:12
Arkham Asylum's Combat Challenges.

They can go and f.u.c.k themselves in the ass cause I'm not going to ever touch them, even with a stick. I might be brain damaged but I really find the combat system to be annoying. Half the time, I feel like the buttons are not responding.

Seriously, f.u.c.k trophies and f.u.c.k the damned combat challenges.

*caresses my gold trophy , with my full pride , and muffins* ...

Yes, I've been trying them AGAIN a few weeks ago. Fuhgeddaboudit.

I can't believe this , but you two suck at gaming more than i ! lololololololol ...

(must be the ice cream that is making me speaking like a streetpunk , either that or the lack of control recently in this holy place of ours) ...

Oblivion had this problem, assault and kill someone in the woods. Everyone will hate you, enter a city and you will get arrested.

So did Fallout 3.

Red Dead Redemption takes the cake in "failing to understand karma in gaming" however ...

Seriously , the sooner developpers stop using the karma gimmick , the better ...

JackGordon
6th Sep 2010, 23:20
I can't believe this , but you two suck at gaming more than i ! lololololololol ...
Beat 'em up just isn't my cup of tea. I mastered those stealth challenges in no time though.

GrievousOdyssey
6th Sep 2010, 23:27
Hololololol you think it was a beat'em up , it was a ballet dance you fool , don't even know what yo playin ...

*rolls all over the floor like a dumbass* ...

JackGordon
7th Sep 2010, 00:00
Well I don't know how to dance either. You, on the other hand... *tags Grievous with the Security Bullseye plasmid*

GrievousOdyssey
7th Sep 2010, 00:11
I remember taking lots of pictures of them hoodinies so i haz that tonic that makes me go invizible ! ...

ohitspatty
7th Sep 2010, 00:31
I just don't like the combat system so I'm not going to bother wasting time on it. After all, it's not like I was enjoying those combat challenges.

GrievousOdyssey
7th Sep 2010, 00:34
I was about to make another stupid-looking post , but then i got tired all of a sudden ...

Whoa , i guess in order to speak like a idiot all day long you really Have to be a idiot ...

I'm gonna continue Among Thieves on crushing now , i know i hate this stupid game , but that gold trophy is giving me that Look ...