PDA

View Full Version : Community Management

Jerion
28th Jun 2010, 04:24
If you've been around for a while, you probably know René. He's been with us from the beginning as the Community Manager for Eidos Montréal, and has been a stand up guy for this community and the people in it, despite the restrictions and marketing agendas in place.

Saturday, June 26th was his last day at Eidos Montréal. He left for personal reasons, and wanted to make a quiet exit. We'll miss you man!

In the interim, while the new dedicated CM is sorted (which could happen Soon™ for various reasons -- geography, visas, etc.) the position of Community Manager goes to Keir :keir:. Some of you know him already, others don't, but he's a good guy and now the person you go to for EidosM stuff and high-level board stuff. If for whatever reason you can't reach him for something, talk to one of the Moderators (Myself, MyImmortal, DXeXodus, Romeo) and it'll get passed along up the chain or we'll take care of it.

We're in good hands, and this might lead to some changes in the future. :)

-K

Graeme
28th Jun 2010, 04:30
All the best to Rene. Welcome to the new guy :D

ArcR
28th Jun 2010, 04:42
Saturday, June 26th was his last day at Eidos Montréal. He left for personal reasons, and wanted to make a quiet exit.

He played the demo, didn't he? :D

On a serious note I'm bummed about this. :( Feels kinda like losing Jock the first time around. You'll be missed Rene! Good luck in your endeavors.

rokstrombo
28th Jun 2010, 05:20
Best of luck to René :). Thanks for putting up with us for so long!

Pinky_Powers
28th Jun 2010, 05:42
I'd imagine the Community Management position has high turn-over. It seems like the sort of job that would wear on a person quickly.

Whatever. Best of luck to you René. Hope you find something fun to do next.

jtr7
28th Jun 2010, 06:51
I'm saddened and full of questions, but I'll wait until the tension subsides before I compose a Private Message to Keir. A lot of things are left up in the air outside of DX:HR and T4 that I hope will reach some conclusion--preferably nice, but any conclusion will do.

Au revoir!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Jun 2010, 07:15
When Rene said he was leaving, I was genuinely upset. I will miss him a LOT.
All the best to you, Rene... I salute you, sir. :wave:

MaxxQ1
28th Jun 2010, 08:14
Better to have left on his own terms, and pretty much appreciated around here, than what Alex Rodberg did at the Relic forums a short while before Homeworld 2 was released:

http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/Marweas

As has been said by others, good luck Rene, and I hope to see you around once in awhile after the game is out.

Those of you complaining about a lack of news or info from EM might want to at least be glad that Rene (or anyone else from EM) hasn't done this sort of meltdown. I know the lack of interaction and news/info is frustrating, but it would appear there's not much we can do about it.

Besides, we still have about 9 months left 'til this baby is born.

Ashpolt
28th Jun 2010, 08:54
Au revoir, René! All the best!

...And welcome Keir!

Pinky_Powers
28th Jun 2010, 09:01
Au revoir, René! All the best!

...And welcome Keir!

You think we'll see him around more, now that it's his job? :cool:

Irate_Iguana
28th Jun 2010, 09:23
Goodbye René. Hopefully your next job gives you a little more freedom.

You think we'll see him around more, now that it's his job? :cool:

Doing what? He has the same problem that René had. EM is unwilling to communicate directly with us. There is nothing to manage when it comes to this community apart from the modding that Mr. K, MyImmortal, Romeo and DXeXodus do. The only thing that changes for us is that a new guy has the title. It doesn't mean that we will suddenly be inundated with news not released via large game sites.

Blade_hunter
28th Jun 2010, 09:41
Au revoir René, et bonne continuation.
Keir was here already, but personally, I don't see what will be the further changes except perhaps, he will participate more with our discussions.

Bono
28th Jun 2010, 10:19
I actually feel sorry for Rene. He was the primary target of the audience's outrage since we started to get the first real news about DXHR. He probably didn't want to be a victim of Eidos-Montreal absolutely hilarious management, marketing and approach to game design. When you stop believing in something, it's very hard to try to convince the others in it.

However, these are just my thoughts, and Rene's intentions might easily be quite the opposite.

Anyway, I think the Dark Engine source codes are now finally and ultimately lost.

SageSavage
28th Jun 2010, 10:33
Has this anything to do with the E3-leak?

However, all the best and good luck to you, René!

Tecman
28th Jun 2010, 10:41
I will miss the guy! Especially his exclamation point habits! In his posts!

René was one of the rare CMs for any game that would bother to reply to you personally if you asked a question (in a polite manner) as best as he was allowed to.

K^2
28th Jun 2010, 10:50
I'd like to say how great a guy he was, and how much he'll be missed, but that sounds too much like an obituary.

Rene, hope you will find (have found?) a good gig. Best of luck wherever you'll end up.

DXeXodus
28th Jun 2010, 11:16
All the best to you René. And congratulations on a job well done as far as I am concerned. It sure has been great working with you :)

mad_red
28th Jun 2010, 12:54
Hopefully you'll still be seen here with us, in the crowd of ignorami! Or will it not be the same anymore?

Cheers and the best Rene.

PenguinsFriend
28th Jun 2010, 13:15
Has this anything to do with the E3-leak?

However, all the best and good luck to you, René!

I was just thinking that! What a great conspiracy for us to start, eh? After all, it is in keeping with Deus Ex! :)

ChrisVCB
28th Jun 2010, 14:11
Interesting, especially given the timing. I've seen this happen before ('personal reasons') , in some cases the guys lose faith in what they're representing. I wonder if thats happened here.

Either way, good luck to you René!

xsamitt
28th Jun 2010, 14:24
Don't know why but I got a bad feeling about this.

IH-Denton
28th Jun 2010, 14:38
yap, same thoughts. It will be hard for newbie to got the place.

Ashpolt
28th Jun 2010, 14:50
^^ Keir isn't new, he's been spying on us all for a while. We've just got to call out the secret chant to coax him down from on high...COO! COO!

:D

xsamitt
28th Jun 2010, 14:55
This one is for you René.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=AEq62iQo0eU&playnext_from=TL&videos=PecM-r6NW2M

Ashpolt
28th Jun 2010, 15:00
And so's this one, dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pba7X7LPCk&feature=related

Kodaemon
28th Jun 2010, 15:20

People leaving during the production of a game is generally never a good sign. Take Command & Conquer 4. A few months before release, big names started leaving, for reasons not at all related to the game, no siree, everyone leaving one by one is just coincidence. And C&C4? Well... (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/commandandconquer4?q=command%20&%20conquer%204)

PenguinsFriend
28th Jun 2010, 15:49
also interesting to see how many people are kissing Rene's as$ now that he's leaving - it wasn't that long ago that several people were smacking him around for not releasing any info.

Funny too - he gets promoted and within a month he resigns. He has to have had something to do with the leaked footage, eh?

maddermadcat
28th Jun 2010, 16:31
Rene's a friendly, approachable and very helpful guy. I honestly hope his personal reasons don't signify anything bad for his life -- or the game.

I wonder if he comes back, will he be as tolerant of our *****ing now that he's not being paid to listen to it?

Spyhopping
28th Jun 2010, 21:01
I'm sorry to see him go, he's provided a real personal touch to our communication with EM. Hopefully he's moving onward and upward into something better.

So long René, and if it permits, make sure you call back some time to say hi!

FrankCSIS
28th Jun 2010, 22:04
also interesting to see how many people are kissing Rene's as$ now that he's leaving - it wasn't that long ago that several people were smacking him around for not releasing any info.

Don't think anyone's personally felt René was responsible for how tightly controlled information was/is. In fact he's gone out of his way quite a few times to release just as much as he could without getting chewed up. It wasn't much, if anything, but I know he's tried.

I'm not one who wishes luck or success, and so I just hope you have fun in whatever it is you're shipping out to ;)

So where does that leave us? The Keir is dead, God bless the Keir?

Romeo
29th Jun 2010, 22:12

Funny too - he gets promoted and within a month he resigns. He has to have had something to do with the leaked footage, eh?
Honestly, if you ever had a problem with Rene, it's because you're too damn hard to get along with. He's always been a great guy, and almost any community questions I ever had asked to me I could forward on to Rene and have him try and pry some answers out for people (Such as the controller on windows question). Kier's a pretty gnarley guy too, but Rene is going to be missed by anyone who actually ever spoke to the guy.

Mindmute
29th Jun 2010, 23:11
Welcome Keir and all the best to René, whatever his reasons for leaving were, I can imagine the position as community manager to be a very ungrateful one at times. Take care and just keep being awsome ;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Jun 2010, 06:53
This thread always makes me feel very sad. Rene was a fantastic guy... he will be missed greatly.

jtr7
30th Jun 2010, 07:33
Indeed. Very much.

MaxxQ1
30th Jun 2010, 10:04
Honestly, if you ever had a problem with Rene, it's because you're too damn hard to get along with. He's always been a great guy, and almost any community questions I ever had asked to me I could forward on to Rene and have him try and pry some answers out for people (Such as the controller on windows question). Kier's a pretty gnarley guy too, but Rene is going to be missed by anyone who actually ever spoke to the guy.

Yep. I even pm'd him myself asking about a confirmation of something I had noticed in the snippet trailer that was released just before the official trailer came out. There was debate on whether Adam was wearing gloves, or if it was a posthetic hand. I was holding out for prosthetics, as the "glove" weave pattern looked a hell of a lot like the carbon fiber sheeting I used to use when I was building high power rockets, and what people were interpreting as a seam for the "glove", I thought looked like a hinge, like a mechanical finger or thumb might have.

I pm'd Rene about it, and only a couple hours later, he basically confirmed that I was right. Then we chatted a bit about David Weber's Honor Harrington books.

I said it before, but I'll reiterate now - I'm gonna miss the guy.

ZakKa89
30th Jun 2010, 10:39
Thanks for the work you've put in the community Rene.

I Wish u luck and farewell :thumb::flowers:

Kohtalo
30th Jun 2010, 10:44
His appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the senator.

DXeXodus
30th Jun 2010, 11:07
Haha ^^ Classic!

Bono
30th Jun 2010, 15:18
His appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the senator.

I take it he was agreeable?

xsamitt
30th Jun 2010, 15:49
Didn't really have a choice.>>>>>>>>>>Maybe there is more truth to that statement then we realize.Seems very odd to leave when the title is so close.If I were a betting man I say a pick slip was involved.It just doesn't add up.Non the less I wish him well.

PenguinsFriend
30th Jun 2010, 16:08

Oh, I never had a problem with him if that was what you were thinking. Just interesting to note that when I got here last year a few folks were bashing him (I'm not gonna name names:)) and now some of those self same people are in this thread puckering up :D

Romeo
30th Jun 2010, 16:15
Didn't really have a choice.>>>>>>>>>>Maybe there is more truth to that statement then we realize.Seems very odd to leave when the title is so close.If I were a betting man I say a pick slip was involved.It just doesn't add up.Non the less I wish him well.
Considered that myself - not the case. I still chat with the guy. We Vancouver-ites need to stick together!

Oh, I never had a problem with him if that was what you were thinking. Just interesting to note that when I got here last year a few folks were bashing him (I'm not gonna name names:)) and now some of those self same people are in this thread puckering up :D
No, I do know what you're saying, I'm just saying, he's pretty damn hard NOT to get along with, if you (*As in the whole general populous, not you specifically) didn't like him, it's probably because you* never spoke with him.

xsamitt
30th Jun 2010, 16:21
Considered that myself - not the case. I still chat with the guy. We Vancouver-ites need to stick together!

No, I do know what you're saying, I'm just saying, he's pretty damn hard NOT to get along with, if you (*As in the whole general populous, not you specifically) didn't like him, it's probably because you* never spoke with him.

I wonder if he will at least play the game when it's finished?It will be interesting if,though doubt it,he would describe the inevitable changes that will surly take place,as opposed to the finished product.Who know's,he may even be surprised himself with a few things.

SageSavage
30th Jun 2010, 16:31
I was one of the people complaining about his lack of communication with the community (apart from the lack of solid information) and broken promises (dev blog). The situation now is quite different: we have lots of new information to talk about (althoug I somehow don't find much interest in it right now) and the "dev blog" is online (well, not really what I had in mind but anyway). But even if that hadn't been the case, I still would want to wish him good times because we've been on this forum together for quite a while and it just wouldn't feel right to say nothing.

Romeo
30th Jun 2010, 16:39
I wonder if he will at least play the game when it's finished?It will be interesting if,though doubt it,he would describe the inevitable changes that will surly take place,as opposed to the finished product.Who know's,he may even be surprised himself with a few things.
I'm going out on a limb here and saying he'll play it. If you design a car, and then leave the company, you're still going to test-drive that car at least once. As for how he'll feel about that, that's anyone's guess.

I was one of the people complaining about his lack of communication with the community (apart from the lack of solid information) and broken promises (dev blog). The situation now is quite different: we have lots of new information to talk about (althoug I somehow don't find much interest in it right now) and the "dev blog" is online (well, not really what I had in mind but anyway). But even if that hadn't been the case, I still would want to wish him good times because we've been on this forum together for quite a while and it just wouldn't feel right to say nothing.
I remember that. Damn Fox, you're one of the old ones here. But yeah, he's a damn cool guy.

SageSavage
30th Jun 2010, 16:50
Damn Fox, you're one of the old ones here. Thank goodness, DX is (and will always be) the only franchise I invest so much time into. Damn, my support stockings are tight today.

Kodaemon
30th Jun 2010, 16:54
I'm sure Rene is a wonderful person and all that, but that doesn't change the fact that he fed us lies and propaganda. You can play the game without going into third person, really!

GamerX51
30th Jun 2010, 21:00
I take it he was agreeable?

He didn't really have a choice.

Deus_Ex_Machina
1st Jul 2010, 00:25
He didn't really have a choice.

Has he been infected?

jamhaw
1st Jul 2010, 00:57
It is too bad to here that René is leaving. He has always done an excellent job despite never being allowed to tell us much at all. If you are reading this, I wish you the best in the future and I hope that you will still vist these forums from time to time. I will miss you.

jtr7
1st Jul 2010, 01:30
Yeah, how can you hang out with a group discussing the game you can't talk about. And when you do say something at one point in development, it can be 100% true when you say it, and it can be 0% true later on, as things change drastically over a development cycle, including entirely scrapping whole elements, as well as adding them in.

I still want to know how much the third-person gameplay was the player toggling it both accidentally and by choice, as opposed to auto-switching.

Romeo
1st Jul 2010, 02:56
I'm sure Rene is a wonderful person and all that, but that doesn't change the fact that he fed us lies and propaganda. You can play the game without going into third person, really!
A+ for being bat "fecal matter" crazy.

Rene's job was essentially that of a middle-man between the community and the develloper. If Eidos tells him you can go the whole game without third-person, guess what he's going to report back to you? He doesn't tell you lies, he asks your questions to the develloper, and reports back to you their answers.

Kodaemon
1st Jul 2010, 04:07
So, you're saying he never actually saw the game, and just went by what the rest of the team told him about it. Yeah, I get that.

jtr7
1st Jul 2010, 04:12
A++

Pinky_Powers
1st Jul 2010, 04:14
So, you're saying he never actually saw the game, and just went by what the rest of the team told him about it. Yeah, I get that.

A game changes drastically during its development. He saw only small parts of it along the way. If you have a problem with that, keep it to yourself.

K^2
1st Jul 2010, 04:43
They made HUGE changes over the past year and a half. Things got outdated. What I actually saw with my own eyes at EM back in the fall was already different from what we saw at E3. This winter I would tell you that you can 100% avoid 3rd person based on what I saw at the studio. I made claims like that, and I was very critical of many of the game's either choices. I certainly was not trying to make this game look better than it is.

So the problems Rene faced are completely understandable. If you are displeased with how information we got doesn't match what we saw at E3, direct it at the suits at EM, people who were actually responsible. Not at Rene who did the best he could with what he had.

Kodaemon
1st Jul 2010, 05:03
So what this tells us is that rather than improving based on our suggestions, the game's getting progressively worse the closer it is to release.

Don't mind me, I'm just in a grumpy mood right now.

K^2
1st Jul 2010, 05:04
It would seem that way.

I'm not saying I'm not annoyed with EM overall in all this. Just not with Rene in particular.

jtr7
1st Jul 2010, 06:55
So what this tells us is that rather than improving based on our suggestions, the game's getting progressively worse the closer it is to release.

Don't mind me, I'm just in a grumpy mood right now.

:flowers:

I'm not saying I'm not annoyed with EM overall in all this. Just not with Rene in particular.

:thumb:

WildcatPhoenix
1st Jul 2010, 13:55
I don't think too many of us are genuinely upset at Rene. He busted his tail to get us as much information as humanly possible, and I'm sure he got tired of being constantly handcuffed by EM's information blackout policy.

Whether or not this had anything to do with him leaving, I don't have a clue. But at this point does it even matter if we have a "community manager" or not? Eidos Montreal's two-step plan for community management seems to be:

1. Show them nothing.
2. Repeat.

GamerX51
1st Jul 2010, 15:00
Has he been infected?

Oh, yes. When I told him we could put him on the priority list for the ambrosia vaccine he was so willing it was almost pathetic.

PenguinsFriend
1st Jul 2010, 16:01
I don't think too many of us are genuinely upset at Rene. He busted his tail to get us as much information as humanly possible...

Yeah, I think you might be overstating that just a tad. He seldom posted in here on any regular basis; whether to tell us he couldn't comment on a question or to to just say he couldn't comment at all on some of the ideas we had.

The reality is that he did other stuff besides acting as any type of community liasion - and I think most people forget that. But again, lets not make the guy out to be some kind of saint, ok. ;)

Deus_Ex_Machina
1st Jul 2010, 17:27
Eidos Montreal's two-step plan for community management seems to be:

1. Show them nothing.
2. Repeat.

I think they borrowed that from Raven/Activision when they were developing Wolfenstein (2009).

Romeo
1st Jul 2010, 18:00
Yeah, I think you might be overstating that just a tad. He seldom posted in here on any regular basis; whether to tell us he couldn't comment on a question or to to just say he couldn't comment at all on some of the ideas we had.

The reality is that he did other stuff besides acting as any type of community liasion - and I think most people forget that. But again, lets not make the guy out to be some kind of saint, ok. ;)
It was all the private messenger man. Typically, you could PM him and have an answer either immeadiately, or by the next day (If he'd gone home and couldn't ask). He definitely gave 110% when it came to answering people. You're right, he didn't post in threads all too often, and I suppose that's done to maintain some element of neutrality. I mean, how many people would've enjoyed an Eidos rep in every thread saying "It'll be great, just you see!"

Bluey71
1st Jul 2010, 19:44
Typically, you could PM him and have an answer either immeadiately, or by the next day

I always received replies off Rene to PM's. Can't say I was always happy with the answer but credit where it's due. Lets also remember that Rene did post a fair amount on this board, early on. Once it was clear that some things were going to be very different in this game, and the questions got quite deep into game play and more searching, his answers became more and more to defend those game play decisions.

I think in the end he probably did get a bit fed up responding to questions on the same subject time and again, which is why perhaps he stopped posting so much.

jtr7
1st Jul 2010, 22:39
Not to mention his workload was increasing, doing two jobs, and then with E3 ramping up. But yeah, I started feeling sorry for him, presumptively to an extent, from what I saw was happening, with two DX:HR forums and two T4 forums, and maybe more forums I don't know about, but that's enough.

Romeo
2nd Jul 2010, 07:28
Not to mention his workload was increasing, doing two jobs, and then with E3 ramping up. But yeah, I started feeling sorry for him, presumptively to an extent, from what I saw was happening, with two DX:HR forums and two T4 forums, and maybe more forums I don't know about, but that's enough.
Yeah. Don't feel too bad for him, he's back in Vancouver which means he gets to bask in my awesomeness. :rasp:

jtr7
2nd Jul 2010, 07:55
Thanks. I knew early on that my concerns were likely amplified by the way imagination fills a vacuum of desired knowledge, and knowing and understanding that I'm not entitled to that knowledge doesn't help, but makes it worse, as it is human nature.

Bask away, René! Just don't forget the SPF 30. ;)

Romeo
2nd Jul 2010, 08:20
More like SPF 3000000. I'm pretty much the best thing since toaster strudels.

jtr7
2nd Jul 2010, 08:29
:cool: :thumb:

itsalladream
2nd Jul 2010, 17:02
So, you get white icing smeared across your face?

SageSavage
2nd Jul 2010, 17:15
http://youworkit.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/CM-Capture-22.png

Romeo
3rd Jul 2010, 04:08
So, you get white icing smeared across your face?
Wow, sexual innuendo FTW! lol

Esnuk
6th Jul 2010, 21:43
Now that René is gone, who will update the official blog of DXHR?

Romeo
7th Jul 2010, 06:29
Now that René is gone, who will update the official blog of DXHR?
There's a dude coming in as a Rene-in-training.

Fluffis
7th Jul 2010, 08:05

Preview-man:

"New Dude is 'Rene I Training' in... Rene II: The Second Coming. Catch the fever!"

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Jul 2010, 13:41

Can't wait to meet him. :)

Keir
7th Jul 2010, 18:14
On behalf of everyone at Eidos-Montréal and Square Enix Europe it's a very warm thanks and goodbye to René. While he couldn't always help the community as much as he'd have liked, he did top work on the trailer and the site, etc.

And thanks for the welcome chaps. I've been snooping around for a while. I've been at Eidos/SCi/Eidos/Square Enix Europe for about nine years and I am still breathing (although I'm sure there is irreparable mental scarring).

Anyway, I'll be around until René 2.0 joins us. I've spoken to him and he's an enthusiastic bloke with some really great ideas. Although it's sad to see René go, I think the change will present some cool opportunities.

So until then, please feel free to drop me PM's with questions and suggestions and I'll see if I can't get some goodness for you guys to enjoy while you're waiting for the next major hit of coverage.

^^ Keir isn't new, he's been spying on us all for a while. We've just got to call out the secret chant to coax him down from on high...COO! COO!

Pinky_Powers
7th Jul 2010, 19:54
How about an animatic of Jensen flashing his coat open, revealing himself to an old woman and her Basset Hound?

jjc
8th Jul 2010, 00:23
How about an animatic of Jensen flashing his coat open, revealing himself to an old woman and her Basset Hound?

Social aug.

Deus_Ex_Machina
8th Jul 2010, 00:26
Social aug.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/263/3/d/A_Winrar_is_you_by_winrarisyouplz.png

jjc
8th Jul 2010, 03:18
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/263/3/d/A_Winrar_is_you_by_winrarisyouplz.png

:friends: