PDA

View Full Version : co op dlc?

super...
27th Jun 2010, 22:12
would'nt co op DLC be cool? they said there are plans for dlc i wonder what it's going to be?

jkruse
27th Jun 2010, 22:16
I do love me some coop (the main reason I bothered to get a 360), though I hope they aren't messing with any multiplayer stuff right now. I'd prefer they focus on campaign until release. I could live with coop as DLC though.

Mindmute
27th Jun 2010, 22:21
would'nt co op DLC be cool? they said there are plans for dlc i wonder what it's going to be?

I can't see co-op working in a DX game. DX is about YOUR choices and YOUR interactions. Adding someone else's choices into the mix could end up in a messy game experience.
I'm not saying it couldn't be decently fun with the right person playing with you, I just don't see it being anywhere nearly as popular as in other, less story driven games; at least not popular enough to warrant the development type necessary for it when compared to DLC that could actually expand the storyline/sidemissions.

ChfMojoRising
27th Jun 2010, 22:46
Well, as separate DLC that's either removed from the story (like Metal Gear) or has it's own little story (I think like Splinter Cell~) it'll be cool.

Dead-Eye
27th Jun 2010, 23:39
The Old Republic is going to have something that looks like a cooperative RPG.

K^2
27th Jun 2010, 23:55
Some people have gotten pretty good at rigging singleplayer games for Co-op by hooking into them. Might be possible for HR. As long as any and all seeds for random numbers for AI can be synced, the games should be synchronizable. Then it's just a matter of spawning an actor that will be controlled remotely by other player, and making sure all player-world interactions are accounted for.

Would be a hell of a project, but there might be enough people interested if the game is enjoyable enough.

super...
28th Jun 2010, 00:16
this is what made me post this
from the warcrow interview

Are there plans to have a multiplayer component?
Deus Ex Human Revolution is a single player game. That's the tradition of the franchise. When we brought the game back from the dead--and it's not an easy task--we didn't want to split the team up and have them working all over the place. We don't want to make a game with average components. We want to make sure we're recreating the single-player experience the best way that we can. We decided to focus everything we've got on the single-player experience. Now speaking in terms of future plans for online stuff and DLC--we're not talking about that right now. Let me say this: We want to make sure the the Deus Ex name stays alive!

/end

Now a simple way to keep a game alive is with a competitive mode. the other way is with downloadable episodes, this approach has yet to really work aside from taletell games.

it would be very interesting to see a persistent online game of deus ex. Something where you had 3-10 player agents per faction and the whole game world to hide and fight against the other factions.

MaxxQ1
28th Jun 2010, 01:53
this is what made me post this
from the warcrow interview

Are there plans to have a multiplayer component?
Deus Ex Human Revolution is a single player game. That's the tradition of the franchise. When we brought the game back from the dead--and it's not an easy task--we didn't want to split the team up and have them working all over the place. We don't want to make a game with average components. We want to make sure we're recreating the single-player experience the best way that we can. We decided to focus everything we've got on the single-player experience. Now speaking in terms of future plans for online stuff and DLC--we're not talking about that right now. Let me say this: We want to make sure the the Deus Ex name stays alive!

/end

Now a simple way to keep a game alive is with a competitive mode. the other way is with downloadable episodes, this approach has yet to really work aside from taletell games.

it would be very interesting to see a persistent online game of deus ex. Something where you had 3-10 player agents per faction and the whole game world to hide and fight against the other factions.

Re: the bolded part:

Maybe for you, but absolutely *not* for me. I hate any kind of multiplayer, co-op or otherwise. Except for very early MP with Freespace, I've never played any MP in my life, and I don't plan to start. I never downloaded the MP patch for DX, and I refuse to d/l anything similar for DX:HR.

As for episodes - meh. The idea sounds good on paper, but unless you've got the entire storyline already planned out from the beginning, I can easily see how it can all get bogged down in contradictions and other problems. Look at how long people have been waiting for the next "episode" of Half-Life 2.

Also, episodic games seem to me to be more of a cash cow, rather than anything else. It's a way for a dev/publisher to make some additional cash without having to expend much in the way of development for a sequel.

FrankCSIS
28th Jun 2010, 02:37
I can't see co-op working in a DX game.

I think it's possible, but requires to be built from the ground up, and not something you just throw in for ****s and gigles afterwards.

The "detective" part of the game could be achieved by investigating and exploring the same large area on your own, speak with whoever it is you wish to speak in the order that you want (think Hell's Kitchen) and then "compare notes" and travel together from one main area/city to another.

Infiltration can also be done quite well by either starting from the same spot, or using entirely different methods or entry point according to the decisions you have taken. It may be interesting to see, for instance, someone triggering an alarm and going in gun blazing while the other player tries to sneak amidst the folly of the alarm.

For the sequences where detective work suddenly turn into action bits (ex: the mosoleum/cemetary sequence), you would both be confronted at the same time to the plot twist and switch of events, and could help one another as partners.

Basicaly, in parts you would play the game on your own, with perhaps your individual storyline that varies depending on which of the two characters you selected, and then compare notes and objectives in-game, and in other parts you would work in pure co-op infiltrating the same area. This way the single player wouldn't be penalised, and the co-op mode would offer the possibility of living another experience that adds something more interesting than simply playing this one character which is normally controlled by the cpu.