PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Renovatio Mod

Rylsadar
27th Jun 2010, 12:37
Renovatio is a complete re-creation of the game Deus Ex, utilizing the Crystal Dynamics game engine. Renovatio will let you re-visit the world that started the Deus Ex continuum.

Renovatio is a free modification; The developers will never charge you for playing mainly because we wouldn't want to make people pay to play, but also because it would be illegal to do so. As long as you have a copy of HR, Renovatio will cost you nothing.

Interesting story, eh? Ok, who's with me?

Kodaemon
27th Jun 2010, 12:46
Well that's nice and all, but it's assuming we get an SDK for HR. Also, got any modding credentials?

Sabretooth1
27th Jun 2010, 12:47
How do we even know how moddable the finished game will be, or if they'll release an SDK? Or whether it will be legal to remake Deus Ex in it, since that would dampen Eidos' prospects of selling Deus Ex alongside Human Revolution.

I say you stop building castles where they can't be built and wait for the game to come out first.

Ashpolt
27th Jun 2010, 13:01
Interesting, but I hope you'll excuse me if I remain sceptical, having seen one too many mod teams start with projects far less ambitious than this, and still never finish. Also, bear in mind that HR's engine won't allow for a lot of Deus Ex's gameplay mechanics without serious hacking up the code, and I certainly wouldn't want to see a remake of the original adopting the gameplay style of the new game. This is a massively ambitious undertaking, so good luck to you if you decide to go ahead.

Pinky_Powers
27th Jun 2010, 13:35
I have one thing to say about this: Black Mesa.

It's STILL not out, after six years of continuous work from a very talented community. And Half Life isn't half as complicated as Deus Ex in sheer gameplay terms.

Tecman
27th Jun 2010, 13:37
Can't wait to see your untextured weapon renders, bro.

Even if the game did get an SDK at some point, remaking the first game would be an epic undertaking that would, probably, break a lot of current mod teams that HAVE already shipped something and didn't remain at the "Post Weapon Renders, Bicker About Worthless Stuff, Get Tons of People that Don't Actually Do Anything then Whine About This". So, uh... good luck?

The only way such a project would survive was if you had actual experience and knew what you were getting into, could show off some of your own work RIGHT NOW to attract people (and not just go "Oh, another Dreamer" instead). Then be prepared to throw away years of your life not just creating content but also managing a team of people who don't actually have strong motivations to do anything since (I'm guessing) you're trying to do it over the net.

Trust someone who's been there, the best way to even get started is to have clusters of people that know each-other in real life that can encourage one another and work together, then have those clusters collaborate. And even then the probability of failure is quite high because people tend to lose interest when they realize it's actually hard, hard work.

Rylsadar
27th Jun 2010, 13:54
Obviously, this isn't going to be a quick and easy project. The remake of one of the most succesful games of all time is a big and daunting task. I'm part of a group, prepared to create the entire thing from scratch (textures, props, models, maps, sounds...) I myself joined as a level designer eager to recreate some of my favorite Deus Ex environments with the backing power of the Crystal Dynamics engine.

Let's just wait and see if they announce the release SDK.

Pinky_Powers
27th Jun 2010, 14:02
Obviously, this isn't going to be a quick and easy project. The remake of one of the most succesful games of all time is a big and daunting task.

This doesn't even scratch the surface of the grim reality you're proposing.

Fluffis
27th Jun 2010, 14:16
The concept is intriguing, but I am very sceptical. This sounds like one of "those" projects. Like The Sith Lords Restoration Project, only even more ambitious.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but don't expect me to hold my breath.

Pinky_Powers
27th Jun 2010, 14:39
I wish you all the luck in the world, but don't expect me to hold my breath.

If you attempt this, make sure you have paramedics on standby.

xsamitt
27th Jun 2010, 14:41
Well for the record I know I would jump for the chance to have DX 1 with new AI and such.Bring it on.

Fluffis
27th Jun 2010, 14:45
If you attempt this, make sure you have paramedics on standby.

Already do. I'm already holding my breath for Final Fantasy XIV, Fable III and this game. :eek:

Pinky_Powers
27th Jun 2010, 14:50
Already do. I'm already holding my breath for Final Fantasy XIV, Fable III and this game. :eek:

Your lungs are so... robust! :eek:

Fluffis
27th Jun 2010, 14:56
Your lungs are so... robust! :eek:

I'm afraid that if I start thinking about what I'm doing, I may not make it.

xsamitt
27th Jun 2010, 15:27
I'm afraid that if I start thinking about what I'm doing, I may not make it.

As JLP would say,......Make It So.

bryt
27th Jun 2010, 15:35
One thing to consider.... and seriously. If you actually have the skills and motivation to make one of the biggest mod efforts ever... then at some point you are going to realize that you could be making money. Why not do so?

Kodaemon
27th Jun 2010, 15:45
One thing to consider.... and seriously. If you actually have the skills and motivation to make one of the biggest mod efforts ever... then at some point you are going to realize that you could be making money. Why not do so?

If you mean making money off a Deus Ex mod, Square Enix would be on his ass soon enough. If you mean working as a game designer, then where do you think those are recruited from? ;)

Bluey71
27th Jun 2010, 18:28
Nice - good luck with it.

Why wait for an SDK with this game though - why not use something like the Unreal Development Kit?

nathanj
27th Jun 2010, 18:35
im still waiting for the various texture replacer mods to get finished.........and thats the easy stuff.

Bluey71
27th Jun 2010, 18:41
Am I right in thinking that you can build pretty much anything with UDK - it's not just Unreal mods right?

Dead-Eye
27th Jun 2010, 19:53
Am I right in thinking that you can build pretty much anything with UDK - it's not just Unreal mods right?
Anything that you can write in Unreal Script.

This mod might be easier to make then everyone is anticipating. There are already mods that have done a lot of the artwork (HDTP, New Vision) so the big focus would be on level design and coding. That's still a lot of work but it is a lot less work if you can use the assets from these teams mods.

Still all of this is a moot point if EM dose not release an SDK. There is absolutely no hope for this mod if there isen't an SDK so keep you're fingers crossed.

Remington
27th Jun 2010, 20:40
I say look at DX:R (Deus Ex: Reborn). It started by recreating DX1 for UT2k4 and STILL isn't done.

A cool idea: Let's do it with UDK.

neilthecellist
28th Jun 2010, 19:34
Over-ambition. This thread.

Jerion
28th Jun 2010, 20:02
Too ambitous for anything but a very large scale project, indie or otherwise. Not likely that this will get done, IMO. I know firsthand that making a simple game is hard and takes a long time, and while a mod is somewhat easier DX is a very, very complex game.

SageSavage
28th Jun 2010, 20:10
Are you ready to work multiple years (4-6?) of your life with a (constantly changing) team of amateurs very focused on this? Using an engine that is sure to be outdated by the time it reaches release day? With a high risk to fail for some obscure reason? Yes? Go ahead and good luck then!

K^2
28th Jun 2010, 20:15
Let's just wait and see if they announce the release SDK.
They will not. Engine was never intended for public SDK. The archive format is not mod-friendly, so even an official map editor will be an extreme stretch. And presuming that you can find a way to hack in custom models, maps, and textures, which will be a colossal effort just to get to work, the game does not support custom client library, so you will be out of luck coding in all the old skills and augmentations.

If you want to make a mod like this, start with an engine that's friendly to it. I would recommend working with UT3 engine, as it is free to develop for, assuming you are making a not-for-profit game, and the existing DX mod community will already be somewhat familiar with it.

Remington
28th Jun 2010, 21:23
Agreed. Use UDK for maximum freedom and engine upgradability.