PDA

View Full Version : Question About Deus Ex: The Conspiracy (PS2 Version)

Deus_Ex_Machina
26th Jun 2010, 05:03
I know that technically this would be considered off topic, but at the same time it's DX-related, so I figured I'd post. Also, I'm sure SOMEONE who frequents these forums can answer my question.

Anyway, my question is regarding the differences between the PC version of DX and the PS2 port. What are they? Please refrain from posting simple comments like "It's toned down garbage" or "Consoles r teh suxxxorz!!11".

The reason I'm interested is because, while I own a copy of DX GOTY edition for PC, I can't play it because I no longer own a PC (I'm on Mac). I haven't played DX in YEARS and I have the urge to play it now.

Pinky_Powers
26th Jun 2010, 05:30
I'd be interested in this answer too; just for the sake of knowing things, as I don't own a Playstation.

Technically, I don't own the PC version either... not if my friend keeps my copy forever!

But, I still have it installed and cracked on my machine, so I'm not exactly hurting just yet. But dear lord, what would happen if I had to format?? :confused:

jtr7
26th Jun 2010, 05:48
A generalized start:
http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Deus_Ex%3A_The_Conspiracy

Unstoppable
26th Jun 2010, 05:50
I know the PS 2 version has better graphics and a CGI intro/endings. Also I heard you can activate God mode after you beat the game.

nathanj
26th Jun 2010, 06:08
i tried the ps2 version and it was horrible. it doesnt have better graphics in fact since its ps2 it plays at a lower res than on the pc. they also changed some of the level designs so it worked with the ps2. load times were ridiculously long so i would definitely get your pc version back. and dont get me started on the UI.

jtr7
26th Jun 2010, 06:18
Oh... Well now we need screenshots. :hmm:

Surely fans have already done this, and I just need to find the right search terms...

pringlepower
26th Jun 2010, 06:34
Lower res, new cinematics, aren't levels split into parts?

TheYouthCounselor
26th Jun 2010, 06:52
Here is something to give you a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1afiM0V07U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IqFsw3iPf4

As everyone already stated, levels are split up in the PS2 version, it's not so much entering gaps where loading screens occur, but entire fenced offed areas and rooms are added to divide the sections.The HUD is vastly different (It may be blasphemy but I prefer the style on the PS2 version.) as well as the tetris style inventory system had been simplified to slots. There is no shake on the sniper rifle when you zoom in, and IIRC no recoil on the guns. A big gameplay change is that there is no option to enter in usernames and passwords yourself since there is no keyboard, so you have to either hack it , find the one character who has access and is willing to cough it up, or find that one datapad that lists it. So a lot of the detective work is removed.

Basically all the gameplay and level design changes that were made to the franchise in Invisible War are here.

The positives include higher polygon models and resolution textures. But with mods and custom skins, the PC version boasts even more elaborate ones. Of course whether any of this looks better than the originals is all a matter of opinion. It also has FMV non gameplay cutscenes for the intro and epilogues.

Pinky_Powers
26th Jun 2010, 08:09
The positives include higher polygon models and resolution textures. But with mods and custom skins, the PC version boasts even more elaborate ones. Of course whether any of this looks better than the originals is all a matter of opinion. It also has FMV non gameplay cutscenes for the intro and epilogues.

Unless you specifically showed us inaccurate footage, then the PS2 version has profoundly lower resolution textures then the most basic PC edition. The lighting is quite a bit better on the Playstation, and models might be ever-so-slightly sharper, but not the textures. The textures were simply horrid.

JablesKage
26th Jun 2010, 08:17
the voiceover in the ps2 version of the game is so slow???

Dead-Eye
26th Jun 2010, 10:45
Texture Resolution has been reduced however polygon count has been increased, this is almost a universal trait in ports to PlayStation systems.

IcePure
26th Jun 2010, 11:50
Also I heard you can activate God mode after you beat the game.

You heard wrong, but you can cheat to activate God mode.

It doesnt have better graphics in fact since its ps2 it plays at a lower res than on the pc. they also changed some of the level designs so it worked with the ps2. load times were ridiculously long so i would definitely get your pc version back. and dont get me started on the UI.

It has higher poly count models (i.e Objects, NPCs), but I disagree on the texture thing - it actually for some reason seems to be the only PS2 game that seems to 'work' with HD TV (i.e you can't see all the 'JPEG' style pixel inaccuracies, and the textures look amazing on it. Load times were not rediculously long at all, it's about as long as it takes for a level on MW2 to load.

The HUD is vastly different (It may be blasphemy but I prefer the style on the PS2 version.) as well as the tetris style inventory system had been simplified to slots. There is no shake on the sniper rifle when you zoom in, and IIRC no recoil on the guns. A big gameplay change is that there is no option to enter in usernames and passwords yourself since there is no keyboard, so you have to either hack it , find the one character who has access and is willing to cough it up, or find that one datapad that lists it. So a lot of the detective work is removed.

Basically all the gameplay and level design changes that were made to the franchise in Invisible War are here.

Yes, there was simplified inventory (though since the PS2 version was the first I played, I had no idea at the time :rasp:), which basically let you have 20 of every item (Forties, Wine etc) that are just stored there like a member of the Fritzl family, and never used.

No shake on the sniper rifle? That's only right if you've mastered Rifle skill ;)
The weapon shaking and recoil on the weapons was not changed from PC to PS2.

Oddly enough, while you couldn't enter a password due to lack of a keyboard, I discovered by accident that the PS2 version actually has keyboard support! Seriously, plug a keyboard in and use either WASD or the arrow keys to move, crouch etc. No mouse support though. Wierd.

And of course, as stated before, some of the levels are very different, Wan Chai in particular, owing to the console's memory limitations, though I prefer the layout of the console version in some areas.

Some things that haven't been mentioned that were different:
- You didn't need to find a MedBot to install augs.
- You couldn't pick up an Augmentation Canister if either a) You already picked up the canister and have it in your inventory, or b) if it's already installed.
- You had a limit of four guns, but this could be GEP Gun, Plasma Rifle, Assault rifle and Shotgun and you'd have no adverse effects, and likewise, Pistols and Crossbows wouldn't give you any advantages - you had to pick four.
- You could carry all melee weapons and have no adverse effects - all of them went into the same 'slot'.
- You could carry the maximum number of all items, which stacked up in the same slot, and items stacked up on each other (i.e Forty: 10 instead of Forty, Forty, Soda, Forty)
- You could carry the maximum number of all grenades in one slot, like the items.
- JC Denton is the Black Haired, White Male version of himself; you have no choice as to his appearance.
- Although guessing logins and passwords has been mentioned, what wasn't is the fact you cannot guess Keycodes, so the very easy '22' code for that door in Wan Chai market has to either be found in a datacube or Multitooled.
- You had a bar of health - no body parts, meaning no crawling on your arms because you stepped on a LAM. On realistic, I felt it was harder than the PC version though.
- greasy green greasels

As an avid fan of Deus Ex, and an owner of both the PC and PS2 versions, I can assure you: the overall experience is the same. This was not an Invisible War dumbing down, though frankly I don't know why the inventory system couldn't be kept the way it was. It was still as deep, as entertaining, as 'challenging', and as great as a game as the PC version.

Deus_Ex_Machina
27th Jun 2010, 01:21
You heard wrong, but you can cheat to activate God mode.

It has higher poly count models (i.e Objects, NPCs), but I disagree on the texture thing - it actually for some reason seems to be the only PS2 game that seems to 'work' with HD TV (i.e you can't see all the 'JPEG' style pixel inaccuracies, and the textures look amazing on it. Load times were not rediculously long at all, it's about as long as it takes for a level on MW2 to load.

Yes, there was simplified inventory (though since the PS2 version was the first I played, I had no idea at the time :rasp:), which basically let you have 20 of every item (Forties, Wine etc) that are just stored there like a member of the Fritzl family, and never used.

No shake on the sniper rifle? That's only right if you've mastered Rifle skill ;)
The weapon shaking and recoil on the weapons was not changed from PC to PS2.

Oddly enough, while you couldn't enter a password due to lack of a keyboard, I discovered by accident that the PS2 version actually has keyboard support! Seriously, plug a keyboard in and use either WASD or the arrow keys to move, crouch etc. No mouse support though. Wierd.

And of course, as stated before, some of the levels are very different, Wan Chai in particular, owing to the console's memory limitations, though I prefer the layout of the console version in some areas.

Some things that haven't been mentioned that were different:
- You didn't need to find a MedBot to install augs.
- You couldn't pick up an Augmentation Canister if either a) You already picked up the canister and have it in your inventory, or b) if it's already installed.
- You had a limit of four guns, but this could be GEP Gun, Plasma Rifle, Assault rifle and Shotgun and you'd have no adverse effects, and likewise, Pistols and Crossbows wouldn't give you any advantages - you had to pick four.
- You could carry all melee weapons and have no adverse effects - all of them went into the same 'slot'.
- You could carry the maximum number of all items, which stacked up in the same slot, and items stacked up on each other (i.e Forty: 10 instead of Forty, Forty, Soda, Forty)
- You could carry the maximum number of all grenades in one slot, like the items.
- JC Denton is the Black Haired, White Male version of himself; you have no choice as to his appearance.
- Although guessing logins and passwords has been mentioned, what wasn't is the fact you cannot guess Keycodes, so the very easy '22' code for that door in Wan Chai market has to either be found in a datacube or Multitooled.
- You had a bar of health - no body parts, meaning no crawling on your arms because you stepped on a LAM. On realistic, I felt it was harder than the PC version though.
- greasy green greasels

As an avid fan of Deus Ex, and an owner of both the PC and PS2 versions, I can assure you: the overall experience is the same. This was not an Invisible War dumbing down, though frankly I don't know why the inventory system couldn't be kept the way it was. It was still as deep, as entertaining, as 'challenging', and as great as a game as the PC version.

Thank you for that very informative post.

I've ordered DX: The Conspiracy online for $10. If the overall experience is the same as you say, then it'll be $10 well spent, especially since I have no way to play the PC version (again, I'm on Mac).

ilweran
29th Jun 2010, 14:19

Possibly because you played the PS2 version first? I played the PC version first and found the differences annoying when I got lost. Sometimes the way the levels were chopped up led to slightly amusing circumstances, like (IIRC) at the cathedral where on the PC I jump up and down a bit outside a door then climb up some trellis or something and shoot/tranq the guards that come out. Tried that on the PS2 version, super cool agent jumping round like an idiot = nothing. Try it again, nothing happens. Use a lockpick, walk through the door, 'loading'. :rolleyes:

There was also less fun to be had sniping as the areas were smaller, although maybe that was a good thing as I learned to like using the baton and was generally a lot less lethal. I also missed the reflective floors and mirrors.

Still I enjoyed it and would say it's definitely worth a try.

singularity
29th Jun 2010, 17:58
Deus Ex The Conspiracy... wow, that brings back memories. Pretty much all the difference between PC and PS2 have been mentioned, but I'll agree that the PS2 version was a fantastic port. Very similar in many regards to the PC version, with the biggest changes being to the invintory and health systems.

While it was annoying that many of the levels were chopped into small parts (each one preceeded by a loading screen), I would recomend it to all DX fans, especially since some of the levels were completely changed (not just shortened, or chopped up, but completely different -- like the NY underground with the mole people, etc.) -- meaning you can experience some DX gameplay that you might have never seen.

True -- it is a little easier to manage, especially since you no longer have to manage you invintory -- you simply choose what 4 weapons you want to carry, and everything else you are free to pick up, generally. Also, passwords, nano keys, etc are all used automaticly once you have found them in the world. Other than that, it is just as fun and retains many of the things that made the PC version great.

If the PC version was a 9.8, Conspiracy would be a 9.2 and Invisible War would be an 7.3
Just my 2 cents.

bryt
29th Jun 2010, 18:11
My first time finishing Deus Ex was via the ps2 port...... i was stuck in a hospital with no computer in sight. I can vouch for it being overall the same experience (in the very general sense). But i'd be lying if i told you that the load times weren't a problem for me... the way the game is cut up into smaller pieces makes it feel somewhat more claustrophobic and you may begin dreading the next loading sequence with passion. Also, it requires a huge save file (by ps2 norms) and it takes a long time to load/save games. While I only play the PC GOTY version now, i still keep my ps2 copy for sentimental reasons.

Angel-A
29th Jun 2010, 18:34
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10193&start=0
That might be useful. It has lots of pictures.

jjc
3rd Jul 2010, 03:38
I may be a little late on my warning here. I picked up a copy for PS2 a while back because my PC disc walked off with a friend a number of years ago. I've been trying to play it and just getting frustrated. It has nothing necessarily to do with all the above mentioned differences, but instead with the PS2 controller. In general when played a FPS, I've never been able to operate a console controller as well as a mouse and keyboard. Even with the 360 controller, probably the best ever designed, I often end up spraying back and forth because I'm unable to settle the crosshairs just so. The PS controller is great for RPGs and other types of games, but absolutely sucks for FPS. As such, I can only ever get through half a level or so before I turn it off in frustration after falling off yet another ladder because I can't climb straight. On top of that, I'm playing on a hi-def TV and the upconversion looks absolutely horrific. All movement is just a blurry mess that makes me go cross-eyed. I realize you've already purchased your copy, but for anyone else thinking of it, Steam has DX GOTY for $10 and discounts it every once in a while.

ilweran
7th Jul 2010, 11:28
The PS controller is great for RPGs and other types of games, but absolutely sucks for FPS. As such, I can only ever get through half a level or so before I turn it off in frustration after falling off yet another ladder because I can't climb straight.

I had that. Kept veering off to the right and it was infuriating :mad2: