PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Warband Naming - Rules and Restrictions?

Tube_Reaver
29th Mar 2014, 13:30
Hello,

I was wondering what are the rules and restrictions on Warband names?

For example, say someone reserves the name "Legacy of Kain" Warband.
Can someone else reserve "Legacy_of_Kain" or "LegacyOfKain"?

In certain other games this wouldn't be allowed. So I was wondering if this is currently in place or not?

Spaces are allowed by the way, however any other info would be great such as:

-Word Limit
-Accepted characters (i.e. _ - , . ! ? )

Cheers.

RainaAudron
29th Mar 2014, 13:31
Yeah, that´s a very good question...

Khalith
29th Mar 2014, 13:44
Since "legacy of kain" is a copyrighted name I imagine any variation of it would be against the rules as would any name involving any video game character, movie, tv show, etc.

PencileyePirate
29th Mar 2014, 14:09
Since "legacy of kain" is a copyrighted name I imagine any variation of it would be against the rules as would any name involving any video game character, movie, tv show, etc.

This is not how copyrights work ... at all ...

For one, names can't be copyrighted. They're trademarked, while creative works (artwork, script, etc.) are copyrighted. And while I'm no lawyer, I'm pretty sure that trademarks can't prevent someone from using a name unless that individual is trying to profit off of it. Use of copyrighted material is different, but not relevant here.

Khalith
29th Mar 2014, 15:19
This is not how copyrights work ... at all ...

For one, names can't be copyrighted. They're trademarked, while creative works (artwork, script, etc.) are copyrighted. And while I'm no lawyer, I'm pretty sure that trademarks can't prevent someone from using a name unless that individual is trying to profit off of it. Use of copyrighted material is different, but not relevant here.

You know what I meant. Anyway, most games have specific rules against using trademarked or copyrighted names, i.e. star wars the old republic specifically forbid anyone from using a name from the series or anything else based on popular media and games, square enix didn't allow people to name themselves after final fantasy characters in their online games, etc. Sure some people do it anyway, but if you report their name the companies in question are usually pretty good on forcing those people to rename their characters, I don't see square enix changing their policy on names in this game.

cmstache
29th Mar 2014, 21:49
I checked the character limit when I made mine, I THINK it was 21 characters, but I don't remember for sure.

PencileyePirate
30th Mar 2014, 06:03
You know what I meant

I don't see square enix changing their policy on names in this game.

I wasn't being facetious if that's what you mean ... I was responding seriously to your comment. I wasn't aware of such a policy and I really don't think it's a problem, legally or otherwise. I suppose there could be something like that in the license agreement, but I don't see why.

Khalith
30th Mar 2014, 15:06
I suppose there could be something like that in the license agreement, but I don't see why.

Like I said above, Square Enix didn't want people using names owned by them in any capacity, for profit or not, their established rules were the players could not name their characters like that. It honestly doesn't matter if the players weren't trying to profit off it, it's just the rules SE decided. Now granted, maybe they changed their minds for this game, I don't know, I've seen plenty of people using names of characters from legacy of kain for their username and none of them have been forced to change it (to my knowledge), so maybe the name of the warband won't matter, barring obvious things such as profanity, racism, etc.