PDA

View Full Version : Is Deus Ex HR directx 11 and/or using physx?

nathanj
24th Jun 2010, 03:12
just wondering cause i dont know if my next card will be nvidia or ati. depends on how many games use physx.

Pinky_Powers
24th Jun 2010, 04:12
I've always gone for nVidia. But that's mostly due to familiarity. Also, they've hardly ever let me down... damn you 5500!

Icarus7
24th Jun 2010, 04:14
hmmm thats why im going to take it from ps3...those games isnt good to be risked at a pc

Pretentious Old Man.
24th Jun 2010, 04:41
I would be inclined to doubt it, not that I am informed. Mafia II and Mass Effect 2 are good examples of the kind of excellent PC releases graphically that you speak of.

Will Deus Ex 3 have these features? Impossible to say yet. I err on the side of scepticism.

Pinky_Powers
24th Jun 2010, 05:20
Most FPSs are using PhysicX now-a-days, aren't they?

ricwhite
24th Jun 2010, 05:22
Just as long as it works well with Eyefinity, I'll be happy. :D

Pretentious Old Man.
24th Jun 2010, 05:25
Most FPSs are using PhysicX now-a-days, aren't they?

That or Havok.

Pinky_Powers
24th Jun 2010, 05:33
That or Havok.

I thought PhysX was a hardware/software technology that worked with other in-game physics engines. I don't think it replaces them.

pringlepower
24th Jun 2010, 06:27
Well Mafia II for PC has better tech than consoles (forgot whether it was PhysX or something involving trenchcoats), hopefully DE:HR will take the same route

Pinky_Powers
24th Jun 2010, 06:42
Deus Ex - Human Revolution! 9 time GotY winner!
"...marvelous, billowing trench-coats that arouse heavy delusions of warmth and safety in the player."
"...invigorating conversations..."
"The f**ker wears shades at night!"

nathanj
24th Jun 2010, 08:16
well if nothing else i can always set up my 285 to act as a physics card if i do get an ATI. im waiting to see how much of an improvement the 485 card is before i buy it.

bukkit
24th Jun 2010, 10:01
its on consoles too = no DX10, no DX11 no nothing.
this game deserved so much to be a pc exclusive, with everything pc's can offer.

Pinky_Powers
24th Jun 2010, 11:16
its on consoles too = no DX10, no DX11 no nothing.

Not true. Crysis 2 shall be released on Console, and the PC version will be at least Direct3D 10... probably 11, to be honest.

bukkit
24th Jun 2010, 11:37
Not true. Crysis 2 shall be released on Console, and the PC version will be at least Direct3D 10... probably 11, to be honest.

yeah right, bioshock is also DX10 , assassins creed too ... but whats the difference in graphics between dx9 and dx10 ? yeah - NONE. the new avp has also a DX11 feature , but is it using it ? no (the dx11 unigine benchmark shows the dx11 power). crysis 2 is imo a fail, just a generic shooter , with no special graphics, considering its on a cryengine 3, yet there is little to no improvement compared to cryengine 2. if there is a multiplatform game , it never uses the full pc potential, all that pc gets is practically the same game with better textures resolution and framerate, and thats it

Ashpolt
24th Jun 2010, 11:45
^^ Bioshock has no difference between DX9 and DX10? What are you smoking? :S

Also, Just Cause 2 is multiplatform, and the PC version is DX10 or above only.

So I think it's safe to say DXHR will at least support DX11.

Pinky_Powers
24th Jun 2010, 11:51
yeah right, bioshock is also DX10 , assassins creed too ... but whats the difference in graphics between dx9 and dx10 ? yeah - NONE. the new avp has also a DX11 feature , but is it using it ? no (the dx11 unigine benchmark shows the dx11 power). crysis 2 is imo a fail, just a generic shooter , with no special graphics, considering its on a cryengine 3, yet there is little to no improvement compared to cryengine 2. if there is a multiplatform game , it never uses the full pc potential, all that pc gets is practically the same game with better textures resolution and framerate, and thats it

You've got a lot of research to do, my friend.

DX10 was a huge flop, and there is an actual reason for why. But DX11 has some real advancements, and AVP DOES take advantage of them.

As for Crysis 2. If you knew anything about Cryteck you'd know to expect some impressive $h1t from the PC version of that game. This is a company that has made its name off of furthering PC gaming technology.

So show a little respect you ignorant little bastard.

bukkit
24th Jun 2010, 11:51
^^ Bioshock has no difference between DX9 and DX10? What are you smoking? :S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs7GBZ0RYAA no major or minor difference what so ever
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/bioshock_directx10_performance/page4.asp -closer look

So I think it's safe to say DXHR will at least support DX11.
no it wont ;)

bukkit
24th Jun 2010, 11:54
But DX11 has some real advancements, and AVP DOES take advantage of them.

check the unigine tessalation for example, and the avp tessalation.

...furthering PC gaming technology.

... or make a lot of money on console market. decisions, decisions...

Pinky_Powers
24th Jun 2010, 12:09
... or make a lot of money on console market. decisions, decisions...

If they can do both, I say let them have it.

This is their very first cross-platform game. Every PC gamer owes it to Crytek to give them the chance to prove they won't forget which platform is superior. I don't care if you like their games or not. They've earned the benefit of the doubt.

The world isn't black and white; consoles aren't the enemy and money isn't bad. Be a man, and learn to give folk a chance to surprise you. Prepare inwardly for disappointment, but don't attack someone based solely on fear. It reveals how small and weak you are.

bukkit
24th Jun 2010, 12:17
If they can do both, I say let them have it.

This is their very first cross-platform game. Every PC gamer owes it to Crytek to give them the chance to prove they won't forget which platform is superior. I don't care if you like their games or not. They've earned the benefit of the doubt.

The world isn't black and white; consoles aren't the enemy and money isn't bad. Be a man, and learn to give folk a chance to surprise you. Prepare inwardly for disappointment, but don't attack someone based solely on fear. It reveals how small and weak you are.

what i was saying is that no multiplatform game uses the power of todays pc's ... crysis 1 did, as for the graphics theyve done everything right. and from what i saw at E3 the crysis 2 graphics arent that impressive. after watching the PC gameplay footage (pretending to be console footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCgUzLzrZo - 5:25) so my guess is that it would be practicaly the same port, with lower res textures and framerate on consoles.

and thats imho a huge dissapointement, cause if the guys at crytek would use the full dx11 potential, we would be reaching photorealism.

but on the topic. DXHR wont be using any of the fancy pc technology availible since its a multiplat. and if...it would be the same fail as bioshock's DX10 looking axactly like DX9. and btw: next time try to be more polite, and less offensive

Pinky_Powers
24th Jun 2010, 12:42
but on the topic. DXHR wont be using any of the fancy pc technology availible since its a multiplat. and if...it would be the same fail as bioshock's DX10 looking axactly like DX9. and btw: next time try to be more polite, and less offensive

There you go again. This concept is fundamentally flawed. There is nothing that says a developer can't add in Tessellation, or any new technology to the PC edition.

Your argument is that they tend not to... which is a valid point. But you talk about it as though it were a law.

Crysis 2 is going to blow you away on the PC. I'd bet money (if I had any) that it will utilize the most powerful new DX11 features... and do it better than any other game to date.

bukkit
24th Jun 2010, 12:59
There you go again. This concept is fundamentally flawed. There is nothing that says a developer can't add in Tessellation, or any new technology to the PC edition.

Your argument is that they tend not to... which is a valid point. But you talk about it as though it were a law.

Crysis 2 is going to blow you away on the PC. I'd bet money (if I had any) that it will utilize the most powerful new DX11 features... and do it better than any other game to date.

sure , developers can add any new technology to the PC, but in most cases (almost all cases) they wont, except some physX effects. or devs just say that it would be DX10/11 for the pc, but the truth is far away. the bioshock is a great example of this placebo dx10 effect. avp also , DX11 mark on the cover, auwfull graphics on the dvd.

dont get me wrong, i would love to see a fabulous pc version of crysis 2 (or any multiplatform game) on the pc but it wont happen, unless its a pc exclusive.
unfortunetly consoles are today the primary platform. and pc games suffer,cause of this fact

JablesKage
24th Jun 2010, 13:34
Nvidia is the only company that uses PhysX, however it is far to early to determine who will benefit? Its like asking for the game specs at the start of development...

Pinky_Powers
25th Jun 2010, 01:29
bioshock is a great example of this placebo dx10 effect.

Bioshock was developed as a DX9 game because DX10 didn't exist during it's creation. At the very last minute before release they threw in some DX10 water effects, but that's it. Very few titles get to work closely with Microsoft during the development of a new DirectX, so that they can come out simultaneously and work together in all possible wonder.

quantumtheo
25th Jun 2010, 13:21

Ok..... you said it yourself, better texture res, better frame rate those sound like differences to me.... AND i noticed in crysis going from dx9 to dx10 a HUGE difference in the lighting.... yikes..... anyways, i'm pretty sure they'll use the UT3 engine (think i've read that somewhere) which means dx10 for HR....

Pinky_Powers
25th Jun 2010, 13:29
Ok..... you said it yourself, better texture res, better framerate, AND i noticed in crysis going from dx9 to dx10 a HUGE difference in the lighting.... yikes..... anyways, i'm pretty sure they'll use the UT3 engine (think i've read that somewhere) which means at least dx10 for HR....

This post is very un-informed/misinformed.

Firstly, Crysis was PC-only. So that fits perfectly into what he was saying.

Second, Human Revolution is not using the UnrealEngine3. It's using the Tomb Raider Underworld engine.
Yes, I read that one article which reported HR was utilizing UE3. But they were wrong... and idiots.

Pinky_Powers
26th Jun 2010, 10:34
dont get me wrong, i would love to see a fabulous pc version of crysis 2 (or any multiplatform game) on the pc but it wont happen, unless its a pc exclusive.

I was diddlin' about and stumbled onto great news. Crytek are goodly game makers indeed. Their multi-platform tech, the CryENGINE3, already supports DirectX 11.

http://www.crytek.com/technology/cryengine-3/specifications/

One of their stated goals with Crysis2 PC edition is to topple Crysis 1's long-running visual supremacy.

Now, if only we had some news about Deus Ex's updated tech. :hmm:

K^2
26th Jun 2010, 11:30
Second, Human Revolution is not using the UnrealEngine3. It's using the Tomb Raider Underworld engine.
Heavily modified, updated, and re-optimized, I should add. It's not actually going to look or run like TRU.

Pinky_Powers
26th Jun 2010, 12:19
Quite right, man. The leaked gameplay footage revealed in its own gimped manner a deep atmosphere that lent itself graciously to the first-person perspective.

It was hard to be sure, as the video compression was rather hideous, but I believe there was depth-of-field and motion blur. The weapons were appropriately blurry like you'd see in Crysis. And they looked great when you brought up iron-sights.

Watching Adam walk around town, and especially The Hive, it was easy to forget it was a video game.