PDA

View Full Version : Will the PC and console versions have a completely different UI? Will it feel "porty"

free2game
21st Jun 2010, 19:25
I remember the big problem with Invisible War was how everything felt design around a console and just ported over to the PC with little thought. Now that I saw that E3 demo and saw that they were demoing it on the Xbox 360 (really disconcerting sign BTW), I have a feeling that it's being retooled into an Xbox 360 lead game and that the PC version will be an afterthought as so many multiplatform games are today. I just hope this doesn't go the same route as Invisible War, but as more and more info comes out for it, it seems like it. It almost seems like they're pretending that DX1-2 never happened. The Art style is really inconsistent, the level of nano technology is way too advanced, general technology looks way too advanced, they aren't using a number in the title, there's a cover system ripped off from a console game (rainbow six vegas), recharging health ripped off from a game designed around a console (COD2), and just everything feels off.

booheads
21st Jun 2010, 19:26
ugh i hope not. I really wanted to play this at a much higher resolution with max MSAA/AF.

Tecman
21st Jun 2010, 19:26
Oh cool, where did you see Nano Technology in this? I want to see it too!

(Nobody can say anything at this point, I mean the interface isn't even finalized yet)

3rdmillhouse
21st Jun 2010, 19:29
I remember the big problem with Invisible War was how everything felt design around a console and just ported over to the PC with little thought. Now that I saw that E3 demo and saw that they were demoing it on the Xbox 360 (really disconcerting sign BTW), I have a feeling that it's being retooled into an Xbox 360 lead game and that the PC version will be an afterthought as so many multiplatform games are today. I just hope this doesn't go the same route as Invisible War, but as more and more info comes out for it, it seems like it. It almost seems like they're pretending that DX1-2 never happened. The Art style is really inconsistent, the level of nano technology is way too advanced, general technology looks way too advanced, they aren't using a number in the title, there's a cover system ripped off from a console game (rainbow six vegas), recharging health ripped off from a game designed around a console (COD2), and just everything feels off.

You're nuts, there's no nanotechnology in this game. They're only considering the storyline from Deus Ex Conspiracy, not the tech displayed during the game, as it is outdated from a design standpoint (with the exception of nanomachines.)

free2game
21st Jun 2010, 19:30
ugh i hope not. I really wanted to play this at a much higher resolution with max MSAA/AF.

You can do that with any game. I'd like to see it actually use higher resolution textures, better graphics and all of that since my computer is a lot more powerful than a console AND bigger levels. That's not even what I'm talking about though.

booheads
21st Jun 2010, 19:31
You can do that with any game. I'd like to see it actually use higher resolution textures, better graphics and all of that since my computer is a lot more powerful than a console AND bigger levels. That's not even what I'm talking about though.

no i realize this, but what i meant by that was i didn't want to be forced to play it on my ps3 due to bad PC UI. (resulting in the lack of those things i mentioned)

free2game
21st Jun 2010, 19:31
You're nuts, there's no nanotechnology in this game. They're only considering the storyline from Deus Ex Conspiracy, not the tech displayed during the game, as it is outdated from a design standpoint.Did you see that video? How is it that everything has this more futuristic look to it than the first game and a lot of the tech is more advanced. There's VTOL craft ripped out of Ghost In The Shell instead of just slightly futuristic helicopters, the AUGs are a lot more powerful looking and let you do things you couldn't in the first game.

Tecman
21st Jun 2010, 19:37
Did you see that video? How is it that everything has this more futuristic look to it than the first game and a lot of the tech is more advanced. There's VTOL craft ripped out of Ghost In The Shell instead of just slightly futuristic helicopters, the AUGs are a lot more powerful looking and let you do things you couldn't in the first game.

Yes, and it's just a by-product of being a game developed in 2010 instead of some years before 2000. You have to balance keeping up the technology level as something that's plausibly possible in 17 years or so, and the tech level presented in a ten year old game. What do you want, 4:3 Televisions?

I mean I completely understand you, but it was bound to happen or you'd alienate the newer audience.

free2game
21st Jun 2010, 19:45
Yes, and it's just a by-product of being a game developed in 2010 instead of some years before 2000. You have to balance keeping up the technology level as something that's plausibly possible in 17 years or so, and the tech level presented in a ten year old game. What do you want, 4:3 Televisions?

I mean I completely understand you, but it was bound to happen or you'd alienate the newer audience.
Personal commercial jet powered VTOLs? That's not plausible technology in the next 17 years. Why do all of the guns look futuristic too? Firearms design hasn't changed that much in the past 30 years and it's not looking to change any time soon. A Fire and forget rocket that can fire straight out and quickly go over cover? One of the great things about the art design of DX1 was that everything wasn't super high tech, cities weren't futuristic looking, it made everything believable.

Tecman
21st Jun 2010, 19:50
Personal commercial jet powered VTOLs? That's not plausible technology in the next 17 years.

Of course it is, it's tech that already exists either in prototypes, military purposes (or on paper) that just isn't visible and/or in mass production, that's the whole point. It just isn't plausible in terms of the first game's universe as such since we're used to seeing helicopters.

And funnily enough, a gun-nut I talk to LOVED the guns, he essentially told me they look like what guns are heading into with today's designs, only taken to the extreme. Can't claim anything about the rocket, so you may be right there.

itsalladream
21st Jun 2010, 19:50
A Fire and forget rocket that can fire straight out and quickly go over cover?

I'm pretty sure that he shot it over the cover. And the idea of it being able to trace what he targeted isn't that hard to imagine.

free2game
21st Jun 2010, 19:56
Of course it is, it's tech that already exists either in prototypes, military purposes (or on paper) that just isn't visible and/or in mass production, that's the whole point. It just isn't plausible in terms of the first game's universe as such since we're used to seeing helicopters.

And funnily enough, a gun-nut I talk to LOVED the guns, he essentially told me they look like what guns are heading into with today's designs, only taken to the extreme. Can't claim anything about the rocket, so you may be right there.
We'll still be using the same guns 17 years from now is my point. Firearms design hasn't change that much over the past maybe 40-50 years or so.

ThePrecursor
21st Jun 2010, 20:14
Yes, but advances in technology throughout history have never been consistent, so you can't really predict what they'll use in 17 years.

Besides, this is a cyber-renaissance after all, which means they made big leaps on a scientific and technological level. This includes the weapons.

Kodaemon
21st Jun 2010, 20:20
Licensing existing guns was not an option, I guess, so instead of making clones, why not design something more original?
The guns don't look that outlandish, they just build upon modern trends.

jtr7
21st Jun 2010, 21:08
They're probably going with the George Lucas excuse that things are far more advanced all around (nearly so) because this is a time of prosperity (The Star Wars Prequels), before the dark times, before UNATCO and the attacks and terrorism depleted resources and things got clunky and simplified and more basic.

gamer0004
21st Jun 2010, 21:12
They're probably going with the George Lucas excuse that things are far more advanced all around (nearly so) because this is a time of prosperity (The Star Wars Prequels), before the dark times, before UNATCO and the attacks and terrorism depleted resources and things got clunky and simplified and more basic.

Which is bull****, since technology doesn't disappear within 25 years.

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Jun 2010, 21:15
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

There were no 4:3 screens in Deus Ex. If anything, they were even wider than 16:9 in ratio
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/gs/rpg/deusex/deusex_screen003.jpg

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by a Pretentious Old Man playing at running the world.

pringlepower
21st Jun 2010, 21:25
Well in DE they had the Chinese establish a freaking mining base on the freaking moon which shot freaking ore with a freaking mass driver at the Earth in a manner somehow safe enough to not killing millions (of course that didn't work out)

If that can happen by 2052, we can get a two-tiered Shanghai by 2027

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Jun 2010, 21:27
Well in DE they had the Chinese establish a freaking mining base on the freaking moon which shot freaking ore with a freaking mass driver at the Earth in a manner somehow safe enough to not killing millions (of course that didn't work out)

If that can happen by 2052, we can get a two-tiered Shanghai by 2027

The gentleman makes a valid point!;)

Tecman
21st Jun 2010, 21:30
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
There were no 4:3 screens in Deus Ex. If anything, they were even wider than 16:9 in ratio

Actually the issue was with TVs, not computers. :) Televisions in Deus Ex actually are 4:3.

pringlepower
21st Jun 2010, 21:38
The gentleman makes a valid point!;)

I regret using freaking so much in that sentence.

Anyways Deus Ex is set in the near future, but we can see how much the world has already changed since 2000. Thus, we need to adjust our perspective of the future, considering the technological advance of the past 10 years. I mean even back then Gunther and Anna looked ridiculous with those nasty arms.

Personally, in the war between reasonable retcon vs canon, I think retcon works, since the setting is the near future (obviously this wouldn't work for LOTR)

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Jun 2010, 21:42
I regret using freaking so much in that sentence.

Anyways Deus Ex is set in the near future, but we can see how much the world has already changed since 2000. Thus, we need to adjust our perspective of the future, considering the technological advance of the past 10 years. I mean even back then Gunther and Anna looked ridiculous with those nasty arms.

Personally, in the war between reasonable retcon vs canon, I think retcon works, since the setting is the near future (obviously this wouldn't work for LOTR)

No, I meant YOU made a valid point! ;)

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Jun 2010, 21:43
Actually the issue was with TVs, not computers. :) Televisions in Deus Ex actually are 4:3.

Ah, true. Although if memory serves, the only TVs I recall were the gigantic ones on the wall, like Projector screens. They are still 4:3 today.

Although your point stands:cool:

pringlepower
21st Jun 2010, 21:48
No, I meant YOU made a valid point! ;)

Oh yay. People so rarely agree with me. I feel special:cool:

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Jun 2010, 21:52
Oh yay. People so rarely agree with me. I feel special:cool:

You are special! :flowers:

Ashpolt
21st Jun 2010, 22:00

This is because televisions in the future have developed past widescreen into "tallscreen." Where widescreen added more to each side of the picture, tallscreen takes the existing widescreen picture and adds more to the top and bottom. The end result is 4:3.

Irate_Iguana
21st Jun 2010, 22:04
We'll still be using the same guns 17 years from now is my point. Firearms design hasn't change that much over the past maybe 40-50 years or so.

Assault rifle was a straight up FAMAS clone. The pistol looked like an USP slide or a SIG. Weapons looked pretty normal in the gameplay vid. There was some outrageous weaponry in the concept art, but the question is how that will look in the game.

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Jun 2010, 22:09
This is because televisions in the future have developed past widescreen into "tallscreen." Where widescreen added more to each side of the picture, tallscreen takes the existing widescreen picture and adds more to the top and bottom. The end result is 4:3.

And thus was the circuitous nature of innovation revealed. Amen.

free2game
22nd Jun 2010, 02:28

I don't see it as plausible. Most of the commercially owned helicopters around today are designs that are sourced back from the 60s-70s. A lot of technology hasn't improved that much over the last half decade or so. Computers yes, but is there a driving force in commercial aviation that's going to push companies to want to buy jet powered VTOLs in the next 17 years? Not really.

pringlepower
22nd Jun 2010, 02:33
I don't see it as plausible. Most of the commercially owned helicopters around today are designs that are sourced back from the 60s-70s. A lot of technology hasn't improved that much over the last half decade or so. Computers yes, but is there a driving force in commercial aviation that's going to push companies to want to buy jet powered VTOLs in the next 17 years? Not really.

Well Sarif's one of the most successful companies in the world. Who knows

TheYouthCounselor
22nd Jun 2010, 02:48
Assault rifle was a straight up FAMAS clone. The pistol looked like an USP slide or a SIG. Weapons looked pretty normal in the gameplay vid. There was some outrageous weaponry in the concept art, but the question is how that will look in the game.

^^^^This

To those saying the guns look and act too futuristic what was so far fetched about the guns? The pistol is a real life HK USP, the rifle is a real life FAMAS, the SMG shown in screenshots is a HK MP7/Steyr TMP hybrid, and as for that "magical fire and forget RPG?" That's how modern day heat seeking SAMs and portable infared ATGMs work. These aren't even prototypes either but production level fielded weapons.

The original Deus Ex on the other hand had far fetched weapons. Aside from the pistol which is a 10mm Glock* every firearm was fictitious.

*The assault shotgun was loosely based off of a Stryker and Jackhammer Automatic Shotgun.

pringlepower
22nd Jun 2010, 02:53
I mean we have Javelin missile launchers that lock on, then fire straight upwards and then nosedive into their target
The world is not as low-tech as you think.

TheYouthCounselor
22nd Jun 2010, 03:16

To be able to land vertically on a limited area but still fly as fast as a plane? Is there a company that wouldn't love to be able to do that. If the company has the money or if the aircraft is affordable why not?

And as for the VTOL aircraft, the B-EE looks like the V-22 Osprey in principle only, that it uses tiltable jets instead of nacelle rotors. The design aspect with the spreading landing gear looks much like what I (http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/top-ten-flying-cars/) found (http://www.automotto.org/entry/10-concept-cars-to-drive-us-in-the-future/) on these (http://www.automotto.org/entry/yee-flying-car-concept-is-a-new-paradigm-for-future-transportation/) pages (http://www.automotto.org/entry/mit-s-folding-car-concept-is-best-ride-for-cramped-spaces/) with a quick Google search.

But I can see where you're going with this. The technology is for sure more advanced looking than Deus Ex 1's. Then again much of the technology we have today...hell in 2000 looked more advanced than Deus Ex 1's. I hate to beat the dead horse's skeleton, but it's a trait inherent in every sucessful sci-fi franchise prequel. As the popularity grows so does the budget and number of people working on art, so imagination and concepts are less limited. Also as time passes, technology grows and we design from our vision of the future today instead of the vision of the future from the past.

Still you do have a valid point about the aircraft. The Osprey took what? Since the 1980's to develop and they're finally being used? How much have commericial aircraft changed since the 70's? But then again, private aviation has advanced quite a bit with ultralights and plush sleek cabins. Also, all someone has to do now that the tricky part of making an aircraft with the hybrid features of a helicopter and turboprop plane has passed is how to put a jet engine and modern ultralight designs on it.

pringlepower
22nd Jun 2010, 03:42
Here's the thing though. The Osprey was developed in the 80s, and they were used in the 80s. Who's to say the B-EE wasn't developed in 2024?

ArcR
22nd Jun 2010, 03:52
There is nanotech in this game. It is a focal point.

demon boy
22nd Jun 2010, 04:02
The two-tiered city and VTOL helicoptor seem slightly optomistic considering the timeframe of the story but then again, that's the nature of cyberpunk. Blade Runner was made in 1983 and depicted Los Angeles with giant pyramids and an entire traffic system in the sky (yet people still used pay-phones with chords). It is impossible to predict the future and VTOL technology is already a possiblity. One wouldn't have to stretch too far to imagine an impetus for implementation within the next 15 years. Also you have to consider the possibility that, as an employee for a cutting-edge tech firm, Adam's pilot is not exactly flying a cookie-cutter aircraft.