PDA

View Full Version : Remember, this is pre-alpha footage!!!

ThePrecursor
21st Jun 2010, 16:27
First of all, to the people who are complaining about the (lack of) smoothness of the transitions between FPS and TPS, the facial animations, the abundance of cutscenes etc. remember this is a pre-alpha build according to EM (at least that's what they told the journalists that got to watch the gameplay at E3) so they may tweak just about at anything at such a stage (since pre-alpha is literally before they thoroughly test the game through). I too am not too keen on some of the negative sides of the leaked footage, but I keep in mind that it's an early build and EM might want to swap some things around a bit in the end. I suggest (I know I'm not really in the right position to) you do the same, instead of rage-posting (not saying you all do that, of course;)). Naturally you are allowed to post whatever you think of the leaked vids, but if you decide to address whatever you do not approve of, than I guess you should try to keep it as mature possible instead of turning it into a rant if you want to be taken seriously.

Now, EM most certainly knows that we know about the leaked footage, so I'm sure they'll also keep an eye on the feedback it gets. I'm not saying they will take out an entire mechanic just because the people on their forums disagree with it, but if enough people say they don't like a certain aspect of what they saw, then EM will at least consider changing it.

Thanks for reading this post,

Cheers~

Oddness
21st Jun 2010, 16:32
Nothing will change. It will be more polished, sure, but the basic mechanics will be the same and that's what a lot of people are furious about.

ArcR
21st Jun 2010, 16:33
How about Eidos Montreal comes out from the shadows and stops posting through proxy soldiers registered today.

ZakKa89
21st Jun 2010, 16:34
Nothing will change. It will be more polished, sure, but the basic mechanics will be the same and that's what a lot of people are furious about.

That's not true, just a few I think.

Blade_hunter
21st Jun 2010, 16:35
I second Oddness.

ThePrecursor
21st Jun 2010, 16:35
We'll see. I'm not saying that's untrue, but I'm a 100% sure that polishing the game isn't the only thing they will do before releasing it. There's a large gap between pre-alpha and release-ready and that gap isn't just filled through polishing.

And no I'm not from Eidos -.-

3rdmillhouse
21st Jun 2010, 16:36

That's is not true.

Anasumtj
21st Jun 2010, 16:41

Didn't say a majority. Said "a lot".

Don't dismiss us so easily.

That's is not true.

That bolded bit has a context around it, you know.

Oddness
21st Jun 2010, 16:46

You think it's only a few people that don't like the idea of running up to two guys and hitting a button to watch an elaborate cutscene fight?

I would venture to say that most people want to feel like a badass through skillful play rather than watching cutscenes.

xaduha
21st Jun 2010, 16:50
We have to try to influence them, don't we?
How about clear, checklist-type sticky post or a wiki page?
Demands list, something we can point to, if need be :)

ZakKa89
21st Jun 2010, 16:51
I meant that that it's just a few people that are really furious about the "basic mechanics"

Rindill the Red
21st Jun 2010, 16:53
Forget a "demands" list. Let's make a LIST OF GRIEVANCES in which we line out in an orderly fashion every way we believe that Eidos has harmed its gamers or the Deus Ex IP. Then we get Jack Shandy to illustrate and FrankCSIS to narrate.

ArcR
21st Jun 2010, 17:12
I think it's just 3rd person, cut scenes, and takedowns, no? What other problems are there?

SageSavage
21st Jun 2010, 17:20
Forget a "demands" list. Let's make a LIST OF GRIEVANCES in which we line out in an orderly fashion every way we believe that Eidos has harmed its gamers or the Deus Ex IP. Then we get Jack Shandy to illustrate and FrankCSIS to narrate.

I suggest something like the Moscow Declaration. I think that might be appropriate.

Deus_Ex_Machina
21st Jun 2010, 19:19
How about Eidos Montreal comes out from the shadows and stops posting through proxy soldiers registered today.

I'm starting to think you're right about EM/Squeenix false flagging on the forums. Very disturbing and pathetic if it's true.

booheads
21st Jun 2010, 19:23
takedowns and special augmoves all result in the loss of your character control and constant viewpoint changing (1st to 3rd every few seconds)

this is annoying and not what i'd think a DX game would have.

Rindill the Red
21st Jun 2010, 19:27
I'm starting to think you're right about EM/Squeenix false flagging on the forums. Very disturbing and pathetic if it's true.

Lol's. You have an aggrandized view of your own importance, if you think EM/SE would waste time trying to buff themselves up to a few DX original fans. I doubt they check these forums at all.

Dead-Eye
21st Jun 2010, 20:14
It doesn't really matter. The gameplay highlights the design philosophy that is behind this game and the design philosophy is not the one that was used to make the original game. Even if it is an Alpha and a lot of stuff gets changed we are still going to have an abundance of 3ed person moments, we are still going to have cutscenes, and in general we are still going to have a game that is catering to the whatever the industry thinks good games are today instead of catering to what Deus Ex has proven a good game is.

All we can really do at this point is hope that this game helps us to achieve a better Deus Ex game in the future. That's only if this game sells well; which I can almost guarantee it will given the Media hype. Sadly that means that everyone is going to think Deus Ex is all about cutscenes and 3ed person take downs insuring that a GOOD Deus Ex game is never going to be made. At lest until the industry get's is head out of it's ass...

...and that won't happen until the N.W.O. completely fails in it's attempt to take over the world. Cuzz money ant worth S***.

ThePrecursor
21st Jun 2010, 20:17
Speak for yourself Dead-Eye, what you think isn't instantly (nor shall it ever be) fact.

ShadowXOR
21st Jun 2010, 20:26
They showed a pre-alpha build, but the game is supposed to be out in roughly 6-9 months and we haven't even hit an alpha build yet? Let alone time for beta testing?

Tecman
21st Jun 2010, 20:34
That's why I'm realistically expecting it out towards the end of 2011, not the start.

I don't mind waiting longer if it means the final product will be better off.

jtr7
21st Jun 2010, 20:46
The demo was pre-alpha, made separately, branching off into it's own little production cycle, starting some time back before E3 when it was an upcoming deadline for them, so they included all the changes they made to hide things, script things differently, and all the added augs to show off in the few selected scenarios, to create a smorgasbord of possibilities. We don't know what state the real game is at right now, and if the call for more playtesters is any indication of an alpha build, or not.

They were already granted a generous extension and they've announced their intentions, which, as you know, is rare for them, to state new things without confidence in their statements first.

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 20:52
Who's supplying your info? I want his name. You're suggesting that the real game is in fact a separate enterprise? I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it holds dihydrogen monoxide.

jtr7
21st Jun 2010, 20:52
I doubt they check these forums at all.

Okay.

hem dazon 90
21st Jun 2010, 20:57

http://evanbroderick.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/tinfoil-hat1.jpg

jtr7
21st Jun 2010, 21:00
The demo was, in fact, modified for E3 (Haven't you heard? Pick a thread, or review.), and someone had to modify it, and it had to not give away all secrets, and it had to show off more than will actually be available. Perhaps you have some reviews and statements to catch up on?

Surely they didn't have a full copy of the current game at E3, with just cheat codes, and and CFG/INI lines commented out to start and stop the demo and jump it from the middle of one mission scenario to scenario. You know that right?

AaronJ
21st Jun 2010, 21:03

Greatest quote in board history.

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 21:03
yeah, so I haven't read everything, it's true. But that's not my point. I can't imagine that the game that is being developed outside of E3 could look fundamentally different from the demo which they have already shown. But it would be futile to try and argue my point further, cause we don't have access to that.

KSingh77
21st Jun 2010, 21:05
Remember:Eidos has more power then the gamer,everyone is fighting to see gameplay,for control.

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Jun 2010, 21:07
I suggest...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2iazjuv.png

...A BOMB!

Ilves
21st Jun 2010, 21:14
First of all, to the people who are complaining about the (lack of) smoothness of the transitions between FPS and TPS, the facial animations, the abundance of cutscenes etc. remember this is a pre-alpha build according to EM (at least that's what they told the journalists that got to watch the gameplay at E3) so they may tweak just about at anything at such a stage (since pre-alpha is literally before they thoroughly test the game through). I too am not too keen on some of the negative sides of the leaked footage, but I keep in mind that it's an early build and EM might want to swap some things around a bit in the end. I suggest (I know I'm not really in the right position to) you do the same, instead of rage-posting (not saying you all do that, of course;)). Naturally you are allowed to post whatever you think of the leaked vids, but if you decide to address whatever you do not approve of, than I guess you should try to keep it as mature possible instead of turning it into a rant if you want to be taken seriously.

Now, EM most certainly knows that we know about the leaked footage, so I'm sure they'll also keep an eye on the feedback it gets. I'm not saying they will take out an entire mechanic just because the people on their forums disagree with it, but if enough people say they don't like a certain aspect of what they saw, then EM will at least consider changing it.

Thanks for reading this post,

Cheers~

So? Get to polishing! ;) Seeing the leaked clips has mellowed me somewhat on EM's decision not to publish any in-game material during E3. The leaked foortage looked indeed very unfinished, especially 1st-3rd person switches, PC movement. Even 1st person movement didn't look all that.

Kodaemon
21st Jun 2010, 21:20
Fundamentally different? No. More polished? Most definitely.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Jun 2010, 21:22
They showed a pre-alpha build, but the game is supposed to be out in roughly 6-9 months and we haven't even hit an alpha build yet? Let alone time for beta testing?

I hate to state the obvious, but merged into existing discussion thread.

Pinky_Powers
21st Jun 2010, 21:29
I hate to state the obvious, but merged into existing discussion thread.

The examples of your power cower me ever into a fear-posture.

Rindill the Red
21st Jun 2010, 22:51
Yeah, it's just a pre-alpha showcase.

I'm sure if Warren Spector had made a pre-alpha showcase of DX's game mechanics it would have gotten a lot of crap.

It wasn't just DX's game mechanics that made it great. It was the way everything came together, especially the characters and storyline and world interactivity.

Great_Ragnarok
21st Jun 2010, 23:11
dude get rid of the 3rd person takedowns and please render them from 1st person view.
That way the flow of the gameplay will stay consistent, instead of pausing the gameplay
for a 3-4 second movie clip.

Dead-Eye
21st Jun 2010, 23:24
Speak for yourself Dead-Eye, what you think isn't instantly (nor shall it ever be) fact.

Well you obviously know something I don't. :poke:

booheads
21st Jun 2010, 23:27
dude get rid of the 3rd person takedowns and please render them from 1st person view.
That way the flow of the gameplay will stay consistent, instead of pausing the gameplay
for a 3-4 second movie clip.

Sorry to make matter worse for you, but they don't only happen for takedowns.

they also occur when using AUG specials, climbing ladders, and randomly during missions for scripted sequences. (non dialouge based).

:mad2:

Marses
21st Jun 2010, 23:39

they also occur when using AUG specials, climbing ladders, and randomly during missions for scripted sequences. (non dialouge based).

What are you gaining by being close-minded towards anyone who likes it and posting the same things over and over? Does third person upset you that greatly you feel the need to vent about a game you've said you're not going to play? Why not just take a step from the keyboard and relax?

Deus_Ex_Machina
21st Jun 2010, 23:43
When Codemasters presented in-game footage at E3 for OFPDR, they said it was a very early build and was not representative of the final product. Long story short, they lied.

I'm not saying this will necessarily be the case with DXHR, but it won't surprise me if it is.

Great_Ragnarok
21st Jun 2010, 23:45

Dude for all we know 3rd person stealth might be an augmentation special.
remember the drone augmentation in DX1? maybe the drone aug in this game,
allows you to monitor enemies close to you. That way you can pace yourself without
getting caught or having to take silly risks by peeking over walls.

Dead-Eye
22nd Jun 2010, 07:31
When Codemasters presented in-game footage at E3 for OFPDR, they said it was a very early build and was not representative of the final product. Long story short, they lied.

I'm not saying this will necessarily be the case with DXHR, but it won't surprise me if it is.

I have lost hope.

Ubersuntzu
22nd Jun 2010, 07:36

A lot? It's pretty much the same 5-10 people.

Serendipitous
22nd Jun 2010, 07:56
A lot? It's pretty much the same 5-10 people.

Those 5-10 vocal people represent many more people. I, for example, usually stay silent because I don't really have anything substantial to add, and agree with what most people feel. I'm wouldn't say I'm furious though, more like uneasy/cautious/hopeful/excited.

Sulix
22nd Jun 2010, 08:37
Same goes for the people not concerned about this, so the relative amount stays the same...

Tverdyj
22nd Jun 2010, 12:34
I think it's just 3rd person, cut scenes, and takedowns, no? What other problems are there?

you forgot Health regen.....