PDA

View Full Version : Important question on Dx3, concerning water based vehicles

Rappy
21st Jun 2010, 16:19
Hi all,

I'm sure a lot of people are wondering this and it's a fairly important question not addressed in interviews/footage.

Will there be issues with getting in the boat if your character is told to leave via one ?
Or has this been fixed by removing water altogether as it was handled in Dx2 ?

Also since you can only punch through walls you can't enter a boat that way either because they're metal.

Thoughts, suggestions, speculations ?

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 16:21
wut

3rdmillhouse
21st Jun 2010, 16:23
wut

I second that post.

Ilves
21st Jun 2010, 16:24
I'm calling dev on a trollingspree. No?

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 16:27
trolling on horse tranquilizers no doubt

ArcR
21st Jun 2010, 16:30
Rookies take note: this is what good trolling looks like.

ZakKa89
21st Jun 2010, 16:31
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/1072/original/Trollface.png

Manho221
21st Jun 2010, 16:35
lol rap :D

It was a known issue/bug (if you can call it that) with the warez/bootleg copy of DX1 that when you tried to get on the boat early in the game to leave Liberty Island you could not. the game for some reason in the bootleg version would just stall there and not allow the player to leave in the boat and you could progress no further.

What would happen next was those people would come to the Ion Storm forums (maker of the game) where Rappy and myself were members. They would ask how to get on the boat. We of course knew they had not bought the game and would tell them all kinds of crap to screw with them. It was a running joke for a couple years with the first DX game.

The rest of the stuff is him messing around. Nice to see you made it brother :thumb:

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 16:36
I'm gonna have nightmares after looking at that line art.

Rappy
21st Jun 2010, 16:46
Ah Manho, you have to ruin it all with your wise explanations and logical sterile approach :D

I do hope that Dx3 will feature a similar "anti-warez" mechanism somewhere, just a simple one, but enough to make any pirate who gets stuck and comes to the forum for help to be instantly ridiculed and dragged around searching for hidden containers 3 miles off the coast :D

Manho221
21st Jun 2010, 16:49
Ah Manho, you have to ruin it all with your wise explanations and logical sterile approach :D

I do hope that Dx3 will feature a similar "anti-warez" mechanism somewhere, just a simple one, but enough to make any pirate who gets stuck and comes to the forum for help to be instantly ridiculed and dragged around searching for hidden containers 3 miles off the coast :D

I sorry :D I had almost forgotten about the boat myself, good refresher :thumb:

MaxxQ1
21st Jun 2010, 17:07

It was a known issue/bug (if you can call it that) with the warez/bootleg copy of DX1 that when you tried to get on the boat early in the game to leave Liberty Island you could not. the game for some reason in the bootleg version would just stall there and not allow the player to leave in the boat and you could progress no further.

What would happen next was those people would come to the Ion Storm forums (maker of the game) where Rappy and myself were members. They would ask how to get on the boat. We of course knew they had not bought the game and would tell them all kinds of crap to screw with them. It was a running joke for a couple years with the first DX game.

The rest of the stuff is him messing around. Nice to see you made it brother :thumb:

Well, he didn't give away Superfly Johnson, and how to find him, so he didn't *completely* spoil the fun.

Still, the Picard/Riker double facepalm pic would have killed the ISA forum bandwidth back in those days had it been around then.

Manho221
21st Jun 2010, 17:13
Well, he didn't give away Superfly Johnson, and how to find him, so he didn't *completely* spoil the fun.

Still, the Picard/Riker double facepalm pic would have killed the ISA forum bandwidth back in those days had it been around then.

Ok, who is this ? lol

MaxxQ1
21st Jun 2010, 17:27
Ok, who is this ? lol

You don't remember the elaborate "How to find Superfly Johnson to get him to let you on the boat" posts for the warezers?

I can't remember any specifics, but some of these things were freaking hilarious, having people trying to do things that were pretty much impossible, and searching for hidden openings that weren't there. A lot of warez users were getting frustrated because they didn't catch on soon enough, and were like, "I can't find the secret door that I was told would lead to Superfly!!!!11111oneoneoneone"

The peeps I felt most sorry for though, were the ones who got the "Special Limited Edition" version of DX. You remember that one? The one that you could buy in stores for $10, and found out later was *literally* limited, as in the game ended in Hong Kong?

Manho221
21st Jun 2010, 17:32
You don't remember the elaborate "How to find Superfly Johnson to get him to let you on the boat" posts for the warezers?

I can't remember any specifics, but some of these things were freaking hilarious, having people trying to do things that were pretty much impossible, and searching for hidden openings that weren't there. A lot of warez users were getting frustrated because they didn't catch on soon enough, and were like, "I can't find the secret door that I was told would lead to Superfly!!!!11111oneoneoneone"

The peeps I felt most sorry for though, were the ones who got the "Special Limited Edition" version of DX. You remember that one? The one that you could buy in stores for $10, and found out later was *literally* limited, as in the game ended in Hong Kong?

No I meant Who are you ? What was your nic back then ? Yeah I remember all that stuff good fun sending some poor goof off to find people that don't exist only for him to come back hours/days later to proclaim he could not find Superfly Johnson or whomever he was told at the time.

And yeah The Limited edition was named that because it was limited in gameplay :lol:

Rappy
21st Jun 2010, 17:35
Oh man, good memory there, I had forgotten that one (blame booze) :lol:

I guess Manho wanted to identify you from the ION forums, surely such good plans and memories could only be remembered from someone from back then.

I wonder if anyone collected all the various "advices" of getting on the boat ? It would be a good read now.

Kodaemon
21st Jun 2010, 17:39
Also since you can only punch through walls you can't enter a boat that way either because they're metal.

This got me thinking. Adam uses his fists to break walls, and chairs to break windows (remind me never to invite him to a party). So what would he use for metal?

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 17:46
Weakly interacting massive particles. They should pass right through the stuff.

Having metal walls remain un-breakable might be intentional, however. Think of how Portal increased difficulty by removing concrete walls through which one may spawn a portal. Additionally, being able to break through metal walls may drain a significantly greater amount of bio-energy. But at this point, who can say how intelligent the game is going to be.

Darkhelm
21st Jun 2010, 17:49
Ah, the boat, Superfly Johnson...this brings back memories of good chuckles back in the day :D

3rdmillhouse
21st Jun 2010, 17:55
This got me thinking. Adam uses his fists to break walls, and chairs to break windows (remind me never to invite him to a party). So what would he use for metal?

His pecker, it's augmented.

Rappy
21st Jun 2010, 18:07
http://s3.amazonaws.com/estock/fspid6/438600/welder-welding-heat-438698-l.jpg

Dx3 Protagonist at work infiltrating a metal wall

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 18:10
Course, AJ's nipples would act as welding torches.

Reminds me of the cover of one of my favorite albums.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd800/d880/d88006ed757.jpg

Kodaemon
21st Jun 2010, 18:14
It's times like these the goggles come in handy.
<-------------------------'

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 18:22
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/08/riddick-goggles-ineffective.jpg

Kodaemon
21st Jun 2010, 18:25
Mine don't do anything either, but at least they look cooler than his :cool:

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 18:29
But Riddick has such beautiful eyes.

Rappy
21st Jun 2010, 18:35
But he can't punch through walls also no hidden metal in his arms. Which does make travelling by plane easier for him...

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 18:42
^^ no hidden metal, you say?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100110020128/riddick/images/thumb/a/a1/Ulaks.JPG/180px-Ulaks.JPG

Kodaemon
21st Jun 2010, 18:44
They don't pop out of his arms though, do they?

Rappy
21st Jun 2010, 18:47
Yah those have to be hidden "manually" :D

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 18:47
Sadly, I do not think that they do.

Badmaker
21st Jun 2010, 19:02
Those kulaks are WAY bettah the hidden AC style blade.

MaxxQ1
22nd Jun 2010, 07:00
No I meant Who are you ? What was your nic back then ? Yeah I remember all that stuff good fun sending some poor goof off to find people that don't exist only for him to come back hours/days later to proclaim he could not find Superfly Johnson or whomever he was told at the time.

And yeah The Limited edition was named that because it was limited in gameplay :lol:

Oh man, good memory there, I had forgotten that one (blame booze) :lol:

I guess Manho wanted to identify you from the ION forums, surely such good plans and memories could only be remembered from someone from back then.

I wonder if anyone collected all the various "advices" of getting on the boat ? It would be a good read now.

Ooops! I guess I misunderstood the question. <duh>

Same nick now as back then, minus the "1". I wasn't a prolific poster there, and when I did have something to say, it wasn't much in the way of memorable - usually just agreeing or disagreeing with some point or other without being confrontational or ass-kissing. Pretty much how I am now, as well. :rasp:

The only thing I have saved from those days is MurderKing's parody of the Page/Simons dialogue from the prologue of DX, replacing P/S with Spector and Harvey Smith talking about Invisible War. In fact, I posted that here a week or two ago. Don't recall which thread, though...

Found it. Here's the post:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1409994&postcount=64

...and here's the thread:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109665

Dead-Eye
22nd Jun 2010, 07:44

Wow... you sure know allot about some guy who has only been here a day or two...

Seems like you haven't been here long yourself... :poke:

MaxxQ1
22nd Jun 2010, 08:05
Wow... you sure know allot about some guy who has only been here a day or two...

Not sure if you're being facetious, or are genuinely interested, but I remember Rappy from those days (and I might remember Manho if I knew his name from then - if it was the same, then, sorry dude, I don't remember you :confused: ).

As for the time they've been here, it's quite possible they have been lurking for the past couple years, and only now decided they had any information on the game worth commenting on. Of course, it's also possible they just recently heard about DX:HR, but unless they've been without internet access for the past three years, I kinda doubt that.

I've actually been expecting a lot of the old ISA folks to start showing up, although I couldn't name-drop any of them at the moment, as I'm an old fart with a short memory.

Manho221
22nd Jun 2010, 08:21

Ok here is the deal, Rappy and myself have known each other since DX1 when we were on the boards at Ion Storm. We talk everyday at our own private message board that several of us from the old Ion Storm boards set up after IS closed down. So basically there is a group of us that have been posting together since the release of the first game. It started as quite a few. Some have left over time. Others come and go. It's a small tight group. It's closed to the public not visible. We spent what 2-3 years on Ion Storm boards ?? I can't remember.

My nic at Ion boards was Manwhore, Duece Bigalow was a poular movie back when DX1 came out and it happened to be on the night I signed up for the boards at IS and I needed a nic :D

Expect some others from the past will be lingering over as the game draws closer. Random who is a mod on one of the other Eidos boards here is also a member of our little group. (name drop) LOL

Hope that explains things for you. Thats the kind of power DX1 had. It has held a group together for 10 years give or take a little :lol: We still sit there are argue about DX2 all the time. Well not argue mostly b**** :lol:

Rappy
22nd Jun 2010, 08:22
Ooops! I guess I misunderstood the question. <duh>

Same nick now as back then, minus the "1". I wasn't a prolific poster there, and when I did have something to say, it wasn't much in the way of memorable - usually just agreeing or disagreeing with some point or other without being confrontational or ass-kissing. Pretty much how I am now, as well. :rasp:

The only thing I have saved from those days is MurderKing's parody of the Page/Simons dialogue from the prologue of DX, replacing P/S with Spector and Harvey Smith talking about Invisible War. In fact, I posted that here a week or two ago. Don't recall which thread, though...

Found it. Here's the post:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1409994&postcount=64

...and here's the thread:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109665

My memory has never been the best, I do remember that parody though, genious.

And I do hope for some oldies to start showing up as well. It was all ripped apart when the forums closed and everyone had to move somewhere. There was an unfortunate merger of crowd but that didn't work out too well..

EDIT: I'm getting slow, by the time I get my post in part of the information is already dated...

I'm glad my initial entry troll turned out to be a part of the reunion, Dx3 seems to be worthy of that.
Most, like us, have probably been just lurking, consuming the information but being too afraid to get excited over any of it. It might be time to give in to that now though :)

Manho221
22nd Jun 2010, 08:27
Not sure if you're being facetious, or are genuinely interested, but I remember Rappy from those days (and I might remember Manho if I knew his name from then - if it was the same, then, sorry dude, I don't remember you :confused: ).

As for the time they've been here, it's quite possible they have been lurking for the past couple years, and only now decided they had any information on the game worth commenting on. Of course, it's also possible they just recently heard about DX:HR, but unless they've been without internet access for the past three years, I kinda doubt that.

I've actually been expecting a lot of the old ISA folks to start showing up, although I couldn't name-drop any of them at the moment, as I'm an old fart with a short memory.

It's ok man to not remember there were alot of folks there. Remember the daily threads ? Do you remember Dave Hall who was the moderator at IS ? He passed away shortly after IS went down from his Diabetes. We've always known these boards were here but since we made our own home we didn't need to go anywhere. Now that the game is nearing though it's a natural progression to wander back :lol: We been hashing all the same stuff over there as you guys do here. Just in much smaller numbers. Ahh you know how it goes...You just gotta get out once in awhile :D

MaxxQ1
22nd Jun 2010, 08:30
Okay, yeah... I definitely remember Manwhore. Had no clue at the time where the nick came from, having never seen Deuce Bigalow (still haven't seen it, btw - not my kind of movie), but yeah, a name like that is memorable.

I don't recall if I was even posting (or lurking, for that matter) when the ISA forums shut down.

Anyway, I certainly hope some of the others show up, and hopefully using their old ISA nicks, so I can at least remember them.

It's ok man to not remember there were alot of folks there. Remember the daily threads ? Do you remember Dave Hall who was the moderator at IS ? He passed away shortly after IS went down from his Diabetes. We've always known these boards were here but since we made our own home we didn't need to go anywhere. Now that the game is nearing though it's a natural progression to wander back :lol: We been hashing all the same stuff over there as you guys do here. Just in much smaller numbers. Ahh you know how it goes...You just gotta get out once in awhile :D

Yeah, I remember Dave. Sorry to hear he's gone.

Like I mentioned in the thread I linked to up there^^^, the only person I remember specifically, without a reminder from elsewhere is Stephen T Lavavej (or however it was spelled - STL-something - the guy who did the nuwen website). The only reason I remember him was because he was always talking about how he had the latest and greatest PC components and how Intel and nVidia were so *much* better than AMD and ATI. This would be about the time that IW was coming out. He always struck me as a bit arrogant, but I respected his intelligence (not to mention digging through the game to get all the info on his website).

Rappy
22nd Jun 2010, 08:41
Like I mentioned in the thread I linked to up there^^^, the only person I remember specifically, without a reminder from elsewhere is Stephen T Lavavej (or however it was spelled - STL-something - the guy who did the nuwen website). The only reason I remember him was because he was always talking about how he had the latest and greatest PC components and how Intel and nVidia were so *much* better than AMD and ATI. This would be about the time that IW was coming out. He always struck me as a bit arrogant, but I respected his intelligence (not to mention digging through the game to get all the info on his website).

Oh man :lol:

It's spelled Lah Wuh Wade :D

We had pictures made of that guy to illustrate various points :D

Manho221
22nd Jun 2010, 08:46
Okay, yeah... I definitely remember Manwhore. Had no clue at the time where the nick came from, having never seen Deuce Bigalow (still haven't seen it, btw - not my kind of movie), but yeah, a name like that is memorable.

I don't recall if I was even posting (or lurking, for that matter) when the ISA forums shut down.

Anyway, I certainly hope some of the others show up, and hopefully using their old ISA nicks, so I can at least remember them.

Yeah, I remember Dave. Sorry to hear he's gone.

As long as we are reliving glory days here's one for yah. Do you remember a poster I_am_the_Hydra ? and the thread he made where he went through the game killing the females and stacked the bodys so you could see up there skirts ? LOL That was a Hall of famer :D it was however very early after the release of the game so alot of folks missed it.

Manho221
22nd Jun 2010, 09:13
Have they had a thread here like "What's your PC spec's gonna be for DXHR" yet ? LoL I think we need one so we can see what kinda hardware everyone has :D

Rappy
22nd Jun 2010, 09:20
Have they had a thread here like "What's your PC spec's gonna be for DXHR" yet ? LoL I think we need one so we can see what kinda hardware everyone has :D

Yah now you can post your spec without feeling shame :D

"What's your PC spec's gonna be for DXHR"
"Xbox"
:mad2:
*ban*

MaxxQ1
22nd Jun 2010, 16:27
As long as we are reliving glory days here's one for yah. Do you remember a poster I_am_the_Hydra ? and the thread he made where he went through the game killing the females and stacked the bodys so you could see up there skirts ? LOL That was a Hall of famer :D it was however very early after the release of the game so alot of folks missed it.

Oh, yeah. I definitely remember Hydra *and* that thread. The shot I remember most is the one where he stacked several bodies on a set of stairs, one body per step. That **** was hilarious. Didn't he plan to (or actually do it) do the same thing in IW? Or was there a copycat by that time?

Yah now you can post your spec without feeling shame :D

"What's your PC spec's gonna be for DXHR"
"Xbox"
:mad2:
*ban*

Yeah, I'd like to see a thread like that, but unfortunately, in this forum, it'll break down into a "PC vs. Console" war, and we've already had several of those. Maybe if the thread specified "For PC users only".

In any case, my rig will actually be up to date by the time DX:HR comes out. I tend to upgrade every two years, and this is one of the few times where an anticipated game coincides with my upgrade schedule (provided my car doesn't need any costly work done on it - that's been happening a lot over the past few years). My biggest planned upgrade is finally making the jump from XP to Win7. I'll probably leave my Phenom II X4 920 in place, as well as the mobo, but the video card is definitely being swapped for a new one (currently have a Radeon 4850 HD), as is the sound card. My SBLive X-Gamer is about 5 years old now.

The only other upgrade I can think of at the moment is adding a Blu-Ray burner to my optical drive setup. I nomally keep two active optical drives - one reserved for burning, and the other for general use. ATM, though, I'm stuck with a single drive, as my older one just crapped out a few months ago.

Manho221
22nd Jun 2010, 16:42
Oh, yeah. I definitely remember Hydra *and* that thread. The shot I remember most is the one where he stacked several bodies on a set of stairs, one body per step. That **** was hilarious. Didn't he plan to (or actually do it) do the same thing in IW? Or was there a copycat by that time?

Yeah, I'd like to see a thread like that, but unfortunately, in this forum, it'll break down into a "PC vs. Console" war, and we've already had several of those. Maybe if the thread specified "For PC users only".

In any case, my rig will actually be up to date by the time DX:HR comes out. I tend to upgrade every two years, and this is one of the few times where an anticipated game coincides with my upgrade schedule (provided my car doesn't need any costly work done on it - that's been happening a lot over the past few years). My biggest planned upgrade is finally making the jump from XP to Win7. I'll probably leave my Phenom II X4 920 in place, as well as the mobo, but the video card is definitely being swapped for a new one (currently have a Radeon 4850 HD), as is the sound card. My SBLive X-Gamer is about 5 years old now.

The only other upgrade I can think of at the moment is adding a Blu-Ray burner to my optical drive setup. I nomally keep two active optical drives - one reserved for burning, and the other for general use. ATM, though, I'm stuck with a single drive, as my older one just crapped out a few months ago.

Heck I would say your spec's would be fine to run the game without and upgrade. I have a Phenom II 965 and a Radeon HD4890 and thats what I going with :thumb:

MaxxQ1
22nd Jun 2010, 17:06
Heck I would say your spec's would be fine to run the game without and upgrade. I have a Phenom II 965 and a Radeon HD4890 and thats what I going with :thumb:

Yeah, I know I'm fine as it is, but like I said, I try to stick to a 2 year cycle, and I'll be able to afford it (once Uncle Sam gives me back the money he's been keeping for me since January), so why not go for a better system?

A couple other reasons for the upgrade:

1) I do a little 3D modeling (nothing spectacular, and I still don't know how to animate or texture - I generally make the models and let someone else do the tex/anim work), and even my current videocard is having trouble when there are several million polys being manipulated. I have to admit though, that at the moment, I'm on hiatus from modeling, as I got a bit burned out over the winter, when I was out of work and spending most of every day doing nothing but modeling.

2) I want to upgrade to allow for HD Blu-Ray playback. To that end, I may also upgrade my monitor to a 1920x1080 23" screen, rather than my current 22" 1650x1080. There are several Blu-Ray movies available that I want to get, not least of which is the new release LotR collector's set, and the original Star Trek series. I don't own a TV of any sort, so all my movie-watching is done on my my comp.

3) After all these years, I'll finally have something that is fairly close to "the latest" in home-built rigs on a budget (aside from the proc and mobo). I *may* upgrade the proc, though, since the newer AMD hexacores are compatible with quadcore-capable mobos.

4) I still have my old case (from the last comp I bought pre-built - an Alienware - back in 2000), and a few other parts, so I also plan on taking the old stuff and building a rig for my kids.

Manho221
22nd Jun 2010, 20:18
Yeah, I know I'm fine as it is, but like I said, I try to stick to a 2 year cycle, and I'll be able to afford it (once Uncle Sam gives me back the money he's been keeping for me since January), so why not go for a better system?

A couple other reasons for the upgrade:

1) I do a little 3D modeling (nothing spectacular, and I still don't know how to animate or texture - I generally make the models and let someone else do the tex/anim work), and even my current videocard is having trouble when there are several million polys being manipulated. I have to admit though, that at the moment, I'm on hiatus from modeling, as I got a bit burned out over the winter, when I was out of work and spending most of every day doing nothing but modeling.

2) I want to upgrade to allow for HD Blu-Ray playback. To that end, I may also upgrade my monitor to a 1920x1080 23" screen, rather than my current 22" 1650x1080. There are several Blu-Ray movies available that I want to get, not least of which is the new release LotR collector's set, and the original Star Trek series. I don't own a TV of any sort, so all my movie-watching is done on my my comp.

3) After all these years, I'll finally have something that is fairly close to "the latest" in home-built rigs on a budget (aside from the proc and mobo). I *may* upgrade the proc, though, since the newer AMD hexacores are compatible with quadcore-capable mobos.

4) I still have my old case (from the last comp I bought pre-built - an Alienware - back in 2000), and a few other parts, so I also plan on taking the old stuff and building a rig for my kids.

Nice :thumb: I will be the last person to ever tell you not to upgrade. I would not mind another 4890 to x-fire, i think that would be fun. I can play everything now on ultra/high settings with no problems so I will probably just stay here till I need to upgrade again. Crysis 2 comes out in December of this year :D Maybe that will be the end of my ultra settings. hehe I run first gen Crysis just fine maxed out. Pretty game.

Keep us posted on your progress. I love yacking about hardware :thumb: